Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi. Not sure if this is the right place...

(Read 6534 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi. Not sure if this is the right place...
     Reply #30 - September 13, 2014, 07:06 AM

I've never been remotely religious, but, I do suspect that religion provides an illusion of security, that atheism can't.  In that sense, I don't expect atheism can make you as happy.

I'll be honest, I was happier when I had religious faith. Sometimes I wonder if religious faith can be captured without actually having religious faith?

Maybe if I were to invent a God and pray to it. Would this bring any happiness? The God wouldn't be real. It would kind of like an imaginary friend.

But when people have sex fantasies the other person in the fantasy is an imaginary friend too, but that doesn't detract from the pleasure they bring. In fact, if you stopped in the middle of doing the deed to tell yourself that this person is only imaginary, you'd ruin it.

Would an imaginary God work in the same way?

Take a look at other people, who believe 110% in what they're doing. They're also happy, content and satisfied. It's not religion itself that makes people happy, it's having the belief and conviction that what you're doing is right, and that it's not only helping you, but also helping society, even if in the most minute or trivial way.

I would even go as far as to say, as someone else on this forum has said, that an atheist can perhaps have a more happy, successful and fulfilling life than any religious person: only an atheist can appreciate, totally for themselves, what a wonder the Universe and all of existence is. Atheists don't have to be told to look at the creation of some all powerful creator. Atheists don't have to be told to be nice to others. Atheists don't have to be told to give charity. Atheists do these things because they want to, for themselves, not for the thought of some reward in the next life, or to pay for sins, or whatever

Good point. There is satisfaction in knowing that you are genuinely searching for the truth, rather believing what suits you best.

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
     Reply #31 - September 13, 2014, 07:24 AM

I disagree with this. Yes, whilst someone who believes 110% in their religion/god, then they are likely going to live a happy, fulfilling and satisfying life (if they're not the questioning type and providing they're not lying to themselves). Religion, or more accurately, belief in a religion, can make people do amazing things with their lives.
    Take a look at other people, who believe 110% in what they're doing. They're also happy, content and satisfied. It's not religion itself that makes people happy, it's having the belief and conviction that what you're doing is right, and that it's not only helping you, but also helping society, even if in the most minute or trivial way.

I would even go as far as to say, as someone else on this forum has said, that an atheist can perhaps have a more happy, successful and fulfilling life than any religious person: only an atheist can appreciate, totally for themselves, what a wonder the Universe and all of existence is. Atheists don't have to be told to look at the creation of some all powerful creator. Atheists don't have to be told to be nice to others. Atheists don't have to be told to give charity. Atheists do these things because they want to, for themselves, not for the thought of some reward in the next life, or to pay for sins, or whatever  icon_blahblah

Agreed.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #32 - September 17, 2014, 12:35 AM

Naw we love australia and all want to emigrate their lol, it's the other way around isnt it ? We hear that aussies hate us and call us poms, what is a pom ? 

edit:  it either stands for pomegranate which is rhyming slang for  british "immigrant"  or means prisoner of mother england - p.o.m.e

I was always told that it stands for Prisoner Of Mother England, which is an odd insult because it also applies to Australians too...

The misspelling in my name is intentional, because I'm an idiot and I can't spell properly. But I'd probably also say that even if it was a mistake. Does that clear things up?
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »