Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Intro

(Read 2632 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Intro
     OP - September 04, 2014, 02:59 PM

I've been an admirer of this forum for some time, but avoided posting as I didn't want to crash the party.  I have no muslim heritage and haven't harboured any religious beliefs since, well, never really.  I was nominally raised an Anglican, but fortunately neither parent had much time for religion, and at least one of them now happily self-describes as an atheist.  Since I see other non-ex-muslims have posted here, I thought I'd be cheeky and do likewise.

I just really want to say what a pleasure it is to read the stories of individual ex-muslims.  Of course, many of them contain their fair share of sadness and challenges, but I am delighted for anyone that is able to throw off the shackles of religion and start to appreciate life for what it really is.

This may sound culturalist, perhaps racist, or (as some would have it) 'Islamophobic', but it has been particularly gratifying to read the stories and views of ex-muslims.  As a middle class, middle-aged white person from the centre of Middle England, I have had little direct experience of the true feelings of muslims.  To an outsider like me, muslims have always seemed so certain, so secure in their faith.  Of course, I've always assumed that muslims were as susceptible to doubt as christians, jews, mormons, jedis, etc, but I thought there was precious little evidence for it.  While I have long been aware of Islamic views on apostasy, and that for many muslims, community presents a strong barrier to renouncing their faith, that was a puzzle that I didn't particularly enjoy.  If you don't mind me using a phrase that I would never normally use, you have restored my faith.  Thank you!

I don't intend to be a regular contributor here.  It seems important to me that this forum remains a haven for people that share this peculiar history - to have abandoned a particular faith.  I'm also conscious that my form of atheism would be considered unduly abrasive by many here.  But I couldn't resist saying 'hello' to a bunch of people I respect.

"Professor Richard Dawkins was put there by god to test us.  Like fossils.  And facts."  Stewart Lee
  • Intro
     Reply #1 - September 04, 2014, 03:09 PM

Welcome to the forum Mattiefcf, and have a rabbit!  bunny

Please do feel free to stick around and contribute to the discussions. We welcome people of many different backgrounds, even faiths, not just ex-muslims. I hope you continue to find pleasure in reading and contributing here!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Intro
     Reply #2 - September 04, 2014, 03:49 PM

To an outsider like me, muslims have always seemed so certain, so secure in their faith.  Of course, I've always assumed that muslims were as susceptible to doubt as christians, jews, mormons, jedis, etc, but I thought there was precious little evidence for it.  While I have long been aware of Islamic views on apostasy, and that for many muslims, community presents a strong barrier to renouncing their faith, that was a puzzle that I didn't particularly enjoy.  If you don't mind me using a phrase that I would never normally use, you have restored my faith.  Thank you!

Muslims are raised to never doubt the Qur'an. Rather, Muslims are raised to understand the wonders of Allah's perfect book. And in ensuring that very little authentic Arabic survived from the pre-Islam era, the Qur'an seized -almost- sole control of said language, giving apologists/'scholars' lots of room to explain any possible errors in the aforementioned holy book, of which there are a ton.(Imagine someone answering all your questions with "hurgablurg" and then saying "told you!" when you reveal the answer)

i.e. going from "The Earth is flat!" to "Aha, the Earth isn't a perfect circle!"

That being said, welcome aboard and I second asbie; feel free to share your view on things, it looks like you have a fairly different viewpoint of things.

أشهد أن لا إله
  • Intro
     Reply #3 - September 06, 2014, 12:32 AM

Hello Matt,

Like yourself, I am a white middle-aged man (actually, a bit more than middle-aged). 

The reason I have joined this forum is because I think it is important.  There are too few opportunities to examine and compare our attitudes with those of a different tradition, and I personally believe that we can learn from each other.

It is also very important that the general public are offered a fresh perspective to consider, rather than continue to allow them to take entrenched positions.

I have learned a great deal from the warm and friendly people I have encountered on this site, and fully intend to tell others of their generosity and sincerity.

Have a  parrot

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.
  • Intro
     Reply #4 - September 06, 2014, 12:37 AM

Welcome! Don't be afraid to stick around. Some of my favorite users on this forum have no background in Islam as far as I can tell, and they make great contributions.
  • Intro
     Reply #5 - September 06, 2014, 01:59 AM

^

Yup What lua said. 

Two of our big time active posters (Quod and Osmanthus) are not exmuslims either.   

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Intro
     Reply #6 - September 06, 2014, 02:39 AM

And just the ones I was thinking of! Nikolaj also.
  • Intro
     Reply #7 - September 06, 2014, 02:44 AM

parrot

Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »