(not ex muslim)
The first time I was drunk (18) a guy in my class who looked old enough to buy alcohol took orders and since I couldn't tell him I hadn't got a clue about these things I just said, "I just want a quarter bottle of vodka, I don't wanna get too drunk"...
Ah, famous last words! I was called "Mister puke" for the rest of that year.
I drink beer, wine, schnapps and absinthe... or whatever is the choice for the season. When it comes to drinks I tend to gravitate to the rum based ones like Mojito. Nowadays unfortunately many of my friends don't drink so I end up at parties with goddamn hippies. The kind who dance without being drunk.
1. Don't drink with Finns or it will come at a cost
2. Under no circumstance will you drink with Russians (or persons from any other former Soviet state). Any way you look at it it will end up wrong
3. (girls) In a bar, drink beer from bottle, not tap.
4. Don't underestimate the alcohol level in wine.
5. Be extra super cautious on work related dinners/parties!
6. It's also perfectly OK not to drink. But don't drop lines like "I don't drink, I get high on life", just say you don't like it.
I know an ex-muslim who is now a professional brewer/distiller. That's maybe overdoing it a bit.