Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: I am a 16 year old from England, and I am an Ex-muslim.

(Read 2725 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I am a 16 year old from England, and I am an Ex-muslim.
     OP - July 05, 2014, 08:41 PM

Wow. I am almost LITERALLY in the same place. I'm also 16 (almost 17), from northern England, and while I'm not sure if I can call myself an "ex-muslim" (though I'm slowly getting closer to maybe admitting this to myself at some point), I'm having a hard time with expressing this. Only one close friend of mine knows about this as he is also in the same boat. However, I was born and raised in a Muslim Pakistani household and while my parents are not strict on the religion, I could still never even go as far as hinting my discontent at the religion. 'God' know what would happen.
    In fact, recently (around 15 minutes ago), I thought I'd confide in my brother by telling him I've been reading the english translation of the Quran, but once I told him that there are some things I don't agree on (I needed to get this off my chest), he said, "I don't want to say this, but you sounded like an Atheist. Don't only pick out the bad things and you want to make sure dad doesn't find out." While he wasn't harsh about it and we continued talking about whatever else afterwards, I'm glad I told him this even if it was a little bit because now I know for certain that I can't tell anyone this.
    My parents aren't harsh. I'm mostly able to do as I please; cut my hair, dye it, I exclusively wear 'Western' clothes, listen to music, go out with friends or to the theatre etc. They do sometimes ask when I'm going to start praying or randomly suggest I do so, but that topic isn't brought up too much and I understand that they feel it is their duty to remind me, so this isn't too much of a problem either. There are things my father says that I don't agree with, some to do with religion and some with culture but after getting very angry, I calm down after a while and ignore it. I'm used to it. But other than that, I guess compared to most families around where I live, my family are relatively easy-going.

Much like OP, I also went to a high school where Islam was pretty much the main religion, along with the city I live in. RE classes were always awkward for me even though I identified as a Muslim at that time. I think this is why I started questioning everything. Why did I feel so alienated with Islam each time we were taught about it?
    I finished my first year in college just 2 months ago and college was a lot more open. It's very diverse so there are students with different beliefs and I am comfortable in sharing that I am not a religious person if the topic ever arose but I do still feel a huge sense of guilt and pain about thinking of leaving the religion 100%. I'll never tell any family member, specifically not my parents. I really don't want to cause my mother any pain which I know she'll feel if I ever came out. It's better just pretending, but pretending is becoming a bigger burden than when I actually believed in the religion. My best friend is a believer and I know if I ever told her, we'd perhaps remain as close as we are but I don't think I could bear her questions: "Are you sure?" "Why don't you believe?" "Allah said....", and I wouldn't be angry at her for saying whatever she'd say but I don't want to insult her or her religion by giving reasons on not believing it. While I'm not a big fan of Islam, or any other religion for that matter, the people I know are good people so I have nothing against them.
    I don't know what decision OP will make/has made, but I know I will never come out and tell my parents this. I just can't help but feel very conflicted about all this, especially during Ramadan- a 'holy month'.
    I'm kind of thinking I'm feeling this terrible because maybe, just maybe, there is a God and he is unhappy about this. But i need to remember that I was not at my happiest while believing and hopefully this confusion and guilt is attributed to betraying my parents and nothing to do with the religion itself.
    I hope all turns out well for those also feeling this way.
    x Smiley

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #1 - July 05, 2014, 08:44 PM

I plan on moving out soon, though I need to secure a full time job before hand. I cant do that yet since im a senior in high school. Just don't know how Ill tell my parents that I'm planing to move out. In our culture, you don't leave your parents until going to a distant collage or marriage. Problem is the collage im going to after high school is just a few minutes away. So it wont be a valid enough excuse to move out. Ill have to make up another excuse to move out and it has to be pretty damn good if I ever want to live my life the way I want to.

If I cant do that my very last resort is to just pack up and leave without thier permission. I don't think they would physically try to stop me so it would probably work. But it wont grantee me a smooth departure. My mother would probably tell me to never come back and my father would probably have a heart attack. It would definitely not be a pretty sight.

I'm still young but it's also the same for me. A girl doesn't usually move out unless for marriage or a university that's far away. Going to a university far from home wouldn't be a good idea because the uni's nearby offer just as good, if not better, courses that I want to study. I don't think I'd be able to move away for this.

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke."
     Reply #2 - July 05, 2014, 09:14 PM

Welcome cestlavie. Parrot? parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - July 05, 2014, 09:18 PM

thnkyu

Reply #4 - July 05, 2014, 09:20 PM

Hi, I split this and have moved it to the Introductions section. Welcome to the forum  Smiley

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - July 06, 2014, 01:21 PM

Welcome, cestlavie!

:parrot

The future is full of thrilling possibilities.
     Reply #6 - July 06, 2014, 01:46 PM

Welcome
     Reply #7 - July 06, 2014, 01:48 PM

Welcome to the forum c'est la vie   Smiley
     parrot bunny
     Reply #8 - July 06, 2014, 01:54 PM

Welcome  parrot

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
     Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
     Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
     Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God." - Epicurus
     Reply #9 - July 06, 2014, 01:56 PM

Wow. I am almost LITERALLY in the same place. I'm also 16 (almost 17), from northern England, and while I'm not sure if I can call myself an "ex-muslim" (though I'm slowly getting closer to maybe admitting this to myself at some point), I'm having a hard time with expressing this. Only one close friend of mine knows about this as he is also in the same boat. However, I was born and raised in a Muslim Pakistani household and while my parents are not strict on the religion, I could still never even go as far as hinting my discontent at the religion. 'God' know what would happen.
    In fact, recently (around 15 minutes ago), I thought I'd confide in my brother by telling him I've been reading the english translation of the Quran, but once I told him that there are some things I don't agree on (I needed to get this off my chest), he said, "I don't want to say this, but you sounded like an Atheist. Don't only pick out the bad things and you want to make sure dad doesn't find out." While he wasn't harsh about it and we continued talking about whatever else afterwards, I'm glad I told him this even if it was a little bit because now I know for certain that I can't tell anyone this.
    My parents aren't harsh. I'm mostly able to do as I please; cut my hair, dye it, I exclusively wear 'Western' clothes, listen to music, go out with friends or to the theatre etc. They do sometimes ask when I'm going to start praying or randomly suggest I do so, but that topic isn't brought up too much and I understand that they feel it is their duty to remind me, so this isn't too much of a problem either. There are things my father says that I don't agree with, some to do with religion and some with culture but after getting very angry, I calm down after a while and ignore it. I'm used to it. But other than that, I guess compared to most families around where I live, my family are relatively easy-going.

Much like OP, I also went to a high school where Islam was pretty much the main religion, along with the city I live in. RE classes were always awkward for me even though I identified as a Muslim at that time. I think this is why I started questioning everything. Why did I feel so alienated with Islam each time we were taught about it?
    I finished my first year in college just 2 months ago and college was a lot more open. It's very diverse so there are students with different beliefs and I am comfortable in sharing that I am not a religious person if the topic ever arose but I do still feel a huge sense of guilt and pain about thinking of leaving the religion 100%. I'll never tell any family member, specifically not my parents. I really don't want to cause my mother any pain which I know she'll feel if I ever came out. It's better just pretending, but pretending is becoming a bigger burden than when I actually believed in the religion. My best friend is a believer and I know if I ever told her, we'd perhaps remain as close as we are but I don't think I could bear her questions: "Are you sure?" "Why don't you believe?" "Allah said....", and I wouldn't be angry at her for saying whatever she'd say but I don't want to insult her or her religion by giving reasons on not believing it. While I'm not a big fan of Islam, or any other religion for that matter, the people I know are good people so I have nothing against them.
    I don't know what decision OP will make/has made, but I know I will never come out and tell my parents this. I just can't help but feel very conflicted about all this, especially during Ramadan- a 'holy month'.
    I'm kind of thinking I'm feeling this terrible because maybe, just maybe, there is a God and he is unhappy about this. But i need to remember that I was not at my happiest while believing and hopefully this confusion and guilt is attributed to betraying my parents and nothing to do with the religion itself.
    I hope all turns out well for those also feeling this way.
    x Smiley

If there is a God, he could not ask more from you than you follow your conscience and be true to yourself and to do the best you can, and as much good as you can.

As for coming out this is my usual advice to youngsters - please forgive me for copying and pasting it:

My usual advice to youngsters is to keep things to yourself for now. Your views, thoughts, ideas may change/moderate. You certainly do not want to go around burning bridges or unnecessarily alienating loved ones & friends etc... (Bear in mind Muslims take this very personally) . Concentrate on studies. Be respectful and loving to parents. Wait until you are able to be independent and choose your own lifestyle. No need to upset your parents just to make a big show.
     Reply #10 - July 06, 2014, 03:54 PM

Welcome, cestlavie!

:parrot

Welcome to the forum c'est la vie   Smiley
     parrot bunny

Welcome  parrot

Thank you all!!
    And @Hassan, that's great advice:) I have decided to keep it to myself even if I have to pretend for a while as opposed to this becoming a big burden on my family.

Reply #11 - July 06, 2014, 05:14 PM

parrot

Hi!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #12 - July 07, 2014, 06:58 PM

Hi cestlavie, I also grew in up a fairly liberal Muslim household but leaving the religion outright was always seen as crossing the line. I assume you're still in school so it might be better to go along with things, at least until you enter university. Having some kind of escape valve like posting here or spending time away from family can also help... remember that you're not alone in facing problems with religion.

And Mr. Cumberbatch is smokin' hot Smiley
     Reply #13 - July 08, 2014, 03:09 PM

thank you so much:) I'm just considering to keep it quiet seeing as they're not hardcore practicing muslims so it's easy for me to pretend.

And isn't he just  Phwoar

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »