Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Revision tips

(Read 1643 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Revision tips
     OP - December 13, 2012, 04:49 PM

So I thought this deserved a thread. A few members, including myself, have finals soon so yeah, any useful memory tips etc would be awesome <3 I find finding the motivation to start the most difficult part and even then I've never really revised (except for cramming a day or two before). So what helps you?

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
  • Revision tips
     Reply #1 - December 13, 2012, 04:58 PM

Its the end of the world soon, why bother?   Wink

Teach us to care and not to care / Teach us to sit still.
    What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult to each other
    You are the music while the music lasts.
    T.S.Eliot
  • Revision tips
     Reply #2 - December 13, 2012, 05:00 PM

Its the end of the world soon, why bother?   Wink

Oh, right, just in case those Mayans had it wrong  whistling2

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
  • Revision tips
     Reply #3 - December 13, 2012, 05:02 PM

dont go hours at a time.

do 20 minutes revision, then mess about for 10 minutes. do some kick ups, basketball - whatever. rinse and repeat.
    There is actual science behind this proposal. It is supposed to allow you to more efficiently use the time when you are at peak focus. But it also allows you to not feel guilty about messing about, and diminishes the daunting task of actually starting because you are only going to do 20 minutes.

once you have got through a topic, summarise it into bullet points. Go over the summary the next day, then the next week.
  • Revision tips
     Reply #4 - December 13, 2012, 05:06 PM

So I thought this deserved a thread. A few members, including myself, have finals soon so yeah, any useful memory tips etc would be awesome <3 I find finding the motivation to start the most difficult part and even then I've never really revised (except for cramming a day or two before). So what helps you?

getting out of this forum and sticking your butt to a chair and and READ.....READ AND REVISE what has been told in the class,,

So Start right now Rendezvous..   go buy some food.. milk.. .. snacks and put your head in to the books/notes  that will help...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Revision tips
     Reply #5 - December 13, 2012, 06:11 PM

I used to break things up into thirty minutes of intense revision followed by 15 to 20 minutes of a break - back when I was revising I'd allow myself a cigarette, cups of tea, whatever - listen to some music, or just pop out of the room and jump up and down - basically give yourself little incentives after each deep session of 30 - 40 minutes - that makes each session manageable because you can see the end of it and treat yourself.

When you take a long break go for a walk if possible to keep clearing your head and refreshing memory space - at the end of the days work treat yourself watch a movie, eat a cake or something Smiley

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Revision tips
     Reply #6 - December 13, 2012, 07:32 PM

If your willpower is up to it, and you don't feel that you'll be sucked into it too much, why not make internet time your treat to break up some of your study sessions? I know its a risk of getting stuck on surfing, but it might be that incentive too. See how it goes. Good luck

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Revision tips
     Reply #7 - December 13, 2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone  far away hug furiously taking notes on neon post-its Tongue

@Billy: I have the willpower of a wooden spoon when it comes to the internet XD

• Revision tips
     Reply #8 - December 13, 2012, 07:55 PM

Make a list of all the topics you need to cover for each subject, and assign them each to a day. That way, you know exactly what you need to be covering everyday, and it won't feel so overwhelming and stressful. Also try and wake up early during the holidays, you'll probably be a lot more productive in the mornings.

For the actual revision, I used to condense each topic into bullet points, and memorize them. Then in the exam, you can expand on each point without having to memorize everything. Good luck!  Smiley

'Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.'

Join the chat!
  • Revision tips
     Reply #9 - December 13, 2012, 09:40 PM

What Dr Sloth said.
    It depends a little on what you are learning also.
    There is a website which uses the science of memory to help people learn various things: http://www.memrise.com/
    The trick is to blitz learn for short periods 10-15 minutes - passively [can you point it out in an MCQ], actively [fill in the blank] etc. - then reinforce it a couple of days later.  You need flashcards to get that to work though.

It's probably a bit late at this stage of your study, but I've used the journey method mnemonic: http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTIM_05.htm

Basically, I use rooms in buildings I'm familiar with [house, apartment block, friend's houses, community buildings, the gym office, your first school etc.]. I use every corner of every room as a "register" into which I put a particular fact to remember. Then I go through each room in turn creating a path in my mind.
    Then I represent a fact as a small "video clip" of images that represent the facts I need to remember.

As an example, as at some stages I had to learn off lots of numbers, I represent various numbers by certain images
    a spider is 8 [legs], a cat is 9 [lives], Highlander is 1 [there can be only...], and represent multiples of 10 as decades - 40's would be Nazis [WWII], 50's Elvis, 70's disco John Travolta.  So a giant Nazi spider would be 48.
    The trick is to use outrageous images preferably in a "video clip" - i.e. they aren't simply standing there. Try to involve all your senses - smell, sound, taste, flashing lights, strong emotions you've experienced - both good and bad. Use things that have some meaning to you to give the stuff you now are learning meaning [even if at the start it
    There is a bit of a knack trying to find images to represent concepts - the images have to be quite specific: "is that a bird - or a particular type of bird, I can't remember...". It is better to go with
    e.g. say you want to make an image for "emancipation" - creating an image of some guy having handcuffs removed is ambiguous.
    A Man City fan with constipation. [MAN-C-'Pation] for me would be more memorable though...

A seriously useful technique when you get the knack of it.
  • Revision tips
     Reply #10 - August 03, 2014, 12:53 AM

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Revision tips
     Reply #11 - August 03, 2014, 12:56 AM

do 20 minutes revision, then mess about for 10 minutes. do some kick ups, basketball - whatever. rinse and repeat.

I used to do this, it works wonders. Problem being that you need enough motivation to get right back into revision mode after X minutes of procrastination.

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Revision tips
     Reply #12 - August 03, 2014, 01:12 AM

1 hour hard-core revision followed by a break.

Enjoying the subject helps immensely.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »