Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Visit My Mosque Day Fail

(Read 5247 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Visit My Mosque Day Fail
     OP - February 02, 2015, 09:04 PM

So in case no one has heard about it, yesterday was #VisitMyMosque day. The point was to open the doors to non muslims and enlighten the masses on their misconceptions of islam, wishing to show it as an open, modern, gender equal non discriminatory religion. Channel 4 News presenter Cathy Newman tried to take part in the open doors event and was turned away for being a woman. You cannot make this shit up...

"Well I just visited Streatham mosque for #VisitMyMosque day and was surprised to find myself ushered out of the door..."

"I was respectfully dressed, head covering and no shoes but a man ushered me back onto the street. I said I was there for #VisitMyMosque … but it made no difference."

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/02/cathy-newman-turned-away-from-mosque-on-visitmymosque-day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11382883/Cathy-Newman-ushered-out-of-mosque-on-national-open-day.html

Esmat Jeraj, a managing trustee for the Hyderi Islamic Centre, said she'd gone to the wrong mosque, one which wasn't expecting guests.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mixup-not-sexism-as-channel-4-presenter-cathy-newman-is-turned-away-from-a-mosque-on-visit-my-mosque-day-10016835.html

"We apologised for the incident earlier and clarified that she should not base that as an example of Islam."

Seriously?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #1 - February 02, 2015, 09:12 PM

Lol.

That reminds me, you're my POTM.

Hi
     Reply #2 - February 02, 2015, 09:18 PM

I think the bit that stood out to me the most was "Going to the wrong mosque, it wasn't expecting guests". That to me makes it seem like this is standard practise.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #3 - February 02, 2015, 09:20 PM

It is. They are super nervous about the press. Even when they have nothing to hide. I've seen it first hand.

Hi
     Reply #4 - February 02, 2015, 09:31 PM

Oh believe me I know it's standard practise. A lot of muslims want to convince people of an islam that doesn't really exist. It's like they think it does but at the same time they know it doesn't. The cognitive dissonance is actually quite amazing,

Reply #5 - February 03, 2015, 08:49 AM

"We apologised for the incident earlier and clarified that she should not base that as an example of Islam."

That shit again...

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #6 - February 03, 2015, 08:41 PM

That shit again...

Your avatar is remarkably apt.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #7 - February 03, 2015, 09:55 PM

Of course everyone is welcome!! As long as we know you are coming to visit! Grin

Reply #8 - February 04, 2015, 12:30 AM

I do feel for the people who tried to organize this event, though. I remember being in that position all the time. Trying to assure people that Islam really isn't so bad and Muslims are just normal people and we can be totally friendly and accepting, and then like right in the middle of this, with my luck, someone bursts through the door and says, "This just in! Some Muslims did something supremely shitty!"

I don't miss those days.
     Reply #9 - February 04, 2015, 06:00 AM

LOL this is too funny  Cheesy Cheesy Poor guys can't get anything right when it comes to public relations
     Reply #10 - February 06, 2015, 07:47 PM

Cathy Newman tried to take part in the open doors event and was turned away for being a woman. You cannot make this shit up

Could she have been stretching the truth?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/05/cathy-newman-mosque_n_6620026.html

Quote from: theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/06/channel-4-cathy-newman-apologises-mosque
    Ijaz said most of the congregation was at prayer when Newman turned up on Sunday, hence nobody official being around to speak with her. He claimed: “On the video, when the man is trying to direct her he thought she was asking for church. I can’t confirm if it was for church or for the Hyderi Centre. But we think he thought she mistakenly said church or the man took what she said wrongly. He is pointing his arm towards the church beside here.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Newman said in a statement: “As the primary purpose of Visit My Mosque day was to increase understanding of Islam, I was horrified to hear the mosque I visited in error has had death threats. I’m sorry for any misunderstanding there has been. I would be happy to pay a private visit to South London Islamic Centre once again.”

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #11 - April 19, 2017, 09:35 PM

So if that CCTV clip hadn't existed who would you have believed? A well educated middle class journalist/news presenter or a mosque rep in an afghan hat and shalwar suit?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »