Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Deadly attack on office of French magazine Charlie Hebdo

(Read 78044 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 17 18 1920 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Deadly attack on office of French magazine Charlie Hebdo
     Reply #540 - February 28, 2015, 02:08 PM

Nice find.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #541 - February 28, 2015, 02:13 PM

More links for Molla Nasreddin

http://www.slavsandtatars.com/works.php?id=72

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/molla-nasreddin-ii-political-and-social-weekly

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/jun/24/slavs-tatars-molla-nasreddin-review

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-magazine-that-almost-changed-the-world

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/sep/18/when-satire-conquered-iran-molla-nasreddin/

https://vimeo.com/28123141
     Reply #542 - February 28, 2015, 03:24 PM

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=13497.0
     Reply #543 - February 28, 2015, 05:58 PM

Great to know that there's an effort to preserve this important history...

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #544 - March 10, 2015, 09:57 PM

A long article on the Charlie Hebdo attack and the reaction from the left

After the attacks on Charlie Hebdo and the Hyper Cacher Jewish supermarket: thinking through the new and rethinking the old - Pierre Rousset

http://siawi.org/article9147.html
     Reply #545 - March 10, 2015, 10:12 PM

(Posthumous) Islamist Comedy Award for Charlie Hebdo: http://blog.thecst.org.uk/?p=5285

@J_Bloodworth

Sometimes an organisation reveals its true nature by deliberately behaving in a way that others can only interpret as blatantly stupid, crass and offensive. This happened last week with Islamist-prisoner advocacy group, CAGE, whose director referred to a notorious Islamic State beheader as having been “a beautiful young man”: not so much Jihadi John as Jilted John.

Some of the outrage against CAGE was rightly directed against the Quaker-linked Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust, which had given hundreds of thousands of pounds funding to the group.

Now, another past recipient of the Trust’s generosity has also soiled the sheets: the Islamic Human Rights Commission, who have given an “Islamophobia Award” to the staff of Charlie Hebdo. This, barely two months after eleven people were murdered by a terrorist at Hebdo’s Paris headquarters. IHRC also made four “positive” awards: recipients did not include Ahmed Merabet, the (French Muslim) police officer who was murdered outside the Hebdo offices as he lay wounded on the pavement.

Rowntree gave the IHRC £60,000 from 2005 to 2007. The funding ended shortly after IHRC’s “Prisoners of Faith Campaign Pack” for convicted terrorist Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman (pdf here).

IHRC is an Islamist advocacy group that organises London’s al-Quds Rally, an annual event called by the late Ayatollah Khomeini to demand Israel’s destruction. The rally’s Iranian and Lebanese iterations are especially prone to venomous anti-Israel and anti-American hatred.

IHRC also organises another annual event, the Islamophobia Awards. IHRC claim it helps to show that Muslims have a sense of humour: something that is notably absent from the fascistic al-Quds rallies by Hizbollah, Revolutionary Guards and others in Beirut, Teheran and elsewhere.

This year’s Islamophobia Awards went to Maajid Nawaz, Theresa May, Fox News, American Sniper…and the staff of Charlie Hebdo. The event was covered by Iranian broadcaster Press TV. Their two minute news segment concluded:

" None of the winners of the Islamophobia Awards were present to pick up this dubious accolade"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hiWXwPfeWA

Like its Iranian paymasters, Press TV is no laughing matter (even including George Galloway’s programmes for them). So, we can assume that the above was an unfortunate choice of words: rather than a case of adding mere insult to deadly injury.

Aaron Keily of the National Executive of the National Union of Students has enthusiastically tweeted about the event, including a picture of a promotional brochure with positive messages from columnist Peter Oborne and the former Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams, who states:

"it is crucial to have people who challenge [negative stereotypes]…These awards are of great significance in such a task and I send my congratulations and warm greetings to all involved."

Jews have long known that the stupidity and power of racism makes it a highly suitable target for satire. Nevertheless, it is counter-productive lunacy to think that the fight against contemporary anti-Muslim hatred is helped by giving sarcastic awards to the victims of Jihadist terrorism.

http://blog.thecst.org.uk/?p=5285

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

SHORTLISTED nominees are:

UK:

- UKIP

- Richard Dawkins

- Maajid Nawaz

- Tommy Robinson

Book/Movie/TV Series:

- Citizen Khan

- Exodus: Gods and Kings

- Homeland

- American Sniper

News Media:

- FOX News

- Sam Harris

- Douglas Murray

- Katie Hopkins

International:

- Benjamin Netanyahu

- Charlie Hebdo

- Bill Maher

- Barack Obama

Winners will be announced on Saturday, 7 March from 7pm onwards. Watch live online at ihrc.tv

Notes to editors:

Press wanting to cover the event should register by contacting nadia@ihrc.org or call +44 208 904 4222 - camera crews must arrive by 6.15pm at the latest and please make clear if you need space for a fixed camera.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IHRC is an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations.

Islamic Human Rights Commission

PO Box 598

Wembley

HA9 7XH

United Kingdom

Telephone (+44) 20 8904 4222

Email: info@ihrc.org

Web: www.ihrc.org

Twitter @ihrc

http://www.ihrc.org.uk/activities/press-releases/11373-press-release-uk-islamophobia-awards-2015-shortlist-released

They have representation at the UN?  Huh?  Cry  finmad
     Reply #546 - March 10, 2015, 11:17 PM

To be fair, Citizen Khan is pretty shit.
     Reply #547 - March 10, 2015, 11:17 PM

Beautiful

Apparently they have "consultative status" with the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs

Wikipedia: Islamic Human Rights Commission

IHRC produces country reports on human rights abuses e.g. Nigeria.[50][51] It also submits reports to the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) mechanism at the United Nations. The list of countries it has submitted reports on in the period 2007 – 2010 are: Iraq, China, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, France, Sri Lanka, The Philippines, Tunisia, Morocco, India, Bahrain, United Kingdom.[52]

also

It has also produced several critical works overviewing anti-terrorism laws, particularly in the UK. Its 2006 report 'Anti-terrorism: A Modern day Witch-hunt' by Fahad Ansari was praised by Tony Benn and Bruce Kent. According to Benn:

Scholarly work of this kind helps us by emphasising the importance of Civil Liberties to all communities.[54]

Kent stated it was a:

... most interesting – and shocking – terrorism report... it will do much good.[54]

Another quote from the Wikipedia article:

...according to the now defunct Awaaz, the IHRC is "a radical Islamist organisation that uses the language of human rights to promote an extremist agenda including the adoption of shariah law".[5] In a report entitled "The Islamist Right – key tendencies", Awaaz also states the IHRC is part of a corpus of right-wing Islamist and neo-Khomeiniist organisations,[6] a charge the IHRC denies.[7] Awaaz's claims were echoed by journalist Melanie Phillips, who stated in The Spectator that the IHRC was, "the most conspicuous promoter of Khomeini jihadism in the UK, ... [and] is said to be close to Iran."[8]

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #548 - March 11, 2015, 08:24 AM

One day people will decide that "Islamophobe" is a badge of honour, and then what will these people do?

Until they seize state apparatus like the communists, the power of them branding people "Islamophobe" is that the wider society (generally) shuns (overt) bigots.

By expanding the term (let's not discuss how legitimate the term even is, as I agree that anti-Muslim bigotry is a much better term. Let's assume they are trying to convey the same idea) to the point of almost meaninglessness, or even to the point of provocation to the wider (generally peace-loving) public, people might start to think that "I will be proud to be an Islamophobe if you define Islamophobe like this", then what do they do now when this word loses all its power in the wider society?
     Reply #549 - March 11, 2015, 08:30 AM

One day people will decide that "Islamophobe" is a badge of honour, and then what will these people do?

Until they seize state apparatus like the communists, the power of them branding people "Islamophobe" is that the wider society (generally) shuns (overt) bigots.

By expanding the term (let's not discuss how legitimate the term even is, as I agree that anti-Muslim bigotry is a much better term. Let's assume they are trying to convey the same idea) to the point of almost meaninglessness, or even to the point of provocation to the wider (generally peace-loving) public, people might start to think that "I will be proud to be an Islamophobe if you define Islamophobe like this", then what do they do now when this word loses all its power in the wider society?

Yup! I posted on Twitter the following.

@DouglasKMurray @spectator What a high honour!

https://twitter.com/gw_emily/status/575262531956142080

@Pabloite @DouglasKMurray @Spectator_CH Really? Surely, coming from them it's a compliment?

https://twitter.com/gw_emily/status/575354492406865920

And I posted to @ihrc this ...

Reply #550 - March 11, 2015, 09:28 AM

Quote from: Lilyesque says  link=topic=27984.msg811506#msg811506 date=1426062601

And I posted to @ihrc this ...

let me add  this from  http://www.muslimactionforum.com/freedom_of_speech.php

The following are examples of legal constraints to ‘freedom of expression’ in the United Kingdom  to fry Stephen Fry

•   The Human Rights Act Article 10: Freedom of Expression – under Article 10 everyone has the right of freedom of expression. However, the exercise of these freedoms is limited: “The exercise of these freedoms… may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society…”

•   Public Order Act 1986 – prohibits certain acts intended or likely to stir up racial hatred including the use of words or behaviour or displays of written material which are threatening, abusive or insulting and intended to stir up racial hatred.

•   Obscene Publications Act 1959 – makes commercial dealings in obscene items, or possession of them a criminal offence. With or without a prosecution, the items can be seized under a magistrate's warrant and, after a hearing to determine whether they contravene the statute, can be forfeited.

•   Libel & Slander Laws – seek to prevent defamatory statements of an individual in writing and speech. Jeffrey Archer successfully sued for libel in 1987 over claims in the Daily Star that he had had sex with a prostitute. He was awarded £500,000 in damages.

•   The Official Secrets Act 1989 – makes the disclosure of confidential material from government sources by employees a criminal offence. There is no public-interest defence, and disclosure of information already in the public domain is still a criminal offence.

•   The Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 – protest without permit within a 1km radius of Parliament. The first conviction under the Act was in December 2005 when Maya Evens was convicted for reading the names of British soldiers and Iraqi civilians killed in the Iraq War.

•   Data Protection Act 1884 – places restrictions on communicating personal data with third parties.

•   Protection of Children Act 1978
    – makes it a criminal offence to take, permit to be taken or make; to distribute or show; to have in one's possession with a view to distribution or showing by oneself or others; an indecent photograph or psuedo photograph of a child.

•   S.43 Telecommunications Act 1984 – makes it an offence to send by a public telecommunications system a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.

Many of those rules and acts can be used to shut many forums like CEMB if  organizations like   "muslim action forum"  become a political force to control rules and regulations for the society.  Let us take for e.g that 'Uncivilised Expressionists' from MAF

Definition – a psychological disposition of the human mind which insults and maligns others without care or consideration of consequences. Examples of such behavior against Muslims are:

•Satanic verses
    •Jyllands Posten
    •Quran burning
    •Innocence of Muslims film

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #551 - March 11, 2015, 10:03 AM

S.43 Telecommunications Act 1984 – makes it an offence to send by a public telecommunications system a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.

I'm so guilty of that ... oops  Tongue  dance  Afro
     Reply #552 - March 11, 2015, 10:28 AM

S.43 Telecommunications Act 1984 – makes it an offence to send by a public telecommunications system a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.

I'm so guilty of that ... oops  Tongue  dance  Afro

Lilyesque as long as you don't feel self guilty.,   don't worry about that ... Some one sent me that link and I tried to get to the bottom of that  MAF.,  It seems some smart Muslim guy just put up a web site by copy pasting certain ACTS/rules  that were passed by UK govt at different times ..  lol.. May be he is trying to make some money from oil Sheikh of Arabia and other donations in the name saving Islamic scriptures getting attacked by RASCALS at forums like cemb..

Reply #553 - March 11, 2015, 12:04 PM

Reply #554 - April 04, 2015, 05:52 PM

That Terrible Attack on that Editor of French magazine Charlie Hebdo is back in the news..News from LAND OF SAND says Sales of books on Islam rocket after France attacks

Paris: Books on Islam are selling out in France after deadly extremist attacks in the capital raised uncomfortable questions about Europe’s fastest-growing religion. A special magazine supplement focused on the Qur'an has flown off the shelves, and shops are selling more books on Islam than ever after the Paris attacks in January that left 17 dead.

“The French are asking more and more questions, and they feel less satisfied than ever by the answers they’re getting from the media,” said Fabrice Gerschel, director of Philosophie magazine, which published the supplement. Sales of books on Islam were three times higher in the first quarter of 2015 than this time last year, according to the French National Union of Bookshops.

Mathilde Mahieux, of La Procure chain of bookshops that specializes in religion, said people want a better understanding of the religion that the brutal Islamic State (IS) group claims to represent, so that they can make up their own minds. The jihadist attacks against the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine and a Jewish supermarket have left many non-Muslims looking for answers.

“A very Catholic lady came to buy a copy of the Qur'an, because she wanted to understand for herself whether or not (Islam) is a violent religion,” said Yvon Gilabert, who runs a bookshop in Nantes, western France. Others want to see past extremist interpretations of Islam. “I think we have to know how to see past the fundamentalism, in order to see what religions have to offer,” said Patrice Besnard, a regular at a Paris bookshop specializing in religions.

French academics too are becoming more curious, with a chair in the study of the Qur'an inaugurated on Thursday at the prestigious College de France in Paris. Jean Rony, who teaches at the nearby Sorbonne university, began studying the Muslim holy book for himself this year.
    “Given the situation, I have added sessions on monotheistic religions to my general culture class for students preparing for magistrate exams,” he said.

Mansour Mansour, who runs the Al Bouraq publishing house specializing on Islam and the Middle East, said his sales have shot up by 30 percent. “The same happened after the September 11 attacks in 2001,” he told AFP. Now the spike is likely to last longer “because Islam will continue to pose a geo-political problem,” Mansour sighed. Part of the interest in France appears to stem from the fact that many of the extremists committing horrific abuses in Islam’s name in Syria and Iraq are of Western origin.
    Enraged by the jihadists’ interpretation of the Qur'an, Mansour said his company has withdrawn several books that offered “too literal” an interpretation of Islam from his catalogue. He warned about people diving into reading the Qur'an “unaccompanied” and jumping to conclusions on its highly poetic text. Instead he recommends that the uninitiated start by reading a biography of the Prophet Muhammed (pbuh).

well there is more at that link but that is what is going on in France..

Reply #555 - April 26, 2015, 09:22 PM

No Charlie Hebdo did not publish that Mediterranean drowning cartoon

https://homoeconomicusnet.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/no-charlie-hebdo-did-not-publish-that-mediterranean-drowning-cartoon/
     Reply #556 - April 26, 2015, 09:30 PM

Thanks for posting that here zeca! Think I is good to have a repository of main information of events and contexts here. Good stuff!
     Reply #557 - April 26, 2015, 09:36 PM

No Charlie Hebdo did not publish that Mediterranean drowning cartoon

Twitter says otherwise, alas.
     Reply #558 - April 26, 2015, 10:07 PM

Some Twitter users are eejits! Not surprising the denial.
     Reply #559 - April 30, 2015, 01:58 PM

The continuing attack on Charlie Hebdo

http://www.workersliberty.org/node/25039

Charlie Hebdo, PEN and the “wrong” kind of free speech

https://33revolutionsperminute.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/charlie-hebdo-pen-and-the-wrong-kind-of-free-speech/

Nick Cohen - Charlie Hebdo: The literary indulgence of murder

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/nick-cohen/2015/04/charlie-hebdo-the-literary-indulgence-of-murder/
     Reply #560 - May 01, 2015, 11:45 PM

From Justin Erik Halldór Smith's blog

Charlie Hebdo and Literature

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2015/05/charlie-hebdo-and-literature.html

'The Joke'

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2015/03/the-joke.html

Walzer on Islamism and the Left

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2015/01/walzer-on-islam.html

Long Live Formal Freedom

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2015/01/long-live-formal-freedom.html
     Reply #561 - May 02, 2015, 09:19 PM

Interview with Charlie Hebdo writer Robert McLiam Wilson

https://homoeconomicusnet.wordpress.com/2015/05/02/interview-with-charlie-hebdos-robert-wilson/
     Reply #562 - May 05, 2015, 08:51 PM

America's literary elite takes a bold stand against dead journalists

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/05/america-s-literary-elite-takes-a-bold-stand-against-dead-journalists.html
     Reply #563 - May 06, 2015, 10:36 AM

WTF? Charlie Hebdo - neo Nazis? Horrible.
     Reply #564 - May 07, 2015, 09:23 PM

Part of me sometimes thinks that some of these jihadists might actually like it when their religion is mocked, as it gives them an excuse to murder some kuffars?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #565 - May 07, 2015, 09:35 PM

What gets me is the Hypocracy, the amount of Muslims I have heard and seen insulting other religions. Even when discussing with other students who were Christian, they giggled at the cartoons of Muhammad and mentioned how sad the whole event was. But when they saw cartoons satirising Jesus, they retracted their statement and stated "The magazine company deserved it."

I second that, my friends ( one Sikh and one muslim) once told me that the Hindu gods were 'stupid' as one of them had 4 arms.

Perhaps my next question should have been "So how many arms does YOUR god have?.....Only 2? So is that god better than yours?"

Also didn't 'prophet' Mo once smash all the idols of all the other gods in the Kabaa only keeping the Black Stone? Pagan-ophobia anyone?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #566 - December 17, 2015, 09:15 PM

Nick Cohen - Shame on the liberals who rationalise terror

http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/6361/full
     Reply #567 - December 17, 2015, 09:28 PM

Justin Erik Halldór Smith - In the Gray Zone

http://www.jehsmith.com/1/2015/12/in-the-gray-zone-.html
     Reply #568 - January 03, 2016, 12:11 PM

The anniversary of the 7 January attack on Charlie Hebdo is coming up. Whether you feel that Charlie is a symbol of freedom of expression or a scabrous hate sheet, you are about to be deluged in a giant vat of stuff. Some will be positive, some negative but an oxen-stunning proportion of it will be written by people who do not speak French....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/03/charlie-hebdo-scurrilous-reports-by-non-french-speakers
     Reply #569 - January 07, 2016, 02:18 PM

Karima Bennoune - The truth about Charlie: one year after the 7 January attacks

https://www.opendemocracy.net/5050/karima-bennoune/one-year-after-7-january-attacks-truth-about-Charlie
  • Previous page 1 ... 17 18 1920 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »