Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1276024 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 208 209 210211 212 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6270 - March 21, 2019, 01:37 PM

p.43. Not clear where is the main entrance toward the north, south?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6271 - March 21, 2019, 01:45 PM

The four main doors to the interior are aligned to the four cardinal points

I checked again on google earth (perspective view can distort a  little bit): the sides are not aligned, they are 10 dg off of South. Maybe if I am generous, it is rather 173 dg. But seen the al Aqsa and also the dome of the chain are at 170, I would go with that approximative number.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6272 - March 21, 2019, 01:49 PM

p.43. Not clear where is the main entrance toward the north, south?

didn't get that .. p.43. in that   Feda W. Suleiman  thesis ?  

anyways just curious here.. That dome of the rock is an OCTAGON  structure..   i wonder are there any architectural  structures similar to that,  that might  have been built between say  year 100BC to 700 AD?

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6273 - March 21, 2019, 01:50 PM

yes  Wink
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6274 - March 21, 2019, 01:51 PM

I checked again on google earth (perspective view can distort a  little bit): the sides are not aligned, they are 10 dg off of South. Maybe if I am generous, it is rather 173 dg. But seen the al Aqsa and also the dome of the chain are at 170, I would go with that approximative number.

p.43.  ( Feda W. Suleiman  thesis  link posted by yeez )Not clear where is the main entrance toward the north, south?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6275 - March 21, 2019, 01:57 PM

Yes. 710/20/30 the details of the Muhammad story was not still well constructed.

i agree with that but i wonder whether you could clarify bit more on that statement .,  from your previous post on that..
    Remember that in 730 Muhammad is said receiving his "revelations" in his sleep. (Cf. John of Damascus...) ...............

does that mean..

1).  John of Damascus wrote in the year 730 "...that Muhammad is said to be receiving his "revelations" in his sleep.."

or..or..

2).  John of Damascus wrote   "...that Muhammad is said to be receiving his "revelations" in his sleep in the year 730." ??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6276 - March 21, 2019, 02:03 PM

Similar structures to dome of the Rock:

The Kathisma church, just south of Jerusalem, close to Bethlehem. Dye wrote about it extensively.

That one is aligned to the cardinal directions , unlike the dome of the Rock.

https://www.academia.edu/12358270/The_Quran_and_its_Hypertextuality_in_Light_of_Redaction_Criticism

Gibson has it in his database with Qibla pointing to Petra (173 dg). I think he is optimistic, Qibla is in the South wall that is facing directly South (179-180 dg), which puts it off Petra a bit more:

http://thesacredcity.ca/Kathisma.html
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6277 - March 21, 2019, 02:14 PM

Similar structures to dome of the Rock:......................

http://thesacredcity.ca/Kathisma.html

well that is not really similar..

then I can say that Pentagon  building in AMRIKA is similar to  Kathisma Church or dome of the rock

anyways   WHICH ON WAS BUILT FIRST dear mundi ??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6278 - March 21, 2019, 02:19 PM

Kathisma was of course built first. It was a famous pilgrimage location, part of the very popular Mariale tradition. Dye says Quran has it Mary lore from the apocryphal nativity stories. He thinks the pilgrimage was still very popular at the times of the conquest.

Well, read the article, then you'll know all about it.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6279 - March 21, 2019, 03:48 PM

i agree with that but i wonder whether you could clarify bit more on that statement .,  from your previous post on that..does that mean..

1).  John of Damascus wrote in the year 730 "...that Muhammad is said to be receiving his "revelations" in his sleep.."

or..or..

2).  John of Damascus wrote   "...that Muhammad is said to be receiving his "revelations" in his sleep in the year 730." ??

One does not know clearly when. But, before 730 is right.

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6280 - March 21, 2019, 03:49 PM

Kathisma was of course built first.

450 (yawn...)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6281 - March 21, 2019, 05:32 PM

Kathisma was of course built first. It was a famous pilgrimage location, part of the very popular Mariale tradition. Dye says Quran has it Mary lore from the apocryphal nativity stories. He thinks the pilgrimage was still very popular at the times of the conquest.

I will . I will read the article BUT CONQUEST BY WHO & WHY dear  mundi..  well let me add these pics on that

well some times Dan Gibson's work is useful...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6282 - March 21, 2019, 08:58 PM

Gibson:

I said his database is a wonderful contribution to the research!

Conquest:

Sometimes I use terms that might not be correct or adequate, but i know you know what I mean :-)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6283 - March 21, 2019, 09:01 PM

mundi  said this to me

on that    Guillaume Dye  article .,  and  i read it ...  and mundi says

Gibson:

I said his database is a wonderful contribution to the research!

Conquest:

Sometimes I use terms that might not be correct or adequate, but i know you know what I mean :-)

lol.... off course  you know  i know  what I mean  ..., anyways dear mundi did you read that article??  Some of these works that deal with early Islamic/pre-Islamic /late Byzantine architecture  are very important resources to investigate and understand early Islamic movements and origins of Quran..

So what I am supposed get out of that   Guillaume Dye  article ??  I understand very little of folks using here  and there Quran verses  to say something on the origins of Quran

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6284 - March 21, 2019, 09:07 PM

on that    Guillaume Dye  article .,  and  i read it ...

English is ambiguous here, almost like a rasm: did you read it or are you reading it or will you read it?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6285 - March 21, 2019, 09:13 PM

English is ambiguous here, almost like a rasm: did you read it or are you reading it or will you read it?

well I read it .. the only thing I see useful is.,   he heavily uses    Kathisma site pictures .. but the use of Quran verses .. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND..

what is the point of using  Q 19:1-63* Q 3:33-63 Q 19:34-40  ...19:36-37 43:64-65...etc etc here and there verses?? USE WHOLE BOOK.. AT LEAST WHOLE CHAPTER..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6286 - March 21, 2019, 09:22 PM

The details are for the academic scholars. We can just enjoy using their conclusions and that is that the author(s) of the Quran was exposed to the Mary tradition which was very much alive in the environment of Bethlehem (not in Mecca, the Hijaz).
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6287 - March 21, 2019, 09:33 PM

The details are for the academic scholars.  We can just enjoy using their conclusions 

Err..  those guys are busy doing something they love to do...sometimes hey go over board..

and that is that the author(s) of the Quran was exposed to the Mary tradition which was very much alive in the environment of Bethlehem (not in Mecca, the Hijaz).

Oh common one need not be a scholar to say that Quran writers were exposed to environment of Bethlehem  and stories of Mary..Jesus.etc..etc., there is whole a surah on "Mary" in Quran.,    AND THERE IS "NO MECCA NO REAL MUHAMMAD" IN THE ORIGINAL QURAN ..

Now let us go back to that Kathisma Church  ,,

that destroyed structure  appears as if  BOTH COMMUNITIES ..Muslims and Christians were praying in the same building without any problems .. Question is why did that whole structure was destroyed ..when and by whom??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6288 - March 22, 2019, 08:48 AM

Yeez,

You are right to question the value of some research. But then what percentage of the posts we do here on this forum does really contribute  dance?

As long as we all are having fun we continue?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6289 - March 22, 2019, 11:23 AM

Yeez,

You are right to question the value of some research.

Yap absolutely  ..  I keep those rights and i fight as much i can for others to have those rights dear mundi., That is fundamental for progress irrespective of how much we know and how how advanced we are  in a given field of inquiry 

But then what percentage of the posts we do here on this forum does really contribute[/b][/u][/font]  dance?

well that is an important question..  same question we can ask on any given publication/concept/book..  as far as use of contribution is concerned ..outcome is irrelevant ..... IF I COULD CHANGE ONE PERSON LIKE THAT ROGUE WHO KILLED 50 or so people in New Zealand ..  Or Islamic suicide bombing trainers who use and brain wash kids fr their ulterior political and financial gains  or   if I could change 10% of one person thinking about the origins of faiths and their books and the reason for these silly faiths of cave men to guide humanity in 21st century ..  and and .. IF COULD CHANGE ONE ROGUE WHO KILL MUSLIM FOLKS just  because they cook and eat some beef .. that is good enough for me dear mundi ...

I hardly think about outcome of what i do in my life .. and the single rule that guides me in this  life is that golden rule   and that is good enough for me....

As long as we all are having fun we continue?

I agree with you unreservedly; with 99.999999999% surety ...    Having fun (NOT AT THE COST OF OTHERS) is only the thing for life ..  there is nothing beyond that  for human life .. and  for that matter for other live forms....

so now tell me about the question i posed to you before..

....Question is why did that whole structure was destroyed ..when and by whom??....

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6290 - March 22, 2019, 12:20 PM

Kathisma:

Apparently it was destroyed 12 C (Crusades?). But I think it is guess work.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6291 - March 22, 2019, 12:42 PM

Kathisma:

Apparently it was destroyed 12 C (Crusades?). But I think it is guess work.

12th century??   Ha!  look at that .... So Muslims who allegedly opposed all these iconic stories/architecture  of Christ faith  defended that structures until 12th century .. prayed together with Christians in that place  .. NOW COMES Christian  Crusades  and destroy that church?? ..... Why??   I wonder...

Really ?  did they do that??  I want to get to the bottom of  destruction of that church because   MANY SCHOLARS use Quran verses and say Muslims destroyed such Christian/byzantine Architecture...

so now tell me about this post of yours on  that article you asked to me to read

Kathisma was of course built first. It was a famous pilgrimage location, part of the very popular Mariale tradition. Dye says Quran has it Mary lore from the apocryphal nativity stories. He thinks the pilgrimage was still very popular at the times of the conquest.[/u]

I want to know MORE ABOUT THAT WORD "CONQUEST"....   conquest by who ?? when  and   why??   did   Guillaume Dye  write anything on that in that article?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6292 - March 22, 2019, 01:49 PM

Conquest:

If you want to use another word, go ahead, suggest one.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6293 - March 22, 2019, 03:18 PM

Conquest:

If you want to use another word, go ahead, suggest one.

No..no.....noooo... dear  mundi.,   conquest was/is right word... you are using right word  let me give some examples conquest in Islam itself from this folder at https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=22184.0

632: Death of the Holy Prophet....
    637: Conquest of Syria. Fall of Jerusalem. Battle of Jalula.
    638: Conquest of Jazirah.
    639: Conquest of Khuizistan. Advance into Egypt.
    640: Capture of the post of Caesaria in Syria. Conquest of Shustar and Jande Sabur in Persia.
    643: Conquest of Azarbaijan and Tabaristan (Russia).
    644: Conquest of Fars, Kerman, Sistan, Mekran and Kharan.[/u] Martyrdom of Hadrat Umar. Hadrat Othman becomes the Caliph.
    645: Campaigns in Fats.
    646: Campaigns in Khurasan, Armeain and Asia Minor.
    647: Campaigns in North Africa. Conquest of the island of Cypress.
    648: Campaigns against the Byzantines.
    651: Naval battle of the Masts against the Byzantines.
    652: Discontentment and disaffection against the rule of Hadrat Othman.
    656: Martyrdom of Hadrat Othman. Hadrat Ali becomes the Caliph. Battle of the Camel.
    657: Hadrat Ali shifts the capital from Madina to Kufa. Battle of Siffin. Arbitration proceedings at Daumaut ul Jandal.
    658: Battle of Nahrawan.
    659: Conquest of Egypt by Mu'awiyah.
    660: Hadrat Ali recaptures Hijaz and Yemen from Mu'awiyah. Mu'awiyah declares himself as the Caliph at Damascus.
    661: Martyrdom of Hadrat Ali. Accession of Hadrat Hasan and his abdication. Mu'awiyah becomes the sole Caliph.
    662: Khawarij revolts.
    666: Raid of Sicily.
    670: Advance in North Africa. Uqba b Nafe founds the town of Qairowan in Tunisia. Conquest of Kabul.
    672: Capture of the island of Rhodes. Campaigns in Khurasan.
    674: The Muslims cross the Oxus. Bukhara becomes a vassal state.
    677: Occupation of Sarnarkand and Tirmiz. Siege of Constantinople.
    680: Death of Muawiyah. Accession of Yazid. Tragedy of Kerbala and martyrdom of Hadrat Hussain.
    682: In North Africa Uqba b Nafe marches to the Atlantic, is ambushed and killed at Biskra. The Muslims evacuate Qairowan and withdraw to Burqa.
    683: Death of Yazid. Accession of Mu'awiyah II.
    684: Abdullah b Zubair declares himself aS the Caliph at'Makkah. Marwan I becomes the Caliph' at Damascus. Battle of Marj Rahat.
    685: Death of Marwan I. Abdul Malik becomes the Caliph at Damascus. Battle of Ain ul Wada.
    686: Mukhtar declares himself as the Caliph at Kufa.
    687: Battle of Kufa between the forces of Mukhtar and Abdullah b Zubair. Mukhtar killed.
    691: Battle of Deir ul Jaliq. Kufa falls to Abdul Malik.
    692: The fall of Makkah. Death of Abdullah b Zubair. Abdul Malik becomes the sole Caliph.
    695: Khawarij revolts in Jazira and Ahwaz. Battle of the Karun. Campaigns against Kahina in North Africa. The' Muslims once again withdraw to Barqa. The Muslims advance in Transoxiana and occupy Kish.
    700: Campaigns against the Berbers in North Africa.
    702: Ashath's rebellion in Iraq, battle of Deir ul Jamira.
    705: Death of Abdul Malik. Accession of Walid I as Caliph.
    711: Conquest of Spain, Sind and Transoxiana.
    712: The Muslims advance in Spain, Sind and Transoxiana.
    713: Conquest of Multan.
    715: Death of Walid I. Accession of Sulaiman.
    716: Invasion of Constantinople.
    717: Death of Sulaiman. Accession of Umar b Abdul Aziz.
    720: Death of Umar b Abdul Aziz. Accession of Yazid II.
    724: Death of Yazid II. Accession of Hisham.
    725: The Muslims occupy Nimes in France.
    732: The battle of Tours in France.

that is first 100 years of Islam.. and that too after the death of SO-CALLED PROPHET OF ISLAM .. the unknown chracter from Mecca-Madina..

So my question was nothing to do with Conquests in Islam.. Question was very specific to that Kathisma Church .. where people used to pray together from SO_CALLED DIFFERENT FAITHS of Abraham..  now suddenly everyone is trying to destroy everyone  from the year  1000 or so to all the way until colonial rule in 17th to 20th century..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6294 - March 23, 2019, 01:47 AM

The Qurʾān between Judaism and Christianity – videos
    (yawn...)

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/humanities/departments/theology-and-religious-studies/research/quran-lecture-videos-2016.aspx
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6295 - March 23, 2019, 09:12 AM

well  you are yawning but the some of those folks at that link,

Prof. Dr. Islam Dayeh

Prof. Mehdi Azaiez Assistant Professor of Islamic Theology at the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, KU Leuven,

dr, Marianna Klar   Research Associate, Centre of Islamic Studies

prof.  Gabriel Said Reynolds  Professor of Islamic Studies and Theology in the Department of Theology at Notre Dame

Dr. Omar Ali-de-Unzaga  Deputy Head of the Department of Academic Research...   Institute of Ismaili Studies

dr. Nora Katharina Schmid      research associate  Freie Universität Berlin

Professor Nicolai Sinai Professor of Islamic Studies   Oxford University

Professor.  Emran El-Badawi  University of Houston

Dr Jon Hoover, Associate Professor of Islamic Studies., University of Nottingham

and others...  I am not sure how to yawn at ALL THESE GUYS  AT THAT MEETING in 2016 dear Altara..

I am sure  views of some these folks  if not all have changed on Islam and origins of Islam/Quran...  People must realize there are bums and beasts in the town of Islam ., off course that is also true to all other faiths ...  But Islam takes cake out of them .. 

NONE OF THESE FELLOWS  WORKING IN WESTERN UNIVERSITIES AS FACULTIES  CAN OPENLY SAY ...

"QURAN IS NOT WORD OF ALLAH/GOD   BUT BOOK OF ITS TIME ."

And none of those guys  can even come to closer to what Prof. Nasr Hamid Abu Zayd  from Egypt said on the origins of Islam..

let me read about him a bit.. 

Zayd's academic work on the Qur'an led to a lawsuit against him by conservative Muslim scholars. The subsequent a hisbah trial led to him being declared an apostate (murtadd) by an Egyptian court. Since under Sharia law it was not permissible for a Muslim woman to be married to a non-Muslim man, the court also declared he could not remain married to his wife—Cairo University French Literature professor Dr. Ibtihal Younis.  This decision, in effect, forced him out of his homeland.

Forced divorce proceedings

In June (April according to another account[11]), the case moved beyond Cairo University when a group of Islamists led by the former state official, Muhammad Samida Abu Samada and including Shahin, filed a lawsuit before the Giza Lower Personal Status Court (family court) in Cairo demanding the nullification of the marriage between Abu Zayd and his wife, Dr. Ibtihal Younis, arguing that Islamic law forbids a marriage between a Muslim woman and an apostate. (The couple were not notified but heard about the case first in the tabloid newspapers.)  The court case was filed through personal status law for divorce because in this area "the Islamic Shari'a is still in force" in Egyptian law.

Filing cases of hisbah against Muslims who violated a "right of God" and thus disturbed the public order was at one time the function of an official known as the muhtasib before that function had lapsed. The lawsuit by the Islamists resurrected hisbah and had the advantage that the plaintiffs did not have to be directly affected by a defendant's alleged wrongdoing.  The hisbah principles are stated in Article 89 and 110 of the Regulations Governing Sharia Courts in Egypt but were amended in 1998, too late to help Abu Zayd

According to conservative Islamist scholars cited against Abu Zayd by the plaintiffs, the professor was an `ignorant proponent of the Enlightenment `who understand freedom of thought to mean freedom to lead the people to infidelity`. Another called Abu Zayd's work `cultural AIDS` and `intellectual terrorism.` (This critic was himself assailed as an apostate several years later for his own religious writings.)

Death threats

Shortly after the verdict was issued, a group of professors at al-Azhar University, the "theological centre of Egypt", issued a joint statement calling for Abu Zayd's execution.  The Egyptian Islamic Jihad organization (which assassinated Egyptian president Anwar Sadat in 1981 and was engaged in a guerrilla war with the government at the time) issued a statement saying the professor should be killed for abandoning his Muslim faith. But calls for his death were not limited to insurgents. Even a newspaper published by the ruling political party of the ostensibly secular anti-fundamentalist regime, The Islamic Banner, declared that `execution` was a fitting penalty if Abu Zayd failed to repent.  In addition Abu Zayd received threats in the mail, one promising "No matter how much the police tries to protect you, you will not get away.". 

Dr. Nasr Abu Zayd was protected by the police, but belief in his apostasy was so widespread that even a police officer guarding his house referred to him as a "kafir" when asked about the situation by a neighbor of Abu Zayd.............

And why he was an apostate ??  because of his publications

Works'

Abu Zayd has authored at least fourteen books in Arabic, including works on the Muʿtazila, Ibn Arabi, Al-Shafi'i, and Qurʿanic criticism, as well as books in English and articles in both languages.

Books in Arabic

Rationalism in Exegesis: A Study of the Problem of Metaphor in the Writing of the Mutazilites (Al-Ittijāh al-'Aqlī fī al-Tafsīr: Dirāsah fī Qadīyat al-Majāz fī al-Qur'ân 'inda al-Mu'tazilah), Beirut and Casablanca 1982, 4th edition 1998.

The Philosophy of Hermeneutics: A Study of Ibn al-'Arabī's Hermeneutics of the Qur'ān (Falsafat al-Ta'wīl: Dirâsah fi Ta'wīl al-Qur'ān 'inda Muḥyī al-Dīn ibn al-'Arabī), Beirut and Casablanca 1983, 4th edition, 1998.

The Systems of Signs: An Introduction to Semiotics ('Ilm al-'Alāmāt), co-editor, Cairo 1986.

The Concept of the Text: A Study of the Qur'anic Sciences (Mafhūm al-Naṣṣ: Dirāsah fī 'Ulūm al-Qur'an), Beirut and Cairo 1991, 5th edition 1998.

The Problematic of Reading and the Tools Of Interpretation (Ishkālīyāt al-Qirā'ah wa-Āliyāt al-Ta'wīl), Beirut and Casablanca 1995, 5th edition 1999.

Imam al-Shafi'i and the Foundation of the Ideology of the Middle Path [Wasatiyya] (al-Imâm al-Shāfi'ī wa-Ta'sīs al-Īdiyūlūjīyah al-Wasaṭīyah), Cairo, 3rd edition 1998.

Critique of Religious Discourse (Naqd al-Khiṭāb al-Dīnī), Cairo, 4th edition 1998.

Women in the Discourse of Crisis (al-Mar'ah fī Khiṭāb al-Azmah), Cairo 1995. See extract in English here : Dossier 17:

Women in the Discourse of Crisis, September 1997, Translated by Marlene Tadros, https://web.archive.org/web/20060617084215/http://wluml.org/english/pubsfulltxt.shtml?cmd%5B87%5D=i-87-2642

Thinking in the Time of Anathema (al-Tafkīr fī Zaman al-Takfīr), Cairo, 3ed edition 1998.

The Caliphate and the Authority of the People (al-Khilāfah wa-Sulṭat al-Ummah), Cairo, 1995.

Text, Authority, Truth (al-Naṣṣ, al-Sulṭah, al-Haqīqah), Beirut and Casablanca 1995, second edition 1997.

Circles of Fear: Reading the Discourse about Women (Dawā'ir al-Khawf: Qirā'ah fī Khiṭāb al-Mar'ah) Beirut and Casablanca 1999.

Discourse and Hermeneutics (al-Khiṭāb wa-al-Ta'wīl), Beirut and Casablanca 2000.

Thus Spoke Ibn al-'Arabī (Hākadhā Takallama Ibn al-'Arabī) The Egyptian National Organization for Books, Cairo 2002

Books in English

Reformation of Islamic Thought: A Critical Historical Analysis. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press, 2006.

Rethinking the Qur'an: Towards a Humanistic Hermeneutics. Utrecht: Humanistics University Press, 2004.

Voice of an Exile: Reflections on Islam (with Esther R. Nelson). New York: Praeger Publishers, 2004.

Articles in English

Al-Ghazali's Theory of Interpretation, Journal of Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Japan, 72, 1986, pp. 1–24.

The Perfect Man in the Qur'an: Textual Analysis, Journal of Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Japan, no. 73, 1988, pp. 111–133.

The Case of Abu-Zaid, Index on Censorship, London, 4, 1996, pp. 30–39.

Linguistic Exposition of God in the Qur'an in Fundamentalismus der Moderne, Christen und Muslime im Dialog,
    Evangelische Akademie, Loccum, Germany, 75/94, 1996, pp. 97–110.

The Textuality of The Koran in Islam and Europe in Past and Present, NIAS (Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in The Humanities and Social Sciences), 1997, pp. 43 – 52.

Divine Attributes in the Qur'an: Some poetic aspects in Islam and Modernity, edited by John Cooper, Ronald Nettler and Mohammed Mahmoud, I.B. Tauris, London, 1998, pp. 120–211.

Inquisition Trial in Egypt, in Human Rights in Islam 15, RIMO, Maastricht 1998, pp. 47–55.

Islam, Muslims and Democracy, in Religion und Politik, Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, intere Studie Nr. 151/1998, pp. 103–12.

Literature and Heresy–Literature and Justice: The Critical Potential of Enlightened religion in Literatur, Menschenrechte in Islamischen Gesellschaften und Staaten, Evangelische Akademie Loccum 22/96, 1998, pp. 18–32.

The Concept of Human Rights, the Process of Modernization and the Politics of Western Domination, in Politik und Gesellschaft: International Politics and Society, Herausgegeben von der Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, 4/1998, pp. 434–437.

The Modernization of Islam or the Islamization of Modernity, in Cosmopolitanism, Identity and Authenticity in the Middle East, ed. Roel Meijer, Curzon Press, England 1999,pp 71–86.

Islamic Cosmology and Qur'anic Exegesis, in Religion Wandel der Kosmologien, edited by Dieter Zeller, Sonderdruck 1999, pp. 217–230.

The Sectarian and the Renaissance Discourse, translated and introduced by Mona Mikhail, ALIF, Journal of Comparative Poetics, The American University of Cairo, no 19, 1999, pp. 203–222

The Image of Europe in Modern Egyptian Narrative, in Colonizer and Colonized, Eds. Theo D'haen and Patricia Krüs, Rodopi, Amsterdam-Atlanta 2000, vol. 2, pp. 627–643.

The Qur'an: God and Man in Communication: Inaugural Lecture for the Cleveringa Chair at Leiden University (November 27, 2000) http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/forum/01_1/onderzoek/2.htm

The Qur'anic Concept of Justice, Polylog, forum for Intercultural Philosophizing', No. 3 (June 2001): Website address: http://www.univie.ac.at/wigip/ http://www.polylog.org/them/2.1/fcs8-en.htm

The Qur'an, Islam and Muhammad, Reset-Dialogues on Civilizations, website address : http://www.resetdoc.org/story/00000022039

Heaven, Which Way? Al-Ahram Weekly, issue No. 603. http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2002/603/sc16-17.htm

The Dilemma of the Literary Approach to the Qur'an, ALIF, Journal of Comparative Poetics, the American University Cairo (AUC), No. 23, Literature and the Sacred, 2003, pp. 8–47.

Spricht Gott nur Arabisch? (Does God Speak Arabic?), in Michael Thumann (ed), Der Islam und der Westen, Berliner Taschenbuch Verlag, Berlin 2003, pp. 117–126.

Entries in the Encyclopædia of the Qur'ān, Brill, Leiden-Boston-Köln:
    Arrogance, Vol. I (2001), pp. 158–161.

Everyday Life: Qur'an In, Vol. II (2002), pp. 80–97.

Illness and Health, Vol. II (2002), pp. 501–502.

Intention, Vol. II (2002), pp. 549–551.

Oppression, Vol III (2003), pp. 583–584.

Islam in Europe/Europe Against Islam! Europe, Open Your Eyes, in: Robertson-von Trotha, Caroline Y. (ed.): Europe: Insights from the Outside (= Kulturwissenschaft interdisziplinär/Interdisciplinary Studies on Culture and Society, Vol. 5), Baden-Baden 2011, pp. 67–73.

Book reviews in English

Beyond The Written Words: Oral Aspects of Scripture in the History of Religion by William A. Graham, Die Welt des Islam, E.J. Brill, Leiden, 1995, 35, 1, pp. 150–152.
    Muslims, Jews and Pagans: Studies on Early Islamic Medina, by Micheal Lecker, Bibliotheca Orientalis LV No. 1 / 2, January–April 1998, Column 275–8.
    Paradise Lost: Reflections on the Struggle for Authenticity in the Middle East by C.A.O. van Nieuwenhuijze, Bibliotheca Orientalis LVI No. 3/4, May–August 1999, Column 510–513.
    Image of the Prophet Muhammad in the West, A Study of Muir, Margoliouth and Watt, by Jabal Muhammad Buaben, Bibliotheca Orientalis LVI No. 3/4, May–August 1999, Column 518–522.
    Reforming the Muslim World, by M.A. Shoudhury, Biblitheca Orientalis, LV11 No.1/2, January–April 2000 columns 221–224.
    Islamic Banking and Interest: a study of the Prohibition of Riba and its Contemporary Interpretation by Abdullad Saeed, Bibliotheca Orientalis, LV11 No. 5/6, September–December 2000 column 736–739.

FOOLS TALKS NONSENSE ON ISLAM & ORIGINS OF ISLAM FROM WESTERN UNIVERSITIES   THAT TOO BEING FACULTIES IN WESTERN UNIVERSITIES   ..

and NONE OF THESE PROFESSORS COME CLOSER TO  WHAT Dr. Zayd   contributed in understanding Islam and origins of Islam.,,
    oh well life goes on...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6296 - March 23, 2019, 11:40 AM

Yeez, if you were not there, one should invent you.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6297 - March 23, 2019, 01:25 PM

Yeez, if you were not there, one should invent you.

lol.. well you will not say that if you know me and if you know some of  those guys who organised that meeting.. rotten fruits and rotten brains of that  meeting are quite close to my home..

if I shake the link you provided

that meeting financially was  supported and  it hits these links

and those  names  are quite close to my home town and  I will stay away from them for some time ..  You see if you come from the place where I come from.. Islam becomes double edged sword..  due to Islamists as well as ISLAM HATERS ..lol....

if you casually read those three link you will figure out what I mean .. The last one was  few days back...

Anyways life goes on .. but I am interested in that link of mundi .. that ... Guillaume Dye  article .

It really surprises  me to know  how naive are these WESTERN faculty members on the origins of Islam..   funny thing is in that article prof.. Dye starts with a very important name
    As John Wansbrough remarked forty years ago, in the preface of his  Quranic Studies  .....

Who actually guided many students on early Islam including that Late Prof. Patricia Crone .,   ..Guillaume Dye  instead of working around prof.. John Wansbrough  Hypothesis of origins of Quran and early Islam  .. he goes in to Quran surah 19 .. writes some  early Islam story which is irrelevant..

I hope I  didn't upset mundi with my harsh words..  mundi I have NOTHING AGAINST YOU .. and I am very glad to read your post on that Kathisma Church  ,,

with best wishes to you all...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6298 - March 23, 2019, 02:02 PM

writes some  early Islam story which is irrelevant.

Irrelevant how?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #6299 - March 23, 2019, 03:26 PM

Irrelevant how?

Oops why did i say that article is irrelevant ??  Oh no  the publication is relevant 

may be i should read that surah again to see the relevance..

well  indeed  that article is relevant for reading surah 19? surah44?? surah Maryam?? ..dear Mahgraye.. ... only w.r.t reading Surah Maryam  it is relevant....

BUT IT IS IRRELEVANT w.r.t this 
    .............I am interested in that link of mundi .. that ... Guillaume Dye  article .

It really surprises  me to know  how naive are these WESTERN faculty members on the origins of Islam..   funny thing is in that article prof.. Dye starts with a very important name Who actually guided many students on early Islam including that Late Prof. Patricia Crone .,   ..Guillaume Dye  instead of working around prof.. John Wansbrough  Hypothesis of origins of Quran and early Islam  .. he goes in to Quran surah 19 .. writes some  early Islam story which is irrelevant..

W.R.T advancing the  Hypothesis of  John Wansbrough .....

• Previous page 1 ... 208 209 210211 212 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »