Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hey Folks!

(Read 2523 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hey Folks!
     OP - December 02, 2014, 02:15 PM

Hey folks,
    I am a practising Sikh from Canada, of Afghan descent, and I've always been very interested in joining this forum after watching your YouTube videos online. What I really like about the videos - is that they are quite neutral and balanced. They don't portray all Muslims as jihadists in sheep's clothing practising  "taquiyya" - the notion that many neo-con ultras follow. Nor do they portray Islam as a benign ideology which is immune to criticism - as many leftists do.

What interests me about Islam in particular - is that there has been much interaction between Muslims and Sikh's since the time of Guru Nanak. Sikh philosophy is quite similar to sufi-ism, and Guru Nanak was actually said to have visited mecca with his Sufi companions. Nonetheless, there were also period's of history where Sikh's were put under immense persecution under the Mughal empire.

I grew up having a hatred of Muslims. As a child I remember going to the gurdwara, and seeing pictures and hearing stories of 'shaheeds' being tortured to death for refusing to convert to Islam. Also, my parents were both forced to leave Afghanistan in the early 90's.

My views have changed considerably over the last few years. Although, i'm still not particularly fond of Islam as an ideology, I understand that there are various interpretations of the qu'ran and the hadith, and Muslim's perhaps suffer the most as a result of Islamism. Although I am still a person of faith, I have become a very liberal minded, and I often spend much of my time on Sikh forums arguing in favour of re-interpretations of old theology & against the concept of a "Khalistan".

I am currently reading Maajid Nawaz's book "Radical" , and I have just ordered Irshad Manji's book "The Trouble with Islam today". I also attend many events organised by both the atheist and islamic societies at my university - to broaden my understanding and to increase my knowledge.

I hope to interact with many like minded individuals on this forum.

Many thanks  thnkyu Smiley Smiley
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #1 - December 02, 2014, 02:18 PM

Welcome to the forum, Singh.

Its very important that you have overcome your hatred of Muslims. Hating Muslims is against principles of humanity. Critiquing Islam should never be blighted by sectarianism like that.

Given that you are of Afghan descent, there must have been a modicum of good relations between Sikhs and Muslims in Afghanistan before the Taliban came to power.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Hey Folks!
     Reply #2 - December 02, 2014, 02:33 PM

Welcome, Singh.  Afro

Extremism of any type is always wrong and a destructive force. It pulls humanity apart and takes us back to a past of tribalism and ignorance. Extremism is almost always driven by ignorance and irrational emotions rather than rational thought. If you go far enough to one extreme you will meet your enemy you think you hate from the other extreme.
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #3 - December 02, 2014, 02:50 PM

parrot Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #4 - December 02, 2014, 02:58 PM

Welcome, Singh.  Afro

Extremism of any type is always wrong and a destructive force. It pulls humanity apart and takes us back to a past of tribalism and ignorance. Extremism is almost always driven by ignorance and irrational emotions rather than rational thought. If you go far enough to one extreme you will meet your enemy you think you hate from the other extreme.

Wise words   Afro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzvQ9NDDd4&list=UU8B7EIN0EeqbZ2oQptkiQlA
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #5 - December 02, 2014, 03:33 PM

- Welcome to the forum, Singh.
    - Its very important that you have overcome your hatred of Muslims. Hating Muslims is against principles of humanity. Critiquing Islam should never be blighted by sectarianism like that.
    - Given that you are of Afghan descent, there must have been a modicum of good relations between Sikhs and Muslims in Afghanistan before the Taliban came to power.

- We don't hate Muslims because they are Muslims. We hate that Muslims are intolerant. Discrimination against non-Muslims is enshrined in the constitutions and laws of every Muslim country - you cannot get any more mainstream than that. Muslims in non-Muslim countries are equal citizens, at least constitutionally.
    - I was born in Sindh, but the constitution of Pakistan makes me a 2nd class citizen. I was given a choice - convert or die. So I left.

वासुदैव कुटुम्बकम्
    Entire World is One Family
    سارا سنسار ايک پريوار ہے
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #6 - December 02, 2014, 03:52 PM

Nice  Afro
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #7 - December 02, 2014, 03:53 PM

Welcome!
  • Hey Folks!
     Reply #8 - December 02, 2014, 04:16 PM

Welcome to the forum, Singh Smiley