Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Linked Events

• International CEMB Conference: October 10, 2008

Topic: International conference challenging Islam and political Islam

(Read 34703 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: International conference challenging Islam and political Islam
     Reply #90 - October 11, 2008, 09:29 AM

Did you go Jack?
     Reply #91 - October 11, 2008, 09:41 AM

Did you go Jack?

Nope, I go along with Hass's comment, people going blah blah blah all day long doesn't appeal. Instead I attended my own conference, which was huge success, despite the security scare as I attempted to rush through the metal detector. Fortunately I grabbed hold of me and detained me, so no harm done Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #92 - October 11, 2008, 11:07 AM

Did you go Jack?

Nope, I go along with Hass's comment, people going blah blah blah all day long doesn't appeal. Instead I attended my own conference, which was huge success, despite the security scare as I attempted to rush through the metal detector. Fortunately I grabbed hold of me and detained me, so no harm done Smiley

I was scared for a mintue. Good thing that you apprehended yourself or serious damage could have been done.
     Reply #93 - October 11, 2008, 11:26 AM

Did you go Jack?

I was scared for a mintue. Good thing that you apprehended yourself or serious damage could have been done.

For a moment, it looked like another 9/11 was on the cards. Thanks to a quit witted gun cop, me, the terrorist, also me, was shot dead. Can I just take this opportunity to thank me, and to again, utterly condemn those aspects of myself that wish to drag me back to 7th century Arabia.  Peace.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #94 - October 13, 2008, 01:16 PM

Personally I thought the conference was a real success!  dance
    I certainly got a lot of good feedback from everyone I spoke to.  Afro

Berbs - I never realised you were there! why didn't you make yourself known... I'm very upset you didn't come and say hello to me  Cry
     Reply #95 - October 13, 2008, 01:18 PM

Berbs - I never realised you were there! why didn't you make yourself known... I'm very upset you didn't come and say hello to me  Cry

I didn't know who was who  Cry or I would have come and said hello.

I only got to see Maryam quickly during the lunch queue.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #96 - October 13, 2008, 03:31 PM

Did you go Jack?

For a moment, it looked like another 9/11 was on the cards. Thanks to a quit witted gun cop, me, the terrorist, also me, was shot dead. Can I just take this opportunity to thank me, and to again, utterly condemn those aspects of myself that wish to drag me back to 7th century Arabia.  Peace.

Thank you. You deserve a medal for this. most people would run the other way but we know we can rely on you to save the world. I heard that once you took a 3 minute break from saving the world and an atomic bomb went off. Is it true?
     Reply #97 - October 13, 2008, 03:31 PM

I actually came up to you but you skanked me. Really bad.
     Reply #98 - October 13, 2008, 03:34 PM

you wasn't there, if so you can tell me what I was wearing.  Wink

Reply #99 - October 13, 2008, 03:35 PM

you wasn't there, if so you can tell me what I was wearing.  Wink

Clothes.  Afro
     Reply #100 - October 13, 2008, 03:36 PM

I see you're still hoping for next weeks jester title.  Wink

Reply #101 - October 13, 2008, 03:39 PM

I see you're still hoping for next weeks jester title.  Wink

Of course I am- if stating a fact can be seen as funny by majority of the forumers.
     Reply #102 - October 13, 2008, 05:17 PM

No worries...  but for your info I was the one with Zia Zaffar name badge  grin12
     Reply #103 - October 13, 2008, 05:33 PM

No worries...  but for your info I was the one with Zia Zaffar name badge  grin12

I was upstairs, my badge read BerberElla  Wink

Reply #104 - October 13, 2008, 08:42 PM

Next time you should try what a bunch of friends and I did one time at a big festival in Newcastle. We figured it would be hard to find each other after we split into two groups, so we made a deal that when we were looking for each other we'd make chicken noises. Loud ones. grin12

You get a lot of attention when a dozen of you are wandering around making chook noises. Never did find the other bunch though. We ended up meeting them back at home.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #105 - October 14, 2008, 07:09 PM

Hi Zia - I think even just being able to hold such an event is success in itself and thanks to you and Maryam and all those who pulled it off - Quite an historic achievement - well done to all Afro

Personally though, I came away feeling a little alienated. I got the feeling from the CEMB guys (I don't mean you of course - you were as pleasant and welcoming as ever)- the ones in the yellow jackets - that I wasn't really welcome there - particularly that one particular guy who seemed to want to interrogate me about the guy who I was sitting next to (as I said earlier it was Shahid who I met at Maryam's talk in Oxford, also - and Berbs knows him too!!)

Anyway, I think I will not be taking much part in future CEMB events - I certainly don't want to be part of something I don't feel welcome at.

Re the transfer of the domain - I haven't had time to phone them yet - been really busy - but hoe to phone them soon.

Take care Smiley
     Reply #106 - October 14, 2008, 07:20 PM

I have removed my joke just in case it is true. Smiley But feel free to 'insert' your own punchline  Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #107 - October 14, 2008, 09:33 PM

Hass, in any large bunch of people there will be some who are a bit funny. I have no idea what the life experiences of the people you're referring to have been like. Maybe they have reason to be paranoid. Maybe they were nervous. Maybe they're just twats. I don't know. There's no reason for you to feel intimidated by it though. If you have a problem with someone just politely but firmly ask them what the fuck's stuck up their arse (or something like that).

Reply #108 - October 14, 2008, 09:36 PM

If you have a problem with someone just politely but firmly ask them what the fuck's stuck up their arse (or something like that).

Excellent advice,  the best ice-breaker, ever!

Ha Ha.
     Reply #109 - October 14, 2008, 09:40 PM

Works for me. dance

Reply #110 - October 14, 2008, 10:45 PM

Sorry about my late input to this thread guys, my internet has been playing up.

So as Berbs and Hassan have mentioned… I was at this event. Smiley

I thought the event went really well and it was great to see such a distinguished panel.  I remember reading Ibn Warraq’s book “Leaving Islam – Apostates Speak Out” when I was on the verge of apostasy over 4 years ago, and it was so liberating to read testimonies of like-minded people who were brave enough to question and leave Islam.  I never would’ve thought that 4 years later I’d be at a ex-Muslim conference with Warraq on the on the panel.  It certainly has been a journey.

I had many opportunities to speak to some of the panellists while we were walking around during lunch, but I didn’t even strike up the courage to every say “Hello” to any of them!

It’s a shame that Taslima Nasreen wasn’t there though.  Does anyone know why she didn’t make it?

I arrived at about 11am so I missed some of the opening speeches, but I stayed right til the end so I got a chance to hear all of the panellists speak.

I’m already looking forward to the next event and I’m gonna try to be a bit more engaging and talkative instead of just sitting back and listening.

Reply #111 - October 14, 2008, 11:00 PM

It's interesting to hear that some of the stewards thought I was a spy!

Tbh, I don't blame the security for acting suspicious.  It's understandable that they were body searching everyone and just generally being vigilant, and I’m glad they were.  It’s early days yet.  There haven’t been many ex-Muslim conferences in the past so we should bear with them.

It took me a while to relax during the event.  I was a bit paranoid at the beginning, but within a couple of hours I was perfectly fine and willing to mingle.

This is the 2nd COEM event I’ve been to.  I went to another one in London last year.  I went to one in Oxford too where I met Hassan, but that was cancelled.

I wish I went to the meet-up on 5th July that Hassan was talking about.  We need to do one of those again because the atmosphere is more relaxed and you have more opportunity to talk to each other.

Reply #112 - October 15, 2008, 07:41 AM

I wish I went to the meet-up on 5th July that Hassan was talking about.  We need to do one of those again because the atmosphere is more relaxed and you have more opportunity to talk to each other.

Same here, I'm definately going to kill a granny to get to the next one.  Tongue

Reply #113 - October 15, 2008, 01:19 PM

Anyway, I think I will not be taking much part in future CEMB events - I certainly don't want to be part of something I don't feel welcome at.

Hass it was one guy, they looked at me strangely when I showed up too so don't think you are the only one who felt out of place, I really felt out of place because when I turned up neither you nor shahid were there lol

I felt alienated and I didn't feel like I fit in either but I know that this is just my nature.  You and I are both extremely sensitive to criticism, be it in the form of words or the manner someone deals with us in so I understand where you are coming from.

But I am sure you and I are both wrong and we were both welcome.  Don't let one mans attitude to you and shahid put you off joining in, come on Hass, you ARE going to the next thing if it means I have to club you over the head and drag you there myself. aloofandbored0

Reply #114 - October 15, 2008, 04:18 PM

Hass it was one guy, they looked at me strangely when I showed up too so don't think you are the only one who felt out of place, I really felt out of place because when I turned up neither you nor shahid were there lol

I felt alienated and I didn't feel like I fit in either but I know that this is just my nature.  You and I are both extremely sensitive to criticism, be it in the form of words or the manner someone deals with us in so I understand where you are coming from.

But I am sure you and I are both wrong and we were both welcome.  Don't let one mans attitude to you and shahid put you off joining in, come on Hass, you ARE going to the next thing if it means I have to club you over the head and drag you there myself. aloofandbored0

Well said Afro

Hass old bean, we have discussed the issue of baby and bathwater before I believe Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #115 - October 15, 2008, 04:29 PM

Well OK... since you put it that way... but you can still club me over the head and drag me there if you want lol... I have a vision of you dressed up like Jane Fonda in Barbarella, dragging me along on a wolf-skin sled as I eat grapes  grin12
     Reply #116 - October 15, 2008, 09:00 PM

Awesome. I'm in the queue for that one too. parrot

Reply #117 - October 18, 2008, 08:55 PM

For those of you who wish to see the day, you can watch the videos >>> here <<<.

I'm in the background for all of a blurry second lol  Tongue

Reply #118 - July 14, 2011, 12:49 PM

Bump. *oldest thread competition*
     Reply #119 - July 14, 2011, 03:10 PM

I already won this. Your efforts are futile.
  • Previous page 1 2 3 45 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »