Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1273564 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 302 303 304305 306 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9090 - April 22, 2020, 07:50 PM

“The experience of hearing voices is something that is common to religious experiences and to those experiences that some determine as unusual or pathological. Untangling the complex origins and meanings of voice hearing is not an easy task, especially if we take into consideration issues around religion and theology. The dual temptation to under or over spiritualise voice hearing is alluring and difficult to avoid. Christopher Cook recognises this difficult tension, but also realises that it is not enough simply to partition voices with some assumed to be the responsibility of psychiatrists and others open to the discernment of religion and theology.

The phenomenon of voice hearing requires an integrated approach that takes seriously the insights that can be gleaned from disciplines such as psychiatry, psychology, biology and neurology,

well  voice hearing  in faiths is NOT a new phenomenon and  I certainly agree with those highlighted words..  That link is pdf file of that 270 pages or so book..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9091 - April 26, 2020, 09:35 PM

Introduction to forthcoming article by Ian David Morris on lesser-known ‘sleeper’ legends in early Islam

http://www.iandavidmorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Sleeper-intro.pdf
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9092 - April 27, 2020, 12:54 PM

IQSA Zoom Seminar with Gabriel Said Reynolds
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=il-zyPvkJro
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9093 - April 27, 2020, 04:11 PM

I bet a french  donut  on that talk   

"THAT WHATEVER VERSES REYNOLD TOOK  FROM QURAN TO GIVE THAT TALK
    HE WILL FIND THEM IN EVERY FAITH BOOK, IN EVERY FAITH SAYINGS
    THAT WAS THERE BEFORE THE BIRTH OF ISLAM
     BEFORE THE BIRTH OF PROPHET OF ISLAM 
    AND  BEFORE THE BIRTH OF THE BOOK QURAN "

New reviews in Review of Qurʾanic Research, vol. 6 (2020): 

Naomi Koltun-Fromm (Haverford College) on Robert C. Gregg,      Shared Stories, Rival Tellings: Early Encounters of Jews, Christians, and Muslims (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2015).

Sidney H. Griffith (The Catholic University of America) on Holger M. Zellentin (ed.),      The Qur’an’s Reformation of Judaism and Christianity: Return to the Origins (London & New York: Routledge, 2019).

Andrea Stanton (University of Denver) on Johanna Pink      Muslim Qurʼānic Interpretation Today: Media, Genealogies and Interpretive Communities (Sheffield/Bristol, UK: Equinox Publishing Ltd., 2019).

David Marshall (The World Council of Churches) on Mark Durie,      The Qur’an and Its Biblical Reflexes: Investigations in the Genesis of a Religion (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2018).

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9094 - April 27, 2020, 04:21 PM

Introduction to forthcoming article by Ian David Morris on lesser-known ‘sleeper’ legends in early Islam

http://www.iandavidmorris.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Sleeper-intro.pdf

The story of Q 2 is (I think ...) Jewish. It is probable that the Christians have borrowed some articulations of it to make the Sleepers one.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9095 - April 27, 2020, 04:22 PM

Thanks Zeca.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9096 - April 28, 2020, 03:12 PM

Thread - Al-Jallad on Tweeting Historians this week

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tweetistorian/status/1255110763540340743
    Ibn al-Kalbi's 'Book of Idols' depicts 6th c. Arabia (excluding Yemen) as dominated by paganism. But what do the Arabic inscriptions of 6th century Arabia tell us?

There is no trace of the pagan gods mentioned by ibn al-Kalbī yet. The latest datable invocations to the old gods come from the 4th c. CE. So this raises the interesting question: where are the pagans? There are of course texts that do not contain anything more than names so in theory, these individuals could be pagans. But whenever inscriptions contain any religious content or symbols, it is monotheistic and more specifically Christian. The field is advancing rapidly and many areas have yet to be explored. But the evidence so far is already transforming our view of the landscape. Perhaps future expeditions will find invocations to Allāt or Manāt in the 6th c. CE, but considering what we know now, the old gods seem to have been on the retreat across Arabia well before the rise of Islam. ~AA.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9097 - April 28, 2020, 04:24 PM

Thread - Al-Jallad on Tweeting Historians this week

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tweetistorian/status/1255110763540340743

Ibn al-Kalbi's 'Book of Idols' depicts 6th c. Arabia (excluding Yemen) as dominated by paganism. But what do the Arabic inscriptions of 6th century Arabia tell us?

There is no trace of the pagan gods mentioned by ibn al-Kalbī yet. The latest datable invocations to the old gods come from the 4th c. CE. So this raises the interesting question: where are the pagans? There are of course texts that do not contain anything more than names so in theory, these individuals could be pagans. But whenever inscriptions contain any religious content or symbols, it is monotheistic and more specifically Christian. The field is advancing rapidly and many areas have yet to be explored. But the evidence so far is already transforming our view of the landscape. Perhaps future expeditions will find invocations to Allāt or Manāt in the 6th c. CE, but considering what we know now, the old gods seem to have been on the retreat across Arabia well before the rise of Islam. ~AA.

Hi zeca ., who tweeted those two tweets that are in "Quotes"? .. I don't find them at the twitter link of your post..

well any way .. apart  from reading tweets., why not read a bit of that book?

The Kitab Al-Asnam / 'THE BOOK OF IDOLS" ..

with best
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9098 - April 28, 2020, 04:24 PM

So this raises the interesting question: where are the pagans?

There are none as the only habited lands of the Peninsula (South and the East coast) attest of monotheists beliefs from the 4th c. onward and without doubt before.
    The Quranic text has none historical reality: It is not a device reflecting one, although it is what the text do it in a very specific way. Why it does that? For some reasons easily understandable when one put aside the narrative.

Perhaps future expeditions will find invocations to Allāt or Manāt in the 6th c. CE,

He will hope until his last breath.

but considering what we know now, the old gods seem to have been on the retreat across Arabia well before the rise of Islam.

Of course.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9099 - April 28, 2020, 05:23 PM

Hi zeca ., who tweeted those two tweets that are in "Quotes"? .. I don't find them at the twitter link of your post..

Yeez - they’re part of Al-Jallad’s thread. At some point twitter has changed the way it shows threads, so now you need to click on ‘show this thread’ below the first post.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9100 - April 28, 2020, 05:36 PM

Yeez - they’re part of Al-Jallad’s thread. At some point twitter has changed the way it shows threads, so now you need to click on ‘show this thread’ below the first post.

Oh I see., These guys should go for Podcast instead of that twitter shitter..., All groups have independent Podcast debates on important subjects ..

hell with Tits... let me watch the THE STORY OF ISLAM..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or2BjnTI5cU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKdgHJRLxXs

Well Top one is in English and bottom one is in Urdu...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9101 - April 29, 2020, 08:57 PM

Thread - https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1255462605629652993
    "Islamic Conquests" or "Arab Conquests"? Robert Hoyland responds to Fred Donner and Peter Webb.

https://www.academia.edu/42868584/The_Identity_of_the_Arabian_Conquerors_of_the_Seventh-Century_Middle_East?email_work_card=title

Hoyland’s article is a response to criticisms from Donner and Webb of his book ‘In God’s Path’. I thought this footnote was interesting:
    87. In the first draft that I sent to Oxford University Press I actually did not discuss Muhammad at all, since I felt that in some respects it made sense to separate out Muhammad’s missionary work from the onset of the Arabian conquests, but it was felt to be unacceptable not to mention him at all.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9102 - April 30, 2020, 05:47 AM

Altara,

The Quranic text has none historical reality

I think you are wrong there. I think parts of the Quran contain historic reality, but of course it is not the reality of the islamic tradition. It is a description of events of witch we dont know when they happened and where. As soon as we determine these two parameters, my guess is that everything becomes clearer.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9103 - April 30, 2020, 09:22 AM

Thread - https://mobile.twitter.com/Tweetistorian/status/1255584954781773825
    According to tradition, Mecca was the commercial and religious center of 6th c. Arabia. But centuries earlier, there was another pilgrimage center in the Ḥigāz, ancient Dadān. Its inscriptions record these pre-Islamic ḥgg (Hajj's) ~AA

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9104 - April 30, 2020, 11:39 AM

Thread - https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1255462605629652993
    Hoyland’s article is a response to criticisms from Donner and Webb of his book ‘In God’s Path’. I thought this footnote was interesting:
    87. In the first draft that I sent to Oxford University Press I actually did not discuss Muhammad at all, since I felt that in some respects it made sense to separate out Muhammad’s missionary work from the onset of the Arabian conquests,

He's right, he follows the narrative: in 632 Muhammad is supposedly dead, he has no part in the conquests.

but it was felt to be unacceptable not to mention him at all.

They suspected that he could have "thought" that he did not "need" him about the conquests. Pathetic. Especially that Hoyland has never stated unorthodox views about him. It shows him as crypto "revisionist" that he never was and that he is not.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9105 - April 30, 2020, 11:43 AM

Pilgrimage is common in the all Orient.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9106 - April 30, 2020, 11:57 AM

Altara,

I think you are wrong there. I think parts of the Quran contain historic reality, but of course it is not the reality of the islamic tradition. It is a description of events of witch we dont know when they happened and where. As soon as we determine these two parameters, my guess is that everything becomes clearer.

What are you calling "historic reality"?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9107 - April 30, 2020, 01:59 PM

What are you calling "historic reality"?

Most that write involve their surroundings, known names. The Quranic author had no reason to go 100 % undercover. He wrote about things he saw around him, things he heard from and on top of that out of his own imagination. There must be geographical references, names, that are simply overlooked because tradition places the Quran in the Hijaz. We already have some names and places, probably many more to be discovered.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9108 - April 30, 2020, 04:03 PM

Most that write involve their surroundings, known names. The Quranic author had no reason to go 100 % undercover. He wrote about things he saw around him, things he heard from and on top of that out of his own imagination.
    There must be geographical references, names, that are simply overlooked because tradition places the Quran in the Hijaz. We already have some names and places, probably many more to be discovered.

dear mundi Just for time being let us forget about the location where this Heeee.... not she??  character wrote Quran the book., as I will not trust anyone who says Quran.. the present book of 114 chapters with 6300 verses or so AS SINGLE AUTHOR HE BOOK....

Now on those highlighted words of your post in pointers
    1)..  The Quranic author

2).  He wrote about things he saw around him, things he heard from and on top of that out of his own imagination.

let me ask you couple of questions ..

Q1. what year ( years) do you think this Quranic author .. whoever he/she may be .. wrote that book?

Q2.  So we have the book and it has some  6,236 verses or so.,....    and    forgetting THINGS this author heard and THINGS  THE AUTHOR wrote out of his/her own imagination.  ....     Now tell me how many verses of those  6,200 or so represent what   THIS HE GUY wrote about  things he saw around him ...and and what are those  verses?? 

that is very good project for Doctoral  dissertation  in a  university ..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9109 - April 30, 2020, 04:44 PM

Most that write involve their surroundings, known names.

Using known names in a writing means for you that what is written is historical ?

Then all the novels of the XXth c. are historical if one follows you. Are you sure of that?
    I'm rather not.

The Quranic author had no reason to go 100 % undercover.

Why?

He wrote about things he saw around him,

Like all novelists.

things he heard from and on top of that out of his own imagination.

Idem.
    There must be geographical references, names, that are simply overlooked

Which ones?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9110 - May 01, 2020, 12:31 PM

mundi is very smart ., always puts out thoughtful intuitive inquisitive posts that leads to number of questions and here is one from mundi

Most that write involve their surroundings, known names. The Quranic author had no reason to go 100 % undercover. He wrote about things he saw around him, things he heard from and on top of that out of his own imagination. There must be geographical references, names, that are simply overlooked because tradition places the Quran in the Hijaz. We already have some names and places, probably many more to be discovered.

That is extremely important point  and I am surprised all these 100 of faculties in the  west never inquired that point  carefully.. After all it is about the Quran the book and its author.,

The book which  i have read inside out.....upside down...,  here and there..... and every verse simply has some 77500 words put in to some 6300 statements  and dumped in to some 114 chapters..  Now mundi point is very simple analysis  of Quran ....assuming there was only one author and nothing was added or removed from it after it became a book.

So mundi says ., the Author of Quran wrote the book  from  three inputs

1.)  He wrote about things he saw around him

2).  He wrote about things things he heard from various sources of his time

3).  He wrote about things things out of his own imagination

and That is fairly good point ., Now question is .. which I already pointed in earlier post ., How can we partition Quran in to those three  parts/sections  and which verses should we put in to those sections?..

Anyway for now I was reading an article from a wonderful person whom I mentioned number of times in this forum and many other forums.,   Although I completely disagree with her  on Quran and on origins of Islam  but  her name is  Nikhat Sattar .. She is truly nice person and follows her own Islam.. and today's article from her THAT DEALS WITH QURAN  is  Quran Verses on Jihad for ijtihad
    MANY non-Muslims in the West and Muslims who perpetrate violence to achieve their aims equate jihad with holy war. The West expands it to imply terrorism. This connotation is often used by the former to justify their deliberate or otherwise (mis)understanding of Islam and to perpetuate their vilification of Muslims, and by the latter to provide religious legitimacy to their wars and fanatical activities and to recruit vulnerable youth.

To do this, one part of a Quranic verse is quoted out of context: “And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. …” (2:191). The complete verse and the one preceding it clarify that the wars are to be fought only in self-defence and protection of religious freedom and that not only should Muslims respond positively to peace efforts but also that they should forgive the transgressors.

In fact, Muslims are instructed to deal with people of other religions with kindness and dignity (60: 8 ). Also, this fighting was ordered only against the Quraish when the Prophet (PBUH) had migrated to Madina and after he had spent more than 13 years trying to convince the Quraish to leave their sinful ways, having completed his arguments.

The word ‘jihad’ in its various forms is mentioned 41 times in the Quran. It comes from the root letters of Arabic: ‘ja-ha-da’ and means struggle or effort. Three types of jihad are described: against one’s own base desires and weaknesses; against the devil’s whispers and temptations and against an enemy that has declared war. The first two are the ‘greater jihad’; the latter a lesser one. The first also means struggle for justice and promotion of what is right.....

She wrote that and more but  for our purposes she only took two verses to write whole article., in fact she took only one verse . and that is  2:191  ., let me add that verses here

وَاقْتُلُوهُمْ حَيْثُ ثَقِفْتُمُوهُمْ وَأَخْرِجُوهُم مِّنْ حَيْثُ أَخْرَجُوكُمْ ۚ وَالْفِتْنَةُ أَشَدُّ مِنَ الْقَتْلِ ۚ وَلَا تُقَاتِلُوهُمْ عِندَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ حَتَّىٰ يُقَاتِلُوكُمْ فِيهِ ۖ فَإِن قَاتَلُوكُمْ فَاقْتُلُوهُمْ ۗ كَذَ‌ٰلِكَ جَزَاءُ الْكَافِرِينَ 

Transliteration:    Waoqtuloohum haythu thaqiftumoohum waakhrijoohum min haythu akhrajookum waalfitnatu ashaddu mina alqatli wala tuqatiloohum AAinda almasjidi alharami hatta yuqatilookum feehi fain qatalookum faoqtuloohum kathalika jazao alkafireena

Yusuf Ali:   And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.

Shakir:   And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

Pickthall:   And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

Mohsin Khan:   And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah is worse than killing. And fight not with them at Al-Masjid-Al-Haram (the sanctuary at Makkah), unless they (first) fight you there. But if they attack you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Saheeh:    And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.

Question now is  where do we put that verse in those three sections of Quran  that mundi highlighted   and how can we prove that there was only one author for all these three sections?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9111 - May 01, 2020, 05:23 PM

Yeez,

2:191

I think this is a historic verse. Not something that happened, but an incitement of what to do. Key here is Mashid Al Haram. Where is this place? Is it the Temple Mount?

Altara? Could it be the Temple Mount?

Nikhat Sattar might be inspired by this verse to be tolerant and loving towards non-believers, the problem is that this verse by default does not have that effect on the average person. It needs heavy contextualization to make it so. It can be done, but it's hard...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9112 - May 01, 2020, 07:02 PM

I think this is a historic verse. Not something that happened,

Huh?  You have a (big) problem .

but an incitement of what to do. Key here is Mashid Al Haram. Where is this place? Is it the Temple Mount?

All of this is fiction or related to the thematic of the Jewish war (66-70).

The  thematic of the Jewish war (66-70), therefore that's correct  the Temple Mount.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9113 - May 01, 2020, 08:56 PM

All of this is fiction or related to the thematic of the Jewish war (66-70)

Far fetched, no, you dont convince me Altara.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9114 - May 01, 2020, 10:42 PM

What can be related to what the text recount is the battle around the Temple in 70.  All in all, this episode is (for me) a detail like all the narrative which runs through the corpus, braided with the other statements that the corpus deploys.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9115 - May 02, 2020, 07:32 AM

Altara,

I am sure you can find allusions to the year 70 and its battle just as Beck finds allusions to Sassanian conquest. And just as Yeez's Nikhat Sattar finds these same texts  of conquest and slaughter a call for brotherly/sisterly love.

Maybe many truths exist? I always thought there was only one.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9116 - May 02, 2020, 09:15 AM

I am sure you can find allusions to the year 70 and its battle just as Beck finds allusions to Sassanian conquest.

There's a big difference between 70 and its battle and Sassanian conquest. I'm sure you can perceive it.

Maybe many truths exist? I always thought there was only one.

Ambiguity is the master word of the Quran.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9117 - May 02, 2020, 09:20 AM

well  mundi  says this
    Yeez,

I think this is a historic verse. Not something that happened, but an incitement of what to do. Key here is Mashid Al Haram. Where is this place? Is it the Temple Mount?

Nikhat Sattar might be inspired by this verse to be tolerant and loving towards non-believers, the problem is that this verse by default does not have that effect on the average person. It needs heavy contextualization to make it so. It can be done, but it's hard...

And I do not know what it means., Prophet mundi  seem to be  writing Quran  verse as revelation to my simple question?? Cheesy

what does this "historic verse"  mean dear Prophet(Prophetess?)   mundi? Cheesy., My question was simple and that is

So mundi says ., the Author of Quran wrote the book  from  three inputs

1.)  He wrote about things he saw around him

2).  He wrote about things things he heard from various sources of his time

3).  He wrote about things things out of his own imagination

Question now is where do we put that verse in those three sections of Quran that mundi highlighted   and how can we prove that there was only one author for all these three sections?

that is the Question dear mundi ., So where do you put that verse?  which input got that verse in to Quran?  1? 2 ? or 3??

GIVE ME THE NUMBER AND TELL ME WHY YOU ARE GIVING ME THAT NUMBER  Dear mundi ?

anyway more important point on that verse is ., IT IS STUPID TO READ ONE VERSE and write a story on it.,  So let me read Quran around that verse to make my own story..

168.     O men! eat the lawful and good things out of what is in the earth, and do not follow the footsteps of the Shaitan; surely he is your open enemy. 

169.     He only enjoins you evil and indecency, and that you may speak against Allah what you do not know.

170.     And when it is said to them, Follow what Allah has revealed, they say: Nay! we follow what we found our fathers upon. What! and though their fathers had no sense at all, nor did they follow the right way.

171.     And the parable of those who disbelieve is as the parable of one who calls out to that which hears no more than a call and a cry; deaf, dumb (and) blind, so they do not understand.

172.     O you who believe! eat of the good things that We have provided you with, and give thanks to Allah if Him it is that you serve.

173.     He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

174.     Surely those who conceal any part of the Book that Allah has revealed and take for it a small price, they eat nothing but fire into their bellies, and Allah will not speak to them on the day of resurrection, nor will He purify them, and they shall have a painful chastisement.

175.     These are they who buy error for the right direction and chastisement for forgiveness; how bold they are to encounter fire.

176.     This is because Allah has revealed the Book with the truth; and surely those who go against the Book are in a great opposition.

177.     It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards the East and the West, but righteousness is this that one should believe in Allah and the last day and the angels and the Book and the prophets, and give away wealth out of love for Him to the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and the beggars and for (the emancipation of) the captives, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate; and the performers of their promise when they make a promise, and the patient in distress and affliction and in time of conflicts-- these are they who are true (to themselves) and these are they who guard (against evil).

178.     O you who believe! retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the slain, the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female, but if any remission is made to any one by his (aggrieved) brother, then prosecution (for the bloodwit) should be made according to usage, and payment should be made to him in a good manner; this is an alleviation from your Lord and a mercy; so whoever exceeds the limit after this he shall have a painful chastisement.

179.     And there is life for you in (the law of) retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves.

180.     Bequest is prescribed for you when death approaches one of you, if he leaves behind wealth for parents and near relatives, according to usage, a duty (incumbent) upon those who guard (against evil).

181.     Whoever then alters it after he has heard it, the sin of it then is only upon those who alter it; surely Allah is Hearing, Knowing.

182.     But he who fears an inclination to a wrong course or an act of disobedience on the part of the testator, and effects an agreement between the parties, there is no blame on him. Surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

183.     O you who believe! fasting is prescribed for you, as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may guard (against evil).

184.     For a certain number of days; but whoever among you is sick or on a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days; and those who are not able to do it may effect a redemption by feeding a poor man; so whoever does good spontaneously it is better for him; and that you fast is better for you if you know.

185.     The month of Ramazan is that in which the Quran was revealed, a guidance to men and clear proofs of the guidance and the distinction; therefore whoever of you is present in the month, he shall fast therein, and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days; Allah desires ease for you, and He does not desire for you difficulty, and (He desires) that you should complete the number and that you should exalt the greatness of Allah for His having guided you and that you may give thanks.

186.     And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way.

187.     It is made lawful to you to go into your wives on the night of the fast; they are an apparel for you and you are an apparel for them; Allah knew that you acted unfaithfully to yourselves, so He has turned to you (mercifully) and removed from you (this burden); so now be in contact with them and seek what Allah has ordained for you, and eat and drink until the whiteness of the day becomes distinct from the blackness of the night at dawn, then complete the fast till night, and have not contact with them while you keep to the mosques; these are the limits of Allah, so do not go near them. Thus does Allah make clear His communications for men that they may guard (against evil).

188.     And do not swallow up your property among yourselves by false means, neither seek to gain access thereby to the judges, so that you may swallow up a part of the property of men wrongfully while you know.

189.    They ask you concerning the new moon. Say: They are times appointed for (the benefit of) men, and (for) the pilgrimage; and it is not righteousness that you should enter the houses at their backs, but righteousness is this that one should guard (against evil); and go into the houses by their doors and be careful (of your duty) to Allah, that you may be successful.

190.     And fight in the way of Allah with those who fight with you, and do not exceed the limits, surely Allah does not love those who exceed the limits.

191. And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers. 

192.     But if they desist, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

193.     And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors.

194.    The Sacred month for the sacred month and all sacred things are (under the law of) retaliation; whoever then acts aggressively against you, inflict injury on him according to the injury he has inflicted on you and be careful (of your duty) to Allah and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil).

195.     And spend in the way of Allah and cast not yourselves to perdition with your own hands, and do good (to others); surely Allah loves the doers of good.

196.    And accomplish the pilgrimage and the visit for Allah, but if, you are prevented, (send) whatever offering is easy to obtain, and do not shave your heads until the offering reaches its destination; but whoever among you is sick or has an ailment of the head, he (should effect) a compensation by fasting or alms or sacrificing, then when you are secure, whoever profits by combining the visit with the pilgrimage (should take) what offering is easy to obtain; but he who cannot find (any offering) should fast for three days during the pilgrimage and for seven days when you return; these (make) ten (days) complete; this is for him whose family is not present in the Sacred Mosque, and be careful (of your duty) to Allah, and know that Allah is severe in requiting (evil).

197.    The pilgrimage is (performed in) the well-known months; so whoever determines the performance of the pilgrimage therein, there shall be no intercourse nor fornication nor quarrelling amongst one another; and whatever good you do, Allah knows it; and make provision, for surely the provision is the guarding of oneself, and be careful (of your duty) to Me, O men of understanding.

198.     There is no blame on you in seeking bounty from your Lord, so when you hasten on from "Arafat", then remember Allah near the Holy Monument, and remember Him as He has guided you, though before that you were certainly of the erring ones.

199.     Then hasten on from the Place from which the people hasten on and ask the forgiveness of Allah; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

200.     So when you have performed your devotions, then laud Allah as you lauded your fathers, rather a greater lauding. But there are some people who say, Our Lord! give us in the world, and they shall have no resting place.

201.     And there are some among them who say: Our Lord! grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter, and save us from the chastisement of the fire.

202.     They shall have (their) portion of what they have earned, and Allah is swift in reckoning.

203.     And laud Allah during the numbered days; then whoever hastens off in two days, there is no blame on him, and whoever remains behind, there is no blame on him, (this is) for him who guards (against evil), and be careful (of your duty) to Allah, and know that you shall be gathered together to Him.

204.    And among men is he whose speech about the life of this world causes you to wonder, and he calls on Allah to witness as to what is in his heart, yet he is the most violent of adversaries.

205.    And when he turns back, he runs along in the land that he may cause mischief in it and destroy the tilth and the stock, and Allah does not love mischief-making.

206.    And when it is said to him, guard against (the punishment of) Allah; pride carries him off to sin, therefore hell is sufficient for him; and certainly it is an evil resting place.

207.    And among men is he who sells himself to seek the pleasure of Allah; and Allah is Affectionate to the servants.

208.     O you who believe! enter into submission one and all and do not follow the footsteps of Shaitan; surely he is your open enemy.

209.    But if you slip after clear arguments have come to you, then know that Allah is Mighty, Wise.

210.     They do not wait aught but that Allah should come to them in the shadows of the clouds along with the angels, and the matter has (already) been decided; and (all) matters are returned to Allah.

211.     Ask the Israelites how many a clear sign have We given them; and whoever changes the favor of Allah after it has come to him, then surely Allah is severe in requiting (evil).

212.     The life of this world is made to seem fair to those who disbelieve, and they mock those who believe, and those who guard (against evil) shall be above them on the day of resurrection; and Allah gives means of subsistence to whom he pleases without measure.

213.     (All) people are a single nation; so Allah raised prophets as bearers of good news and as warners, and He revealed with them the Book with truth, that it might judge between people in that in which they differed; and none but the very people who were given it differed about it after clear arguments had come to them, revolting among themselves; so Allah has guided by His will those who believe to the truth about which they differed and Allah guides whom He pleases to the right path.

well  that is the stuff around that 2.191  and I need to edit this post........   yes..yes.. I edited the post and I read the verses .. all the above 45 verses  along  other verses related to Jihad...  it is indeed mind boggling to make some sense out of such verses.  So I will write something on that 2.191  but reading that article of  (( https://www.dawn.com/news/1553626/jihad-for-ijtihad  )) of Nikhat Sattar on " Jihad for ijtihad" .. she surprised me .. she says
    ...The word ‘jihad’ in its various forms is mentioned 41 times in the Quran. It comes from the root letters of Arabic: ‘ja-ha-da’ and means struggle or effort.

I don't care where where that word comes from or what its root letters are but Question to me here is where in Quran that word is mentioned 41 times in various forms.?  I have a problem with that number and I  think   Nikhat Sattar   did NOT  read Quran  carefully   and i think that also goes to many well educated folks who read/research on origins of Islam and Quran

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9118 - May 02, 2020, 10:48 PM

So on that verse 2.191 and on that Nikhat Sattar article on" Jihad for ijtihad"..
        2:191 . And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

Quran Verses on Jihad for ijtihad by  Nikhat Sattar

let me add some published   literature..

1.  The Doctrine of Jihad by Prof. Noor Muhammad  ., Journal of Law and Religion Vol. 3, No. 2 (1985), pp. 381-397

2. THE CONCEPT OF JIHAD IN ISLAMIC INTERNATIONAL LAW by  Shaheen Sardar Ali  and Javaid Rehman.,  Journal of Conflict & Security Law (2005), Vol. 10 No. 3, 321–343

3. The Use of Force under Islamic Law by Niaz A. Shah.,  The European Journal of International Law Vol. 24 ., 343–365 , 2013.

4). The Concept of Jihad In Islam by Ramlan.,  TengkuErwinsyahbana and  Nurul Hakim.,  Journal Of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS) vol 21,  PP 35-42.,  2016

5. The Koran and Jihad., 2019  Spencer book review by by David P. Goldman

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #9119 - May 03, 2020, 01:45 PM

....................I don't care where where that word comes from or what its root letters are but Question to me here is where in Quran that word is mentioned 41 times in various forms.?  I have a problem with that number and I  think   Nikhat Sattar   did NOT  read Quran  carefully   and i think that also goes to many well educated folks who read/research on origins of Islam and Quran

[At-Tawba   verse 24.

قُلْ إِن كَانَ آبَاؤُكُمْ وَأَبْنَاؤُكُمْ وَإِخْوَانُكُمْ وَأَزْوَاجُكُمْ وَعَشِيرَتُكُمْ وَأَمْوَالٌ اقْتَرَفْتُمُوهَا وَتِجَارَةٌ تَخْشَوْنَ كَسَادَهَا وَمَسَاكِنُ تَرْضَوْنَهَا أَحَبَّ إِلَيْكُم مِّنَ اللَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَجِهَادٍ فِي سَبِيلِهِ فَتَرَبَّصُوا حَتَّىٰ يَأْتِيَ اللَّهُ بِأَمْرِهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَهْدِي الْقَوْمَ الْفَاسِقِينَ

Al-Hajj verse 78  

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ ۚ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ ۚ مِّلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ۚ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِن قَبْلُ وَفِي هَـٰذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ ۚ فَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

Al-Furqaan verse 52

فَلَا تُطِعِ الْكَافِرِينَ وَجَاهِدْهُم بِهِ جِهَادًا كَبِيرًا

iAl-Mumtahana,  Verse #1

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَتَّخِذُوا عَدُوِّي وَعَدُوَّكُمْ أَوْلِيَاءَ تُلْقُونَ إِلَيْهِم بِالْمَوَدَّةِ وَقَدْ كَفَرُوا بِمَا جَاءَكُم مِّنَ الْحَقِّ يُخْرِجُونَ الرَّسُولَ وَإِيَّاكُمْ ۙ أَن تُؤْمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ رَبِّكُمْ إِن كُنتُمْ خَرَجْتُمْ جِهَادًا فِي سَبِيلِي وَابْتِغَاءَ مَرْضَاتِي ۚ تُسِرُّونَ إِلَيْهِم بِالْمَوَدَّةِ وَأَنَا أَعْلَمُ بِمَا أَخْفَيْتُمْ وَمَا أَعْلَنتُمْ ۚ وَمَن يَفْعَلْهُ مِنكُمْ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ سَوَاءَ السَّبِيلِ

• Previous page 1 ... 302 303 304305 306 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »