Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are Hijabs really a choice?

(Read 46920 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Are Hijabs really a choice?
     Reply #30 - October 03, 2016, 04:19 PM

yeezevee, you haven't answered my question. what proof do you have of linking the school with the video?

IB INSPECTOR babooshka   wants to see the bottom of that video and the hate preaching  Islamic schools that preach Islamic hadith  junk  in London.,  

well certain information on certain issues should NOT be discussed/aired on public with personal PCs,  If you do that., you ....your PC ....your house/relatives/friends/pets/your phones .. everything gets tagged from different sides and from different agencies .,

anyways  So dear IBI babooshka  ,  to answer your question to your satisfaction what info you need for linking that    video to a school in London??

that school is in Yorkshire. I would expect some of the pupils at least to have an Asian/Yorkshire slant to their accent. they all sound so...........middle eastern to me.

hmm  good  point ,, good observation by  IB INSPECTOR babooshka  .. Cheesy Cheesy

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #31 - October 03, 2016, 04:53 PM

still waiting.......

here's the thing yeezevee. that vid may be genuine. who knows. but without linkage it just becomes a dodgy hadeeth.

adios for now.

i'll be back.

Reply #32 - October 06, 2016, 12:58 PM

still waiting.......

here's the thing yeezevee. that vid may be genuine. who knows. but without linkage it just becomes a dodgy hadeeth.

here's the thing babooshka, that vid may be genuine or may not be genuine.    yes  who knows??  big Al  may   know the best  or may  know  nothing but I am not going tell  the readers who did that video and where it came  from  dear babooshka.,

but I do care about the highlighted words in your post., I care about that dodgy hadeeth and   I care about that Niqab/Burqa .. I want to get rid  both of them...  but for now let me read this news..

and any one who would like to read the news of today you guys have   to click that Niqab Muslima   Cheesy

adios for now.

i'll be back.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #33 - October 10, 2016, 09:53 PM

So I must trust what you tell me and not ask any questions regarding where you got the vid from in case I get spied upon by some 'agencys'.

scare tactics. isn't that what the prophets used to do when they had no back up? "believe in me and don't ask questions cos you'll go to hell''

you gonna have to do better than that fella.

Reply #34 - October 10, 2016, 09:58 PM

Puzzleover, I also came across that on the search but I couldn't find the video yeezevee has posted.
     Reply #35 - October 10, 2016, 10:08 PM

but I do care about the highlighted words in your post., I care about that dodgy hadeeth and   I care about that Niqab/Burqa .. I want to get rid  both of them...  but for now let me

i'm no fan of the niqab/burqa but you can't force people to take it off by insulting them. just like you can't bomb a country into becoming a peaceful nation. this is all very messed up. we need to educate people. education is the only way.

Reply #36 - November 20, 2016, 05:06 AM

Well I hate hijab/niqab.
    I can't insult people for wearing them.
    But I can make fun of hijab/niqab here on this forum.
     Cheesy Cheesy
    Ninjas with boobs.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
     Reply #37 - November 20, 2016, 05:07 AM

here's the thing babooshka, that vid may be genuine or may not be genuine.    yes  who knows??  big Al  may   know the best  or may  know  nothing but I am not going tell  the readers who did that video and where it came  from  dear babooshka.,

but I do care about the highlighted words in your post., I care about that dodgy hadeeth and   I care about that Niqab/Burqa .. I want to get rid  both of them...  but for now let me read this news..

and any one who would like to read the news of today you guys have   to click that Niqab Muslima   Cheesy

(Clicky for piccy!)

OOOO Fuck man
    this woman looks so evil.
    just look her eyes.
    Evil burqa

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
     Reply #38 - February 28, 2017, 06:55 AM

I happened across a blog that made me think of this.  Now, the questions here are pretty ignorant and insulting, but...

this sort of thing rubs me the wrong way.  I guess because it sort of implies that this person's experience with Islam is universal, and any concern with issues of sexism are just the products of racism.

My response- 

"It's great that many women can make these choices. But Islam doesn't let everyone make these choices. That's where the concern is, and equating objection to the ideology of Islam with racism against individual muslims empowers the conservatives. Generally, westerners who aren't born into Islam don't have to worry about being oppressed by Islam. And there are western muslims who are pressured by the religion to do things. The fact that that isn't the case for you and the people you know doesn't mean it doesn't occur."

Now, on the other hand, it is true, there is racist type anti-mulsim sentiments- folks who equate all refugees with Daesh for instance.   So her point is not completely coming from nowhere.  Still, I feel like this black and white mentality that criticism of Islam is racism is equally bad, especially since it seems to empower religious conservatives and is used against women critics who have suffered under islam.

http://muslimgirl.com/38735/importance-addressing-common-stereotypes-muslim-women/
    Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think. 
     Reply #39 - February 28, 2017, 06:57 AM

As a non-muslim, I will admit, the full black burqa does look a little creepy, especially at night.   
     Reply #40 - February 28, 2017, 08:07 AM

Yes,It's a choice unless one is forced to wear it then it's not a choice. Simple

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #41 - February 28, 2017, 03:05 PM

^ exactly
     Reply #42 - March 01, 2017, 01:17 AM

As a non-muslim, I will admit, the full black burqa does look a little creepy, especially at night.   

It's the sort of thing you have to play Kick the Can in after dark. I oughta pull mine out for the next game.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #43 - March 01, 2017, 08:39 AM

"It's the sort of thing you have to play Kick the Can in after dark. I oughta pull mine out for the next game."

Haha, I wish there was a "like" function.
     Reply #44 - March 02, 2017, 01:54 AM

Better yet, get out there and mobilize the neighborhood for a game. Be a legend.

Reply #45 - March 02, 2017, 03:30 PM

Hijab wasn't a choice for me. From a young age I had to wear it every time I went to the mosque, then I had it drummed into me that one day I'd be wearing it full time. My dad had strict Muslim friends as well, which influenced how he was with hijab on me. I remember one of his friends pulled up the hood of my coat when I was 6 years old and said I should be covered up. I find things like that shocking and the fact that my dad didn't speak up for me really disappointed me. Nevertheless, I wore it full time from the age of 10. A lot of Muslims have this belief it needs to be worn as early as possible, so the girl 'gets used to it', so way before puberty. All it really does is stop your childhood. You're wearing hijab, you can't play around in the park, it looks bad! I felt like when I started to wear hijab I lost everything. I suddenly had to be super sensible and act like a grown woman when I was still a child. I used to rollerblade and I had to stop that. I was never allowed to ride a bike.

I never took it off until a year ago, when I had moved away from home and felt more able to do it.
     Reply #46 - March 03, 2017, 01:50 AM

Yeah wearing proper Islamic dress made me weak as hell from lack of exercise and I never knew. When I started wearing western clothes and running around with the kids outside I became stronger at forty than I ever had been at twenty. Which was shocking and pathetic.

Reply #47 - March 03, 2017, 04:26 PM

I started going to ladies only exercise classes, my dad didn't like the clothes I wore to the classes, but I was covered up outside anyway lol.

The lack of vitamin D would annoy me. I love having the sun on my hair and my arms in the summer.
     Reply #48 - March 04, 2017, 01:27 AM

It took me two years to get used to that. My hair in the wind felt alive, and when it hit my face I always thought it was a bug or something icky- I would go to grab it and end up pulling on my hair. I might have looked a bit crazy.

Reply #49 - March 04, 2017, 06:16 PM

Lol I feel you. I have curly hair and it whips around my face like crazy. Still don't think I'm used to it.
     Reply #50 - March 04, 2017, 10:50 PM

Come to think of it, I might not be used to it either. I have had super short hair since it stopped bothering me...

Reply #51 - March 06, 2017, 02:01 PM

The hijab/niqab makes you inevitably uglier besides the health issues. Uglier in the sense that you can't exercise and causes you to often see no to very little sun which affects your hair and skin. The hijab often tears your hair, for example I remember noticing my hairline thinning, because I was an "active" munaqqabah which meant I wore the hijab/niqab for hours each day. I got rashes because I have sensitive skin, and the cloth itching on my skin in hot weather was not ideal so to speak. But I did all of that for the sake of Allah, and then when I stopped believing the hijab/niqab was my first and biggest concern to get rid of. It says a lot about the effects of hijab on a woman quality of life.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #52 - March 07, 2017, 01:18 AM

My hairline did not recover. I think it has been close to five years now since I took it off, and still I can tell. I had to live with non-relatives for a long time and so I wore it not just at work but also at home, for years.

Reply #53 - March 07, 2017, 12:43 PM

@OP:

It's certainly a choice for some women in the West who can have more de facto legal and cultural protection for choosing not to wear it. For people like my sister and some of my other female relatives, no one is forcing them, and they could quite easily choose otherwise and that decision wouldn't really be seen as threatening in either a family or societal context.

Unfortunately, this group is a small minority of those who wear the hijab throughout the world.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #54 - March 07, 2017, 03:54 PM

Come to think of it, I might not be used to it either. I have had super short hair since it stopped bothering me...

I have short hair, chin length, but curls have this tendency to just get all over my face. I still prefer it over hijab though lol.

I also have some hairline thinning, my hairdresser told me. I don't see the point of all the covering up if it ends up being bad for your health, as in you don't get much sun, your hair is always strapped down tightly on your head. I believe you can still be 'modest' without hijab. I believe that the way I dress now is still covered up, but in a different way. We don't need to wear a tent. That's another way guys have it better in Islam, they don't suffer from lack of vitamin D or their hair being covered.

Long journeys were annoying too. Needing to fix my hijab, my hair all coming out etc. Then you just know someone will point out a stray hair as if its the end of the world if someone sees said stray hair.
     Reply #55 - March 07, 2017, 03:58 PM

@OP:

It's certainly a choice for some women in the West who can have more de facto legal and cultural protection for choosing not to wear it. For people like my sister and some of my other female relatives, no one is forcing them, and they could quite easily choose otherwise and that decision wouldn't really be seen as threatening in either a family or societal context.

Unfortunately, this group is a small minority of those who wear the hijab throughout the world.

I might not have had such strong views against it if I had been given a choice. I would love to have a daughter, so I can see her being free and making her own choices in terms of religion etc.
     Reply #56 - March 08, 2017, 01:39 AM

I have short hair, chin length, but curls have this tendency to just get all over my face. I still prefer it over hijab though lol.

I also have some hairline thinning, my hairdresser told me. I don't see the point of all the covering up if it ends up being bad for your health, as in you don't get much sun, your hair is always strapped down tightly on your head. I believe you can still be 'modest' without hijab. I believe that the way I dress now is still covered up, but in a different way. We don't need to wear a tent. That's another way guys have it better in Islam, they don't suffer from lack of vitamin D or their hair being covered.

Long journeys were annoying too. Needing to fix my hijab, my hair all coming out etc. Then you just know someone will point out a stray hair as if its the end of the world if someone sees said stray hair.

I never paid for haircuts when I wore hijab, I just kept it long enough to bind up and out of the way so I could cover it and hacked off the end as needed. The past four years I have spent far too much on haircuts. Last fall I just shaved it all off and I have enjoyed not having to worry about it since then.

Reply #57 - March 08, 2017, 08:08 AM

I remember a lot of Somali sisters wore the hijab even in front of other women, if they didn't knew them well, which meant they wore the hijab since the age of 5, and for the most part of the day especially after reaching adolescence. I also noticed a lot of Somali sisters had hair problems. Some were even semi-bald. I wonder if there is a correlation, or just a coincidence.  Cry Vitamin D deficiency can cause hair loss.

Some studies have shown that vitamin D deficiency has some correlation with autism, and the Somali diaspora have noticed that children diagnosed with autism have increased in the community. They even call it the "Swedish ailment".

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #58 - March 08, 2017, 04:34 PM

I never paid for haircuts when I wore hijab, I just kept it long enough to bind up and out of the way so I could cover it and hacked off the end as needed. The past four years I have spent far too much on haircuts. Last fall I just shaved it all off and I have enjoyed not having to worry about it since then.

I still paid for haircuts while wearing hijab because I didn't want to just let my hair go. My hair was always flattened anyway and I never got to see just how much volume I had until I took it off. I remember my hair would look awful at weddings because I had to travel there with hijab on thus destroying the style.

I wonder if our hair can recover? Is hairline thinning permanent? If so I'm pretty mad I spent some of the best years of my life with my hair all covered and getting slowly destroyed.
     Reply #59 - March 08, 2017, 06:26 PM

I'm not sure it can ever be what it once was, to be perfectly honest. I think my forehead grew at least one finger thick when I tried comparing how it looked when I was 17 and how it looked at 27 Grin  Cry My hair recovered in all other aspect though, except my hairline moved up a centimeter. But my forehead had some room for lengthening, so to speak, so no bigger dammage there alhamdulillah.

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »