Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Linked Events

• International CEMB Conference: October 10, 2008

Topic: International conference challenging Islam and political Islam

(Read 34721 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: International conference challenging Islam and political Islam
     Reply #60 - October 09, 2008, 11:46 PM

Fucking do it. If you can survive your marriage you can survive this conference. Just think of how much it'd piss off your ex. grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #61 - October 10, 2008, 01:22 AM

My social anxiety issues banghead  I'm excrutiatingly shy and awkward (yeah I know, I don't present that way, but I put on a good front online lol)  I get panic attacks if I become to stressed out by either the amount of people, or my crappy cognitive process the way it is set now.

I really really really want to go, but I have trouble leaving my house just to go to the shop somedays.  Usually in new and stressful situations my friend comes with me to help me feel safer and calm my fears as and when they arrive but she's working tomorrow plus this isn;t her cup of tea.

tried speeching my sister to come with me, but it's an international conference challenging islam and she doesn't want to go down that road.

So it's about plucking up the courage to face the new.

I honestly never used to be this way and couldn't bear the thought of being stuck indoors when there was so much out there in the real world to do, but I'm just not the same person after my marriage, I try really hard but I'm afraid.

So right now I am stressing, hence why I'm still awake because I am trying to convince myself that i can handle this.

Which would you regret more: going or not going?

Though it has no bridge,
    The cloud climbs up to heaven;
    It does not seek the aid
    Of Gautama's sutras.

- Ikkyu
     Reply #62 - October 10, 2008, 08:23 AM

Ok well im on the train making my where there. Dont forget my shiny medal os. Lol

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #63 - October 10, 2008, 08:32 AM

Here ya go. Cheesy

Reply #64 - October 10, 2008, 09:15 AM

I cant see it til i get back on a pc. Anyway i got lost trying to find a connecting bus. Im on the bus now. Im late bollocks

Reply #65 - October 10, 2008, 09:53 AM

This thing's today innit?

Have fun.  Cheesy
     Reply #66 - October 10, 2008, 10:03 AM

It had better be today or she's wasted a trip. grin12

Reply #67 - October 10, 2008, 10:06 AM

It had better be today or she's wasted a trip. grin12

Turning up on the wrong day would be funny.
     Reply #68 - October 10, 2008, 10:10 AM

Well at least there wouldn't be a crowd there to make her nervous.

Reply #69 - October 10, 2008, 10:12 AM

Well at least there wouldn't be a crowd there to make her nervous.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Id keep that to myself if it happened to me.
     Reply #70 - October 10, 2008, 12:40 PM

Gutted. Im on my way home to get back for the kids. So i missed out on seeing richard speaking plus Hassan is only just making his way there so i missed seeing him too lol saw shahid raza there. But pretty much missed out on the best stuff. Ah well

Reply #71 - October 10, 2008, 12:41 PM

Gutted. Im on my way home to get back for the kids. So i missed out on seeing richard speaking plus Hassan is only just making his way there so i missed seeing him too lol saw shahid raza there. But pretty much missed out on the best stuff. Ah well

Aka it sucked and I never should have gone.
     Reply #72 - October 10, 2008, 01:41 PM

No, I;m pleased I went, even if I missed out I still got see ehsan jami speak, ibn warraq, AC grayling, maryam namazie and a couple of others.

Plus I actually managed to go out alone to somewhere full of strangers which is a big step for me, and I feel better about it.  dance

Reply #73 - October 10, 2008, 01:45 PM

No, I;m pleased I went, even if I missed out I still got see ehsan jami speak, ibn warraq, AC grayling, maryam namazie and a couple of others.

Plus I actually managed to go out alone to somewhere full of strangers which is a big step for me, and I feel better about it.  dance

Congrats, Berbs! Am very happy to hear, you enjoyed yourself!  Afro
     Reply #74 - October 10, 2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks Dio  Smiley 

baby steps baby steps baby steps lol next time should be easier.  dance

Reply #75 - October 10, 2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks Dio  Smiley 

- and easier still the time after that!! Look, how far you´ve come already! Don´t worry about the way you think you still have to go - just keep moving, and you´ll get there! Wink
     Reply #76 - October 10, 2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks Dio  Smiley 

- and easier still the time after that!! Look, how far you´ve come already! Don´t worry about the way you think you still have to go - just keep moving, and you´ll get there! Wink

Well I will try lol but I wouldn't be me if I didn't stress out about it long before there is even a possibility or an inkling of something worth stressing over.  Cheesy

Reply #77 - October 10, 2008, 06:54 PM

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain is holding an international conference on 10 October - the International Day against the Death Penalty – entitled Challenging Islam and political Islam – to focus on several key questions, namely the problem with Sharia law, including for women's status, freedom of expression and the need for criticism of religion, as well as the separation of religion and the state.

I was dieing to attend this conference, but unfortunately British high commission closed his visa offices over all pakistan from 23rd sep to 8th oct 2008, due to bomb blast at islamabad hotel. so i couldn't make my travel to london.

Anyway my all best wishes are with CEMB and it's team.

awaiting for next such event

Ayaz Nizami
     Reply #78 - October 10, 2008, 07:14 PM

It was a great pleasure to see Shahid, who was as thoughtful and insightful as always and Zafar, who was as smiling and charming as ever. Sorry I missed you, Berbs :(

I enjoyed listening to Maryam and it was interesting to hear Ibn Warraq. The young guy sitting on the left of Maryam was brilliant, as was the old humanist guy on her right. Missed Dawkins - had to get back to the kids.

I was frustrated that I didn’t get the chance to put a question (Basically - How are the CEMB going to ensure that racists and bigots don’t derail the ex-Muslim cause?) - I came downstairs especially to give the question and the guy saw me waving my hand (as Maryam must have too) but I was ignored and then when I thought I would get my chance the mic was taken upstairs where I was at first.

I have to say that the CEMB guys (dressed as stewards in flourescent waistcoats) didn’t make me feel very welcome even though they all knew me from the meet-up in July. They seemed oddly suspicious and unfriendly towards me. Ronnie Miah (sp?) kept telling me to “Shhhh!” every time I tried to speak to him and a couple of the others seemed distinctly cold.

One of the CEMB guys who I knew from the meet-up in July started interrogating me about the guy I was sitting next to and chatting to (it was Shahid) and he insisted that that guy was not an ex-Muslim at all and appeared to insinuate he was a spy!!!! I thought that guy was a bit weird last time I met him - now I’m sure he is.

Anyway - glad I went - though it was strangely reminiscent of my days in left-wing student politics with lots of old hacks around and a feeling of being outside the elite inner circle who were 'more equal than others'. As an ex-Muslim it was strange to feel somewhat alienated at a gathering for ex-Muslims.

Oh well Smiley
     Reply #79 - October 10, 2008, 08:40 PM

Wow, how strange  wacko.

Anyway the whole bigotry attaching themselves to the ex muslim cause was actually talked about in the monring session when I was there.  I wouldn't say any definitive answer came from it but it was aksed by a member in the audience and the panel did stress by way of using Amrica as an example, that they did not wish to incite hatred or bigotry nor be seen to be associated with it.

the thing is Hass, what was it you were hoping they would say if you had managed to ask that question?  because no matter what plan they put into action, bigots and haters will continue to follow because this is just another way to be a xenophobe for them.

If you go on holiday even the best preperation to ward of mosquito bites will not prevent the mosquitoes from trying to bite you, and maybe even successfully having a nibble, this haters and bigots are mosquitoes Hass.  Just spray and ignore and get on with standing up for what you believe in.

I missed the comedy act too, I didn't meet anyone, I saw maryam for less than 30 seconds because she was in a hurry, and the men in yellow coats just looked like men in yellow coats lol  I can't believe they were suggesting that shahid wasn't an ex muslim, where the hell did that one come from?  Cheesy

Reply #80 - October 10, 2008, 08:47 PM

I can't believe they were suggesting that shahid wasn't an ex muslim, where the hell did that one come from?  Cheesy

It was just one of them, the slightly short, plump balding guy with glasses. He struck me as a pratt last time I met him too!  lol

Anyway - glad you made it there Berbs - I think just turning up is in itself a very positive statement.

Well done  Afro
     Reply #81 - October 10, 2008, 08:51 PM

Thanks Hass, just a shame we didn't get to meet up.  I kept checking to see if you had turned up too.  Smiley

I hope they have something more social again like the anniversary thing I missed because I would actually like to meet them properly.

Reply #82 - October 11, 2008, 07:47 AM

Well done for going Berberella, glad you enjoyed it.
    I would have loved to have gone but...same old story... couldnt get time off work.

It was just one of them, the slightly short, plump balding guy with glasses. He struck me as a pratt last time I met him too!  lol

Was he iranian? i seem to remember you arguing with someone of that description during the anniversary meeting.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #83 - October 11, 2008, 08:08 AM

Anybody out there know anything I don't?

I'll bet lots of people know something you don't know. Give us a list of everything you know and we'll be able to answer your question properly.

Whilst we wait, let's start compiling a list - do you, Sojourn, know how to fly a helicopter?

@Berbs - is it agorophobia you suffer from? And you never suffered from it before you were married? I know marriage has some nasty side effects, I never thought that was one of them though.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #84 - October 11, 2008, 08:28 AM

@Berbs - is it agorophobia you suffer from? And you never suffered from it before you were married? I know marriage has some nasty side effects, I never thought that was one of them though.

No, it's not agorophobia, which I believe is a fear of large open spaces.  I love large open spaces just as long as they are empty of people lol I have major social anxiety issues since my marriage.  Now I panic if there are too many people surrounding me, I don't feel safe around crowds.

I'm a hermit who doesn't want to be a hermit and never used to be a hermit.

I am enrolling at the college next week to start some courses in january and it will take me weeks of mental preperation and taking someone with me if possible before I will manage it through the gate, 2 years ago I went to the college to enrol and left in 5 minutes even though I had a friend with me who came all the way from luton to support me  Cheesy, because I panicked.

Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't even go to the shops because people are outisde  Roll Eyes

Anyway I'm working on it, that's why I went yesterday because I wanted to force myself to face a fear.  Bit by bit i reckon I will get there.  dance

Oh and the only reason I can handle gigs and festivals is because I'm usually quite off my head at the time.  Tongue

Reply #85 - October 11, 2008, 08:31 AM

Well done for going Berberella, glad you enjoyed it.
    I would have loved to have gone but...same old story... couldnt get time off work.

Was he iranian? i seem to remember you arguing with someone of that description during the anniversary meeting.

That's him! lol
     Reply #86 - October 11, 2008, 08:39 AM

Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't even go to the shops because people are outisde  Roll Eyes

I'm like that after too much smoking Smiley

I hope it improves, I'm sure it will.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #87 - October 11, 2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks Hass, just a shame we didn't get to meet up.  I kept checking to see if you had turned up too.  Smiley

I hope they have something more social again like the anniversary thing I missed because I would actually like to meet them properly.

Yes,. shame we didn't get to meet-up I was hoping to surprise you - I mean in the sense that you didn't know if I was going to be there lol Wink

And yes, the socail meet-up in July was much better - I have to say I don't find long days of loads of speeches terribly inspiring  grin12

But just having such a conference was a good thing and made a powerful statement for freedom  Afro
     Reply #88 - October 11, 2008, 08:58 AM

Two interesting incidents:

One was when a Muslim man and lady (in hijab) turned up  and I had already been let in but gone to get a cup of tea. The steward saw the Muslims and knew he had to body search them so said loudly and animatedly that he had to body search me - I think to show that he was doing it to everyone lol then he turned to them. Didn't watch what happened next coz I went upstairs.

Second two reporters from Al-Arabiya TV in Dubai came up to me and knew my name they said they met me about 12 years ago - must have been at Islamia School - we always had the Arab press there - and they wanted to interview me - I gave them my phone number - which the guy promptly tested to the annoyance of everyone in the hall.
     Reply #89 - October 11, 2008, 09:24 AM

Two interesting incidents:

One was when a Muslim man and lady (in hijab) turned up  and I had already been let in but gone to get a cup of tea. The steward saw the Muslims and knew he had to body search them so said loudly and animatedly that he had to body search me - I think to show that he was doing it to everyone lol then he turned to them. Didn't watch what happened next coz I went upstairs.

Second two reporters from Al-Arabiya TV in Dubai came up to me and knew my name they said they met me about 12 years ago - must have been at Islamia School - we always had the Arab press there - and they wanted to interview me - I gave them my phone number - which the guy promptly tested to the annoyance of everyone in the hall.

And the two interesting incidents were? piggy

Ha Ha.
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »