Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Book recommendations & reviews

(Read 7996 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Book recommendations & reviews
     OP - January 08, 2015, 05:49 PM

I'll start by recommending a book that I have already reviewed on Amazon.

I have noticed the odd reviewer or two who criticise Mlodinow for his lack of "mathematical maturity" .  As a previous reviewer has pointed out, there is an obvious trade off between maintaining rigor and providing a book which is easily accessible. The latter approach characterises the essence of this book, it is a book for the average reader who does not have much or any prior knowledge of the topics discussed.

If anything, this book is a history of randomness, designed to whet your appetite. Mlodinow does a good job of illustrating the very counter intuitive nature of probability and why we aren't hardwired to understand it.
    From the stock market to Hollywood, we habitually underestimate the effects of randomness.

If you want to see the mathematics behind stochastic processes, look elsewhere.

If you would like a non-technical introduction to the concept of randomness, look no further.

The verdict:

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #1 - February 14, 2015, 07:57 AM

No more needs to be said, this is an absolute classic.

The author's usage of language can be quite awkward however, but this should be treated with respect to the period that the book was written in.

Reply #2 - February 14, 2015, 08:24 AM

An unexpected gem that had me go to the secondhand bookshop and buy five more of his books.

Set on a large south sea island. British colonial bureaucrats subtly skewered. Anthropologists skewered. The most sympathetic character a champagne-drinking, womanising, Old Etonian Sultan, a Mohamedan of course,
     Reply #3 - February 14, 2015, 08:33 AM

I've just realised that I only have one fiction book sitting on my shelf  mysmilie_977

Reply #4 - February 14, 2015, 01:08 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

No more needs to be said, this is an absolute classic.

The author's usage of language can be quite awkward however, but this should be treated with respect to the period that the book was written in.

I have read this book in one of my 4 hour long breaks, Qtian. It sure as Hell makes the subject more bearable to study.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #5 - February 14, 2015, 01:10 PM

It's because most stats teachers aren't statisticians, they probably don't understand how to teach statistics either. That's why it comes across as being boring Tongue

The more one studies statistics, the more they should realise that it has a strong connection to philosophy.

Also, the fact of the matter is that A level stats is severely diluted, you don't touch any of the fun things such as random walks. And the little bit of probability that you will do is mostly based on a frequentist interpretation.

Heck, many scientists don't understand statistics either.

Reply #6 - February 14, 2015, 01:17 PM

True. Qtian, oh wise one teach me how to predict the future, using a series of statistical analysis.

This book is great for beginners. When it comes to body language. The clothing section and personal space section are incredibly useful.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
     Reply #7 - February 14, 2015, 01:21 PM

If only  Cry

The "Why?" is just as (or maybe more) important than the "How?". Unfortunately, you'll never touch the former in A levels.

• Book recommendations & reviews / Off topic Statistics thread
     Reply #8 - February 14, 2015, 01:26 PM

For instance, I remember posing such a simple question to a PhD student who was talking about linear regression with reference to earthquakes.

I asked him what's the point, when the empirical impact of most earthquakes is clearly non linear. His answer was "because it's easier".

To be fair, he was teaching an introductory course, but it's still annoying :@

Reply #9 - February 14, 2015, 01:29 PM

I see. It is interesting. It's fun to play with maths. And that's what statistics is to me.

Reply #10 - February 14, 2015, 01:35 PM

I think it's important to realise from the outset that statistics is not maths.

Here's a very good post on the topic.

Statistics Is Not Math

“Here is a column of a couple of dozen numbers. From them, calculate the mean and standard deviation. When you are finished—it should take you a good fifteen to twenty minutes—report back to me.”

So goes the instruction in many, if not most or even all, undergraduate statistics courses across the land. Part of the reason this is so is nostalgia. Professors learn statistics in a certain way; they naturally teach it in that same way. Running through endless examples of plugging numbers into calculators and pressing certain buttons are what they did while growing up and, by God, what was good enough for them, is good enough for students. So what if the students forget why they’ve done it?

This inertia is a quirk of human nature and is common in any field of instruction: its limitations are overcome easily by all serious students. Far more restraining, however, are the pernicious effects of the belief that statistics is a branch of mathematics.

Statistics is not math; neither is probability. It is true that math has proven unreasonably effective in understanding statistics, but it is not, as Wigner suggested for the relationship between physics and mathematics, the best, or at least not the sole, language to describe its workings.

That language is philosophical. Just think: statistics self-named purpose is to compile evidence to use in quantifying uncertainty in (self-selected) hypotheses. How this evidence bears on the hypotheses may be best described mathematically, but why it does so cannot be. It also cannot be that because statistics uses so much math that it is math. This would be equivalent to saying that accounting is a branch of mathematics because it too rests on multitudinous calculations.

Statistics rightly belongs to epistemology, the philosophy of how we know what we know. Probability and statistics can even be called quantitative epistemology. Our axioms concern themselves with what probability means; that is, of the interpretation of uncertainty. But we abandon those axioms too quickly, choosing instead to follow the path of equations, nearly always skimping on what those equations actually mean.

To master probability and statistics requires mastering a great chunk of math. But we begin to go wrong when we mindlessly apply equations in inappropriate situations because of the allure of quantification. Worse, we routinely reify the mathematics; for example, p-values positively wriggle with life: to most, they are mysterious magic numbers. Equations become a scapegoat: when what was supposed to have been true or likely because of statistical calculation turns out to be false and even ridiculous, the culprits who touted the falsity point the finger of blame at the math.

Philosophy sharpens the mind. It teaches us to recognize and eliminate sloppy thinking and writing, two elements rife in our field. If people spent more time thinking about what they are saying and doing, much error would be reduced or eliminated.

I’ll give just one example. Ask any statistician for the definition of a confidence interval. Chances are overwhelming that he’ll tell you something false. But he’ll believe the falsity, and because of that, he’ll go on using confidence intervals, interpreting them wrongly, and he’ll justify their use because, well, because they are being used. The reason this behavior persists is sloppy writing on the part of textbook writers: flaws which could have been largely eliminated had the authors had some philosophical training.

What is a confidence interval? It is an equation, of course, that will provide you an interval for your data. It is meant to provide a measure of the uncertainty of a parameter estimate. Now, strictly according to frequentist theory—which we can even assume is true—the only thing you can say about the CI you have in hand is that the true value of the parameter lies within it or that it does not. This is a tautology, therefore it is always true. Thus, the CI provides no measure of uncertainty at all: in fact, it is a useless exercise to compute one.

But ask your neighborhood statistician and you will hear words about “95% confidence”, about “long runs”, about “other experiments”, etc., etc. These poorly chosen phrases are a bar to clear thinking. They make the utterer forget that all he can say is some tautological, and therefore trivial, truth. He has concentrated on the math, making sure to divide by n minus one in the appropriate place, etc., and has not given any time to consider why the calculation exists.

Much nonsense in the last century has been promulgated because of sloppy thinking in statistics. It is time to stop thinking about the mathematics and more on the meaning.

Statistics rightly belongs to epistemology, not mathematics.

Reply #11 - February 14, 2015, 01:41 PM

Why can't you be my statistics teacher, Qtian?  Cry
    That has somehow made want to revise statistics now. Now that I have a somewhat new perspective on it.

Reply #12 - February 14, 2015, 01:43 PM

That is a mystery, Hash.

Reply #13 - February 14, 2015, 01:57 PM

Briggs (the guy who wrote the above post) is such a boss.

Reply #14 - February 14, 2015, 02:50 PM

I will definitely check him out.

Reply #15 - February 14, 2015, 03:51 PM

A good example of what we've been discussing is that students are constantly taught about "n>=30" in central limit theorem, it's often portrayed as some sort of axiom.

I have a classic textbook on my shelf which reinforces the above belief.

Reply #16 - February 14, 2015, 05:49 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

(Clicky for piccy!)

i just scanned through those two books...  I would suggest to every member of CEMB to read them....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #17 - February 14, 2015, 06:09 PM

I can offer free e-versions of the books to anyone who is interested. However, nothing beats a paperback.

Reply #18 - February 14, 2015, 07:57 PM

Or a hardback.
     Reply #19 - February 14, 2015, 08:37 PM

True. I tend to prefer textbooks in hardback form whilst I enjoy paperbacks/perfect paperbacks for general reading. I also have a thing for used books, I don't like new ones.

Reply #20 - February 15, 2015, 01:58 PM

Hey, Qtian, have you read The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb? It's filled with stuff about randomness and our refusal to accept that events can hinge on completely unpredictable things.
     Reply #21 - February 15, 2015, 02:02 PM

Yeah, it's a bit too long winded, polemical & self congratulatory for my liking.

I think that Taleb did a much better job with Fooled by Randomness, which covers much of the same material, only far quicker.

Reply #22 - February 15, 2015, 02:19 PM

I also liked the fact that Taleb did mention Hayek in a positive light, it seems that Hayek and his views have been swept under the rug even though there is merit in theories such as The Mises-Hayek model.

Reply #23 - February 15, 2015, 02:24 PM

Here's an example:

Reply #24 - February 15, 2015, 09:19 PM

Is that the example of aspects of central limit theorem that are taken as axiomatic?
     Reply #25 - February 16, 2015, 02:34 AM

Nope, it's with reference to the mises-hayek model.

Reply #26 - February 16, 2015, 01:32 PM

Disciplined Minds by Jeff Schmidt

One of the few books I've had the chance to read of late. Details how and why graduate education creates conformity, especially of a political variety, and addresses how to resist. Writing style a bit dry and repetitive at times, which might be expected of a Physics PhD,, but otherwise is a stellar and illuminating read that I'd recommend to anyone looking to enter into graduate studies.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #27 - February 26, 2015, 10:06 AM

The final revision of this classic bestseller, the 7th edition defines the common thread linking the world's greatest economic thinkers and explores the philosophies that motivate them.

Hailed by Galbraith as a "brilliant achievement", The Worldly Philosophers with over 2 million copies sold worldwide, not only enables us to see more deeply into our history, but helps us to better understand our own times.

Heilbroner provides the new theme that connects thinkers as different as Adam Smith and Karl Marx: the desire to understand how a capitalist society works. A new chapter conveys a concern that today's increasingly "scientific" economics may overlook fundamental social and political issues that are central to economics.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »