Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1272185 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 303 304 305306 307 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9120 - May 04, 2020, 06:59 PM

Yeez's Nikhat Sattarfinds these same texts  of conquest and slaughter a call for brotherly/sisterly love.

Maybe many truths exist? I always thought there was only one............

mundi.. dear mundi  when you say something like that you must give references from her articles/books..

Nikhat  Twitter page

Nikhat Sattar Articles on Islamic  Faith

The second link gives close to 100 articles written by her on Islam...,  Anyway I am NOT INTERESTED WHAT PEOPLE WROTE/WRITE ON FAITHS AND FAITH BOOKS.,  But what I am interested is what is there in faith books  and Did these folks ((who write articles and book on these books )) read those faith books carefully??

And you cloud help me a bit here.,  Just curious.,   do you know how many verses in Quran really mention the word "Jihad" ??  And  i wonder  are those verses  present in those early manuscripts ??

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9121 - May 04, 2020, 08:45 PM

Yeez,

I just summarized your description of Nikhat's work in my usual style. Not saying that I leave a lot of room for nuance...

Jihad: You can give me the verses you want me to look up in Corpus Coranicum, but just as the other verses that are troubling to you and you would like not to appear in the oldest manuscripts but do, I predict that these will also be attested in these (Pre) 650 carbon dated manuscripts.

I have the impression that the Quran was indeed complete from the beginning. That means the verses you like and also the ones you don't like.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9122 - May 04, 2020, 09:00 PM

Yeez,

I just summarized your description of Nikhat's work in my usual style. Not saying that I leave a lot of room for nuance...

No... no.. your style is good dear mundi., it makes folks to think and you already gave your opinion here

Maybe many truths exist? I always thought there was only one.

Yes truth .. there is only one truth., No question about that., and  the statement I cut it off is concerned., it  could be written as

............. Maybe there are many ways to explain the religious texts? and indeed they exist in the religious literature ................ 

Jihad: You can give me the verses you want me to look up in Corpus Coranicum,

Oh already put those verses in that post that has Arabic Quran ..  here https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27568.msg887724#msg887724  here are the four verses

At-Tawba   verse 24
    Al-Hajj verse 78 
     Al-Furqaan verse 52
    Al-Mumtahana,  Verse 1

So there are only four verses that contain Arabic word word "Jihad" .. It is same as the word "Muhammad" .. only four verses,,  lol....

but just as the other verses that are troubling to you and you would like not to appear in the oldest manuscripts but do, I predict that these will also be attested in these (Pre) 650 carbon dated manuscripts.

No..no..nooo. .. you got the wrong impression about me dear mundi   NO VERSE ..NO RELIGIOUS BOOK.... NO FAITH ... TROUBLES ME dear mundi ., I  consider them as books .. faith books  of their times.. Quran is a book.. nothing more than a book Cheesy

I have the impression that the Quran was indeed complete from the beginning. That means the verses you like and also the ones you don't like.

may be you are right  on those highlighted words., BUT I HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEM in saying "Quran was indeed complete from the beginning."  ..

nope .no..noooooooooooo.,   I  agree to  disagree with you.. unless you give me the time/ time line of the beginning of the book  date and end of the book date .. and and who wroite it?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9123 - May 04, 2020, 10:48 PM

Minding Scripture podcast episode 9: Qur’an Criticism with Gabriel Said Reynolds and Mun’im Sirry

https://mindingscripture.com/episode-9-quran-criticism/
    What importance do developments in critical scholarship on the Qur’an have for the life of faith? How have Muslims traditionally understood the Qur’an? What were the nineteenth- and twentieth-century beginnings of Western critical scholarship on the Qur’an, and what are its motivating questions today? Where do Western critical scholarship and traditional reading of the Qur’an converge? Do the findings of Western critical scholarship fundamentally challenge traditional Muslim understandings of the Qur’an, and how, more generally, does critical study of the Qur’an affect Muslims’ lives of faith?

Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the divine word of God, sent down in its linguistic form, word for word in Arabic, to the prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel. The Qur’an is inscribed on tablets preserved in heaven. That’s why non-Arabic translations of the Qur’an often say, “an interpretation of the Holy Qur’an” or “a rendering of the words of the Holy Qur’an,” but not “a translation;” for Muslims, once the Qur’an moves out of Arabic, it’s no longer the Qur’an. Muslim scholars have understood Muhammad’s role in the transmission of the Qur’an sometimes more passively, and sometimes more actively. On some understandings, the Qur’an is something like Christianity’s view of Jesus–a (linguistic) embodiment of the divine word.

Although Western scholars have studied the Qur’an since the twelfth century (in Latin translations), critical scholarship has a modern stamp. One point of convergence between critical scholarship and traditional Muslim understandings is the view that the Qur’an can be divided into a Meccan and Medinan period–though critical scholars and traditional views often differ on which passages belong to which period. Modern critical scholarship has often asked what the sources of the Qur’an might be, from the Hebrew Bible, New Testament, and apocryphal Christian texts, to Arabian sources and other informants. A continuing difference is critical scholarship’s treating Muhammad as an author of the Qur’an, with his own sources and psychology, whereas the traditional view sees God as the word-for-word author. These approaches have met with dismissive, as well as appreciative, reactions from Muslim scholars, who have increasingly (especially from the second half of the twentieth century) begun to respond to and participate in the critical endeavor.

Our hosts suggest that, although there are some tensions between critical study of the Qur’an and traditional Muslim views of the Qur’an, critical study is fully compatible with the Qur’an’s own strong encouragement of critical thought. Just as Biblical faith is made sounder, stronger, and more thoughtful by critical Biblical scholarship, so too with critical study of the Qur’an.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9124 - May 04, 2020, 11:01 PM

Ahmad Al-Jallad - The Rise of Arabic: From an epic past to an evidence-based history
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHRbuu8c8nw
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9125 - May 05, 2020, 08:37 AM

Muslims believe that the Qur’an is the divine word of God, sent down in its linguistic form, word for word in Arabic, to the prophet Muhammad through the angel Gabriel. The Qur’an is inscribed on tablets preserved in heaven.

How is the ancient comment, repeated by Wycliffe for example answered?

n describing the truth of Holy Scripture, John Wycliffe argues that God’s text is contained only in a sort of shorthand form in books, language and other human artefacts “ which are memorial clues and traces of pre-existing truth” because of this the actual words are five times removed from Truth itself, and must therefore be continually interpreted and adapted to what he calls the liber vitae, the living book or book of life.” From Mary Carruthers the Book of Memory

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9126 - May 05, 2020, 08:41 AM

I need to reiterate this point. The act of preserving something on tablets in heaven has changed it. The voice of God has been frozen. Even calling Arabic the language of God does not help, as the act of God speaking changes things.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9127 - May 05, 2020, 08:47 AM

How many steps do we have here? God thinking, God composing , God uttering, Gabriel hearing, Gabriel thinking about what he has heard , Gabriel repeating it to Mohammed, Mohammed listening, writing it or dictating it, the scribes listening and writing down what they think they heard ....

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9128 - May 05, 2020, 08:58 AM

For example, do not micro languages completely contradict the concept of a language of God?

https://www.academia.edu/35999418/Microlanguages_Vagueness_and_Paradox

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9129 - May 05, 2020, 09:54 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/27/robert-macfarlane-word-hoard-rewilding-landscape

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9130 - May 05, 2020, 10:04 AM

“to rewild our language“

Is that the problem? Islam wants language to submit?

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9131 - May 06, 2020, 07:09 PM

Ahmad Al-Jallad - The Rise of Arabic: From an epic past to an evidence-based history
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dHRbuu8c8nw

that Ahmad Al-Jallad lecture is important., I must read his work again on this subject., In fact indirectly he is telling  some form of  written scripts of Arabic Language/s ?? was/ were present Pre-Islamic Northern Arabia  such as present Jordan/Syria....  THERE MUST HAVE ARABIC MANUSCRIPTS IF NOT BOOKS BEFORE QURAN ...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9132 - May 06, 2020, 09:20 PM

A New Latin Inscription from Petra
    Marie-Jeanne Roche
    A new Latin inscription from was found in Petra in Spring 2009. Comparisons are made with other inscriptions from Provincia Arabia. The acclamatio FELICITER INVICTA was also found in an-Namara; the role of LEGIIICYR in the Second Jewish War is discussed.

https://www.academia.edu/42952478/A_New_Latin_Inscription_from_Petra
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9133 - May 07, 2020, 01:24 PM

Adam J. Silverstein*
    Q 30: 2‒5 in Near Eastern Context

Abstract:
     This article aims to contextualize a short Qurʾānic passage – Q 30:2‒5 – with reference to Jewish and Christian materials that have not hitherto been deployed for this purpose. The article builds on the findings of recent scholarship, which reads this passage eschatologically rather than historically, and argues that there are, in fact, two texts that require contextualization: 1) The Qurʾānic verses themselves (which refer only to the fate of “the Romans”); and 2) The early exegetical traditions on these verses (which often add “the Persians” to the eschatological drama). Furthermore, it is argued that the Biblical book of Daniel, and its interpretation in late antiquity, contributed both to the verses themselves and to their exegesis.

https://www.academia.edu/42956572/Q_30_2-5_in_Near_Eastern_Context?email_work_card=title
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9134 - May 08, 2020, 07:18 AM

“to rewild our language“

Is that the problem? Islam wants language to submit?

well Islam of Quran or Islam of first preacher (Muhammad) times did not care about language but in that so-called golden period of Islam.,  Arabic language did become popular due to Advancement of basic sciences of that time ..  But but Islamic mullah morons coupled to Islamic warlords and fools who do not read Quran properly   during medieval times to all the way to this internet/computer age made Islam as Arab centered religion/ Arabic centered religion .. And and in 20th century,  thanks to American oil hunger  and due to the oil under the deserts of middle east., Islam the faith  became   sand land faith or Saud's faith or sunni faith or shia faith..

Otherwise Islam of Quran is  a simple faith with ONE LINE SCRIPTURE   only fools who do not understand the origins of Quran makes it as Arab, Arabic  centric complicated faith

Islam: The Arab Religion By Anouar Majid

ISLAM, THE ARAB IMPERIALISM by  Anwar Shaikh, 1998

Der Islam ., Journal of the History and Culture of the Middle East  Edited by: Stefan Heidemann, Gottfried Hagen, Andreas Kaplony, Rudi Matthee and Kristina L. Richardson

Der Islam ., Journal of the History and Culture of the Middle East .......Founded by Carl Heinrich Becker in 1910, the Journal Der Islam provides a forum for the study of the history and culture of the Middle East before the age of modernisation in the 19th century, from the Iberian Peninsula to Central Asia.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9135 - May 08, 2020, 09:33 AM

Adam Silverstein:
    https://www.academia.edu/42956572/Q_30_2-5_in_Near_Eastern_Context?email_work_card=title

Wow, what an interesting article!

The Romans  have vanquished …
    [3] in the nearer part of the land;
    4] they shall be defeated in a few years.
    To God belongs the Command before and after, and on that day the believers shall rejoice

So in line of Silverstein's conclusion, can we be a bit more concrete?

Is this about the believers living not far from Jerusalem (not in Mecca), hoping to build the temple or house again?

The time of those expectations could be around 628 CE, when the Romans made their deal with the Persians, while the Arabs were waiting in limbo at the frontiers of the Holy land?
    Or an earlier event?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9136 - May 09, 2020, 04:38 PM

Adam Silverstein:

Wow, what an interesting article!

So in line of Silverstein's conclusion, can we be a bit more concrete?

hi mundi... what is so interesting about that imaginative story/article of  Silverstein on those three verses??.. one can do much simpler analysis of these verses..

Surah30_Verse-2

Arberry: The Romans have been vanquished

Yusuf Ali:   The Roman Empire has been defeated-

Shakir:   The Romans are vanquished,

Pickthall:   The Romans have been defeated

Mohsin Khan:   The Romans have been defeated.

Saheeh:   The Byzantines have been defeated

Surah30_Verse-3

Arberry: in the nearer part of the land; and, after their vanquishing, they shall be the victors

Yusuf Ali:   In a land close by; but they, (even) after (this) defeat of theirs, will soon be victorious--

Shakir:   In a near land, and they, after being vanquished, shall overcome,

Pickthall:   In the nearer land, and they, after their defeat will be victorious

Mohsin Khan:   In the nearest land (Syria, Iraq, Jordan, and Palestine), and they, after their defeat, will be victorious..

Saheeh:   In the nearest land. But they, after their defeat, will overcome.

Surah30_Verse-4

Arberry:   in a few years. To God belongs the Command before and after, and on that day the believ-ers shall rejoice

Yusuf Ali:   Within a few years. With Allah is the Decision, in the past and in the Future: on that Day shall the Believers rejoice-

Shakir:   Within a few years. Allah's is the command before and after; and on that day the believers shall rejoice,

Pickthall:   Within ten years - Allah's is the command in the former case and in the latter - and in that day believers will rejoice

Mohsin Khan:    Within three to nine years. The decision of the matter, before and after (these events) is only with Allah, (before the defeat of the Romans by the Persians, and after the defeat of the Persians by the Romans). And on that Day, the believers (i.e. Muslims) will rejoice (at the victory given by Allah to the Romans against the Persians) -..

Saheeh:   Within three to nine years. To Allah belongs the command before and after. And that day the believers will rejoice

well above I put all the best translations along with that Arberry translation that Adam Silverstein used to write that paper.,

So did you completely read that entire publication?? or you read just Abstract and conclusions??

mundi:   Is this about the believers living not far from Jerusalem (not in Mecca), hoping to build the temple or house again?

Not necessary., that statement could be for Mecca or  Jerusalem., or  It could be anywhere between Persia and Rome .... Persians and Romans were fighting since the first century..... 50 CE?? 70 CE??

The time of those expectations could be around 628 CE, when the Romans made their deal with the Persians, while the Arabs were waiting in limbo at the frontiers of the Holy land?
    Or an earlier event?

How did you come to that conclusion that these verses were uttered because of the events around the year 628 CE.

THAT IS ALSO BIG ASSUMPTION & IMAGINATION........

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9137 - May 09, 2020, 06:02 PM

Jihad..  yes Jihad...  Jeehad.... Jee Had it until my neck., .......... DAMMIT JEE  I HAD IT...   well let me read these two article on that

Jihad in Islam[by Hayati Aydin  that is published in  Global Journal Al-Thaqafah2(2):7-15 · December 2012

Jihad: Holy or Unholy War?       John L. Esposito

and watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cKvPo4Dv8

John .. the Italian indeed  expert in Islam..  worth  reading and worth watching him in that video..  John says that his article  Jihad: Holy or Unholy War?   is  drawn from his book Unholy War: Terror in the Name of Islam and What Everyone to Know about Islam (Oxford University Press, 2002)

well Jihad is an important subject to  ISLAMIC IDIOTS and to intelligent folks who inquire about Islam

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9138 - May 10, 2020, 09:36 PM

Well reading Quran  all over.,  inside out.,  up and down.,  ... here and there .,  I actually forgot important ingredient of  Islam.. THE POLITICAL ISLAM ..And that is very little to do with faith in Allah/God... the so-called super power that controls everything and anything in this universe .,  May be it is there or it is not there in this UNIVERSE but  I am certain this allah/god of Islam or for that matter the god of any faith can not  be "He.... Heeeeee.. the dickhead.." Essentially every faith scripture defines this Allah/God as He.. So essentially  I reject calling this Heallah/hegoo/ hegod  as "HE"  outright..  THAT WORD "HE" SHOULD  NEVER BE ATTACHED TO ANY GOD OF ANY FAITH.. that is the first step these faith heads must learn to take ...

Anyways this political Islam  is closely connected to that word "Jihad" in Quran.. And as far as I can see there are only 4 verses that has that word "Jihad".. in Quran.,  Question is where and when this word came in to Quran or when this word is introduced   in to Islam as a political tool?? And.. and  for that  as usual  I am reading Quran pulling my hair and I am reading the published literature.  So that  John L. Esposito .. Professor  John Louis   Esposito is a terrific guy and he published in Islam related subjects for a long time ., Almost 40 years ..but until now I never  explored that word  "Jihad"  in Islam and Quran., Also  I never read Esposito works on Islam., So let me read his works..

briefly John Louis Esposito (born May 19, 1940) is University Professor, Professor of Religion & International Affairs and Islamic Studies at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. He was also the Founding Director of the Prince Alwaleed Center for Muslim–Christian Understanding at Georgetown. For nearly twenty years after completing his PhD, Esposito had taught religious studies (including Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam) at the College of the Holy Cross, a Jesuit college in Massachusetts. At Holy Cross, Esposito held the Loyola Professor of Middle East Studies position, was the chair of the Department of Religious Studies, and the director of college's Center for International Studies.[1] At Georgetown University, Esposito holds the position of University Professor and teaches as both Professor of Religion and International Affairs and Professor of Islamic Studies.[2]

He published Islam and Politics in 1984, and Islam: The Straight Path in 1988. Both books sold well, going through many editions. In addition to more than 35 books, he is editor-in-chief of a number of Oxford reference works including The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World, The Oxford History of Islam, The Oxford Dictionary of Islam, The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Islamic World (six vols.), and Oxford Islamic Studies Online.[1]

He has long list of publications on Islam and terrific CV to his name  and you can see them  in his Curriculum Vitae  .. my goodness what a contribution to understand Islam  the faith?? Or Islam The present Islam??

1). ."Perspectives on Islamic Legal Reform: The Case of Pakistan," Journal ofInternational Law and Politics , Fall, 1980.

2). "Pakistan: Quest for Islamic Identity." In John L. Esposito, (ed.) Islam and Development: Religion and Sociopolitical Change (Syracuse, New York:Syracuse University Press, 1980), ch. 8.

3). "Modern Muslim Family Law Reform"., Scrutiny, Fall 1978.

4). "Muslim Family Law Reform in Pakistan.,"  Journal of Malaysian Comparative Law, December, 1977.

5). "Islam." ., In Nicholas Piediscalzi, (ed.) Teaching About Religion in Public Schools,(Sacramento: Argus Books, 1977).

6). "Muslim Family law Reform: Towards an Islamic Methodology,"., Islamic Studies,Spring, 1976.

7). "The Changing Status of Muslim Women," ., Islam in the Modern Age, February,1976

8 ) . ."Women's Rights in Islam,"., Islamic Studies, June, 1975.*

So he is publishing papers on Islam and Pakistan since 1975...

anyways let me add here some of his publications as pdf file and also read them..

1). ISLAM THE STRAIGHT PATH by John L. Esposito   2005

2). Rethinking Islam and Secularism by John L. Esposito., 1998

3). Islam and Democracy by  20111

4).  Islam and Peacebuilding BY Ihsan Yilmaz AND John L. Esposito., 2018

5). Political Islam and the West by   John L. Esposito., 2000

6). Muslim-Christian Relations in a Multi-Faith World by  John L. Esposito

well Most of his work appears to be NOT ON ORIGINS OF ISLAM & ISLAMIC HISTORY .. but on Political Islam of 20th/21st century ..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9139 - May 10, 2020, 11:33 PM

IQSA Zoom Seminar #5 Sean Anthony, “The Surprising Christology of the Annunciation Scene in Q19..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO2QbQI2yXs&feature=youtu.be
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9140 - May 11, 2020, 11:19 AM

ISLAMIC ORIGINS FOR NEO-CONSERVATIVES
    Aziz Al-Azmeh
    https://www.academia.edu/42997605/ISLAMIC_ORIGINS_FOR_NEO-CONSERVATIVES
    + https://marginalia.lareviewofbooks.org/pagan-arabs-arabian-prophecy-monotheism/
    The horrors of 9/11 and similar attacks have generated an enormous appetite for knowledge about Islam. Many have sought to understand present preoccupations in light of Islamic origins, and this has created very considerable expansion in popular writing as well as academic research in this area. Much of this output has been characterised by the deployment of a number of clichés, topoi, historical schemata, and other constituents of what came to constitute current commonplaces, generated largely in academic settings, but informing political circles and public opinion more widely. Some of this interest was motivated by hostile curiosity, often conjoined with the elaboration of boundaries, often expressed as generic, or even social-
    Darwinist divisions, between purportedly Islamic and allegedly Judaeo-Christian civilisations.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9141 - May 11, 2020, 01:29 PM

well  John Louis Esposito  work is NO use in understanding Origins of Quran as well as Islam so let me scan through this book

That picture contains  the PDF file of that book you can click and download the pdf file of that book 

Hamid Dabashi (Persian: حمید دباشی‎; born 1951) is an Iranian Professor of Iranian Studies and Comparative Literature at Columbia University in New York City.   Born and raised in southern city of Ahvaz in Iran,

Dabashi—a self-professed spokesperson for postcolonialism—was educated in Iran and then in the United States, where he received a dual Ph.D. in sociology of culture and Islamic studies from the University of Pennsylvania in 1984, followed by a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard University. He wrote his dissertation on Max Weber's theory of charismatic authority with Freudian cultural critic Philip Rieff.  He is the author of over twenty books.[  Among them are his Theology of Discontent; several books on Iranian cinema; Staging a Revolution; an edited volume, Dreams of a Nation: On Palestinian Cinema; and his one-volume analysis of Iranian history Iran: A People Interrupted.,   

well let me read through it ..  dr. Aziz Al-Azmeh publications

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55tL8OpVcBs

The World of Persian Literary Humanism: Spreading Culture through Books  ..that lecture / talk is by  Hamid Dabashi ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXZso2tvRYE

Persophilia: Persian Culture on the Global Scene   talk is by  Hamid Dabashi ...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9142 - May 13, 2020, 07:17 AM

well reading this Christian Sahner twitter link of zeca post

led me to read his publication  “The Monasticism of My Community is Jihad”: A Debate on Asceticism, Sex, and Warfare in Early Islam by Christian C. Sahner ., Arabica Vol 64:   149–183 (2017_

and to this  Yemen (Sarnelli collection)  and to other early Islamic manuscripts

Unfortunately none of them deals with history of Prophet of Islam's times ., that is  year 610: The first revelation in the cave at Mt. Hira. The Holy Prophet is commissioned as the Messenger of God.  to year 632: Death of the Holy Prophet

but they deal with  with the times of Zayd ibn ʿAli  695–740  who apparently was the son of Ali ibn Husayn, and great-grandson of Ali.. off course our Prophet's son in-law  or  the so-called Zaidiyyah or Zaidism   titled after Zayd ibn ʿAli

The Zaydi Manuscript Tradition (ZMT) Project  Digitizing the Collections of Yemeni Manuscripts
    in Italian Libraries*
    by Valentina Sagaria Rossi, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Rome.,  Sabine Schmidtke, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton
      Zaydism has flourished mainly in two regions, the mountainous Northern Highlands of Yemen and the Caspian regions of Northern Iran. The two Zaydi states that were established in the third century/ninth century CE initially constituted separate political and cultural entities. The situation changed in the early sixth/twelfth century, when a rapprochement between the two communities began that eventually resulted in their political unification.

The political development was accompanied by a transfer of knowledge from Northern Iran to Yemen that comprised nearly the entire literary and religious legacy of  Caspian Zaydism. While Yemen largely replaced Northern Iran as the intellectual center of Zaydism, the Zaydi communities in Iran experienced a gradual decline, though scattered documentary and manuscript evidence confirms that the tradition of Zaydi learning continued in Iran at least until the tenth/sixteenth century.  As a result of their continuous presence in Yemen since the third/ninth century, the rich and still largely unstudied manuscript tradition of the Zaydis
    has largely survived until today:

Zaydi Yemen is characterized by a religio-dynastic continuance that stretched over nearly a millennium until the abolition of the Zaydi imamate in 1962[/b][/ and the country witnessed various initiatives toaffirm and renew the state’s Zaydi identity during the thirteenth, seventeenth,and twentieth centuries ce. During these periods, the production of books rose
    exponentially and new libraries were founded. Vicissitudes notwithstanding, the remarkable political continuity of the Zaydis is reflected in an almost uninterrupted library tradition in the country which remains unexplored.

oh well.. read whatever comes in the way....

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9143 - May 13, 2020, 06:19 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/opinion/coronavirus-trump-evangelicals.html?referringSource=articleShare

The authors latest book, power worshippers, discusses the very strong political connections of a very powerful Xian group.  I understand similar processes happen in political Islam.

So who invented this? Who developed the crack cocaine variants?

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9144 - May 13, 2020, 08:45 PM

The yeast species Saccharomyces cerevisiae converts carbohydrates to carbon dioxide and alcohols in a process known as fermentation. The products of this reaction have been used in baking and the production of alcoholic beverages for thousands of years.[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast

Why does not the Koran make fermentation haram?

A.A. Milne,

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9145 - May 16, 2020, 12:43 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast

Why does not the Koran make fermentation haram?

Hellooo moi.....  where did you see/read that?

Nope.. no....,   Quran does not make fermentation haram.... MUSLIM MORONS and Islam preaching fools who never read Quran in its context claim such nonsense dear moi...........

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9146 - May 16, 2020, 01:08 PM

IQSA Zoom Seminar #6 Ahmad al-Jallad - Pre-Islamic Arabic inscriptions and Qur'anic orthographies
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vtzx7lQtV2M
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9147 - May 16, 2020, 01:11 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1261639413416824832
    Takeaway from the great #IQSAZoom lecture by @Safaitic on Thu: Luxenberg was widely criticized (with reason) for his proposal that the Qur'an was written in an Aramaic/Arabic Mischsprache, but is such a Mischsprache a feature of pre-Qur'anic Nabataean inscriptions, e.g. En Avdat?

I think (reading al-Jallad, Nehmé, Robin, MacDonald et al.) the key question is whether the Aramaic in these texts is a stylized feature meant for inscriptions, or whether Aramaic and Arabic were regularly "mixed" in that context.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9148 - May 16, 2020, 04:22 PM

Very interesting lecture from Jallad. I think the authors of the corpus wrote from scratch. That is, with all they knew from some Arabic language at the time they wrote. Later (after the Quran) came some standartization of the orthography that did not exist before as no literature existed.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9149 - May 16, 2020, 09:52 PM

Very interesting lecture from Jallad. I think the authors of the corpus wrote from scratch. That is, with all they knew from some Arabic language at the time they wrote. Later (after the Quran) came some standartization of the orthography that did not exist before as no literature existed.

well there I guess Altara meant   "authors of Arabic  Quranic  Corpus,".,   but questions are

1). Did they.... the authors   know/ did not know those  "Bible stories in Arabic"??..

2). Did those  Arabic bible stories/corpus writers/story tellers ((whatever you call)) had any script ?

3). What else has been added in to what authors wrote in that Arabic  corpus to make it as the present book Quran ?

THE ARABIC LANGUAGE. PDF by  Mustafa Shah

....The Arabic script was adopted in those parts of the world where Muslim rule and influence was in the ascendancy. The basic model of the Arabic script was used for the transcription of the Iranian languages of Persian, Kurdish, and Pashto; it served the Indic languages of Urdu, Sindhi, and Kashmiri; and the Berber languages of North Africa. Diacritical markings were devised to enable the phonemic range of these various languages to be accommodated.

The Malay languages of Southeast Asia had originally adopted the Arabic script, but it was replaced by the Latin script. African languages such as Swahili, Hausa, and Somali had until recently all employed Arabic scripts, a legacy of the close relationship between language and faith. The Ottoman Empire, whose rule stretched over six centuries, used the script for the intricate language of Ottoman Turkish until its use was banned in the 1920s with the abolishment of the
    caliphate. A new Latin-based script was developed. The Arabic script was even used by the Balto-Slavic languages of Polish and Ukrainian. Despite being relinquished in a number of these Muslim countries, the script of Arabic retains its devotional importance as it continues to be taught for the recitation of Islam’s sacred scripture, the Qura¯n....

• Previous page 1 ... 303 304 305306 307 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »