Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Quran 24:33 waātūhum

(Read 2977 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Quran 24:33 waātūhum
     OP - February 09, 2015, 12:25 PM

Okay I need some clarification here. I came across a Muslim putting forward that this verse should be translated as "if you know any good in them, and (if not) give them of the wealth of Allah which He has given you" The claim is based on waātūhum with the wa prefix conjunction means something other than every single source I looked up says. This alters the verse from "if you know in them any good, and give them" Why put forward find good in them while providing a clause, (if not), rendering the parameter of good moot? Is this some sort of creative interpretation? I looked at the word, its prefix and uses of and but none support the altered interpretation. I found that wa functions like fa in the form of and.

I am doing research the one that put forward the claims refuse to provide. I probably do this far to often for my own good.
     Reply #1 - February 09, 2015, 05:18 PM

No translation that I've ever seen translates it that way.  Qur'an corpus online (the best source for comparative English translations) shows every translation the same, with no (if not) parenthetical.

http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=24&verse=33

In other words, the (if not) looks completely (made up) and (isn't in the actual text).

You can have fun with such parentheticals, which are common in the (often incomprehensible) Qur'an while relatively rarely being used for translating other religious texts.

For example, "Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (is not) the messenger of Allah, and (is not) the seal of the prophets:  and Allah (does not) have full knowledge of all things."
     Reply #2 - February 09, 2015, 05:40 PM

For example, "Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (is not) the messenger of Allah, and (is not) the seal of the prophets:  and Allah (does not) have full knowledge of all things."

Cheesy Afro
     Reply #3 - February 10, 2015, 02:27 AM

I had searched every source I could find. I thought maybe someone that knows classical Arabic had some insight that every other documented source missed.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »