Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: All about alcohol (beer, wine, whiskey, vodka etc.)!!!

(Read 28500 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • All about alcohol (beer, wine, whiskey, vodka etc.)!!!
     Reply #30 - January 27, 2015, 03:11 PM

You would then, I assume, ask also why people can't just enjoy the buzz they get from a dose of heroin or amphetamine from time to time?

I was prescribed some diazepam in the summer - sadly only one dose but it was good!

Humans mind enhance and "buzz" about everything!  Wearing glasses is sensory enhancement, spices enhance taste.  What is going on in the minds of formula one drivers during a race?

We have constructed social responses to some forms of "buzzing" - rules of war for example? - but isn't it time we looked at all the myriad ways we do this?

Arguably in terms of danger shops in Denmark selling their pastries are far more dangerous, and is not colour TV very dangerous by giving every one over doses of psychedelic visual experiences.  3D cinemas with surround sound are really dangerous!

Some religions have made rules about some stuff - is pork thought to be mind enhancing?  It is OK for men to mind enhance with four wives.

Maybe it is time to think through all our behaviours and use some principles, like maybe a presumption of freedom?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #31 - January 27, 2015, 03:17 PM

2.5 Million Alcohol-Related Deaths Worldwide- Annually

So marijuana is the best..

About 88,000 U.S. deaths each year traced to alcohol use, study says

Damn AMRIKA is always comes  first in everything...

Senior citizens who were at least 65 years old had the highest rate of alcohol-related deaths, at about 60.3 per 100,000 people. Meanwhile, those under the age of 20 suffered only 4.1 alcohol-related deaths per 100,000 people. Men were more than twice as likely as women to die of an alcohol-related cause, by a margin of 42.4 per 100,000 to 15.8 per 100,000.

hmm that is good to know ..All senior people stop drinking alcohol..  off course that is for AMRIKA..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #32 - January 27, 2015, 03:36 PM

I have never drank or tasted alcoholic drink. I am often curious of how it feels while drinking it. I have been searching about types of alcohol ever since I left Sunni Islam and became a Quranist.

How many of you (especially ex-Muslims) have tasted alcohol? What are your favourite types and brands? POST THEM HERE!

Well, we have different opinions on alcohol. Still I think we should go back to the main question of Honeybunch:

My favorite types and brands:
    - Beer Pilsner - brand: Veltins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins
    - Cider - brand: Strongbow
    - White Wine - no special brand, but I like Italian
    Probably you won't like it if you drink the first time, especially beer and wine are bitter and dry. So for you I would recommend cocktails, but be very careful with them. They contain a lot of sugar, so you don't realize the amount of alcohol in it. 

If you drink the first time, please keep in mind following advises:
    - Don't drink on an empty stomach!
    - Don't underestimated the amount of alcohol in cocktails and sweet drinks
    - Don't mix too much
    - Drink slowly.

cheers
     Reply #33 - January 27, 2015, 04:47 PM

Yeah. I totally get what you mean. It’s like, I can’t understand why people swim. Don’t they know how many fatalities stem from drowning and water-related accidents every single year? And please don’t get me started on those weirdoes who drive cars! Mother Nature gave us two feet for a reason! It’s probably not even safe for human beings to travel at 40mph. Then, the next thing you know, you’re addicted to driving. Who knows what that might do to your kidneys??

From my perspective, anyone who is not enjoying life through exactly the same means that I find enjoyable must have some sort of mental deficiency. Sky divers, surfers, rock climbers, mitten knitters, don’t these people appreciate the unnecessary risks they are subjecting themselves to?

Wow! Thank you so much for such a convincing demonstration of your total lack of understanding of my point. That must have taken some effort on your part.

My query is why people need to take a drug that distorts reality in order to enjoy themselves. Not how bad it may be for you.
     Reply #34 - January 27, 2015, 04:55 PM

No, I would not. No idea why you are assuming that.

As you are content for people to distort reality through imbibing one mind altering drug it seems reasonable to assume that you are content that people use other drugs, such as the ones I mentioned, for the same reason.

Well then, that is irrelevant to this thread because no one here said that their minds require drugs to function.

RTFP. I didn't say that they needed drugs for their minds to function, but rather they choose to take them in order that their minds function in a manner pleasing to them.

My, my. I had no idea that's the way I was heading to, but thanks for the heads-up. I suppose I will abstain from sex forever, too, otherwise I will most likely get AIDS and die.

Please, do not abstain from sex. Just for a change try it when someone else is with you. It's so much better.
     Reply #35 - January 27, 2015, 04:57 PM

Please, do not abstain from sex. Just for a change try it when someone else is with you. It's so much better.

Well, if this is your sober self talking, it's probably just as well that you don't drink.
     Reply #36 - January 27, 2015, 04:59 PM

As you are content for people to distort reality through imbibing one mind altering drug it seems reasonable to assume that you are content that people use other drugs, such as the ones I mentioned, for the same reason.........

..Helloo shootist.. didn't read you much So my greetings and good wishes to you ..

So of all the mind/behavior  altering drugs  which one you think is the best?
    my vote goes to  brain washing with sermonized religious potion.. Hmm I didn't know Bush had problems with drinking..

Reply #37 - January 27, 2015, 05:07 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for such a convincing demonstration of your total lack of understanding of my point. That must have taken some effort on your part.

My query is why people need to take a drug that distorts reality in order to enjoy themselves. Not how bad it may be for you.

So, you're asking why people might do something they find enjoyable in order to enjoy themselves. Gotcha.
     Reply #38 - January 27, 2015, 05:13 PM

..Helloo shootist.. didn't read you much So my greetings and good wishes to you ..

So of all the mind/behavior  altering drugs  which one you think is the best?
    my vote goes to  brain washing with sermonized religious potion.. Hmm I didn't know Bush had problems with drinking..

Greetings and good wishes to you also.

I can't say I 'like that one best' (not, technically, a drug) but it must be up there with the 'best' of them. I mean, something that can make millions of people act like complete berks while stone cold sober has to be respected. (respect in the manner that you handle a poisonous snake).

Bush never had a problem with drinking. He drank, he fell down, no problem.
     Reply #39 - January 27, 2015, 05:20 PM

Bush never had a problem with drinking. He drank, he fell down, no problem.

well i read that  from his wife.,

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/laura-bush-reveals-george-stopped-drinking/story?id=10552148

I can't say I 'like that one best' (not, technically, a drug) but it must be up there with the 'best' of them. I mean, something that can make millions of people act like complete berks while stone cold sober has to be respected. (respect in the manner that you handle a poisonous snake).

well my problem is with those who don't drink but act like Jerks.,

so you too had drinking problem?   did you stop drinking? what is the big deal if we drink one or two drinks in a social gathering?  off course over the limit is stupid and drinking and driving is criminal.,

Reply #40 - January 27, 2015, 05:31 PM

You realise you have to drink ALOT in order to 'distort reality'
    I had a beer with my lunch, ONE beer. And trust me nothing is distorted at all.

It was a nice refreshing drink that I rather enjoy with no intention of altering my state of mind.

There can be balance in all things. As humans and adults we have a right to choose to drink responsibly or not at all

You are speaking of extreme cases that honestly do not apply to everyone

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #41 - January 27, 2015, 05:42 PM

I had a beer with my lunch, ONE beer. And trust me nothing is distorted at all.

purelyatheist  sounds like  drunky chunky.,  well one beer is ok.. Stop it.,  i knew it  French are always do out of the box things..

Reply #42 - January 27, 2015, 05:44 PM

So, you're asking why people might do something they find enjoyable in order to enjoy themselves. Gotcha.

Close, but no cigar. I query what is enjoyable about distorting reality. I suppose it would depend upon the friends you were with, or if you find reality so thoroughly disagreeable.
     Reply #43 - January 27, 2015, 05:49 PM

Again, one or two drinks will NOT distort reality and is not most peoples intention of drinking.

Each case is different.

Most of us drink socially or because we enjoy the occasional drink.

I don't drink out of depression, or to distort anything. I drink because once in a while its enjoyable and I like the taste of what i drink. I don't see how thats some sort of crime or taboo or in anyway comparison to me taking mind altering drugs.

Explain to me how one beer or glass of wine alters my state of reality please. 

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

Reply #44 - January 27, 2015, 05:56 PM

Close, but no cigar. I query what is enjoyable about distorting reality. I suppose it would depend upon the friends you were with, or if you find reality so thoroughly disagreeable.

Grin So over the top. I have to ask, have you ever had a drink? Is that the way things are to you – either you don’t drink at all or reality is so “thoroughly disagreeable” that it needs to be “distorted?”

Personally speaking, I brew my own beer. I enjoy the taste. I enjoy the subtle differences between brews and appreciate what craft breweries are doing these days. I also enjoy the buzz. It feels good. Therefore, I enjoy it.

I also enjoy sunshine. That does not mean I find raindrops on roses “thoroughly disagreeable.” I enjoy snowball fights. That does not mean I find summer days at the beach “thoroughly disagreeable.” I enjoy solitary walks through the park. That does not mean I find being around friends “thoroughly disagreeable.”

I guess I can understand the appeal of absolute, all or nothing thinking. I was, after all, once a Muslim. Life is so much more colorful when you trust yourself enough to live less rigidly.
     Reply #45 - January 27, 2015, 06:07 PM

I also enjoy sunshine. That does not mean I find raindrops ...............

Most of guys don't know what happyM's  "sunshine"  or moonshine  is

Reply #46 - January 27, 2015, 06:20 PM

You are speaking of extreme cases that honestly do not apply to everyone

Pretty much your answer in a nutshell, Shootist.
     Reply #47 - January 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

The UK drinking nightclub scene is a little over the top though, were probably the worst drinkers on the planet.  My daughters friend died a couple of months ago, he was too drunk and fell off a bridge, some people just don't know their limits (including myself, got myself into all kinds of trouble while drunk) i think that is the problem rather than alcohol itself, a couple of drinks can help you relax and wind down like nothing else can, well apart from weed lol, wish they could make a lighter version of weed legal so that we didnt need to drink so much.
     Reply #48 - January 27, 2015, 09:50 PM

I think its when you NEED to drink that it's a problem and not when you just want an occasional drink.
    If you are unsure of your limits and know you get drunk easily, probably better to stay away and a respectful decision.

Reply #49 - January 28, 2015, 02:44 AM

This is a ridiculous assumption, that there is a static and communal ¨reality¨. There is no such thing. You could have a doppelganger in another part of the world, living a life identical to yours, and feeling such depression about it that they are planning their vacation right now.

Reality is highly personal. Every person has their own unique filter through which they view the world.

My son was born different from myself. Normal levels of activity in a classroom creates enough noise that he cannot function in it. If I take him to a grocery store he cannot look around for more than a few minutes, because the variety of colors and shapes and words overwhelms his senses. He has to look down, away from the shelves, for most of the trip.

So when your neighbor is smoking a joint, he might be making the world bearable. He might be enhancing his filter so he can live in the same world that you do, without it being distorted and crazy.

You do not get to define reality for everyone. You cannot. No one else lives in your world. So don't judge anyone for living in theirs.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #50 - January 28, 2015, 05:53 AM

I think a large part of the attraction is that being off your face makes dealing with superior bastards so much more amusing.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #51 - January 28, 2015, 07:59 AM

You do not get to define reality for everyone. You cannot. No one else lives in your world. So don't judge anyone for living in theirs.

Is not that what religions do?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #52 - January 28, 2015, 09:31 AM

Again, one or two drinks will NOT distort reality and is not most peoples intention of drinking.

I'm sure that very few people think "I'm going to have a drink to distort reality." But it is common to hear people say they're going to have a drink to relax after a hard day, or they like drinking as they can have fun.

Even a small amount of alcohol can affect your perception. The British Medical Association produced a report on drinking and driving. I read this while doing my training course for Road Traffic duty training. It was conservatively estimated that a person just under the drink driving limit, and that's possibly with just one large glass of wine, is three times more likely to be involved in a road traffic collision. That's just one example. On a personal basis, my sport when I was with the RAF was fencing. My first RAF (junior) championship I was doing well in the morning. At lunch I had a half pint of lager. I felt absolutely fine. My first few matches after lunch were a complete disaster. Fencing requires fast reactions and my reactions were shot, after just one half of lager.

Neither have I had a problem with alcohol. As a young man I drank to excess often but was lucky not to come to harm through it. I largely drank then because just about all social life revolved around alcohol. It's a bit like smoking cigarettes, something else I used to do. It is a quite vile habit that requires considerable determination to start doing in order to overcome the nausea and coughing it causes. People start for just one reason, peer pressure.

But, the parallel between alcohol and other drugs cannot be ignored. The are a lot of people who use heroin on a casual basis but are not addicts, yet most people who drink alcohol would look down upon heroin users and not recognise that they are in the same class.
     Reply #53 - January 28, 2015, 09:44 AM

(not ex muslim)
    The first time I was drunk (18) a guy in my class who looked old enough to buy alcohol took orders and since I couldn't tell him I hadn't got a clue about these things I just said, "I just want a quarter bottle of vodka, I don't wanna get too drunk"...
    Ah, famous last words! I was called "Mister puke" for the rest of that year.

Hahaha. Well I have read that vodka has very high ABV.
    Quarter bottle of vodka + never drank alcohol = misery

:
    - Don't drink on an empty stomach!

Oh sure.  I have been hospitalised twice due to gastritis / gastrointestinal disease / stomachache last year caused by stomach often empty.

What types of alcoholic drink that taste "bittersweet"? But not "citrus" type of alcoholic drinks like wine. I love dark chocolate that's why I am asking this. Maybe after I have finished school (A-level equivalence) (I am 19 btw), I would try Bacardi Breezers as an amateur.

Religions + Politics = Problem
     Reply #54 - January 28, 2015, 10:47 AM

I'm sure that very few people think "I'm going to have a drink to distort reality." But it is common to hear people say they're going to have a drink to relax after a hard day, or they like drinking as they can have fun.

Even a small amount of alcohol can affect your perception. The British Medical Association produced a report on drinking and driving. I read this while doing my training course for Road Traffic duty training. It was conservatively estimated that a person just under the drink driving limit, and that's possibly with just one large glass of wine, is three times more likely to be involved in a road traffic collision. That's just one example. On a personal basis, my sport when I was with the RAF was fencing. My first RAF (junior) championship I was doing well in the morning. At lunch I had a half pint of lager. I felt absolutely fine. My first few matches after lunch were a complete disaster. Fencing requires fast reactions ...

Bollocks. The hardest part is digging the holes for the posts. Once you have that sorted the rest is a piece of cake.

Reply #55 - January 28, 2015, 11:25 AM

"Bollocks. The hardest part is digging the holes for the posts. Once you have that sorted the rest is a piece of cake."

No, the hardest part of fencing is when you try to sell your ill gotten booty to an undercover cop. It makes no difference if it's a piece of cake stolen to order, or an ipad - accepting you've been busted is the hardest part of fencing, IMHO. yes

Ha Ha.
     Reply #56 - January 29, 2015, 01:31 AM

Only sell to bent coppers. Wink

Reply #57 - January 29, 2015, 02:26 AM

Is not that what religions do?

Not all of them.

Reply #58 - January 29, 2015, 02:54 AM

well this beer, wine, whisky, rum alcohol thread seems to be most important of all in CEMB ., Let me change that to learn about a Jewish boy named as Aaron Swartz

His Curriculum vitae is so impressive., I am sure you all would like to learn more about him than writing something about Drink or not to drink alcohol beverages..

Aaron Hillel Swartz born on November 8, 1986  

17 year old Swartz volunteered as an editor at Wikipedia, and in 2006, he ran unsuccessfully for the Wikimedia Foundation's Board of Trustees. questioned Jimmy wales of uncle wiki..

In 2008, Swartz founded Watchdog.net, "the good government site with teeth," to aggregate and visualize data about politicians.In the same year, he wrote a widely circulated Guerilla Open Access Manifesto

Swartz was instrumental in the campaign to prevent passage of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), which sought to combat Internet copyright violations but was criticized on the basis that it would have made it easier for the U.S. government to shut down web sites accused of violating copyright

Aaron was first to realize how important is freedom of information and on line Open Library  and he wrote the script to  "one web page for every book ever published".  

In 2008, Swartz downloaded and released about 2.7 million federal court documents stored in the PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) database managed by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.

On December 27, 2010, Swartz filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to learn about the treatment of Chelsea Manning, alleged source for WikiLeaks.

In 2011–2012, Swartz and Kevin Poulsen designed and implemented DeadDrop, a system that allows anonymous informants to send electronic documents without fear of disclosure.

According to state and federal authorities, Swartz used JSTOR, a digital repository, to download a large number[ii] of academic journal articles through MIT's computer network over the course of a few weeks in late 2010 and early 2011. At the time, Swartz was a research fellow at Harvard University

On the night of January 6, 2011, Swartz was arrested near the Harvard campus by MIT police and a U.S. Secret Service agent. He was arraigned in Cambridge District Court on two state charges of breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony.

On September 12, 2012, federal prosecutors filed a superseding indictment adding nine more felony counts, which increased Swartz's maximum criminal exposure to 50 years of imprisonment and $1 million in fines.

On the evening of January 11, 2013, Swartz was found dead in his Brooklyn apartment by his partner, Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman.  A spokeswoman for New York's Medical Examiner reported that he had hanged himself.[94][95][96][97] No suicide note was found

well that is the story of  the internet boy and freedom fighter Aaron Swartz..  so let us watch the story of  Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXr-2hwTk58

Reply #59 - January 29, 2015, 03:37 AM

Oh no. That is so sad. We needed him.

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »