Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1272626 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 350 351 352353 354 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10530 - November 16, 2021, 03:41 PM

Thread: https://twitter.com/MohsenGT/status/1460349097999749121
    Scholars often view the Qur'an as a universalist document that fosters a purely faith-based identity among its earliest adherents. I have argued, however, that the Qur'an considers physical descent from Abraham as vital to the status and identity of the Prophet and his followers.

The article: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cpcmecvY6qNkQfwhTr1avvDixMLLmnCa/view
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10531 - November 16, 2021, 03:52 PM

Juan Cole - Dyed in Virtue: The Qur'ān and Plato's Republic

https://www.academia.edu/61737878/Dyed_in_Virtue_The_Qurān_and_Platos_Republic
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10532 - November 16, 2021, 04:01 PM

IQSA annual meeting program book

https://iqsaweb.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/2021-iqsa-programbook-2.pdf
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10533 - November 17, 2021, 10:55 AM

Cheesy Cheesy  great..  "Dyed"... take one word from Quran and write whole article on it with zillion holes...

what is your opinion on  dr. Juan Cole's pubs and his thoughts on early Islam dear zeca??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Cole ..

I just do not understand logic of these intellectuals that puts the ooold religious literature  as some sort of god's potion for solving 21st century problems of human beings...  and that 24 pages paper on that just one  word from Quran "Dye" is published in Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 61, pp 580–604 , 2021

well I don't know.. big Al knows the best....... on .. on...   

Writing NONSENSE PUB is better or NOT WRITING ANYTHING ETAL  is better ..
    Yes..yes.. Allah Knows the best

Anyways., I am glad to see  this dear zeca..

more importantly , glad to see  that young dr. Hythem Sidky, as  IQSA's New Executive Director

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10534 - November 17, 2021, 12:57 PM

what is your opinion on  dr. Juan Cole's pubs and his thoughts on early Islam dear zeca??

I'm a bit sceptical.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10535 - November 17, 2021, 01:07 PM

Thanks Zeca, the Goudarzi article seems interesting, I will read it later.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10536 - November 17, 2021, 05:25 PM

Youtube playlist for an online course from a couple of years ago

Gabriel Said Reynolds - Exploring the Quran and the Bible
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10537 - November 18, 2021, 07:41 AM

Oral or written sources:
    That's correct.

I think we should stop assuming that precise knowledge of certain texts was general knowledge in a certain society. Just as very few things are general knowledge today, that probably was not the case in LA either.

On top of that, the possibility was not there to do a quick lookup on internet or library.

We can assume that the Quranic author only had a limited set of texts for reference available. In his writing, he would have also been able to supplement those with specific knowledge through his education. But probably the author worked with the material he had , did not worry too much if there was an error here or there.

What were the specific beliefs of the villagers surrounding him (or the lack of belief) will only have influenced him very little imo. He(s) must have had his limited circle of litterati, got his inspiration there, had his texts 'published', and apparently the book became a blockbuster. When luck meets opportunity...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10538 - November 18, 2021, 08:48 AM

Oral or written sources:
    I think we should stop assuming that precise knowledge of certain texts was general knowledge in a certain society. Just as very few things are general knowledge today, that probably was not the case in LA either.

On top of that, the possibility was not there to do a quick lookup on internet or library.

We can assume that the Quranic author only had a limited set of texts for reference available.

They may also have been working from memory of texts read or heard in the past and so paraphrasing stories when writing rather than quoting directly. This doesn't necessarily imply the existence of wider oral traditions - just that access to texts that existed may not have been straightforward.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10539 - November 19, 2021, 03:21 PM

Cheesy Cheesy  great..  "Dyed"... take one word from Quran and write whole article on it with zillion holes...

I just do not understand logic of these intellectuals that puts the ooold religious literature  as some sort of god's potion for solving 21st century problems of human beings...  and that 24 pages paper on that just one  word from Quran "Dye" is published in Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 61, pp 580–604 , 2021

I'm a bit skeptical.

Bit skeptical??  I consider it as PLAIN STUPID., and I only say that to so-called academic scholars .,  some of these guys do not even read Quran properly., forget writing comments on it.,  for example in that 25 page or so   article .pdf ., he picks up this verse 2:138
    THE QUR’ĀN’S CHAPTER “The Cow” contains a verse (2:138) having to do with believers being dyed with the dye of God, which has occasioned speculation both among Muslim exegetes and academic scholars......     I translate it  this way:
    “The dye of God! Who is better than God as a dye? – and we are His worshippers.”

The first instance of the word ṣibgha or “dye” is a noun, with God in the genitive. It is the dye of God that is being praised. But in the second phrase, God himself seems to be spoken of as the dye

let me put that verse here ..https://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=2&verse=138

Chapter (2) sūrat l-baqarah (The Cow)

dr. Juan Cole':  “The dye of God! Who is better than God as a dye? – and we are His worshippers.”

Sahih International: [And say, "Ours is] the religion of Allah. And who is better than Allah in [ordaining] religion? And we are worshippers of Him."

Pickthall: (We take our) colour from Allah, and who is better than Allah at colouring. We are His worshippers.

Yusuf Ali: (Our religion is) the Baptism of Allah: And who can baptize better than Allah? And it is He Whom we worship.

Shakir: (Receive) the baptism of Allah, and who is better than Allah in baptising? and Him do we serve.

Muhammad Sarwar: Say, "Belief in God and following the guidance of Islam are God's means of purification for us. Islam is the baptism of God. No one is a better baptizer than He and we Muslims worship Him."

Mohsin Khan: [Our Sibghah (religion) is] the Sibghah (Religion) of Allah (Islam) and which Sibghah (religion) can be better than Allah's? And we are His worshippers. [Tafsir Ibn Kathir.]

Arberry: the baptism of God; and who is there that baptizes fairer than God? Him we are serving.

what kind of translation is that?? .. take an Arabic word out of context from a text and make it as Dye/Color and fill it with  some 25 pages.. for what??  I WOULD CHNAGE YOUR WORD " skeptical. to RUBBISH....& STUPID ..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10540 - November 20, 2021, 12:55 AM

Adrian Pirtea - Syriac and Arabic Readers of Apocrypha: The Six Books on the Dormition
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0CB4eeRsZs
    e2a: This is just an example of the kinds of texts and manuscripts that were in circulation around the time that the Quran was being produced.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10541 - November 20, 2021, 10:29 AM

Oral or written sources:

one of the serious problem with the book Quran is every one believing  it as the first book in Arabic language and there as NOTHING WRITTEN in Arabic before this book in any form on any material .. So  investigations on those Sana  manuscripts has become the only way to understand the origins of the book .,  Even on those manuscripts  many questions can be raised and very few have access to them

We can assume that the Quranic author only had a limited set of texts for reference available. In his writing, he would have also been able to supplement those with specific knowledge through his education. But probably the author worked with the material he had , did not worry too much if there was an error here or there.

What were the specific beliefs of the villagers surrounding him (or the lack of belief) will only have influenced him very little imo. He(s) must have had his limited circle of litterati, got his inspiration there, had his texts 'published', and apparently the book became a blockbuster. When luck meets opportunity...

Now I don't  even know the meaning of the word Literati., .,  Is it because book is written in riddles and parables and sometimes plain gibberish .,   the author of the book became super intelligent literati??   these 20th and 21st century university faculties who analyze Quran has serious problems with common sense and rational thinking and have selective amnesia., All this gets multiplied by a 100 fold because violent threats from  brain washed  rogues of Islam   

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10542 - November 20, 2021, 02:49 PM

Nicolai Sinai - Introducing the Qur'an (podcast series)

https://www.academia.edu/36465977/Introducing_the_Quran_https_podcasts_ox_ac_uk_series_introducing_quran
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10543 - November 20, 2021, 03:59 PM

The Qur'an as literature ...by Nicolai Sinai

https://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/quran-literature

A principal reason for why the Qur'an managed to establish itself as a text believed to constitute divine revelation is that it is compelling literature. How do Islamic and modern Western scholars approach the Qur'an's literary dimension?

well that is on  al-’i‘jāz ...  al-’i‘jāz      inimitability of the Qur’ān   let me add resources on that "inimitability of  Qur’ān"

you can recycle and rewrite what has been written already  as much as you like but the bottom line is NOT going to change

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10544 - November 20, 2021, 06:37 PM

Mohsen Goudarzi - The Second Coming of the Book: Rethinking Qur’anic Scripturology and Prophetology (PhD dissertation)

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/40049998/GOUDARZITAGHANAKI-DISSERTATION-2018.pdf?sequence=4
    This dissertation aims to reassess the character of the Prophet Muhammad’s movement by rethinking major aspects of the qur’anic worldview. Specifically, the dissertation proposes a new interpretation of the Qur’an’s conception of scriptural and prophetic history, which may be called respectively its “scripturology” and “prophetology.” Previous scholarship often considers the Qur’an to espouse a monotonous historical vision in which God sends a series of prophets with essentially identical messages to various human communities. Furthermore, it is often claimed that the Qur’an depicts Muhammad and his scripture as the culmination of this history and thereby as representing a final dispensation destined for humankind.

In contrast to this prevailing interpretation, I contend that the Qur’an envisages history primarily in a bi-modal way, i.e. as having two towering moments: the revelation of the Torah to Moses, and the sending down of the Qur’an to Muhammad. This contention is based on a hypothesis that forms the analytical core of the dissertation: I argue that the Qur’an, in its discourse on revelations, uses the term kitāb not as a label for all scriptures but as an exclusive appellation for the Torah and the Qur’an. That the Qur’an applies the term kitāb to the Mosaic and Muhammadan scriptures alone, I further argue, reflects its estimation of the Torah and the Qur’an as the only scriptures that embody consummate divine guidance on account of their comprehensive historical and legal instruction. Moreover, I show that the Qur’an ties the revelation of these two kitābs to God’s special regard for the descendants of Abraham: the Torah was sent down for the benefit of Israelites, and the Qur’an is meant primarily for the guidance of Ishmaelites. By recognizing and underlining the Qur’an’s Abrahamic exceptionalism, the dissertation recasts the significance of the Prophet Muhammad’s mission. In the qur’anic view, the mission of Muhammad does not represent the end of a universal history of dispensations so much as it constitutes the realization of the “Abrahamic dream” for Ishmaelites and thus the second major act in the drama of the Abrahamic covenant.

The two-kitāb hypothesis and its corollaries enable fresh interpretations of many qur’anic passages, a process that has far-reaching implications for our understanding of the Qur’an. The dissertation’s final chapter outlines some of these implications. For example, I argue that the Qur’an regards not only Jews but also Christians to be Israelites, that it labels both communities as ahl al-kitāb because it considers the Torah definitive to both, and that early Islam gradually lost its genealogical focus on Abraham’s descendants during the Umayyad period.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10545 - November 20, 2021, 08:22 PM

Yeez,

what kind of translation is that?? .. take an Arabic word out of context from a text and make it as Dye/Color and fill it with  some 25 pages.. for what??  I WOULD CHNAGE YOUR WORD " skeptical. to RUBBISH....& STUPID .

I think you are very right.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10546 - November 20, 2021, 11:05 PM

Thread: https://twitter.com/MohsenGT/status/1273413335925448704
    Islamic literature on the Qur’an reports many textual variants that do not conform to the ‘Uthmanic skeletal text (rasm), often attributing such variants to Companions of the Prophet who allegedly had independent codices of their own. But did such variants really exist?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10547 - November 21, 2021, 09:33 AM

AcademicQuran reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/AcademicQuran/
    A subreddit dedicated to the discussion of the Quran, the Sunnah and early Islam from a scholarly perspective. Here, such topics as Quranic exegesis, Biblical and extra-Biblical parallels, textual criticism, history of interpretation, pre-Islamic literature, etc. are discussed in a friendly yet engaging way.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10548 - November 21, 2021, 09:47 AM

Daniel Beck - The Astral Messenger, The Lunar Revelation, The Solar Salvation: Dualist Cosmic Soteriology in The Early Qur'ān

https://www.academia.edu/37364823/The_Astral_Messenger_The_Lunar_Revelation_The_Solar_Salvation_Dualist_Cosmic_Soteriology_in_The_Early_Qurān
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10549 - November 21, 2021, 11:19 AM

Daniel Beck - The Astral Messenger, The Lunar Revelation, The Solar Salvation: Dualist Cosmic Soteriology in The Early Qur'ān

https://www.academia.edu/37364823/The_Astral_Messenger_The_Lunar_Revelation_The_Solar_Salvation_Dualist_Cosmic_Soteriology_in_The_Early_Qurān

look at that publication.   it is full of Quran verses taken from here and there from that book

https://twitter.com/danielabeck9

all those guys THE PROFESSORS  that you see in the above twitter must go back and read Quran again., Most of these guys stuck with the word "Muhammad" of Islam and they seem not to realize  Muhammad of Quran is different from Muhammad of Islam and Muhammad  was/ is just an adjective added to every kid's name since the beginning of hadith stories in Islam .,

So they write the papers like the way Daniel Beck ., writes ., and this started way back in 19 century by that German guys  such as  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and  Gustav Weil    ..  and the same story  continues to today  from guys like Daniela beck.  I think Altara has best alternative hypothesis on Origins of Quran and the origins of the character Muhammad in Islam ..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10550 - November 21, 2021, 12:43 PM

‘It was made to appear to them so’: the crucifixion, Jews and Sasanian war propaganda in the Qur’ān and that is from Juan Cole... 2021..

and he writes that pub on this verse and that important issue of  on Death of Christ

Surah An-Nisaa,  Verse #157 :    And their saying: Surely we have killed the messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

well that is clearly huge issue in the three Abrahamic faiths...  worth reading

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10551 - November 23, 2021, 07:29 PM

Gabriel S. Reynolds

"Robert Kerr's article on the Zuhayr inscription (in German), arguing that "in the year 24" is a later addition:"

https://twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1461335627916619789?s=20

"I tend to think that the field of Islamic Studies is distinct - critical discourse tends to be welcomed even celebrated (among academics) in other fields of Religious Studies. Less so in Islamic Studies."
    https://twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1421468285686763523?s=20

Gabriel Said Reynolds and Emran El-Badawi founded IQSA in 2012. Now is Hythem Sidky the new leader (what does he stand for??) Some years ago, both Reynolds and El-Badawi, supported that it could be something in Dan Gibson's view, that Petra was the original Mecca. I don't know what they would say today, but El-Badawi wrote a while ago (as I remember) that the time for "extreme views" has ended. Was that a refutation of  "revisionism" for his part? When Reynolds posts critical views on Twitter, he gets almost no support from other scholars, like here, where he posted Kerr's article. After Dye quit Twitter, there is almost no more "revisionist" scholars left on the internet. I have a great respect for the researchers sharing their views on internet, but when you hear them talking, it is almost like listening to an imam preaching, and I just wait for an "Allahu akbar". Their goal seems to be as close to the muslim traditions as possible. Where are the new "Patrica Crones", that dare to challenge the traditions?
    As I wrote earlier, I am worried that Reynolds is becoming more and more isolated among the researchers and that IQSA is becoming less critical (I don't know what they were talking about in their recent meeting).
    What is your impression of the development in the field of Quranic studies and the traditions?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10552 - November 24, 2021, 12:39 PM

Gabriel S. Reynolds

"Robert Kerr's article on the Zuhayr inscription (in German), arguing that "in the year 24" is a later addition:"

"I tend to think that the field of Islamic Studies is distinct - critical discourse tends to be welcomed even celebrated (among academics) in other fields of Religious Studies. Less so in Islamic Studies."

Gabriel Said Reynolds and Emran El-Badawi founded IQSA in 2012. Now is Hythem Sidky the new leader (what does he stand for??) Some years ago, both Reynolds and El-Badawi, supported that it could be something in Dan Gibson's view, that Petra was the original Mecca. I don't know what they would say today, but El-Badawi wrote a while ago (as I remember) that the time for "extreme views" has ended. Was that a refutation of  "revisionism" for his part? When Reynolds posts critical views on Twitter, he gets almost no support from other scholars, like here, where he posted Kerr's article. After Dye quit Twitter, there is almost no more "revisionist" scholars left on the internet. I have a great respect for the researchers sharing their views on internet, but when you hear them talking, it is almost like listening to an imam preaching, and I just wait for an "Allahu akbar". Their goal seems to be as close to the muslim traditions as possible. Where are the new "Patrica Crones", that dare to challenge the traditions?
    As I wrote earlier, I am worried that Reynolds is becoming more and more isolated among the researchers and that IQSA is becoming less critical (I don't know what they were talking about in their recent meeting).
    What is your impression of the development in the field of Quranic studies and the traditions?

it appears you have not read this that you see below  at that link dear Asbjoern1958
    ***********************************************************************************************

*************************************************************************************************

and as far as the "SAID" Gabriel  lol...   not being active is concerned it means many things..

1) Could be terrible busy

2). Idiots in Academic positions did stifle his thoughts as well as GRANTS .. MONEY TALKS...., AMRIKEE OIL MONEY THROUGH ARABIAN SAND BRAINS THAT RULE/D THAT WONDERFUL  COUNTRY ............TALKS........

3). simplest  thing to stop fellows like Gabriel is. some idiot threatening/blackmailing  him through some e-mail...  you may not know this.,  but they actually have done it to that wonderful lady  Patricia Crones" ((and many others)))   that you mentioned in your post ..

All such things have effect on  what people do/say  or write in this field...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10553 - November 24, 2021, 02:08 PM

that link is worth reading.......

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10554 - November 24, 2021, 06:42 PM

Gabriel S. Reynolds

There's a comment in passing from Reynolds in this video (starting at 43:50) saying that in quranic studies questions about the historicity of characters are just not asked.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiEb4BFlXJU
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10555 - November 25, 2021, 01:14 PM

There's a comment in passing from Reynolds in this video (starting at 43:50) saying that in quranic studies questions about the historicity of characters are just not asked.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiEb4BFlXJU

well he also understands and the reason/s why one can not enquire in to the historicity of characters and Quran writers ..  "IT IS TOO SENSITIVE" it leads to loosing grant  money in west ,, loosing jobs in universities  and in some countries/places bleeding through head or even LOOSING HEADS...  Well one can do every thing to every faith book/s .. you can analyze historicity., origins of the characters, contents of the book of  all faiths., but when it comes to Quran   and even hadith(in some lands).. it is no go area ..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10556 - November 25, 2021, 07:05 PM

Thanks Yeeez and Zeca for your response. On his list of books that Ian D. Morris recommends for non- academics, you can even find Tom Holland and Stephen Shoemaker. But I don't know how much he engage himself in the public debate about Islamic origins, and if he would be a support for Reynolds:

"The only up-to-date popular-history book I can recommend is
    @holland_tom’s."

https://twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/679975672417267712?s=20

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10557 - November 26, 2021, 02:25 AM

"The only up-to-date popular-history book I can recommend is
    @holland_tom’s."

https://twitter.com/iandavidmorris/status/679975672417267712?s=20

Oh my goodness now kid need not read books and just hear the history on podcasts..  well thank you  for that link dear Asbjoern1958 and let me the direct link to that Tom Holland@holland_tom’s  history

https://play.acast.com/s/the-rest-is-history-podcast
    THE REST IS HISTORY by Goalhanger Films

Historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook are interrogating the past, attempting to de-tangle the present for their new podcast "The Rest Is History"

They question the nature of Greatness, why the West no longer has civil wars and whether Richard Nixon was more like Caligula or Claudius. 

They're distilling the entirety of human history, or, as much as they can fit into about thirty minutes..

my goodness there are total 125 episodes   each one roughly 50mts ., well anything interesting for me to watch??

120. The Oil Weapon

60. Muhammad

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10558 - November 28, 2021, 06:31 PM

there we go.. Now we are talking..... the news says 

PM Imran's conversation with American Islamic scholar Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

Taking a break from running the country, Prime Minister Imran Khan recently sat down with American scholar Shaykh Hamza Yusuf to talk about a myriad of topics including his spiritual journey and the importance of faith.

Yusuf is the president of Zaytuna College in California. According to the college's website, he has authored several encyclopedia entries, academic papers, and articles on Muslim bioethics, legal theory and other topics.

The premier, who has always been vocal about his faith and journey towards the path of spirituality from a cricketing mega star, also spoke about his motivations for becoming a politician.

Here are the highlights from the interview which aired on state broadcaster Pakistan Television Corporation on Sunday.

I bet a  rupee and a high sugar coated  American donut ... THAT . NEITEHR OF THESE  TWO GUYS READ QURAN IN ITS FULL........ All 114 chapters .. 6300 verses ., off course they read Quran verses here and there ..   and yes..yes. Ameriki needs Pakistani Islam  and Pakistan needs Ameriki Islam 

anyway let me watch the tube., that is from today.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXyIt0h-txU

The video is about studying Quran hence i put that in this folder

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #10559 - November 30, 2021, 12:43 AM

Ala Vahidnia - Whence Come Qurʾān Manuscripts? Determining the Regional Provenance of Early Qurʾānic Codices

https://www.academia.edu/56250654
  • Previous page 1 ... 350 351 352353 354 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »