Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1271286 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 294 295 296297 298 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8850 - January 19, 2020, 06:47 PM

Interesting remark. What does she means by that? Does it means that fragments attest that the Quran was incomplete, therefore was in part written down after the conquest?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8851 - January 19, 2020, 06:57 PM

I didn’t get that from reading the thread, unless I’m missing something. I understood it more as not just being able to assume that fragments come from a complete Quran without further evidence.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8852 - January 19, 2020, 08:32 PM

Ok.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8853 - January 19, 2020, 08:43 PM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/bdaiwi_historia/status/1217544099512954881
    1/Did early Muslim community conceive of itself as an epistemic community (or ecclesia)? Earliest instances of Muslim religious identity? Relying on literary & material sources from theology, & poetry, to inscriptions & numismatics, thread will explore question in brief

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8854 - January 19, 2020, 10:58 PM

In fact, followers of Musaylima had their own mosque in Kufa.

As there was no "Prophet Muhammad"  some have cling to the train of "prophecy" "Musaylima" being one of them.
    But it is possible  that "Musaylima" (Muslim)  was another abstract figure, non existent, only created to be fought as a false prophet against the True Prophet.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8855 - January 20, 2020, 05:48 AM

Altara,

You contest there was a  Mohammed. What do you do with the 4 Quranic attestations?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8856 - January 20, 2020, 05:53 PM

I do nothing. It is not because a "name" is written down that it represents someone who have existed. In that case Iron Man is existing now.
    Does he exists?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8857 - January 20, 2020, 06:32 PM

Altara,

You dont think the Mohammed in the Quran refers to the writer? B-E seems to think so.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8858 - January 20, 2020, 07:38 PM

Nope.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8859 - January 21, 2020, 12:54 PM

Altara,

You contest there was a  Mohammed. What do you do with the 4 Quranic attestations?

I do nothing. It is not because a "name" is written down that it represents someone who have existed. In that case Iron Man is existing now.
    Does he exists?

Altara,

You dont think the Mohammed in the Quran refers to the writer? B-E seems to think so.

Nope.

mundi... dear mundi.. what kind of questions are they?  in fact I consider you as an expert in answering such questions.. ARE YOU TESTING ALTARA?? we already went through those four verses in this folder.. read around this post  in fact you answered the question....

https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27568.msg884118#msg884118
    https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=27568.msg884119#msg884119

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8860 - January 21, 2020, 01:25 PM

As there was no "Prophet Muhammad"  some have cling to the train of "prophecy" "Musaylima" being one of them.
    But it is possible  that "Musaylima" (Muslim)  was another abstract figure, non existent, only created to be fought as a false prophet against the True Prophet.
    Does he exists?

Hmm.. Altara mentions a names .. A VERY FAMOUS NAME IN ISLAM... Musaylima... Musaylima... Musaylima and that ..Iron Man..

Hmm.. Can any one find  for me those words in Quran?? ..  Musaylima... or...Iron Man??

If you can not find those words., then why worry about discussing such nonsense stories  that are attached to Quran by fools who preach Quran as word of Allah/god??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8861 - January 21, 2020, 04:33 PM

Hmm.. Can any one find  for me those words in Quran?? ..  Musaylima... or...Iron Man??

Cheesy
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8862 - January 21, 2020, 05:45 PM

Mohammed in Quran

read around this post  in fact you answered the question

Yeez,

No, I don't know the answer. If Mohammed was added to the book it was after 640-650. We have no trace of addition in the manuscripts.

Do I think Mohammed was the military leader of the Arabs? No,  I don't think that the military leader was the one writing the book or dictating it.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8863 - January 21, 2020, 06:18 PM

Robert M. Kerr (2020) - „Forging Ahead into the Islamic Past“ – Einige Bemerkungen zur Inschrift von Zuhayr

https://www.academia.edu/t/cqA4V-NBEWTFd-Xc6rZ/resource/work/41498981/_Forging_Ahead_into_the_Islamic_Past_Einige_Bemerkungen_zur_Inschrift_von_Zuhayr
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8864 - January 21, 2020, 09:45 PM

Mohammed in Quran

Yeez,

No, I don't know the answer. If Mohammed was added to the book it was after 640-650. We have no trace of addition in the manuscripts.

well then i and you should read our own old posts,,, we often write and forget about them dear mundi........ Hmm let me read these posts again...
    Mohammed verses for the earliest manuscripts mentioned above:

3:144   No mention in any of the early manuscripts
    33:40  only present in Dam 1-25.1 (no image available)
    3: 2  only present in Dam 1-29.1 (no image available, only partial presence "mh")
    48:29 only present in Dam 1-29.1 (no image available, part of verse containing "mhmd"is missing)

The dating of Dam 1-25.1 and 1-29.1 is controversial. These datings are done by the lab of Lyon that apparently dates "too early"

So this little survey leaves room for speculation. In any case no evidence of the verse being present and the word mhmd being omitted. I want to add that for the Dam 25 and 29, no images available in corpus coranicum, so difficult to really check.

Yeez,

Sanaa 1, Birmingham/Arab 328c,
    Qaf 47, also Dam 1-25.1 and Dam 1-29.1 have all been c14' ed to around 650, and possibly earlier (630). S 61.6 is not found in these manuscripts (see corpus Coranicum). Of course, that could be chance.

Often later additions are suggested, but the manuscripts contradict it. But that at least, is not the case for 61.6.

Nothing proven, but nothing disproven either. That is worth something, no?

Mohammed verses for the earliest manuscripts mentioned above:

3:144   No mention in any of the early manuscripts
    33:40  only present in Dam 1-25.1 (no image available)
    3: 2  only present in Dam 1-29.1 (no image available, only partial presence "mh")
    48:29 only present in Dam 1-29.1 (no image available, part of verse containing "mhmd"is missing)

The dating of Dam 1-25.1 and 1-29.1 is controversial. These datings are done by the lab of Lyon that apparently dates "too early"

So this little survey leaves room for speculation. In any case no evidence of the verse being present and the word mhmd being omitted. I want to add that for the Dam 25 and 29, no images available in corpus coranicum, so difficult to really check.

well dear mundi those posts of yours are worth something and it is worth thinking about those 4 Muhammad verses + 1 Ahmed Verse.,.. The 5 verses of Quran..

Do I think Mohammed was the military leader of the Arabs? No,  I don't think that the military leader was the one writing the book or dictating it.

well You are right., I too think in the same line.,

Well Muhammad is JUST A TITLE.. COULD BE USED FOR MEN OR WOMEN., IT MEANS "PRAISE WORTH PERSON & EXPERT IN A GIVEN FIELD"..

for e.g.  mundi is Muhammad of " https://corpuscoranicum.de/ " web site   Cheesy

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8865 - January 21, 2020, 10:20 PM

Yeez,

I miswrote of course!!!

IF Mohammed was added to the book , it was BEFORE 640-650...

Thanks for reposting my previous research...makes me doubt a little again...  I'll have to go over the manuscripts again and check with my  lists, make an update. I thought the case was closed "no additions"but apparently the proof is not there yet.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8866 - January 22, 2020, 10:51 AM

Yeez,

I miswrote of course!!!

............what?  what .. YOU MISWROTE???  miswrote??

mundiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii................... I trusted you and your analytical abilities soooooooooo much ..and I was dependent on your techniques of cross checking those verses in those ooold Quran manuscripts .. you really shocked me..

eerrrrrrrrrrr.. alright.. alright.. let us go back and discuss again those "4 Muhammad + 1 Ahmad ........"verses...
    IfMohammed was added to the book , it was BEFORE 640-650...

well that is different subject all together
    Thanks for reposting my previous research...makes me doubt a little again...  I'll have to go over the manuscripts again and check with my  lists, make an update. I thought the case was closed "no additions"but apparently the proof is not there yet.

well.. well don't thank me.,   I am exposing your errors.,   and  I am going to doubt everything you write and you do.,  and  I will ask others to cross check you everything you do in your life.... 24/7.........

So let us start again on those same verses in a different folder.. Somewhere .. there is folder in this forum named "Muhammad(PBUH) in Quran".. we will do that there.,  you and me... .. help me out

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8867 - January 22, 2020, 05:40 PM

Yeez,

Funny Yeez,

I miswrote this sentence:

AFTER = BEFORE (as in before the realization of the archetype)

But since you reminded of my previous work I am reconsidering and will check again. Things change in the field. Some manuscripts might be added to Corpus Coranicum.

Yes, it is good to crosscheck and have others join the search for Mohammed in the Quran. I'll join.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8868 - January 22, 2020, 07:34 PM

Yeez,

................. I'll join.

well on these five verses we will go in to other folder The Myth of Mecca-the Myth of Muhammad and The Myths in Islam.. and discuss the subject as this folder is involved with variety of issues in Quran... So there you and me will talk., I question and you answer + teach me on those old Quran manuscripts and the verses in it..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8869 - January 22, 2020, 10:39 PM

New book

Majid Daneshgar - Studying the Qurʾān in the Muslim Academy

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/studying-the-qurn-in-the-muslim-academy-9780190067540?cc=us&lang=en&#
    Studying the Qur'an in the Muslim Academy examines what it is like to study and teach the Qur'an at academic institutions in the Muslim world, and how politics affect scholarly interpretations of the text. Guided by the author's own journey as a student, university lecturer, and researcher in Iran, Malaysia, and New Zealand, this book provides vivid accounts of the complex academic politics he encountered. Majid Daneshgar describes the selective translation and editing of Edward Said's classic work Orientalism into various Islamic languages, and the way Said's work is weaponized to question the credibility of contemporary Western-produced scholarship in Islamic studies. Daneshgar also examines networks of journals, research centers, and universities in both Sunni and Shia contexts, and looks at examples of Quranic interpretation there. Ultimately, he offers a constructive program for enriching Islamic studies by fusing the best of Western theories with the best philological practices developed in Muslim academic contexts, aimed at encouraging respectful but critical engagement with the Qur'an.

Introduction
    I. A taboo breaking project
    II. Study organization

Chapter 1: "Islamic Apologetics" and Islamic Studies
    I. On"Islamic Apologetics"
    II. Western Islamic studies
    III. Modern trends in Qur'anic studies
    IV. Studying Islam outside its core lands

Chapter 2: The Qur'an in the Muslim Academy: What Should Be Censored?
    I. Muslims' views of western Islamic studies
    II. Western works in the Muslim academy: Rippin's Qur'anic studies
    III. Studying the Qur'an in Muslim universities and seminaries
    IV. Reading the Qur'an with other materials
    V. Self-sufficiency in academic production
    VI. Muslims' reading of Muhammad's adopted son, Zayd

Chapter 3: The Sectarian Study of Islam: A Culture of Isolation and the Isolation of Cultures
    I. From the Islamization of Biblical literature to the sectarianizing of the Muslim academy
    II. The Forgotten East
    III. Reception and marginalization of minorities
    IV. Forgetting the language and culture of everywhere/always

Chapter 4: Hatred of Iinferiority and Confrontation with the West: Forgetting Some; Remembering Others
    I. Forgetting western scholars of the Qur'an: origins
    II. E. W. Said's Orientalism
    III. Muslim study of the Qur'an in the light of Orientalism
    IV. Mis-understanding of Europeans in Orientalism
    V. Remembering scientists

Final Remarks
    I. Conclusions
    II. "Islamic Apologetics" everywhere

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8870 - January 22, 2020, 10:54 PM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1219621352140955649
    In the Qur’an and Its Biblical Subtext (and now the Qur’an and the Bible) I call for an appreciation of the Qur’an for its own sake and an appreciation of the “remarkable literary achievement” of tafsir. To call this “colonial” is a sad misunderstanding or intentional distortion.

This is the article referred to:

Joseph Lumbard - Decolonializing Qur'anic Studies

https://www.academia.edu/29844072/Decolonializing_Quranic_Studies
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8871 - January 23, 2020, 12:45 AM

Well, as some have nothing to say and want to make some buzz, they accuses others of all the sins. Sins shifted according to time and were (fortunately) forgotten. Now it's over. I think those ones will last as they are constantly repeated every day in the media since ages now. In time, some will be fed up and start to be violent. Is this what's intended?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8872 - January 23, 2020, 09:26 AM

Joseph Lumbard - Decolonializing Qur'anic Studies

https://www.academia.edu/29844072/Decolonializing_Quranic_Studies

Parvez Manzoor .................Muzaffar Iqbal....................

Well, as some have nothing to say and want to make some buzz, they accuses others of all the sins. ...................'

Yap  Parvez Manzoor and Muzaffar Iqbal likes are the heroes of Islam that write about true historical facts on Islam from Canada, Saudi Arabia and Qatar.,  Dr, Prof. Amrika Joseph Lumbard  is in a right company in Qatar to explore the history of Quran.,     Qatar is the best place to work and  make money by teaching Islam in English  along with the company of Islamic scholars from Pakistan ...............

1).  Parvez Manzoor.,  Method Against Truth: Orientalism and Quranic Studies., Muslim World   Book  Review., 7(1987), 39.

2). Muzaffar Iqbal.,   Quran.   the Orientalism and encyclopedia of the Quran ., Journal of Quranic research studies ., 3:5(2008), 12

3). Feras Hamza, Tafsir and Unlocking the Historical Quran,

4). Behnam Sadeghi  and Uwe Bergmann., Codex of companion of the prophet and the quran of the prophet., Arabica 57 (2010)  , 412

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8873 - January 23, 2020, 01:54 PM

Born and raised in Washington D.C., Lumbard was brought up within the Episcopal Church, serving as an altar boy. In his teenage years he lost interest and he was introduced to Islam when a sophomore at George Washington University. He converted to Islam a year and a half later.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_E._B._Lumbard
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8874 - January 23, 2020, 02:16 PM

It did strike me that Lumbard, a white American convert, is accusing Reynolds, from an Arab American background, of being ‘colonialist’.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8875 - January 23, 2020, 02:54 PM

For me. It does not.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8876 - January 23, 2020, 03:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klr3Jy2e3mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjsyGOaWEBw

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8877 - January 23, 2020, 04:54 PM

Interesting.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8878 - January 23, 2020, 07:32 PM

MVP thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/PhDniX/status/1220342855522246657
    New Open Access Article: "Hišām's ʾIbrāhām: Evidence for a Canonical Quranic Reading Based on the Rasm."

This paper brings together different parts of study that I've been focusing on (Qirāʾāt, Manuscripts), happy it's finally out!

A short summary thread
    https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-the-royal-asiatic-society/article/hisams-ibraham-evidence-for-a-canonical-quranic-reading-based-on-the-rasm/E1E00FF676696F869570F4A70C3115E4

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8879 - January 23, 2020, 07:37 PM

MVP :Hišām's ʾIbrāhām : Evidence for a Canonical Quranic Reading Based on the Rasm

Abstract

In early quranic Manuscripts the name of the prophet ʾIbrah̄ ım̄ occurs in two different spellings either
    ابرهم or ابرهيم . These two spellings are spread haphazardly throughout the Quran. Close examination of
    the patterns in the manuscript, however, show that the distribution of this spelling is not random or up to
    the whims of the scribe. The location where one spelling or the other occurs is highly correlated across the
    early manuscripts. Moreover, the location of one spelling or the other is highly correlated to where the
    quranic reader Hišam̄ reads the name as ʾIbrah̄am̄ or ʾIbrah̄ım̄ . This paper argues that this is not
    because these manuscripts have been written in the reading of Hišam̄ , but rather that Hišam̄ based
    his reading on the rasm of the quranic text.

https://www.academia.edu/41712793/Hi%C5%A1a_ms_%CA%BEIbra_ha_m_Evidence_for_a_Canonical_Quranic_Reading_Based_on_the_Rasm

Of course as there is no oral tradition (yawn...)
  • Previous page 1 ... 294 295 296297 298 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »