Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Mauritania court sentences Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir, 28, to death

(Read 3628 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Mauritania court sentences Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir, 28, to death
     OP - January 18, 2015, 09:35 PM

Mauritania  court  sentences Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir, 28,  to death for “insulting” Prophet  says news

28 year old Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir,...
    A court in Mauritania on Thursday sentenced a man to death for “insulting” the founder of Islam.

The man, Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir, 28, was arrested a year ago for writing an article that was interpreted by some as being critical of the Prophet Muhammad and saying that Mauritania allows a discriminatory caste system, an extremely delicate subject in a country with deep social and racial divisions.

The author, who has also been identified by some news agencies as Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mohamed, has said that his article has been misinterpreted. The prosecution asked for the death penalty to be carried out in accordance with Shariah and recommended that he be shot. Mauritania last applied the death penalty in 1987...

That news from Dec2014.. let us  keep touch with that case from another West African sand land..  I am not sure what he wrote but he landed in to that Blasphemy/apostasy death knell of Islam..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - January 18, 2015, 11:23 PM

Another news  from that vast sand land Mauritania says Mauritania activists jailed as police quash resurgent anti-slavery protests

Supporters of Mauritania’s former presidential candidate and anti-slavery activist Biram Dah Abeid in Nouackchott

Police used teargas to disperse protesters, after three anti-slavery activists – including a presidential runner-up – were jailed amid a resurgent anti-slavery movement in the nation with the world’s highest rate of the practice.

Biram Ould Abeid, the head of an anti-slavery group, who came second in presidential polls in Mauritania last year, was handed a two-year jail sentence alongside fellow human rights defenders Brahim Bilal and Djiby Sow.

Himself the son of freed slaves, Ould Abeid and seven others were arrested in November, after they began criss-crossing the desert country to raise awareness of land rights among Haratines, or black Mauritanians, who were historically enslaved by lighter-skinned compatriots. Haratines are often forced to give up a portion of their crops to the traditional masters.

But Mauritanian authorities accused Ould Abeid’s Initiative for the Resurgence of the Abolitionist Movement of spreading “racist propaganda” during its caravan, arresting him and shutting down the organisation’s headquarters in the capital, Nouakchott. Bilal and Sow were arrested for calling for protests against the detention of their colleague.

Look at that Idiots ... Banning bloody slavery in that country means Spreading  racist propaganda” .. A classic clash of Arabs in power in the name of Islam and Sharia law and African nomads who lived in that lands for more than 5000 years..

Reply #2 - January 19, 2015, 07:45 AM

What pisses me off the most is that people like him more often than not get sentences like that not because of their criticism of religion, but because of their criticism of establishment/government. Religion is just used as a justification to calm people down.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #3 - January 19, 2015, 07:25 PM

Does anyone know what he actually wrote? The NYTimes article doesn't link to anything relevant.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - November 10, 2017, 01:42 PM

Does anyone know what he actually wrote? The NYTimes article doesn't link to anything relevant.

that is what osmanthus long gonefrom CEMB said  two  years ago on Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mkhaitir..   andtoday's BBC news  on MOHAMED CHEIKH OULD MOHAMED MKHAITIR  says

Mauritanian blogger's death sentence cut to two years

An appeals court in Mauritania has reduced a death sentence given to a blogger to a two-year jail term.
    Mohamed Cheikh Ould Mohamed M'khaitir was convicted of blasphemy in 2014.
    He will be set free as he has spent more than two years in jail. His lawyer called the news a "great victory".

The blogger's article was considered insulting to the Muslim Prophet Muhammad, although he said it was meant to criticise the use of religion to justify discrimination.
    'Huge relief'

..........His blog was accused of questioning choices made by the Prophet Muhammad during holy wars in the 7th Century.   It also attacked the mistreatment of black Mauritanians who he argued were discriminated from birth..............

The case, in the north-western city of Nouadhibou, has divided the country, an Islamic republic. As the appeal opened on Wednesday, conservative Muslim protesters were demanding his execution by hanging.

But Alioune Tine from Human Rights group Amnesty International said his release was "a huge relief" because he had "been jailed for nearly four years simply for peacefully expressing his opinions". His lawyer Fatimata Mbaye told the AFP news agency that: "The law has been pronounced and religion has been respected".  

well that is good news but like "Muhammad" the first preacher of Islam this 21st century Muhammad of Mauritanian is Not out of danger .. Same problem continues for the past 14 centuries.,  Some one tries to Question RULES OF THE POWER HUNGRY RULERS    .. put him in jail for blasphemy and kill  him and..and write  stories about him..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6e6KzeBp1E

well lot  more bloggers are in dungeon jails for blasphemy and 10s of 1000s more are keeping quite for the fear of those   dungeon jails

Reply #5 - August 03, 2019, 02:21 PM

that i posted 5 years  ago~...  and today's news  from aljazeera.com  says..  Mauritania blogger once given death penalty for 'blasphemy' freed  with this picture

A blogger in Mauritania who drew international attention after he was sentenced to death over blasphemy has been released, his lawyer and campaign group Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said.

Cheikh Ould Mohamed Ould Mkhaitir, 36, was sentenced to death in 2014 over a Facebook post about Islam, but was then given a jail term on appeal.

He remained in detention despite having already served the sentence - a situation that sparked a chorus of protests by rights groups.

"[He] was released yesterday from the place where he was under house arrest ... [but] is not completely free in his movement," Mkhaitir's lawyer Fatimata Mbaye told AFP news agency.

Mkhaitir "is no longer in Nouakchott", the Mauritanian capital, Mbaye said, without giving further details.

RSF Secretary-General Christophe Deloire said in a statement: "We are deeply relieved that he has finally been freed after being held for more than five and a half years in almost total isolation."

"For nothing more than a social network post, he was subjected to a terrible ordeal that violated a decision by his country's own judicial system. This blogger was francophone Africa's longest-held citizen-journalist," Deloire said.

RSF shared a video on Twitter celebrating Mkhaitir's release.

Mkhaitir's release came in the final days of the presidency of Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, who had previously argued that freeing Mkhaitir would endanger the blogger as well as the public.

well  that is the news., I am so glad to hear that but still he is in danger.. My hope is he gets out of that hell hole  for some time ASAP...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1156208606024523776

well that link gives me he talking ...So glad to see that.. but 5 years of life is lost.. Could these rogues give back his time??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVr53zdXaBY

look at that OoolD ROGUE..the mullah of Mauritania ..

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »