Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1271290 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 277 278 279280 281 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8340 - November 17, 2019, 06:47 PM

King shifts from scholarship to politics..................

Kind David HAS NO SCHOLARSHIP ON ISLAM ., his only contribution is highlighting Science and Mathematics from Islamic world of medieval times ., that is NOT EVEN SCIENCE ., that is historical contribution to science from middle eastern folks...  what he calls  those folks as  "Muslim Scientists" ., Any one  who names/calls  those who contributed to science in the past as well in the present times as Muslims Scientists, Christian scientists ., western scientists Chinese scientists , eastern scientists   etc..etc.. tags .... I WOULD CONSIDER THEM AS FOOLS.... sorry to say that ., that is what I call them..

Muzaffar Iqbal(Publications) and David King pubs through Islam & Science Journal

http://www.cis-ca.org/islamscience1.php

The renaissance of astronomy in Baghdad in the ninth and tenth centuries: A list of publications, mainly from the last 50 years by David A. King

They Call It Islamic Science by Pervez Hoodbhoy (1987)

I  had  the  privilege  of  recently  observing  at  close  range  the  new  Islamic  Science.  The  occasion  was  provided  by  the  international  conference  on  Scientific  Miracles  of  Qu'ran  and  Sunnah,  inaugurated  by  President  General  Mohammed  Zia-ul-Haq  in  Islamabad  on  October  18,  1987.  This  large-scale  affair,  with  hundreds  of  delegates  from  various  Muslim  countries,  had  been  jointly  organized  by  the  International  Islamic  University  in  Islamabad   together   with   the   Organization   of   Scientific   Miracles   in   Mecca.   The   magnificence  of  the  arrangements  was  beyond  dispute,  but  luckily  the  burden  on  Pakistani  taxpayers  was  said  to  be  limited.  About  half  the  total  conference  expenses  around  661akh  rupees  ($400,000)  -  were  borne  by  the  brotherly  government  of  Saudi  Arabia  which  often  subsidizes  such  excellent  causes.  Lest  it  be  thought  that  this  conference  was  a  freak  occurrence,  I  should  mention  that  it  had  been  preceded  by  two  others of a similar nature some months ago in Karachi, as well as many earlier ones. New ones are doubtlessly being planned, and will also take their due place in history. The  Scientific  Miracles  Conference  provided  me  with  a  fascinating  glimpse  into  the  concerns and issues which the new Islamic science addresses. While the reader is urged to   study   for   himself   the   published   version   of   scholarly   papers   read   at   all   such   conferences,  the  following  shortlist  of  rather  suggestively  titled  papers  presented  at  the  Scientific Miracles Conference by itself speaks volumes

And how Islamic is Islamic science anyway?

...............In  truth  the  new  Islamic  science  is  nothing  but  a  fraudulent  use  of  the  word  science.  It  seeks  to  capitalize  on  the  science  practised  by  the  early  Muslims.  But  it  shares  none  of  qualities  which  immortalized  the  achievements  of  scientists  in  Islam's  Golden  Age.  If  they  were  alive  today,  the  great  men  of  Islamic  scholarship  -like  Ibn  Sina,  Omar  Khayyam, Ibn al-Haytham, and others would probably be deeply embarrassed to see what is  being  called  Islamic  science.  These  scholars,  while  deeply  committed  Muslims,  practised science of an essentially secular kind. Mouthing empty platitudes was not their business, nor did they try to find mathematical equivalents of munafiqal or sawab......................

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8341 - November 18, 2019, 05:40 PM

Series of threads from Ian David Morris
    Let’s talk about farmers in Arabia at the dawn of Islam.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tweetistorian/status/1195429806168514560

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tweetistorian/status/1195784833647226885

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tweetistorian/status/1196161079581302784
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8342 - November 18, 2019, 06:09 PM

Let’s talk about farmers in Arabia at the dawn of Islam.

Yes, Morris ridicules Gibson for his lack of historic sources...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8343 - November 18, 2019, 07:49 PM

Morris ridicules Gibson

As usual.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8344 - November 18, 2019, 08:04 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1196058644653264896
    A bit shocking to see how many translators render the Arabic word muslimūn with the English Muslim, even in pre-Islamic contexts (such as here, Q 5:111). It is an Arabic word with an English meaning, namely those who submit/surrender.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8345 - November 18, 2019, 08:47 PM

A great neologism by the authors of the Quran.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8346 - November 19, 2019, 10:09 AM

A great neologism by the authors of the Quran.

well forget about the authors of Quran WORSE IS TRANSLATORS OF QURAN

that word "Muslim"  is also like Mecca Medina., Muhammad .. If I remember correctly it only occurs ONE TIME in whole Quran   and I am not sure that verse is really present in those  7th century Sana manuscripts

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8347 - November 19, 2019, 10:21 AM

7th century Sana manuscripts are not complete.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8348 - November 19, 2019, 01:58 PM

7th century Sana manuscripts are not complete.

Not complete in the sense ., Sana manuscripts are missing verses or missing surahs?  or they were written but goat eat some of them ? or....or they were not even written in those manuscripts??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8349 - November 19, 2019, 08:08 PM

Yeez,

If you want me to look up a specific verse.... I'm afraid the result will disappoint you again.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8350 - November 19, 2019, 10:32 PM

All ancient manuscript that one have today are not complete (not 114 sura), the first complete one that one have today is dated from the 9 th c.
    In the Sanaa palimpsest, synonyms have been written instead of  words present in  what is called the Utmanic corpus and the order of sura is not the same.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8351 - November 19, 2019, 10:51 PM

Yeez,

If you want me to look up a specific verse.... I'm afraid the result will disappoint you again.

well look for this verse dear mundi..

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ ۚ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ ۚ مِّلَّةَ أَبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ۚ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمِينَ مِن قَبْلُ وَفِي هَـٰذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاءَ عَلَى النَّاسِ ۚ فَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ ۖ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَىٰ وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

Transliteration:   Wajahidoo fee Allahi haqqa jihadihi huwa ijtabakum wama jaAAala AAalaykum fee alddeeni min harajin millata abeekum ibraheema huwa sammakumu almuslimeena min qablu wafee hatha liyakoona alrrasoolu shaheedan AAalaykum watakoonoo shuhadaa AAala alnnasi faaqeemoo alssalata waatoo alzzakata waiAAtasimoo biAllahi huwa mawlakum faniAAma almawla waniAAma alnnaseeru/

Yusuf Ali:   And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help!

Shakir:   And strive hard in (the way of) Allah, (such) a striving as is due to Him; He has chosen you and has not laid upon you an hardship in religion; the faith of your father Ibrahim; He named you Muslims before and in this, that the Apostle may be a bearer of witness to you, and you may be bearers of witness to the people; therefore keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and hold fast by Allah; He is your Guardian; how excellent the Guardian and how excellent the Helper!

Pickthall:   And strive for Allah with the endeavour which is His right. He hath chosen you and hath not laid upon you in religion any hardship; the faith of your father Abraham (is yours). He hath named you Muslims of old time and in this (Scripture), that the messenger may be a witness against you, and that ye may be witnesses against mankind. So establish worship, pay the poor-due, and hold fast to Allah. He is your Protecting friend. A blessed Patron and a blessed Helper!

Mohsin Khan:   And strive hard in Allah's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islamic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion of Islam), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship: it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islamic Monotheism). It is He (Allah) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'an), that the Messenger (Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), give Zakat and hold fast to Allah [i.e. have confidence in Allah, and depend upon Him in all your affairs]. He is your Maula (Patron, Lord), what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord) and what an Excellent Helper!

Saheeh:   And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [It is] the religion of your father, Abraham. Allah named you "Muslims" before [in former scriptures] and in this [revelation] that the Messenger may be a witness over you and you may be witnesses over the people. So establish prayer and give zakah and hold fast to Allah. He is your protector; and excellent is the protector, and excellent is the helper.

I think that is only the verses it has Arabic word "Muslims"...  Other related words in around 10 or so verses has the word "submitters"

that is what  this twit  https://mobile.twitter.com/GabrielSaidR/status/1196058644653264896 is about from  Gabriel   Reynolds., but for some reason he picked up Q 5:111 instead  of that Q22:78

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8352 - November 19, 2019, 10:56 PM

All ancient manuscript that one have today are not complete (not 114 sura), the first complete one that one have today is dated from the 9 th c.
    In the Sanaa palimpsest, synonyms have been written instead of  words present in  what is called the Utmanic corpus and the order of sura is not the same.

which one are you picking dear Altara

1). Samarkand Kufic Quran (Uthman Quran)  Imam Library, Tashkent, Uzbekistan??

2).  or  that  Blue Quran located in the National Institute of Art and Archaeology Bardo National Museum in Tunis??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8353 - November 20, 2019, 01:49 AM

All are Utmanic. Apart the Sanaa palimpsest, there is no other non Utmanic corpus  fragment (until now) in our possession.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8354 - November 20, 2019, 12:15 PM

New book

Michael Pregill - The Golden Calf between Bible and Qur'an: Scripture, Polemic, and Exegesis From Late Antiquity to Islam

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-golden-calf-between-bible-and-quran-9780198852421?q=Pregill&lang=en&cc=gb#
    This book explores the story of the Israelites' worship of the Golden Calf in its Jewish, Christian, and Muslim contexts, from ancient Israel to the emergence of Islam. It focuses in particular on the Qur'an's presentation of the narrative and its background in Jewish and Christian retellings of the episode from Late Antiquity. Across the centuries, the interpretation of the Calf episode underwent major changes reflecting the varying cultural, religious, and ideological contexts in which various communities used the story to legitimate their own tradition, challenge the claims of others, and delineate the boundaries between self and other. The book contributes to the ongoing reevaluation of the relationship between Bible and Qur'an, arguing for the necessity of understanding the Qur'an and Islamic interpretations of the history and narratives of ancient Israel as part of the broader biblical tradition. The Calf narrative in the Qur'an, central to the qur'anic conception of the legacy of Israel and the status of the Jews of its own time, reflects a profound engagement with the biblical account in Exodus, as well as being informed by exegetical and parascriptural traditions in circulation in the Qur'an's milieu in Late Antiquity. The book also addresses the issue of Western approaches to the Qur'an, arguing that the historical reliance of scholars and translators on classical Muslim exegesis of scripture has led to misleading conclusions about the meaning of qur'anic episodes.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8355 - November 20, 2019, 01:43 PM

Preface and Acknowledgements
    Note on Style
    1: Introduction: Method and Context in the Study of Bible and Qur'an
    Part I: Foundations
    2: Biblical Beginnings: The Calf of Sinai, the Calves of Jeroboam, and the Invention of Idolatry
    3: Early Jewish Interpretation: An Opportunity for Repentance, a Pretext for Polemic
    Part II: Jews, Christians, and the Contested Legacy of Israel
    4: A Hard Yoke upon Their Neck: Patristic Polemic and Amoraic Apologetic
    5: The Syrian-Palestinian Milieu in Late Antiquity: The Contested Legacy of Aaron and the Priesthood
    Part III: The Qur'anic Calf Episode
    6: The Qur'anic Calf Episode between Orientalism and Islamic Tradition
    7: A Living Calf at Sinai? Reevaluating the Qur'anic Calf Episode
    8: Rescripting Sinai: The Qur'an in the History of Interpretation of the Calf Episode
    9: Conclusion
    Bibliography
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8356 - November 20, 2019, 06:56 PM

Altara and Zeca,

Maybe you both could comment on your posts? What exactly is so interesting about this work, what do you expect to find out?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8357 - November 20, 2019, 08:00 PM

All seems interesting in this book Wink
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8358 - November 20, 2019, 08:51 PM

As Altara says.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michael_pregill/status/1196894261381218304
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8359 - November 20, 2019, 09:14 PM

Altara and Zeca,

Maybe you both could comment on your posts? What exactly is so interesting about this work, what do you expect to find out?

All seems interesting in this book Wink

well it says

A compelling exploration of the Jewish, Christian, and Islamic understandings of the account of the Golden Calf

I am not sure about that but if some 2000 books are sold  the total amount  £95.00 per book  is more useful..

Chapter (7) sūrat l-aʿrāf (The Heights)

Sahih International: And the people of Moses made, after [his departure], from their ornaments a calf - an image having a lowing sound. Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to a way? They took it [for worship], and they were wrongdoers.

Pickthall: And the folk of Moses, after (he left them), chose a calf (for worship), (made) out of their ornaments, of saffron hue, which gave a lowing sound. Saw they not that it spake not unto them nor guided them to any way? They chose it, and became wrong-doers.

Yusuf Ali: The people of Moses made, in his absence, out of their ornaments, the image of calf, (for worship): it seemed to low: did they not see that it could neither speak to them, nor show them the way? They took it for worship and they did wrong.

Shakir: And Musa's people made of their ornaments a calf after him, a (mere) body, which gave a mooing sound. What! could they not see that it did not speak to them nor guide them in the way? They took it (for worship) and they were unjust.

Muhammad Sarwar: In Moses' absence, his people manufactured a hollow sounding calf out of their ornaments. Could they not see that it could not speak to them or provide them with any guidance? They gained only evil by worshipping the calf.

Mohsin Khan: And the people of Musa (Moses) made in his absence, out of their ornaments, the image of a calf (for worship). It had a sound (as if it was mooing). Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to the way? They took it for worship and they were Zalimun (wrong-doers).

Arberry: And the people of Moses took to them, after him, of their ornaments a Calf -- a mere body that lowed. Did they not see it spoke not to them, neither guided them upon any way? Yet they took it to them, and were evildoers.

I can not spend 95 pounds to understand ONE VERSE FROM QURAN.  Imagine  trying to get the stories from each verse of Quran .. 6300 verses or so..  that will be 600000 pounds  ., instead of reading the story of one verse ., why not read that    1875  book of  Thomas Inman

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8360 - November 20, 2019, 09:55 PM

Yeez,

The book is about 1 verse?Huh??
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8361 - November 20, 2019, 11:05 PM

It focuses in particular on the Qur'an's presentation of the narrative and its background in Jewish and Christian retellings of the episode from Late Antiquity.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8362 - November 20, 2019, 11:09 PM

Yeez,

The book is about 1 verse?Huh??

well one verse repeated  in different chapters is still same one verse  and same one story dear mundi...,well if you like read more Quran  “Moses and the Golden Calf”

Sura 20Ta Ha

83. And what caused you to hasten from your people, O Musa?
    84, He said: They are here on my track and I hastened on to Thee, my Lord, that Thou mightest be pleased.
    85. He said: So surely We have tried your people after you, and the Samiri has led them astray.
    86. So Musa returned to his people wrathful, sorrowing. Said he: O my people! did not your Lord promise you a goodly promise: did then the time seem long to you, or did you wish that displeasure from your Lord should be due to you, so that you broke (your) promise to me?
    87. They said: We did not break (our) promise to you of our own accord, but we were made to bear the burdens of the ornaments of the people, then we made a casting of them, and thus did the Samiri suggest.
    88. So he brought forth for them a calf, a (mere) body, which had a mooing sound, so they said: This is your god and the god of Musa, but he forgot.
    89. What! could they not see that it did not return to them a reply, and (that) it did not control any harm or benefit for them?
    90. And certainly Haroun had said to them before: O my people! you are only tried by it, and surely your Lord is the Beneficent God, therefore follow me and obey my order.
    91. They said: We will by no means cease to keep to its worship until Musa returns to us.
    92. (Musa) said: O Haroun! what prevented you, when you saw them going astray,
    93. So that you did not follow me? Did you then disobey my order?
    94. He said: O son of my mother! seize me not by my beard nor by my head; surely I was afraid lest you should say: You have caused a division among the children of Israel and not waited for my word.
    95. He said: What was then your object, O Samiri?
    96. He said: I saw (Jibreel) what they did not see, so I took a handful (of the dust) from the footsteps of the messenger, then I threw it in the casting; thus did my soul commend to me
    97. He said: Be gone then, surely for you it will be in this life to say, Touch (me) not; and surely there is a threat for you, which shall not be made to fail to you, and look at your god to whose worship you kept (so long); we will certainly burn it, then we will certainly scatter it a (wide) scattering in the sea.

Sura 2
    The Cattle

54. And when Musa said to his people: O my people! you have surely been unjust to yourselves by taking the calf (for a god), therefore turn to your Creator (penitently), so kill your people (yourselves), that is best for you with your Creator: so He turned to you (mercifully), for surely He is the Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful.

well let me watch this.,  Hmm.............................Christianity is moving forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F85oJS_-mqs

well I am getting that from this link  https://novusordowatch.org/2019/10/golden-calf-vatican-idolatry-francis/

when  I can read bible and Quran why buy a book for 90 pounds??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8363 - November 21, 2019, 06:39 PM

Monica Green - When Numbers Don’t Count: Changing Perspectives on the Justinianic Plague

https://eidolon.pub/when-numbers-dont-count-56a2b3c3d07
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8364 - November 21, 2019, 07:47 PM

Interview in French with Guillaume Dye and Muriel Debié about the Coran des Historiens

https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/linvite-des-matins/coran-le-regard-des-historiens
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eWlY9A8zeUM
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8365 - November 21, 2019, 08:15 PM

Yes, it is translatable via the YT device.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8366 - November 22, 2019, 02:50 PM

IQSA 2019 program book and abstracts: https://iqsaweb.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/2019-iqsa-program-web_version.pdf
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8367 - November 22, 2019, 05:39 PM

Juan Cole, University of Michigan
    “Apostles to the Gentiles”: Paul and Muhammad
    (25 min)
    Tag(s): Qurʾan (Other)

Yes, many common points.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8368 - November 22, 2019, 06:37 PM

A first criticism on "Le coran des historiens""

Apparently too much specialism, not enough cooperation, and no synthesis of the work done in the first volume when applying it to the exegesis in the following volumes...

Cannot judge (haven't read the work)...

https://twitter.com/Hey_Howk/status/1197609869039325186/photo/1
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8369 - November 22, 2019, 06:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdJi7y870bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYyXGcZrMQc

• Previous page 1 ... 277 278 279280 281 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »