Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Qur'anic studies today

(Read 1276637 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 186 187 188189 190 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5610 - February 27, 2019, 12:14 AM

There are no core Gnostic concepts in the Quran, only accessories, like the concept of prophetism understood in a certain way. But this one is itself accessory to Gnose. This concept of prophetism was more or less necessary as the authors of the text needed it to build what they built in the Quran. Therefore it does not really tells anything about the authors, it is then (for me...) a waste of time...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5611 - February 27, 2019, 03:13 AM

(yawn)  Wink  You are right for the Quran but you are wrong for Islam.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5612 - February 27, 2019, 03:52 AM

In the Quran you are right but, in Islam, what you are saying is wrong.

Well Marc  says.."Quran has no Gnosticism  but Islam has  Gnosticism.."

Why would  you say that dear Marc?..  The simple fact that Quran  says that Jesus was  not crucified 

And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

proves that Quran writers borrowed that Gnostic  views from Gospel of Thomas  .. is it not??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5613 - February 27, 2019, 03:53 AM

proves that Quran writers borrowed that Gnostic  views from Gospel of Thomas  .. is it not??

Not necessarily, no.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5614 - February 27, 2019, 04:15 AM

Why would  you say that dear Marc?..  The simple fact that Quran  says that Jesus was  not crucified 

It is funny because my sentence is clear but you all keep going back to the Quran. But Islam is not only the Quran, it is also the ahadith, the Sira and also the Shi'a and their multiple sects.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5615 - February 27, 2019, 08:27 AM

But Islam is not only the Quran, it is also the ahadith, the Sira and also the Shi'a and their multiple sects.

I'm not searching the origin of "Islam". "Islam" is a later bricolage (and a later designation) assembled with different pieces with some external influences of the time, by 8 and 9th c. people, bricolage exterior to those who are at the origin of the Quran. Bricolage (ahadith, the Sira and also the Shi'a, etc. ) made by people who have no clues about the Quranic authors since they believed it is God.  Wink
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5616 - February 27, 2019, 02:46 PM

and Marc responds with
    It is funny because my sentence is clear but you all keep going back to the Quran. But Islam is not only the Quran, it is also the ahadith, the Sira and also the Shi'a and their multiple sects.

No...no..no... nooooo  dear Marc., you are drifting away., let me explain you in detail  but first thing on you statement

.........But Islam is not only the Quran, it is also the ahadith, the Sira and also the Shi'a and their multiple sects..................

off  course Islam is more than Quran.,   no one questions that.,  Every one knows including Muslim folks that Muslims are More than Islam & Quran  and Most importantly many of them  are people with faith(NOT ALL) like any other faith followers .. but that was not the point of your post .,

your post in response to Altara
    There are no core Gnostic concepts in the Quran, only accessories, like the concept of prophetism understood in a certain way. But this one is itself accessory to Gnose. This concept of prophetism was more or less necessary as the authors of the text needed it to build what they built in the Quran. Therefore it does not really tells anything about the authors, it is then (for me...) a waste of time...

was about Gnosticism in Quran and you said
    (yawn)  Wink  You are right for the Quran but you are wrong for Islam.

and my point was Gnostic concept/statements  are there in Quran .. are there in Islam ., many Muslim folks follow Gnostic Islam   with-in Islam...... That was my point., the fact we have many sufi Muslim  folks will prove that ., And as far as Quran is concerned ., there are many Quranic verses that are GNOSTIC IN NATURE..... In fact many of the verses that are connected to  OT & NT stories are Gnostic..  for.e.g  verses

4:158 &159 And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain  .....Rather, Allah raised him to Himself. And ever is Allah Exalted in Might and Wise.

10:30   There will every soul prove (the fruits of) the deeds it sent before: they will be brought back to Allah their rightful Lord, and their invented falsehoods will leave them in the lurch.

10:32 For that is Allah, your Lord, the Truth. And what can be beyond truth except error? So how are you averted?

18:107    Indeed, those who have believed and done righteous deeds - they will have the Gardens of Paradise as a lodging,

18:109 Say, "If the sea were ink for [writing] the words of my Lord, the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even if We brought the like of it as a supplement.

there are plenty in Quran.,  and i fully agree with you that hadith has lot more Gnostic sayings than Quran

Finally saying all that I WILL ALSO SAY

The Koran is a book with full of myths, fables and fairy tales
    as any other faith book on this earth

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5617 - February 27, 2019, 03:17 PM

and my point was Gnostic concept/statements  are there in Quran

Yes, but imperceptible. Meaning that the doctrinal base (which is the only important and original doctrinal point brought by Gnose )  on which Gnostics built those imperceptible and accessories concepts which are present in the Quran, the base is totally absent of it. Totally. When one knows what is Gnose, and on what it is built, one smiles when someone declares that the Quran is one way or another a gnostic work made by gnostic people.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5618 - February 27, 2019, 03:39 PM

Yes, but imperceptible. Meaning that the doctrinal base (which is the only important and original doctrinal point brought by Gnose )  on which Gnostics built those imperceptible and accessories concepts which are present in the Quran, the base is totally absent of it. Totally. When one knows what is Gnose, and on what it is built, one smiles     WILL LAUGH when someone declares that the Quran is one way or another a gnostic work made by gnostic people.

let me delete you word "Smile" and replace it with " will laugh "....Cheesy Cheesy

I agree with you  guys  but "what all i am saying is  "Quran has  verses that are Gnostic in nature"..    that is all what i am saying.,  Who wrote those verses  and   whether those verses have anything to do with real Gnosticism  or not is a different matter.. 

And.. and Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī  's work is full of that

ha!  look at this Muhammad's work  instead of  that  Muhammad's   work Cheesy

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5619 - February 27, 2019, 04:43 PM

"Quran has  verses that are Gnostic in nature"

Nope he has conceptions which when one digs scientifically in it  with all the gnostics sources one have (only) now can resemble to accessory ones of (some, and not all) Gnostics, and which are totally transparent to the Arabic reader or to Christian scholars of the 8,9, 10, etc., and can only be perceived by us now.
    Therefore the "Quran has  verses that are Gnostic in nature" is inexact as he would signify that the Quran is, one way or another, tied with Gnose.
    It is not.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5620 - February 27, 2019, 05:15 PM

Nope he has conceptions which when one digs scientifically in it  with all the gnostics sources one have (only) now can resemble to accessory ones of (some, and not all) Gnostics, and which are totally transparent to the Arabic reader or to Christian scholars of the 8,9, 10, etc., and can only be perceived by us now.

Therefore the "Quran has  verses that are Gnostic in nature" is inexact as he would signify that the Quran is, one way or another, tied with Gnose.
    It is not.

that is what  Altara  says.. 

well Altara .. most of what you says is clear  except that ..."  he has conceptions which when one digs scientifically in it with all the gnostics sources one have  now can resemble to accessory ones of (some, and not all) Gnostics,"..............

there   "He"   means "Quran"  or  "Jalāl ad-Dīn   Rūmī"??     I guess Rumi  right??

well let me read this  pdf file  Ṣan‘ā’ 1 and the Origins of the Qur’ān by  Behnam Sadeghi and Mohsen Goudarzi 

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5621 - February 27, 2019, 06:16 PM

Nope, "he" points the Quran first. Then (after) he can point Jalāl ad-Dīn Rūmī as this one have no clues about the Quran apart it is God then, God has to be understood one way or another. In the time of Rumi, (13 th c.) many  ancient texts have been translated in Arabic :  Rumi (and some others) as the Quran was incomprehensible and that the texts were available, read them and dig into them. They read also the Muslim guys before them who had already product a big literature about the Quran.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5622 - February 27, 2019, 06:27 PM

That was my point., the fact we have many sufi Muslim  folks will prove that .,

Lol you should have added the Shi'a because they have more gnostic concepts than all the other muslims but , like the Sufis, it doesn't prove nothing about the Quran because all of their gnostic concepts are not Quran based like Mahdi, 12th Imam, the figure of Ali as described in the Umm al Kitab, etc,etc.........

18:109 Say, "If the sea were ink for [writing] the words of my Lord, the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even if We brought the like of it as a supplement.

So now a parable is a gnostic concept ; I find it hard to agree with this but why not.  Wink

But what is interesting with studying the different muslims sect is that it helps to understand how Islam got built up and how to read between the lines of the muslim narrative.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5623 - February 27, 2019, 10:21 PM

Zellentin ; an important article (yawn...)
    Q96 Sūrat al-ʿAlaq Between Philology and Polemics: A (Very) Critical Assessment of Günter Lüling’s Ur-Qurʾān”

https://www.academia.edu/38449478/_Q96_S%C5%ABrat_al-%CA%BFAlaq_Between_Philology_and_Polemics_A_Very_Critical_Assessment_of_G%C3%BCnter_L%C3%BCling_s_Ur-Qur%CA%BE%C4%81n_in_George_Tamer_ed._Die_Koranhermeneutik_von_G%C3%BCnter_L%C3%BCling_Berlin_De_Gruyter_2019_159-185
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5624 - February 28, 2019, 07:57 AM

About Zellentin on Lüling:

...Instead of writing new texts, we should continue to read the traditional text as we have it and establish the historical context of the nascent Muslim community...

This clearly defines the paradigm certain scholars are working in. It is good to keep it in mind when reading their work and will help to understand.

I guess we can compare that with geocentricity or heliocentricity. Wikipedia says that modern geocentrists exist. I find that really interesting.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5625 - February 28, 2019, 09:26 AM

and mundi says

About Zellentin on Lüling:

...Instead of writing new texts, we should continue to read the traditional text as we have it and establish the historical context of the nascent Muslim community...

This clearly defines the paradigm certain scholars are working in. It is good to keep it in mind when reading their work and will help to understand.

I guess we can compare that with geocentricity or heliocentricity. Wikipedia says that modern geocentrists exist. I find that really interesting.

mundi says that on   this26 pages of  Polemic  publication...
    " Q96 Sūrat al-ʿAlaq Between Philology and Polemics: A (Very) Critical Assessment of Günter Lüling’s Ur-Qurʾān,” in George Tamer (ed.), Die Koranhermeneutik von Günter Lüling (Berlin: De Gruyter, 2019), 159-185."..............

Like Altara   ...I PREFER YAWNING.. and reading that Surah 96  .. no..no Surah-1.. in this very forum I read that some 7 years ago.. and I read quite often as song or a sonnet..  let me read it again here

Sonnet-1 1st 19 verses

Read in the name of your Lord Who created.
     He created man from a clot.
      Read and your Lord is Most Honorable,
     Who taught (to write) with the pen
      Taught man what he knew not.
     Nay! man is most surely inordinate,
     Because he sees himself free from want.
     Surely to your Lord is the return.

Have you seen him who forbids
      A servant when he prays?
      Have you considered if he were on the right way,
     Or enjoined guarding (against evil)?
     Have you considered if he gives the lie to the truth and turns (his) back?
     Does he not know that Allah does see?
     Nay! if he desist not, We would certainly smite his forehead,
      A lying, sinful forehead.
     Then let him summon his council,
     We too would summon the braves of the army.
      Nay! obey him not, and make obeisance and draw nigh (to Allah)

dear  mundi  you Read It vagain    and make your own song out of it.....  By the way these Academic Quran analysts have written more publications on those 19 verses of that first revelation  than any other  surah of Quran....

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5626 - February 28, 2019, 09:57 AM

Yeez,

Nonono! We shouldn't make another song out of it. I take Zelentin's advice and accept what the Cairo editions tells us. I am waiting with impatience for more articles on this Surah! So interesting. (yawn)
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5627 - February 28, 2019, 10:08 AM

Lol you should have added the Shi'a because they have more gnostic concepts than all the other muslims but , like the Sufis, it doesn't prove nothing about the Quran because all of their gnostic concepts are not Quran based like Mahdi, 12th Imam, the figure of Ali as described in the Umm al Kitab, etc,etc.........

So now a parable is a gnostic concept ; I find it hard to agree with this but why not.  Wink

well Marc .,  you better agree with me otherwise   I WILL READ  THIS TO YOU....and..and  

What is there in a parable  & what is there in   gnostic words??    they are all just words with magic in them     Cheesy    So Read it

Look then at his words
    and all the writings which have been completed.
    Give heed then, you hearers
    and you also, the angels and those who have been sent,
    and you spirits who have arisen from the dead.
    For I am the one who alone exists,
    and I have no one who will judge me.

For many are the pleasant forms which exist in numerous sins,
    and incontinencies,
    and disgraceful passions,
    and fleeting pleasures,
    which (men) embrace until they become sober
    and go up to their resting place.
    And they will find me there,
    and they will live,
    and they will not die again

Look at that.. Question  to you  is.,    Can these Moderns Scholars of Quran   make something like above from Quran verses??

But what is interesting with studying the different muslims sect is that it helps to understand how Islam got built up and how to read between the lines of the muslim narrative.

Well  I say .,   How Islam got built up is NOTHING TO DO WITH QUARN   but it is all to do with  Quranic & Islamic Politics...

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5628 - February 28, 2019, 10:20 AM

Yeez,

Nonono! We shouldn't make another song out of it. I take Zelentin's advice and accept what the Cairo editions tells us. I am waiting with impatience for more articles on this Surah! So interesting. (yawn)

NOoooooooooooo. We should make as many songs and sonnets out of Quran for that matter all these religious scriptures ...  In these modern times we have replaced Swords with something else  So we better make songs and sonnets ...  If we don't ,  that......that...... next generation will not forgive this generation   for what it did not do   and   we will end up with  millions of Baboons

Hmm let me  hear/read  that  on that Surah_1  from this

well click the picture and listen to  him  on that surah_1 aka Surah-66  dear mundi

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5629 - February 28, 2019, 12:06 PM

Yeez,

I see that this imam needs or uses the text of the Quran as memory support...
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5630 - February 28, 2019, 12:16 PM

I still did not read the all Zellentin article; I'm working on another one at the moment  (simply re copying a poor pdf copy scan of a book article of Griffith in a new file to get it clean; I think, I'd have to do that for all its articles in academia and it takes time...) Griffith articles are very worth reading, especially when one arrives to a certain point of elaboration about the Quranic author(s).
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5631 - February 28, 2019, 12:24 PM

Georges Tamer (2019) - Die Koranhermeneutik von Günter Lüling

Available: https://bit.ly/2TjQDPr
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5632 - February 28, 2019, 12:47 PM

Thanks dear Maghraye.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5633 - February 28, 2019, 02:19 PM

My pleasure, dear Altara.
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5634 - February 28, 2019, 06:44 PM

I still did not read the all Zellentin article; ..................

https://www.academia.edu/38449478/_Q96_S%C5%ABrat_al-%CA%BFAlaq_Between_Philology_and_Polemics_A_Very_Critical_Assessment_of_G%C3%BCnter_L%C3%BCling_s_Ur-Qur%CA%BE%C4%81n_in_George_Tamer_ed._Die_Koranhermeneutik_von_G%C3%BCnter_L%C3%BCling_Berlin_De_Gruyter_2019_159-185
    .............................A good example of the importance of persistence in the face of excruciating criticism may be acase in the sciences, namely that of Dan Shechtman. Despite being accused of having misunder-stood the basics of physics after claiming the existence of so-called
     “
    quasicrystals

in 1981,Shechtman continued his work over years before being vindicated by a number of internationalawards, culminating in a Nobel Prize in 2011. There are, however, three important differencesbetween Schechtman and Lüling. The former recognized that he must work in a team and pub-lished his findings collaboratively, whereas the latter worked almost exclusively on his own.Schechtman, moreover, completed his PhD and worked in the academy for a decade before ad- vancing his revolutionary concept, whereas Lüling

s unsuccessful revolution began with hisPhD...........

that is what is there in that paper to start with ....... what is Physics of Quasi crystals..  research investigations where the results are open ended & thoroughly discussed has to do with analysis an existing faith based  document??

So it is nonsense....

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5635 - February 28, 2019, 08:19 PM

Yeez, may I say something to you?
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5636 - February 28, 2019, 08:24 PM

Yeez, may I say something to you?

please do so dear Altara.....

meanwhile let me read this   https://globalnews.ca/news/4529299/wives-of-isis-fighters-want-canada/?utm_source=notification/

• Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5637 - February 28, 2019, 08:35 PM

Robert G. Hoyland (2019) - Seeing Islam As Others Saw It: A Survey and Evaluation of Christian, Jewish and Zoroastrian Writings on Early Islam

This seminal work continues to shape the thought of specialists studying the Late Antique crossroads at which Christian, Jewish, Zoroastrian, and Islamic histories met, by offering the field a new approach to the vexing question of how to write the early history of Islam. The new edition of the study produces the original text with the addition of a substantial forward in which Hoyland discusses how the field has developed over the two decades that proceeded the book’s first publication. Hoyland also shares some personal reflections on how his thinking has since developed and the potential impact of this on the findings of the original study. The book also includes new appendices that detail the later publications of the author.

https://gorgiaspress.com/seeing-islam-as-others-saw-it?fbclid=IwAR3NILA0oapDiN0dkkMcVOcVhcLsrjGv3PAJSNWx0m7llox8HYBTqLvraS0
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5638 - February 28, 2019, 08:43 PM

Ok. You did not get what Zellentin said. And despite (haha!) youre a great guy!
  • Qur'anic studies today
     Reply #5639 - February 28, 2019, 08:46 PM

Altara,

Why don't you comment on what Zellentin said. Curious.
  • Previous page 1 ... 186 187 188189 190 ... 368 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »