Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Poll on Religious beliefs Saudiarabia and Pakistan

(Read 5684 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Poll on Religious beliefs Saudiarabia and Pakistan
     OP - June 13, 2014, 11:54 PM

There was a global index of religiosity done by Win-Gallup, which made the news last year. On this index Saudiarabia and US, had the same level of convinced atheist. It says that 5% of the population of Saudiarabia are 'convinced atheists'. The figure for Pakistans is 2%, in other words 1 in 50, which would mean around 3.7 million. What do you make of this, skeptical or not.
    http://redcresearch.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/RED-C-press-release-Religion-and-Atheism-25-7-12.pdf
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/23/a-surprising-map-of-where-the-worlds-atheists-live/
     Reply #1 - June 14, 2014, 12:43 AM

I think it just goes to show how fucked those places are that virtually no one is aware of them. It highlights the oppressiveness of those societies.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - June 14, 2014, 09:33 AM

The questions is, who constitutes this 5%? Are they born and bred Sauid nationals? People who have worked in Saudi Arabia over a number of years? Are they ex-Muslims?

However, the results are very interesting in that it does highlight, as QSE mentions, the 'invisibility' of this group from mainstream knowledge.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #3 - June 14, 2014, 10:19 AM

The most generous estimations puts Sweden's "Muslim" population at 4%, around 350 000. Of these, I would say that at most, half are actual believing Muslims. Most Muslim organizations are run by the same "clique" which just shows how few they are... but despite this, Muslims demand concessions be made in rules and regulations for their beliefs and customs, they demand that "Muslim issues" be raised and that they ought to be represented in an official sense.

I wonder how these same people would react and say to know that 5 % of a "Muslim" population are atheists/non-believers. Should special concessions be made, perhaps abolish religious law and replace it with a secular one for all since there are other religious minorities? I think this highlights how utterly intolerant Islam is...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - June 14, 2014, 12:29 PM

Another thing you would have to take into account is the willingness of people who secretly don't believe to admit this to anyone regardless of promises on anonymity. We have  ex-Muslims in the west who for various reasons are reluctant to admit it , what chance those living in the belly of the beast would be forthcoming as to their real inner thoughts?
    I am pretty sure the numbers on those who know the whole thing is a con are far higher.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #5 - June 14, 2014, 12:40 PM

I always had the impression that even in Saudi and other Gulf countries, a large part of the population are either disinterested in religion or outright disbelievers. It's just they are too afraid to come out because of the ramifications such a decision would entail... death? being disowned? outcast? what else? =/

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - June 14, 2014, 01:03 PM

The questions is, who constitutes this 5%? Are they born and bred Sauid nationals? People who have worked in Saudi Arabia over a number of years? Are they ex-Muslims?

I thought about that too. The total amount of westerners is 0.37%. Then there is a large group of people from Afro-Asia who count for 10 % of the population. Some of the nationalities are Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Indians and Philippines. For instance, 3% of Indians answered convinced atheist in this poll and around 98% of Filipinos are either christian(93%) or muslim(5%), in other words, not the countries with the largest percentage of atheist. I would presume that the vast majority of those surveyed are Arabs, but Im not sure about the methodology which I haven't yet read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Philippines

Saudi arabia has in this poll, the largest atheist population as a percentage of the population in the surveyed muslim countries, which includes Turkey(2%) and Tunisia (0%).
     Reply #7 - June 14, 2014, 05:09 PM

The most generous estimations puts Sweden's "Muslim" population at 4%, around 350 000. Of these, I would say that at most, half are actual believing Muslims. Most Muslim organizations are run by the same "clique" which just shows how few they are... but despite this, Muslims demand concessions be made in rules and regulations for their beliefs and customs, they demand that "Muslim issues" be raised and that they ought to be represented in an official sense.

I wonder how these same people would react and say to know that 5 % of a "Muslim" population are atheists/non-believers. Should special concessions be made, perhaps abolish religious law and replace it with a secular one for all since there are other religious minorities? I think this highlights how utterly intolerant Islam is...

Those kind of organizations are in several of countries in Europe. They call for dialogue, but without honesty. There's absence of self criticism, but they ask the non-Muslim society to be selfcritical, and the only thing they know is scream islamophobia and play the victimcard. Even when religious muslims who don't believe in wife-beating and all kinds horrible things in Sharia criticize them, their only response is to call them bigot and uncle Toms.
     Reply #8 - August 12, 2014, 12:56 AM

I read somewhere that something like 40% of France's second generation "Muslims" are actually non-believers, i.e., apostates. Of course, all North African immigrants and their descendants are automatically included as Muslims when counting is done and this inflates the number of Muslims in the country. I've also been told by some Turks that the non-religious are probably 15-20% of Turkey but since everyone is registered as Muslim at birth and few can be bothered changing it, you get official stats that the country is 98% Muslim.
     Reply #9 - October 30, 2014, 11:22 PM

Significant decline between the years 2003-2011 on support for Sharia in Saudi Arabia on all surveyed age groups.

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_the_history_of_childhood_and_youth/v006/6.1.de-jong.pdf
     Reply #10 - October 31, 2014, 12:57 AM

Those kind of organizations are in several of countries in Europe. They call for dialogue, but without honesty. There's absence of self criticism, but they ask the non-Muslim society to be selfcritical, and the only thing they know is scream islamophobia and play the victimcard. Even when religious muslims who don't believe in wife-beating and all kinds horrible things in Sharia criticize them, their only response is to call them bigot and uncle Toms.

I am reminded of a quote from a Catholic Cardinal I read at one point:

"When we speak in those [these inter-faith dialogues], we tell them what a great and true religion Islam is and then they tell us what a great and true religion Islam is."
     Reply #11 - October 31, 2014, 04:21 AM

Actually, I have known some interfaith ordeals to be pretty positive and productive. Some focus less on affirming each other's religion, and more about discussing and celebrating where things overlap between them and talking about religious issues in the states here.

In my town, there was an event not too long ago that found us having a very public interfaith vigil, and it included speakers from the local Islamic center, and I may have been biased at the time, but I thought their speech was by far the most moving. It was a nice little service, in my opinion, and one of the instances where the particular people involved used that opportunity not for self-promotion but as an appeal to our humanity and as a show of solidarity.

That was short-lived, though. A Lutheran pastor who spoke during the vigil faced a huge backlash for having done so in the presence of all these dirty "other" religions and had to make a formal apology.
     Reply #12 - October 31, 2014, 07:34 AM

That is a shame. :(
  • Re: Poll on Religious beliefs Saudiarabia and Pakistan
     Reply #13 - October 31, 2014, 04:15 PM

I am reminded of a quote from a Catholic Cardinal I read at one point:

"When we speak in those [these inter-faith dialogues], we tell them what a great and true religion Islam is and then they tell us what a great and true religion Islam is."

Ha!
     Reply #14 - October 31, 2014, 05:38 PM

From speaking to people in Pakistan, 3-4 in 10 young people is atheist/agnostic. Islamic terrorism, which has killed over 50'000 civilians in Pakistan has led to a lot of young people to peruse throught islamic scriptures leading to their emancipation from islam. ISIS wills similarly get a global reaction from young muslims and will get millions to jettison islam.
     Reply #15 - October 31, 2014, 05:57 PM

Without those barbarian time travelers, there's a good chance I would've remained a devout muslim.

3-4 out of 10, how did you ask or did they just tell you?
     Reply #16 - November 01, 2014, 05:09 PM

The phenomenon of Saudi exmuslims is fascinating.  Imagine Saudi becoming majority non muslim; Masjid al-Haram under the control of apostates and children of apostates
     Reply #17 - November 01, 2014, 05:20 PM

Cheesy

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #18 - November 01, 2014, 06:01 PM

Serious suggestions to Saudi exmuslims:

1. The Kaaba needs new drapes

2. Change name of Saudi Arabia to Bilad al-Kuffar wal Murtadeen

3. Tawaf during hajj season will now be done with a nice hat...like this one

Reply #19 - November 01, 2014, 06:27 PM

Scratch that: You must wear a hat like that ^. You can however pick different colour on the ribbons.But only three colours should be permitted: red, blue and orange.
     Reply #20 - November 01, 2014, 08:00 PM

Reverting back to naked tawaf like in the good ol' days would just make it so much better.

Reply #21 - November 02, 2014, 04:18 PM

For those wondering what Cornflower's talking about: Prophet kept the tawaf(runnin' around the Kaaba), but banned the naked part.
    In the year prior to the last Hajj of the Prophet when Allahs Apostle made Abu Bakr the leader of the pilgrims, the latter (Abu Bakr) sent me in the company of a group of people to make a public announcement: 'No pagan is allowed to perform Hajj after this year, and no naked person is allowed to perform Tawaf of the Kaba.(Bukhari book 26, nr 689)

Reply #22 - November 02, 2014, 06:41 PM

Dammit! Naked circumambulation sounds soooo fun and funny!
     Reply #23 - November 02, 2014, 06:44 PM

Reverting back to naked tawaf like in the good ol' days would just make it so much better.

Naked with a tophat!
     Reply #24 - November 02, 2014, 07:00 PM

^that.would.be.AWESOME!!! Grin

Reply #25 - November 02, 2014, 07:09 PM

I know, nudist camp Makah with lashings of sunscreen!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »