Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Paris murder
Today at 12:15 PM

the lost road
Today at 12:30 AM

Muslim grooming gangs sti...
Yesterday at 06:56 PM

8 killed, more than 110 i...
Yesterday at 04:21 PM

What music are you listen...
by zeca
Yesterday at 12:32 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 09:44 AM

NayaPakistan...New Pakist...
October 25, 2020, 02:56 PM

Donald Trump wants to ban...
October 25, 2020, 11:07 AM

JW Apostasy film on BBC
October 24, 2020, 09:16 PM

مدهش----- لماذا؟؟؟؟
by akay
October 24, 2020, 01:59 PM

Hitchens....Dawkins....Ha...
October 22, 2020, 12:57 PM

The essence of the facts
by akay
October 20, 2020, 04:56 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 636953 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 327 328 329« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9840 - September 29, 2020, 06:06 PM

In turn, in Chapter 2, ‘Early Islam as a Messianic Movement: A Non-Issue?’,
    José Costa reminds us that, while the Qur’ān refers to Jesus as al-masīḥ, the
    ‘Messiah’, it never explains the meaning of the term. Besides – he goes on to
    say – if one leaves aside the ambiguous passages dealing with al-masīḥ, then
    the Messiah and messianism do not appear in the Qur’ān

José Costa is a great scholar. Hope he will post this article in academia. And he is right: no messianism in the Quran. Gallez is obliged to suggest scribal interventions, etc.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9841 - September 29, 2020, 09:09 PM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/azforeman/status/1310954437507198978
    I don’t know who needs to hear this but yes the bulk of Jāhilī poetry really is Pre-Islamic. It really does go back one way or another to those generations just before Islam.

Interpolated, recombined and possibly selectively remembered? Sure.

Some material has probably fallen out, and some other stuff has clearly gotten sutured in. But there is zero reason to think there was any kind of large scale forgery.

The poems preserve material that later town-dwellers simply could never have forged. There are references to the realia of desert life (names of plants, for example) which the commentators scarcely understood but which survive in Arabian Bedouin usage today.

The Qaṣīda (and in fact the metrical system known in Islamic times as عروض) does not appear to be a form indigenous to Arabic. It appears to have been "imported" from South Arabia.

The few inscriptional poetic texts from North Arabia that we have actually look more like the Qur'an in form than anything else.

The En Avdat inscription, for example, includes lines of Aramaic followed by a brief poetic text in Arabic. And the structural of the Arabic passage is quite Qur'an-like. More Qur'anic than anything.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9842 - September 30, 2020, 03:03 PM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/azforeman/status/1310954437507198978

"I don’t know who needs to hear this but yes the bulk of Jāhilī poetry really is Pre-Islamic. It really does go back one way or another to those generations just before Islam."... A.Z. Foreman

I wonder about that  "Pre-Islamic Jāhillya  poetry " .. when and what date and by whom that "Pre-Islamic Jāhillya  poetry " was published?? was it before Quran manuscripts or after those Sana Manuscripts??  because  sonnets, songs, poems and poetry is an important part of Quarn.,  Infact other name for Quran is indeed "Recitation of Poetry" in the name of Allah  by Allah for Allah..

well let me add Quran verses here on that Poem/poetry..
    Surah Al-Anbiyaa....

4.   He said: My Lord knows what is spoken in the heaven and the earth, and He is the Hearing, the Knowing.

5.   Nay! say they: Medleys of dreams; nay! he has forged it; nay! he is a poet; so let him bring to us a sign as the former (prophets) were sent (with).

6.   There did not believe before them any town which We destroyed, will they then believe?

7.   And We did not send before you any but men to whom We sent revelation, so ask the followers
    of the reminder if you do not

Surah...Ash-Shu'araa

220.   Surely He is the Hearing, the Knowing.

221.   Shall I inform you (of him) upon whom the Shaitans descend?

222.   They descend upon every lying, sinful one,

223.   They incline their ears, and most of them are liars.

224.   And as to the poets, those who go astray follow them
    225.   Do you not see that they wander about bewildered in every valley?

226.   And that they say that which they do not do,

227.   Except those who believe and do good and remember Allah much, and defend themselves after they are oppressed; and they who act unjustly shall know to what final place of turning they shall turn back.

Surah.....Yaseen

65. On that day We will set a seal upon their mouths, and their hands shall speak to Us, and their feet shall bear witness of what they earned.

66.   And if We please We would certainly put out their eyes, then they would run about groping for the way, but how should they see?

67.   And if We please We would surely transform them in their place, then they would not be able to go on, nor will they return.

68.   And whomsoever We cause to live long, We reduce (him) to an abject state in constitution; do they not then understand?

69.   And We have not taught him poetry, nor is it meet for him; it is nothing but a reminder and a plain Quran,

70.   That it may warn him who would have life, and (that) the word may prove true against the unbelievers.

71.   Do they not see that We have created cattle for them, out of what Our hands have wrought, so they are their masters?

72.   And We have subjected them to them, so some of them they have to ride upon, and some of them they eat.

73.   And therein they have advantages and drinks; will they not then be grateful?

74.   And they have taken gods besides Allah that they may be helped.

. Surah....As-Saaffaat

34.   Surely thus do We deal with the guilty.

35.   Surely they used to behave proudly when it was said to them: There is no god but Allah;

36.   And to say: What! shall we indeed give up our gods for the sake of a mad poet?

37.   Nay: he has come with the truth and verified the apostles.

38.   Most surely you will taste the painful punishment.

39.   And you shall not be rewarded except (for) what you did

Surah  ...At-Tur,

28.   Surely we called upon Him before: Surely He is the Benign, the Merciful.

29.   Therefore continue to remind, for by the grace of your Lord, you are not a soothsayer, or a madman.

30.   Or do they say: A poet, we wait for him the evil accidents of time.

31.   Say: Wait, for surely I too with you am of those who wait.

32.   Nay! do their understandings bid them this? Or are they an inordinate people?

33.   Or do they say: He has forged it. Nay! they do not believe.

34.   Then let them bring an announcement like it if they are truthful

Surah  Al-Haaqqa...

38.   But nay! I swear by that which you see,

39.   And that which you do not see.

40.   Most surely, it is the Word brought by an honored Apostle,

41.   And it is not the word of a poet; little is it that you believe;

42.   Nor the word of a soothsayer; little is it that you mind.

43.   It is a revelation from the Lord of the worlds.

44.   And if he had fabricated against Us some of the sayings,

45.   We would certainly have seized him by the right hand,

46.   Then We would certainly have cut off his aorta.

47.   And not one of you could have withheld Us from him

Yap.. Glad to read Quran.,  Well it is interesting to note all those verses  that have   Poets/poetry  word in Quan comes from early revelations.... so-called Meccan surahs.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9843 - October 12, 2020, 09:20 AM

https://mobile.twitter.com/Safaitic/status/1048068350184775682?s=20

Ahmad Al-Jallad@Safaitic
    ·
    12h< Part 6 – Love transforms, ʾIsāf and Nāʾilah: The archaeology of the Book of Idols>: Ibn Al-Kalbī relates to us a tale of two lovers set in ancient times. ʾIsāf, a man of the Gurhum tribe, was in love with Nāʾilah in the land of Yemen. The two met on pilgrimage to Mecca.

well I read that with this image

that is interesting The two met on pilgrimage to Mecca .. I wonder what year  did those two met  on pilgrimage to Mecca??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Previous page 1 ... 327 328 329« Previous thread | Next thread »