Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Linguistic miracle

(Read 11796 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #30 - December 09, 2014, 07:57 AM

Precisely, I have heard tzortiz try and get around this obstacle by comparing it to knowing china exists but never seeing it  Roll Eyes

Lol, what a poor analogy. Does anyone have any other scholarly resources regarding the linguistic miracle? Does  the Qur'an does fit into any forms of Arabic language (types of prose and poetry)? Is it even impossible for a text to not exactly fall into an exact form of language? Wouldn't some texts have a mixture of language forms?
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #31 - December 10, 2014, 08:03 AM

Lol, what a poor analogy. Does anyone have any other scholarly resources regarding the linguistic miracle? Does  the Qur'an does fit into any forms of Arabic language (types of prose and poetry)? Is it even impossible for a text to not exactly fall into an exact form of language? Wouldn't some texts have a mixture of language forms?

Watch this video: The Inimitable Qur'an (A Podcast Response to Dawa…: http://youtu.be/sCZTBX_tK_8
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #32 - December 12, 2014, 12:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fOIXwbVfVs Relevant video from Klingshor's old youtube channel.
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #33 - December 12, 2014, 02:10 AM

So is the Quran is just written in the style of "saj" (which was a widespread literary style at the time), but occasionally breaks the rhyme scheme? So inconsistently writing in a popular literary form of the time is miraculous?

Is this really what all the fuss is about?

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #34 - December 12, 2014, 03:44 AM

Yes, basically. I guess every new unique literary genre or style must be miraculous. I always knew Kafka was divine Smiley

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #35 - December 12, 2014, 04:19 AM

So is the Quran is just written in the style of "saj" (which was a widespread literary style at the time), but occasionally breaks the rhyme scheme? So inconsistently writing in a popular literary form of the time is miraculous?

Is this really what all the fuss is about?

pretty much. Tzortzis says the really  amazing thing is that you cant tell which parts are saj, and which parts are using poetic meters, and thats what makes it really special. They are mixed up "like a pizza".

His proof is some quote from somebody saying you almost can't tell.
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #36 - December 12, 2014, 04:54 AM

Still not miraculous, still something that has been done before in literature. Invention and re-invention of different literary styles and genres. It still baffles me how anyone with any intellectual honesty can say with a straight face "poetry is miraculous" Roll Eyes To be honest, literature being subjective in nature so to speak, to say that human language and literature somehow is god's literal word uncreated is just so bizarre. Our creator's uncreated word, magnificant and miraculous, is way too occupied with hayd, nifaas and men's sexual exploits...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #37 - December 12, 2014, 07:37 AM

not a pizza. not a burger. a miracle

the bulk of the linguistic miracle argument discussing the details of arabic grammar, is merely a distraction from the fact that the important parts of the argument are ridiculous. All of the main premises are gibberish, including what is meant by the word 'miracle'.

If i were to spend 3 hours talking about what various farmers have said about various cheese making processes, you may forget that i'm trying to argue that a pizza burger is a miracle, and that I have redefined the word to be meaningless anyway. That is the basic strategy. Any objections you can raise can be dismissed with 'produce a pizzaburger like it'.
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #38 - December 12, 2014, 09:28 AM

Yes, basically. I guess every new unique literary genre or style must be miraculous. I always knew Kafka was divine Smiley

I used to thin Massive Attack had reinvented music.

I was ignorant of their sources (from 3.00).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aw2rM0w-pc
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #39 - December 12, 2014, 11:48 AM

Yes, that's the funny thing. There's a general understanding that the Quran being divine because of its beauty isn't the best argument. There has to be something that sets it aside from the classics, from War and Peace, from Lamiyyat al Arab, from some fanfiction you really really liked on the internet. So they take this long, winding road that leads back to the same place, deconstructing the Quran and explaining how it borrowed and reformed and got a voice all its own. But then what do you say about it? That's not a miracle, that's art.

All of their explanations and arguments meant to lead the discussion away from it being a simple matter of aesthetics will sound, at its very best, like a well-researched paper submitted for an art history/art appreciation class by a student who just barely missed the point, and will ultimately change nothing. The argument is still precisely as bad as it looked the first time.
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #40 - December 12, 2014, 01:09 PM

What I hate about this argument is it is so completely esoteric (only applies to people that can read ancient Arabic). And the sophists that try to argue for it can hardly even read it in Arabic either. It seems like the kind of argument that's pure smokes and mirrors and is basically trying to confuse you into submission

"I moreover believe that any religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system."
    -Thomas Paine
  • Linguistic miracle
     Reply #41 - December 12, 2014, 01:23 PM

Can't the inconsistency of its literary styles merely be evidence that the quran was compiled from multiple sources and multiple authors?

-Thomas Paine
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »