Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Fenugreek/Halba - how to eat/drink it?

(Read 10486 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Fenugreek/Halba - how to eat/drink it?
     OP - July 05, 2014, 04:10 PM

I want to eat/drink tea made on fenugreek (halba in Arabic), but couldn't find any recipe on what amount of seeds I should use for any particular amount of water. I don't want to grow them, I want to cook them and drink the tea/water.

Anyone have experience with halba, maybe our Middle Eastern sisters on the forum? I know it is widely used by Arab women.

Sorry if this post seems a little odd, I just hope google translate gave me the right English term for the Halba seed Smiley

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #1 - July 05, 2014, 05:56 PM

I want to eat/drink tea made on fenugreek (halba in Arabic), but couldn't find any recipe on what amount of seeds I should use for any particular amount of water. I don't want to grow them, I want to cook them and drink the tea/water.

Anyone have experience with halba, maybe our Middle Eastern sisters on the forum? I know it is widely used by Arab women.

Sorry if this post seems a little odd, I just hope google translate gave me the right English term for the Halba seed Smiley

Oh my goodness gracious....  You are making me hungry and made me to remember some one who used to feed me a dish that is madup of Fenugreek leaves..  anyways here

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds for each cup of tea
    1 cup of water for every teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
    Loose tea leaves and/or herbs (optional)

please read that link...

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - July 05, 2014, 06:07 PM

Thanks Yeez, my mother cooks the seeds for a long time and then bottles the water. I also knew a lady who did the same thing, and then ate the seeds after they had become soft. You think the seeds become "useless" (the nutrients and stuff in them evaporates or whatever) if they cook for a long time?

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #3 - July 05, 2014, 06:35 PM

...........my mother cooks the seeds for a long time and then bottles the water. I also knew a lady who did the same thing, and then ate the seeds after they had become soft.

really??  and what do you guys do with that water? make tea??

You think the seeds become "useless" (the nutrients and stuff in them evaporates or whatever) if they cook for a long time?

You mean boiling the seeds for a long time?? Some times they throw  those fresh dry seeds spices  in to oil frying pan and make some veg/non veg dishes..

but boiling seeds is an interesting technique for making tea.,..  Obviously that boiling water will extract most of those water soluble  organic chemicals from seeds ., but I think seeds after boiling in water still contain  quite a bit of organics that are not soluble in water..  And  they could as well be useful for some health purposes..

Well why not use the water and use the seeds after boiling them ??

Health Benefits of Fenugreek

Fenugreek seeds are used as a carminative, tonic and galactagogue. Fenugreek paste in water is used in poultices for boils, and abscesses. Fenugreek seeds when taken internally cures inflammation of intestinal tract. Fenugreek seeds contain important steroid ‘diosgenin’ which is used in preparation of contraceptives.

Fenugreek is extensively used in ayurvedic medicinal preparations for treating diabetes, sore throats, sores and abscesses. Medicinal properties of fenugreek are due to the presence of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds such as genistein, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, apigenin, selenium and superoxide-dismutase. Fenugreek is effective for curing cardiovascular diseases and reducing cholesterol. Fenugreek is rich in dietary fiber and hence used traditionally for reducing obesity. Fenugreek is effective in the prevention of Alzheimer's and other neuro-degenerative diseases. Fenugreek is advised for breast-feeding mothers for increasing breast milk production. Fenugreek paste is used as a shampoo for preventing hair fall.

I have not seen any proof on that., And I doubt they have that enzyme superoxide-dismutase. Moreover that is quite an unstable enzyme.. One has to be careful these guys write all sorts of stories on these spice plants..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #4 - July 05, 2014, 08:03 PM

We drink the water for health purposes, and eat the seeds so that we don't miss out on all the good stuff Smiley Just wondered if there is any recommended water-seed ratio when cooking it.

Reply #5 - July 05, 2014, 09:08 PM

We drink the water for health purposes, and eat the seeds so that we don't miss out on all the good stuff Smiley Just wondered if there is any recommended water-seed ratio when cooking it.

Really., eat the seeds?  I mean do you fry them like soy beans??  or eat plain after they come out of hot water??

well they are all saying a spoon of Fenugreek in a cup of water., I guess that  should be Ok., but we really don't know exact chemical constituents and their  amount and their effect on biology., So we just have to trust that age old experience of people..

Well every one reading this folder please share your mom's/grand mom's spice stories.

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #6 - July 05, 2014, 09:46 PM

That's what my friend used to do. It's not about making something delicious out of it, just an easy way of consuming it and benefiting from it. I'll try it for a month or two and see if it makes any difference

Reply #7 - August 23, 2014, 01:42 AM

Don't use the seeds. Use the leaves. Make Ghormeh Sabzi. Best stuff, ever.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #8 - April 17, 2015, 12:23 PM

Don't use the seeds. Use the leaves. Make Ghormeh Sabzi. Best stuff, ever.

Yammy  .. yammy  Ghormeh Sabzi.

Goo Cook it.. those who  don't like  meat balls add some other balls..

make your own balls.,  Be creative .. be a leader "BE MUHAMMAD"

So I read this  on food  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/23/butter-bad-saturated-fat-healthy-eating-industry  

and I am upset  ...... Bastards..

Reply #9 - April 17, 2015, 01:43 PM

who started this thread??    My goodness   i didn't know this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfreHsEOEHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_o9eJ1j3vA

http://gumtech.com/datafiles/~Fenugreek%20studies.pdf

http://www.thaoduocthegioi.com/cong-trinh-nghien-cuu/methi/therapeutic-applications-of-fenugreek.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Fenugreek+curry

ah HA! .....this is going to be  Fenugreek/Halba  week end

Reply #10 - April 18, 2015, 03:05 AM

Yammy  .. yammy  Ghormeh Sabzi.

(Clicky for piccy!)

Goo Cook it.. those who  don't like  meat balls add some other balls..

(Clicky for piccy!)..

make your own balls.,  Be creative .. be a leader "BE MUHAMMAD"

So I read this  on food  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/23/butter-bad-saturated-fat-healthy-eating-industry  

and I am upset  ...... Bastards..

Yeezevee, those round floating things in the stew are not meatballs. Those are limes. Dried limes. The meat used in ghormeh sabzi is not formed, but chunks of real meat, I don't know the name. A sort of stew meat, beef or lamb. Not ground up, but in cut pieces. I have never seen a round meat used in it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »