Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Linked Events

• International CEMB Conference: October 10, 2008

Topic: International conference challenging Islam and political Islam

(Read 34722 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • International conference challenging Islam and political Islam
     OP - June 02, 2008, 11:50 PM

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain is holding an international conference on 10 October - the International Day against the Death Penalty – entitled Challenging Islam and political Islam – to focus on several key questions, namely the problem with Sharia law, including for women's status, freedom of expression and the need for criticism of religion, as well as the separation of religion and the state.

• Re: International conference challenging Islam and political Islam
     Reply #1 - June 03, 2008, 08:41 AM

Cool. I'll put this one in the CEMB sub-forum. You're allowed to post CEMB events there.  Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - June 03, 2008, 09:41 AM

Sorry!

I was trying to post it in the calendar section. Thanks for moving it to the right place.
     Reply #3 - July 10, 2008, 09:18 AM

More info from Maryam and co:

Hi

It was great meeting some of you at the July 5 anniversary celebration. I think everyone who attended was really glad they did. If you haven't seen it yet, here is a short programme on it with some interviews on the CEMB's work and plans for the future.

The reason I am writing though is to remind you to hold the October 10 date in your diaries from now. It's our next big event and will be the first all day international conference of ex-Muslims in London, Conway Hall. We have chosen 10 October - the International Day against the Death Penalty - because apostasy is punishable by death under Islamic laws and a large part of our work is breaking the taboo that comes with leaving Islam.

This conference - Challenging Islam and political Islam - will focus on several key questions, namely the problem with Sharia law, including for women’s status, freedom of expression and the need for criticism of religion, as well as the separation of religion and the state. We will have testimonials from atheist ex-Muslim members (tell me if you are interested in doing this too) and all the heads of ex-Muslim councils across Europe will be there - including Mina Ahadi and Ehsan Jami from the Netherlands. So far Richard Dawkins, Hanne Stinson (head of British Humanist Association), Terry Sanderson (President of the National Secular Society), AC Grayling, Johann Hari (columnist), Joan Smith (columnist and rights activist), Roy Brown (former president of the International Humanist and Ethical Union), Ibn Warraq, Maryam Namazie, Fariborz Pooya (head of Iranian secular society) and Bahram Soroush (founding member of CEMB) are confirmed speakers. We will be publishing a flyer on it soon once we get a final list of speakers and topics together.

We also want to have some good entertainment there so if you know of any atheist comedians or artists who are known for criticising religion and have some contact information for them, let us know (or if you yourself are willing to provide such acts and works). Also if you'd like to help out with the conference or have any suggestions for making it better, just let us know.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Maryam

• International conference challenging Islam and political Islam
     Reply #4 - July 10, 2008, 12:02 PM

Afro

I saw you on video Maryam. You're so cute. I meant that in an adult manner.  grin12

I would love to be at the next conference! Hopefully, my new life will bring me there. My topic of discussion is the ''shahada'' or declaration of faith'' that is taken far too lightly.

I won't mention what Islamtic institute took mine 1000 years ago, but they should be ashamed for their actions. Then, they use you as one of their famous American former Christians for You Tube exclusives.

Enough bragging. Do some ''stats'' on those who leave. I could name 20 I know off the top of my head, and many who sign the paper ''albeit deceptively'' due to marriages to Muslims knowing their ''rights'' (NON rights) to inheritance, child custody, etc, etc.

I can guarantee you, IF they wrote a contract stating the punishment for Apostacy on line numero uno of the contract----the word convert and revert would cease to exist in the ''largest growing religion'' statistics they share oh- so- frequently.

In the end, when you finally realize the act of deception through ''omission of facts'' it's too late. I, for one, am angry about this. Off my soapbox....

And, I give up trying to take my darn ''bold'' off the fonts...

''When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.''
     Reply #5 - July 10, 2008, 12:29 PM

Afro

I saw you on video Maryam. You're so cute. I meant that in an adult manner.  grin12

I would love to be at the next conference! Hopefully, my new life will bring me there. My topic of discussion is the ''shahada'' or declaration of faith'' that is taken far too lightly.

I won't mention what Islamtic institute took mine 1000 years ago, but they should be ashamed for their actions. Then, they use you as one of their famous American former Christians for You Tube exclusives.

Enough bragging. Do some ''stats'' on those who leave. I could name 20 I know off the top of my head, and many who sign the paper ''albeit deceptively'' due to marriages to Muslims knowing their ''rights'' (NON rights) to inheritance, child custody, etc, etc.

I can guarantee you, IF they wrote a contract stating the punishment for Apostacy on line numero uno of the contract----the word convert and revert would cease to exist in the ''largest growing religion'' statistics they share oh- so- frequently.

In the end, when you finally realize the act of deception through ''omission of facts'' it's too late. I, for one, am angry about this. Off my soapbox....

You mean like that? Grin

You had two opening tags bracketing your "IF". The software reads that as bolding everything after the tag. The closing tag has a forward slash in front of the b. Try viewing this post in quote and you'll see what I mean.

Reply #6 - July 10, 2008, 12:52 PM

Afro

Hi DivineMercy,
                               I'm finally over the oxymoronic nature of your UN, or have I missed something and it's intentional?
    Anyway, down to business: it would be even more interesting to know whether Atheism might in fact be fastest growing
    persuasion (I won't call it 'belief'). Anybody out there know anything I don't?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #7 - July 10, 2008, 01:00 PM

Anybody out there know anything I don't?

I'll bet lots of people know something you don't know. Give us a list of everything you know and we'll be able to answer your question properly.

Reply #8 - July 10, 2008, 01:56 PM

Hi DivineMercy,
                               I'm finally over the oxymoronic nature of your UN, or have I missed something and it's intentional?
    Anyway, down to business: it would be even more interesting to know whether Atheism might in fact be fastest growing

Hi Sojourn, and you're not in introductions, so am not sure how to approach you. Oxymorons, perhaps, but actually that is all fact I stated in the above based on my personal experience with Islam, and other religions (including Christians) who love to brag of converts.

IMHO since I do keep up on religious news is, there are more people either becoming athiests, or agnostic. More of a spirtual awakening in the past 10 years. I am not biased either, I am a practicing Catholic.

Questions?

''When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.''
     Reply #9 - July 10, 2008, 04:57 PM

Hi DivineMercy,

Hi Sojourn, and you're not in introductions, so am not sure how to approach you. Oxymorons, perhaps, but actually that is all fact I stated in the above based on my personal experience with Islam, and other religions (including Christians) who love to brag of converts.

IMHO since I do keep up on religious news is, there are more people either becoming athiests, or agnostic. More of a spirtual awakening in the past 10 years. I am not biased either, I am a practicing Catholic.

Questions?

Well I was an atheist before.
    I have found something on the net which changed my stance. I see a rational way of looking at spirituality now. check this www.maharajnisargadatta.com/I_Am_That.pdf
    Discard it if you think I am preaching any religion. This is a good read for passing time for me. It makes me ask rational questions.

Reply #10 - July 11, 2008, 10:26 PM

Huh. AC Grayling will speak at the Political Islam conference? Folks, I am THERE!

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #11 - July 11, 2008, 11:45 PM

Afro

Are saying that you are one of these people? If someone is using video of you convert in an effort to brag or proselytize, have you asked them to stop since you're not Muslim anymore?

Though it has no bridge,
    The cloud climbs up to heaven;
    It does not seek the aid
    Of Gautama's sutras.

- Ikkyu
     Reply #12 - July 14, 2008, 03:18 PM

I'm gonna be there!

Btw was there recently a meet/conference of CoEM? This is the first time I've been away from the site for around a month or so, and I damned missed it!
     Reply #13 - July 15, 2008, 02:09 AM

ROFL. They're already planning the next party. Burbles will be doing Moroccan dancing on the tables. Leashes and muzzles will be available at the door. dance

Reply #14 - July 15, 2008, 06:55 PM

Huh. AC Grayling will speak at the Political Islam conference? Folks, I am THERE!

Yes, AC Grayling, the great ex Muslim! LOL
     Reply #15 - July 16, 2008, 09:28 PM

I want to get my copies of his books signed by him, lol! I think I’ll take his Against All Religions book with me. Small enough to carry around yet with the weight of knowledge and lucidly stated arguments within it. Mmmmm. Tasty. He also (though I won’t ever do this to him!) has one of the most punchable looking faces I’ve seen on a person.

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #16 - July 21, 2008, 05:09 PM

Anybody out there know anything I don't?

I'll bet lots of people know something you don't know. Give us a list of everything you know and we'll be able to answer your question properly.

Sorry Os, I can't list everything I know; I'm too old and I've an enquiring sort of mind. But--- ask me anything, anything at all and I'll have a good stab at it.

Reply #17 - July 21, 2008, 06:41 PM

Hi DivineMercy,

Questions?

Hi Divine, (and everyone else who took the trouble to answer since I've been on holiday-- oops vacation!)

Intros are in order now that I've had a chance to see that this is a serious forum: I'm a Brit. of Greek , Sicilian, English origin. I'm a qualified Engineer, Zooligist, Fisheries Biologist, coastal manager and have worked in all fields. I like to keep life interesting since I won't pass this way, or any other, again.

Lately I've become a qualified ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) teacher have been teaching fascinating people from the proverbial 4 corners for the past 3 years. I don't push an Atheist agendum since that would set up barriers, but if anyone tries to force their own on a class, it's a gentle thing to do to urge moderation in the pursuit of a post-prandial nap  for the rest of us.
    It's a real challenge trying to teach pronunciation to anyone wearing a full veil of any kind when you can't see what shapes their mouths are making. Makes for some interesting and occasionally amusing outcomes.
    Science has opened up the world to us in leaps and bounds in the last 40 years or so and of particular importance is not just Plate Tektonics or Genetics but the way in which they link up with Natural Selection to  give us an integrated view of the natural processes that drive everything that happens on the globe.
    Unfortunately, for anyone starting on the rocky road to disbelief, it takes at least, say, 10 years of self education to get a good grasp of it all.
    So I can understand how, for someone who is casting around for an alternative  explanation to Life, The Universe and All That, how it might be easier to try a seemingly different belief system. It''s beguiling to seek authority if that's what you're used to but kind of scary to set off on a voyage of discovery on your own, unaided. The younger you start the better but the references I've given earlier will certainly help to shorten that voyage.
    you might try Googling 'Journey of Mankind- The peopling of the world' as well as Aubrey Manning's 'Earth Story' which I keep mentioning because it makes Earth History so accessible.
    So, I've been an Atheist and Humanist for nigh on 47 years, give or take, but I'm married to a spiritualist, have a Hindu brother, Anglican other siblings and a Catholic mother.
    Hope that answers some of your questions.

Reply #18 - July 21, 2008, 07:30 PM

Hi DivineMercy,

Questions?

Well I was an atheist before.
    I have found something on the net which changed my stance. I see a rational way of looking at spirituality now. check this www.maharajnisargadatta.com/I_Am_That.pdf
    Discard it if you think I am preaching any religion. This is a good read for passing time for me. It makes me ask rational questions.

Hi Hemanth, Re: I AM THAT, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj:
     As a writer (part-time) of fiction, I can see that this is really good stuff. I like the way it starts by clobbering/trashing the opposition and then moves on to bulling up it's own sources and authenticity and mentions 'The Truth' in relation to itself and then ( dare I say, bullshit baffles brains) introduces some form of 'profound' psychobabble, acres and hectares of it, square miles of it even.
    I get much more of a sense of awe and wonder about real things, such as 'the oldest object on Earth is 4.7 billion years old,; the oldest rocks of terrestrial origin discovered so far are 4.3 billion years old; the only evidence we have of early  life on Earth  suggests that it started 1 billion years after the Earth first condensed out of the emerging solar system; there seems to have been only single-cellular life for the first 1 billion years or so; that all life goes back to those organisms; that Hydro-Carbon based life forms would not exist at all if the Earth's temperature deviated up or down by a few degrees making liquid water unavailable to support it; That genetic variability is mandatory if organisms are to adapt , by Natural selection, and evolve to meet changing conditions.
     I could go on but the wonder of it for me is that the time scale is staggeringly out of reach of all religions, even the origins of primate life are too.
    The mind blowing idea that any female of our species carries all of the eggs she will ovulate during her lifetime in her own womb, when she herself is still in the womb, is the nearest that any of us gets to reincarnation is more than enough off an explanation for me, without having to invent myths about it.
    Speaking of which: Try reading Joseph Campbell's 'The Hero With a Thousand Faces' and find out how myths are perpetuated throughout the generations of man. The current myths concern the Catholic notion of miracles and saints and serve to distinguish enlightenment thinking from belief.
    But thanks anyway, it's a good read off it's genre.

Reply #19 - July 21, 2008, 09:48 PM

Cool intro. Love a bit of science myself, even though my interest is purely non-professional. It is utterly fascinating though. Which reminds me: I must get that digital subscription to New Scientist. You may not have noticed yet but they're linked in our RSS feed on the front page. Wink

Reply #20 - July 31, 2008, 11:21 AM

Hi everyone

Just to give you the latest update on the conference.

The Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain presents its first international conference:

Political Islam, Sharia Law, And Civil Society

Friday 10 October 2008 International day against the Death Penalty

10am-6pm (Registration begins at 9am)

Conway Hall London 25 Red Lion Square WC1R 4RL (Closest station: Holborn)

Speakers:
    Mina Ahadi     Mahin Alipour     Roy Brown     Andrew Copson     Richard Dawkins        Giles Enders     AC Grayling     Johann Hari     Ehsan Jami     Houzan Mahmoud     Rony Miah     Maryam Namazie     Taslima Nasreen     Fariborz Pooya     Terry Sanderson     Joan Smith      Bahram Soroush     Hanne Stinson     Hamid Taqvaee     Ibn Warraq     Keith Porteous Wood     Zia Zaffar

Event includes a comedy act by Nick Doody, Fitna Remade by Reza Moradi and Breaking the Taboo by Patty Debonitas.

£40 statutory organisations/businesses; £20 voluntary sector; £10 individuals. Donations are welcome.

For a booking form, please contact:
    Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain, BM Box 1919, London WC1N 3XX, UK
    Tel: 07719166731, E-mail: exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com or download it here: http://www.ex-muslim.org.uk/indexEvents.html.

Hope to see you there!
     Reply #21 - August 28, 2008, 02:36 PM

Who's thinking of going to this? I probably will be
     Reply #22 - August 28, 2008, 02:39 PM

I can't go, it's the same day as my final court hearing.   finmad

Hope it gets a good turn out though, there are quite a few speakers i definately want to see at some stage in the future.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #23 - September 12, 2008, 10:40 PM

There are loads of speakers I wanna see, namely Richard Dawkins, Taslima Nasreen, and Ibn Warraq.

Hope this event goes well.

Reply #24 - October 06, 2008, 10:30 AM

So is anyone going to this thing?

I'm undecided because of my social anxiety  Roll Eyes, intially I thought I would be busy on that day but I'm not so I might go, then again I might not.  People might see me  mysmilie_977

Reply #25 - October 06, 2008, 10:32 AM

So is anyone going to this thing?

I'm undecided because of my social anxiety  Roll Eyes, intially I thought I would be busy on that day but I'm not so I might go, then again I might not.  People might see me  mysmilie_977

Allow it. Life is too short.
     Reply #26 - October 06, 2008, 10:32 AM

People might see me  mysmilie_977

Wear a burqa.

Reply #27 - October 06, 2008, 10:33 AM

Allow it = meaning don't bother?  wacko

Reply #28 - October 06, 2008, 10:35 AM

Allow it = meaning don't bother?  wacko

Yes bredrin
     Reply #29 - October 06, 2008, 10:35 AM

People might see me  mysmilie_977

Wear a burqa.

Good lord no vomit never again, not for any reason.

Anyway if I am paranoid that people are staring at me most of the time, would it be any better with everyone staring at me even more for wearing a burka to an ex muslim thing?  or extra suspicion from the security who might overly frisk me...........which might be fun.  Cheesy

• 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »