Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: PTSD

(Read 8221 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • PTSD
     Reply #30 - September 11, 2014, 12:12 PM

I was never diagnosed with ptsd but a friend of mine that had been in a similar situation to mine suspected that I suffered from a mild ptsd. So I read a handbook about it and I could identify with some of the symptoms. Like fear off crowded places.
    I went to a therapist and it the talks just got be depress but sometimes it helped. I think its because digging to deep when u are not ready. My advice to u is to Wright a journal about how u feel and read about ptsd on your own.
  • PTSD
     Reply #31 - September 11, 2014, 08:39 PM

three, you went through years and years of constant daily abuse, violence and terror. PTSD is not something you're going to get over any time soon. It can and probably will take a number of years. Facing up to the fact you have it and need to get over it is incredibly important but getting past this will likely be harder than going into protective custody (or is it witness protection you're in?). It is a slow, painful, daunting process. Your current therapist, sweet though she may be, is doing you no favours. It is not your responsibility to cheer her up. It's unprofessional, and if she can't keep her reactions to herself, perhaps she needs to consider a different line of work, or at least different types of patients.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • PTSD
     Reply #32 - September 11, 2014, 10:11 PM

Dear Three,

Since I retired I have volunteered with an Armed Forces Charity.  I am also the Chairman of a Military Veterans Rugby Club.

Some of our guys suffer some degree of PTSD, but tough physical contact sport really helps them. 

Being with other Veterans also seems to help, as they are not asked the gormless questions which most civvies ask.

As you will have guessed, I am also a combat veteran.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.

Your life sounds interesting, didn't you say you were also a lawyer of some sort...

I wouldn't know if i had ptsd, although i do know that after my islamic ordeals i have become a little social phobic, hmm must delve into it

x
  • PTSD
     Reply #33 - September 12, 2014, 12:02 AM

Dear Three,

Since I retired I have volunteered with an Armed Forces Charity.  I am also the Chairman of a Military Veterans Rugby Club.

Some of our guys suffer some degree of PTSD, but tough physical contact sport really helps them. 

Being with other Veterans also seems to help, as they are not asked the gormless questions which most civvies ask.

As you will have guessed, I am also a combat veteran.

Kind Regards,
    Stephen.

Thank you for your service. I come from a family that has always served. I think you are right about physical sport. I have been doing parkour tag and it helps a lot, I cannot think of any time I am in a better mood than during the game. I wish I knew someone else who has this, but I do not. I have a lot of little kids, and I live in farm country, so I don't get to support groups or meetups or the like.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • PTSD
     Reply #34 - September 12, 2014, 12:12 AM

three, you went through years and years of constant daily abuse, violence and terror. PTSD is not something you're going to get over any time soon. It can and probably will take a number of years. Facing up to the fact you have it and need to get over it is incredibly important but getting past this will likely be harder than going into protective custody (or is it witness protection you're in?). It is a slow, painful, daunting process. Your current therapist, sweet though she may be, is doing you no favours. It is not your responsibility to cheer her up. It's unprofessional, and if she can't keep her reactions to herself, perhaps she needs to consider a different line of work, or at least different types of patients.

I was in protective custody first and then witness protection. It took me a year.
    My therapist is so far doing okay. When I had her before she was much weepier, and it might have been because she was expecting. She had decent suggestions last session and I have had some results. If I come up against a wall I have found another who does EMDR and hypnosis, and is highly recommended by my son's psychologist, who seems to always be right about treatments and local professionals.
    I have been doing some reading and it seems that the expected recovery time from prolonged abuse is three years, which is to say that after three years you are in a place to have your symptoms diminish enough to concentrate on recovery. So though I like the number, it's not quite what I wanted to hear. I think you are probably right on it taking a while, it took me over a year to reach a place where I did not readily show battered person syndrome.
    I am really impatient. I used to be patient. I cannot afford to be impatient, with these kids. I want my memory fixed, too. I don't like spacing things.

• PTSD
     Reply #35 - September 12, 2014, 12:19 AM

Your memory fixed? You losing time? Blocking things out?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • PTSD
     Reply #36 - September 12, 2014, 12:30 AM

It's not as bad as that. It is little things, all the time. My spaces always have multiple crumpled reminders and I keep a calendar in triplicate. It got a bit better when I started taking beta blockers to keep my adrenaline from spiking all the time, but now I lose my train of thought from triggers. So I will be repeating my grocery list in my head, and then I see something triggering in the store, and I forget why I went in there. The triggers seem normal to me, it is forgetting to look at the list or what the list is or where it is that bothers me, later, when I realize it.
    I think it is a miracle that my kids are clean and fed and have their homework done. I would probably not forget so much if I had just myself to take care of. But I have to remember all their details, too.
    I must be better or I would not even notice that I want to get better, because I would be just moving from reaction to reaction.
    When we were doing karate it was awful. I hope it was the karate, because if it was the schedule for extra curricular activities then I have more coming up. I suppose I will find out by the end of next month if it is the schedule or the triggers.

• PTSD
     Reply #37 - September 12, 2014, 12:38 AM

far away hug

• PTSD
     Reply #38 - September 12, 2014, 12:40 AM

I just need a personal assistant and an au pair and I will be fine. Thanks!

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »