Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1277543 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 291 292 293294 295 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8760 - January 06, 2020, 03:22 PM

Yes like Christianity.

Both Syriac Christians and Jews were acquainted of the Arabic script pre-Islam (512-568 inscriptions).There's no objective reason they shouldn't be.

Jews  who acquainted with Arabic spoken language(NOT written Arabic) from where? ., I mean what part of middle east??  and how about  Christians  and Jews living in the present physical geography of Saudi Arabia ? .. What I call them as Arab Christians and Arab Jews of that time .. They too(some of those intelligent guys of that time) must have acquainted with spoken Arabic language as well as written OT & NT manuscripts/ bible of that time  ...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8761 - January 06, 2020, 04:36 PM

Both Syriac Christians and Jews were acquainted of the Arabic script pre-Islam (512-568 inscriptions)There's no objective reason they shouldn't be, as they lived with Arabs in Syria-Palestine and Iraq.

What I call them as Arab Christians and Arab Jews of that time ..

The only "Arabs Jews" are the Yemeni. They will be recognized as "Jews"  much later than their conversion to Judaism. The Talmud-s does not  make allusion to them.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8762 - January 06, 2020, 10:31 PM

The best known example of the jewish late Antique influence is the famous 5:32 verse I guess. We find its parallel in the Talmud.

well as usual I miss many posts .. and mundi post is no exception to that rule..

hi mundi.. 5:32.. the famous 5:32..  let me put that verse here

Yusuf Ali:   On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our messengers with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

Shakir:      For this reason did We prescribe to the children of Israel that whoever slays a soul, unless it be for manslaughter or for mischief in the land, it is as though he slew all men; and whoever keeps it alive, it is as though he kept alive all men; and certainly Our apostles came to them with clear arguments, but even after that many of them certainly act extravagantly in the land.

Pickthall:      For that cause We decreed for the Children of Israel that whosoever killeth a human being for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he had killed all mankind, and whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind. Our messengers came unto them of old with clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty), but afterwards lo! many of them became prodigals in the earth.

Mohsin Khan:      Because of that We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone killed a person not in retaliation of murder, or (and) to spread mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all mankind, and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind. And indeed, there came to them Our Messengers with clear proofs, evidence, and signs, even then after that many of them continued to exceed the limits (e.g. by doing oppression unjustly and exceeding beyond the limits set by Allah by committing the major sins) in the land!

Saheeh:      Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land - it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one - it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors.

and I also I want you to read  Kaleef K. Karim on that ..

and we will discuss on that but now you tell me what Talmud verses  are similar to those verses

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8763 - January 07, 2020, 06:23 AM

Yeez

https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Parallelism:_Sanhedrin_37a

There are a lot of other parallelisms. Does someone have a good reference for the Talmud and the Quran?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8764 - January 07, 2020, 01:18 PM

Witzum on 2:125 to 127

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40378843?read-now=1&refreqid=excelsior%3Ac5ecb55f468bfbc5c72bbb5dfcd6f201&seq=16#page_scan_tab_contents

Apparently this theme of building a house/altar on mount Moriah was alive and kicking in pre Quranic Christianity and Judaism...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8765 - January 07, 2020, 04:25 PM

Nope.
    Thus, for example, the descriptions of father and son building together are found in pre-Islamic Christian texts

That does not mean what you say : that Syriac Christians were eager to built something on the Temple Mount. That means that they have elaborate (before Islam) narratives about the building with Abraham and Isaac. As I already said, Christians considers that  the Temple Mount has no more role in Christianity. If it was not the case they would have built something after Constantin... They build the Church of the Holy Sepulchre : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Sepulchre

This paper has attempted to show the biblical background of the story of the foundation of the Kacba, by demonstrating the way post-biblical developments of Gen. 22 were appropriated by the Quran

Yes.

Gen. 22 probably also serves as an etiology for the worship at the temple in Jerusalem (see Gen. 22: 14), and at the very least was understood in this fashion in later Jewish tradition.72 Therefore the scene in the Quran may be understood as an appropriation of the foundation story of the Jerusalem temple, adapting it to the founding of the Kacba. This would not be the first time that the site in which the attempted sacrifice took place was identified with a sacred site of another religion.

Yes. All of this is related to what Gallez said before (2002) (Witzum is 2009) and what I say now about 637. Gallez had a real insight here. I came to this in a different way than he did. Arabs felt legitimate to build because of Q 2:124-127. For me, they had those Quranic verses: that is why they build as sons of Ishmael (as they were portrayed since ages by Jews and Christians) a House of prayer on the Temple Mount.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8766 - January 08, 2020, 05:55 PM

For me, they had those Quranic verses:

Maybe the idea of defying Christian directives of not building on the temple mount and doing exactly that already circulated amongst certain groups/sects before the Quran was written? The Quranic author picked it up and wrote it down in his text?

Isn't that just as likely?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8767 - January 08, 2020, 07:12 PM

There was no "order" to not build on the Temple Mount for one (good) reason: it was granted since ages. None Christians would have built something there. If this was not the case, they would have built before.Why they did not did it? If you're right, it is the question to pose. The issue is you have no response to this. Simply because this place was definitely (in Christian minds) disabled.That is why they did not did it.Instead they have built the  Church of the Holy Sepulchre.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8768 - January 08, 2020, 07:43 PM

It's not because since ages something is not done and had a taboo om it that it can't be turned around and be done at a later time.

These things happen all the time.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8769 - January 08, 2020, 08:39 PM

It is not a taboo. It is a Christian dogma prophetized by Jesus in the Gospel that the Temple will be destroyed.  The link between God and the Jews is broken and this place disabled as there is a new alliance. Christians have decided to leave the place as it was as a the symbol of what was over.
    What did the Arabs in 637 is not Christian. The only people they challenge are the Jews who wanted to rebuild the Temple.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8770 - January 09, 2020, 07:51 AM

Altara,
    Taboo, forbidden, choice, dogma: whatever we call the not-building on the temple mount, it doesnt really matter here. We know that in 637 something was built. The fact that the non-building on Temple Mount was an accepted status quo by Christians proves that the ideas around it were very much alive. In such a situation taking the counter position and building something is not a big step but a logical step to make a rebellious point.

It would have been different if no one in 7th C remembered the fuzz about the Temple Mount. Then a mysterious author who dug that up out of ancient texts could have introduced it out of the blue. But with what we know, the temple Mount was a living issue at the time. The Quranic author could have picked up the already living sentiment and  have written it down. The Quran is not necessarily THE inspiration of the 637 Arab action to start building. imo.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8771 - January 09, 2020, 11:30 AM

proves that the ideas around it were very much alive

Do you have sources? I do not see any sources which ground this. Except for the Jews. 637 Arabs were Jews then? Then why they prevent Jews to build?

In such a situation taking the counter position and building something is not a big step but a logical step to make a rebellious point.

It is your deduction. Do you have sources to ground it?
    (For me ...) Arabs who have built did not did it because Christians said the contrary: "One does not want a building there!"  "Guys! it is because you do not want that that we want to build one !!!"  
    I do not think 637 Arabs as childish people.

It would have been different if no one in 7th C remembered the fuzz about the Temple Mount.

The Jews not remembering the Temple? You're serious?

Then a mysterious author who dug that up out of ancient texts could have introduced it out of the blue.

Plausibly in Q 2:125-27.

But with what we know, the temple Mount was a living issue at the time.

Yes, for the Jews, no one else. (Unless you bring new sources...)

The Quranic author could have picked up the already living sentiment and  have written it down.

Unless you have (new) sources, the "living sentiment" is Jewish. Then why Arabs did not let the Jews build?  Because they did not have a clue about those texts they have, apart the fact that it was written in Arabic and with that simple fact it could not concern the Jews.
    Whom then?
    Them.

The Quran is not necessarily THE inspiration of the 637 Arab action to start building. imo.

I do not say "necessarily". I say plausibly. I do not see where this idea would have came from.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8772 - January 09, 2020, 01:32 PM

well let me think about these debatable nuggets from Altara posts.
    .........................The only "Arabs Jews" are the Yemeni. They will be recognized as "Jews"  much later than their conversion to Judaism. The Talmud-s does not  make allusion to them.............

[quote author=Altara link=topic=27568.msg886676#msg886676 date=1578311364
    ..............Both Syriac Christians and Jews were acquainted of the Arabic script pre-Islam (512-568 inscriptions).There's no objective reason they shouldn't be.

.............(For me ...) Arabs who have built did not did it because Christians said the contrary: "One does not want a building there!"  "Guys! it is because you do not want that that we want to build one !!!"  
    I do not think 637 Arabs as childish people................

Plausibly in Q 2:125-27.

Yes, for the Jews, no one else. (Unless you bring new sources...)

Unless you have (new) sources, the "living sentiment" is Jewish. Then why Arabs did not let the Jews build?  
    Because they did not have a clue about those texts they have, apart the fact that it was written in Arabic and with that simple fact it could not concern the Jews.
    Whom then?
    Them.

I wonder .. I am not reading all the posts but did anyone say "Arabs were childish people during that time?? .. I mean around  5th-6th and 7th century??

well I say every Muslim and Non-Muslim must read Pre-Islamic Arabian history  that is .. say 2 centuries before Christ to 6th century AD..  they can start with wiki.. IT IS FREE TO READ & THINK

1. Pre-Islamic Arabia_wiki

2. A HISTORICAL SURVEY OF THE RISE AND SPREAD OF CHRISTIANITY INARABIA IN THE FIRST SIX CENTURIES AD by Kevin Borge

3. Arabia and Arabs from bronze age to coming to Islam by Robert Hoyland

well few links to read

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8773 - January 09, 2020, 03:29 PM

but did anyone say "Arabs were childish people during that time?? .. I mean around  5th-6th and 7th century??

Mundi induced it: to rebel Christians: "In such a situation taking the counter position and building something is not a big step but a logical step to make a rebellious point."
    Pre-Islamic Arabian history  that is .. say 2 centuries before Christ to 6th century AD..

https://www.academia.edu/7806301/_Christianity_and_the_Arabs_in_the_sixth_century_in_G._Fisher_and_J._Djikstra_eds._Inside_and_Out_Interactions_Between_Rome_and_the_Peoples_on_the_Arabian_and_Egyptian_Frontiers_in_Late_Antiquity_Peeters_2014_
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8774 - January 09, 2020, 06:07 PM

hello Altara .. Ideally I would like to see/read and think about  that "story of Christianity in Arabia"  either from Muslim writers  or Christian writers  or Roman writers or Jewish writers  of that time or if not tat time., at least  closer to that time .. that is 6th century ..

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8775 - January 09, 2020, 06:09 PM

Mundi induced it.................

yap.. mundi is really a trouble maker here.... mundi posts always makes me to think.........

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8776 - January 09, 2020, 06:47 PM

Yeez,
     thnkyu

I don't really know if this was meant as a compliment, but I'll take it as one!!!
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8777 - January 09, 2020, 07:41 PM

hello Altara .. Ideally I would like to see/read and think about  that "story of Christianity in Arabia"  either from Muslim writers  or Christian writers  or Roman writers or Jewish writers  of that time or if not tat time., at least  closer to that time .. that is 6th century ..

That is not really reliable (biases, etc.)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8778 - January 09, 2020, 10:23 PM

That is not really reliable (biases, etc.)

well Altara .. we are talking about the folks of that time from different faiths telling the Islamic story.. the story of every author  can not be biased., more over we should easily able to figure out  with the background we have .. what is biased and what is not biased in their story..

and what is your opinion on this ....
    ..................Christianity can sometimes be seen as a tool of the state. It was clearly presented in these terms by Roman authors in the fifh and sixth centuries and there was a real correlation between Christianity and pro-Roman sympathies. But the diversification of Christian concessions in the sixth century also left room for non-Roman involvement as patrons of Christianity. Arab phylarchs may have begun by building churches to signal their membership of a Roman elite to other members of that elite. But by the late sixth century, Arab phylarchs could use their Christian credentials to appeal to their own Arab clients, where patronage of churches and monasteries could preserve the memory of themselves and their dynasty............................

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8779 - January 09, 2020, 10:40 PM

I agree.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8780 - January 09, 2020, 10:45 PM

I agree.

you agree??   So you agree with this

...............Arab converts  may have begun by building churches to signal their membership of a Roman elite to other members of that elite. But by the late sixth century, Arab converts  could use their Christian credentials to appeal to their own Arab clients, where patronage of churches and monasteries could preserve the memory of themselves and their dynasty............................

Yes?  no??

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8781 - January 09, 2020, 11:26 PM

Yes.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8782 - January 10, 2020, 12:09 AM

Yes.

then you are indirectly agreeing to an hypothesis "that  A SECT OF ARAB CHRISTIANITY/SECT OF CHRISTIAN ARABS  INITIATED ISLAMIC DOCTRINE using existing OT/NT documents /stories"  that they already knew., the only problem they had was on the Story of Christ... That Christ was Prophet and not son of god....... 

if you agree with that then this must have happened before Quran became a book and before the beginning of Arab umayyad caliphate...

what is your opinion on that last statement?

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8783 - January 10, 2020, 12:28 AM

1. Nestorian Christianity in the pre-Islamic UAE and  Southeastern Arabia.PDF by Peter Hellyer ...2001

2. The identity and witness of Arab pre-Islamic Arab Christianity: The Arabic language and the Bible. pdfby David D. Grafton

3.    Nestorian ‘merchant missionaries’ – A model for Christian Chinese migrants.pdf  by John Gordy

...................Nestorius was consecrated bishop of Constantinople on this date April 10th, 428. His elevation to this influential position had profound repercussions for the church. A firm opponent of the Arian heresy, he was accused of falling into a contrary error.

Arians taught that Christ was a created being. To refute this and other points, Nestorius argued that the Godhead joined with the human rather as if a man entered a tent or put on clothes. Instead of depicting Christ as one unified person, Nestorius saw him as a conjunction of two natures so distinct as to be different persons who had merged.

Nestorius refused to call Mary the "Mother of God." Her baby was very human, he said. Jesus' human acts and sufferings were of his human nature, not his Godhead. To say Mary was Mother of God was to say God had once been a few hours old. "God is not a baby two or three months old," he argued.

He never denied that Christ was divine. On the contrary, it was to protect Christ's divinity that he argued as he did, lest it be lost in worship of the human child. The divine nature could not be born of a woman. Nestorius' refusal to use the term "theotokus," Mother of God, led to a big argument. He pointed out that the apostles and early church fathers never employed the word. But he could not resolve the issue so as to bring into focus the Jesus we know from scripture who is completely and truly both God and man...........

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8784 - January 10, 2020, 02:24 AM

then you are indirectly agreeing to an hypothesis...

I will not respond: it is not the place (for me) to state if I think this or that about the grand theory. Details yes, grand theory, I keep it for myself as I'm working on it to be published. Sorry Yeez.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8785 - January 10, 2020, 05:09 AM

I will not respond: it is not the place (for me) to state if I think this or that about the grand theory. Details yes, grand theory, I keep it for myself as I'm working on it to be published. Sorry Yeez.

that is OK but I was NOT asking about that dear Altara..   I was asking about last statement  Cheesy
    what is your opinion on that last statement?

and the last statement was

. .............this must have happened before Quran became a book and before the beginning of Arab umayyad caliphate......................

you can answer with YES OR NO  ...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8786 - January 10, 2020, 11:20 AM

this must have happened before Quran became a book and before the beginning of Arab umayyad caliphate

What is "this"? it is that: "if you agree with that then..."
    As I  (already) said I will not respond because it is impossible to respond to a piece of phrase  without what there is before... I'm sure you get it. Dear Yeez.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8787 - January 10, 2020, 12:52 PM

What is "this"? it is that: "if you agree with that then..."
    As I  (already) said I will not respond because it is impossible to respond to a piece of phrase  without what there is before... I'm sure you get it. Dear Yeez.

Cheesy    Holy allah doll.... holy voodoo doll ......holy god........ holy cow ..

let me rewrite Altara post......

What is "this"?
     it is that:
    "if you agree with that then..."
    what there is before
     I'm sure you get it

and he responded that lyric just because I asked him to say   ..... "YES" or "NO..."., It is actually not me asking that question I just rephrased one of  mundi post as question .. mundi should be blamed for my error finmad

well then let me ask you different question dear Altara

1. Are you working on  a book?
    2. Are you working on  Ph. D. or some other thesis?
    3. Are you writing a review?
    4. Or Are you writing it for a publication?

just point out to a number....

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8788 - January 10, 2020, 12:53 PM

Well, I have (already) responded to these questions Wink

Read this :

https://www.academia.edu/24117123/With_G._Fisher_Writing_the_History_of_the_Persian_Arabs_The_pre-Islamic_perspective_on_the_Nasrids_of_al-Hirah
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #8789 - January 10, 2020, 12:59 PM

thanks for that pub.. sounds interesting

my goodness..  Now we have Persian Arabs??.. well let me read that Greg Fisher's work

We have  Arab Arabs... Israeli Arabs.. Syrian Arabs.. Yemeni Arabs..  Kurdish Arabs...Palestinian Arabs...Turkish Arabs.....  pagan Arabs.. desert Arabs..........Arabs everywhere  .. poor Arab folks  of that time are blamed for everything  that is bad in Islam 

• Previous page 1 ... 291 292 293294 295 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »