Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: British Iranian woman was jailed in Tehran for watching a men's volleyball match

(Read 2233 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • British Iranian woman was jailed in Tehran for watching a men's volleyball match
     OP - September 25, 2014, 06:05 AM

British Iranian woman was jailed in Tehran for watching a men's volleyball match says news

A 25-year-old British-Iranian woman is being held in solitary confinement after being arrested during a women's rights protest in Tehran, according to campaigners.

Ghonche Ghavami was detained outside the city's Azadi Stadium after she and fellow campaigners tried to enter the men-only arena to watch an Iran-Italy volleyball match.

The protesters – who all wore white headscarves in defiance of the rules demanding dark coloured hijabs – had tried to get through heavy security but were arrested, said activists.

She was reportedly then released on bail, but after returning a week later to collect her belongings Ms Ghavami was arrested and put into solitary confinement in Iran's notorious Evin political prison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0TLvK5EuYE

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• British Iranian woman was jailed in Tehran for watching a men's volleyball match
     Reply #1 - September 25, 2014, 06:19 AM

Sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-hassanrouhani-bring-my-sister-home-freeghonchehghavami

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - September 25, 2014, 06:27 AM

Interview with the brother last night starting at 42:30.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04jjsph/newsnight-24092014

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #3 - September 25, 2014, 08:14 AM

Signed!
     Reply #4 - September 26, 2014, 09:26 AM

The brother of a British law graduate imprisoned in Tehran has attempted to hand-deliver a petition calling for his sister's release to the Iranian President.

Her brother Iman tried to hand-deliver a petition bearing 375,000 signatures to the Iranian embassy in New York, only to be turned away.

Video of his comments to the press here:

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-25/british-man-petitions-irans-president-to-release-sister-from-prison/

26 Sep 2014 — Yesterday I delivered my petition to the UN Iranian Mission.

I also made a statement to the press, and a public plea to President Rouhani:

“Today, I’m issuing a personal plea to President Rouhani to please help my sister be released. Our mother is restless beyond imagination. My father, a surgeon, can’t work so deep and unnerving is his fear for his girl. We have always been a very close family. Please, President Rouhani, free Ghoncheh and reunite our family again.”

You can watch the petition delivery by clicking on the linked image below.

When President Rouhani returns to Iran, I have hope that he will take action to release my sister. Until then, please continue to spread the word so that her story is not forgotten.

Iman

https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-hassanrouhani-bring-my-sister-home-freeghonchehghavami/u/8263410?tk=Gm0VvVJ5Sjh_xtcQxakd1bLLf2SjsOZFARrRiTTkQb4&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_update_email

Reply #5 - November 18, 2014, 06:49 AM

It gets worse!

Iranian-British woman charged over opposition links

Ghoncheh Ghavami detained because of activities abroad and not for attending men’s volleyball match, says prosecutor

Associated Press in Tehran
    The Guardian, Tuesday 18 November 2014 11.21 GMT

(Clicky for piccy!)
    Ghoncheh Ghavami was arrested in June after trying to attend a men’s volleyball match in defiance of hardliners’ push for gender-segregation. Photograph: AP

An Iranian-British woman has been officially charged over her links to the opposition, not for attending a volleyball match, according to a report by the semi-official ISNA news agency,

The report quoted a statement by the Tehran prosecutor’s office as saying Ghoncheh Ghavami was active in opposition protests abroad and was in contact with foreign satellite channels including the BBC Farsi service, which was banned by Iran.

Ghavami was detained in June after trying to attend a men’s volleyball match between Iran and Italy in defiance of hardliners’ push for gender-segregation.

This is the first time that Iran has officially filed charges against Ghavami. Earlier this month, her lawyer said he had been shown a draft of the verdict sentencing Ghavami, 25, to a year in prison for “propagating against the ruling system”.

But no verdict or sentence has since been issued. The prosecutor’s statement did not refer to any conviction for Ghavami and said her case was under review.

Ghavami has twice gone on hunger strike in protest at her detention – this month and in early October – and her arrest has drawn condemnation from the highest political level.

The UK prime minister, David Cameron, underlined his concerns in a meeting with Iran’s president, Hassan Rouhani, in September at the UN general assembly in New York.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/18/iranian-british-woman-charged-ghoncheh-ghavami-volleyball?CMP=share_btn_tw
     Reply #6 - November 18, 2014, 11:25 AM

British-Iranian woman jailed in Iran left without legal representation

Lawyer for Ghoncheh Ghavami quits as Tehran says she is being held for opposition links, not for attending volleyball match

Josh Halliday
    The Guardian, Tuesday 18 November 2014 16.13 GMT

The family of a British-Iranian woman detained in Iran have spoken of their anguish after the state’s judiciary claimed she was detained for her supposed links to the opposition – not for trying to attend a volleyball match.

Ghoncheh Ghavami, a 25-year-old law graduate from London, was accused by Tehran prosecutors in a statement reported by the semi-official ISNA news agency of being involved in opposition protests.

The latest twist came as Ghavami’s family were left without legal representation after their lawyer resigned following a series of bizarre interviews to local media about the case. “It’s stressful for us,” said Ghavami’s brother, Iman, 28, from London. “Every day is a new challenge for my parents – it’s so stressful and time consuming.”

Ghavami, a graduate of SOAS, University of London, has been detained in Iran since 20 June when she was arrested at Azadi (“freedom” in Farsi) stadium in Tehran, where Iran’s national volleyball team was scheduled to play Italy. Although she was released within a few hours after the initial arrest she was rearrested days later.

Earlier this month, the family were told she had been sentenced to one year in the notorious Evin prison after being found guilty in a secret revolutionary court of spreading “propaganda against the regime”.

On Tuesday, the prosecutor’s office in Tehran told ISNA that her case was still under review and did not refer to any conviction for Ghavami.

Speaking to the Guardian from London, Iman said the family were “surprised” that she was accused of having links to opposition groups.

“She never had anything to do with the opposition really,” he said. “You could question why they are trying to take the volleyball out of the equation. They are insisting it doesn’t have anything to do with the case but she has insisted that she was arrested because of trying to attend the volleyball and her dual citizenship.

“She has said that most of the questions during interrogation were about the volleyball match. When my parents met her for the first time in prison she said the interrogation was about trying to attend the volleyball match.”

Iman said his family were looking for legal representation for Ghavami after their lawyer handed in his resignation without notice on Monday. He had given a series of “incoherent and strange” interviews to local media in Iran without Ghavami’s parents’ permission, Iman said. “It’s so stressful for us. It’s just unreal that it’s happening at all and the fact that something new happens every day is so challenging,” he added.

Ghavami has twice gone on hunger strike in protest at her detention – this month and in early October. Her arrest has drawn condemnation from the highest political level. David Cameron underlined his concerns in a meeting with Iran’s president, Hassan Rouhani, in September at the UN general assembly in New York.

A petition on the site Change.org started by Iman has amassed more than 725,000 signatures calling for Ghavami’s release.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/18/british-iranian-woman-ghoncheh-ghavami-jail?CMP=twt_gu
     Reply #7 - April 01, 2015, 06:16 AM

VICTORY FOR GHONCHEH

Iman Ghavami
    London, United Kingdom

31 Mar 2015

Today I can tell you that Ghoncheh is free! As we were celebrating Iranian New year, Iranian Government wiped out the rest of my sister's sentence. Ghoncheh will not have to spend another day, another hour in prison.

This is amazing news and I wanted you to hear from me directly. You stood by us during those difficult months. You gave my family courage and hope. The uncertainty of autumn and the dark clouds of winter have gone. And the sun once again is shining for my family. Spring is here.

My mum has finally become her old happy self and has found peace again. My mum and I will not forget your generous support and thank you sincerely. Together we brought Ghoncheh home. Ghoncheh also asked me to thank you all for your support.

This has been the best spring for my family. Hopefully this spring brings happiness and peace to all Iranians and all of you.

Iman

dance

Reply #8 - April 01, 2015, 06:45 AM

Was it part of an agreement/negotiations in the Iranian nuclear talks?
     Reply #9 - April 01, 2015, 07:40 AM

Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »