Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Liberal professor of Islam shot dead in Pakistan

(Read 1442 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Liberal professor of Islam shot dead in Pakistan
     OP - September 18, 2014, 11:33 AM

Liberal professor of Islam shot dead in Pakistan

Karachi students protest over killing of Mohammad Shakil Auj, who was known for his liberal views and was in legal dispute

A professor of Islam known for his liberal religious views has been shot dead in the Pakistani port city of Karachi.

Mohammad Shakil Auj, 54, dean of Islamic Studies at the University of Karachi, was on his way to an Iranian cultural centre to which he had been invited as a guest of honour.

His car was being driven down a ramp from a flyover when "bullets were fired, one hit the professor in the head and he died", senior police officer Pir Mohammad Shah said. Another bullet struck Auj's junior colleague – whom police named only as Amna – in the arm, wounding her.

Auj, a recipient of a presidential medal of distinction, was known for his unorthodox views and was fighting a court case against his predecessor whom he had accused of circulating a text message that called him an apostate.

The professor issued fatwas pronouncing, for example, that a Muslim woman could marry a non-Muslim man, and that women need not remove lipstick or nail polish before saying their prayers.

Such views can cause offence to some conservative Muslims in Pakistan, which has been battling a homegrown Islamist insurgency for more than 10 years.

"We would tell him to be cautious as he was very aggressive in promoting his liberal views regarding the religion," said Prof Tauseef Ahmed Khan, an old friend and chairman of the mass communications department of the Federal Urdu University.

A police spokesman said: "Police are investigating the case, considering various aspects including personal enmity and other possible motives."

University students held a protest inside the campus demanding the arrest of Auj's killers. They held placards that read "The murders of teachers is a murder of the whole society" and "Security should be provided to the teachers". The university will remain closed for three days of mourning.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/18/liberal-professor-islam-shot-dead-pakistan-karachi?CMP=twt_gu
     Reply #1 - September 18, 2014, 12:00 PM

well He was a great guy  let me put his picture and a link to  video here. Click the picture to see him speak

Dean of KU Islamic Studies department shot dead News from Land of pure

KARACHI: Dean of Islamic Studies Faculty at the University of Karachi Dr Shakeel Auj was shot dead by unknown assailants on Thursday. His vehicle was fired at following which he was taken to the Aga Khan University Hospital where an official said Dr Auj was dead on arrival and that his family members were present at the hospital.

Dr Auj was shot three times in the neck and chest. He was heading to attend an event by Iranian consulate with a fellow professor Tahir Maqsood. His body has been taken to Jinnah Hospital for autopsy. The incident took place in Karachi's Gulshan-i-Iqbal Town near the Baitul Mukarram mosque and police and Rangers personnel reached the site soon after.

SSP Pir Mohammad Shah told BBCUrdu that a madrassah in Karachi had issued a fatwa relating to alleged blasphemy against Dr Auj. The SSP added that following the fatwa, a message declaring the professor as 'wajibul qatl' (liable to be killed) was made public via SMS messages

......Dr Mohammad Shakeel Auj was an author, a professor and dean at Karachi University’s faculty of Islamic Studies. He also used to edit Al-Tafseer — an HEC-recognised research journal on Islamic Studies. He has been associated with KU for 19 years and had been heading the Islamic Studies department since February 1, 2012. According to the university's website, Dr Auj has written 15 books.

well I can assure the readers even well educated and good  people  like Dr Mohammad Shakeel Auj DID NOT READ QURAN CAREFULLY AND DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ISLAM.,  Islamic history.,  its origins and reasons for its origins.

well that is a different story but let me see whether I could get something what Dr Auj has written..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - September 18, 2014, 12:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUEmp6NANo

that is a news clip from Pakistan on his murder..

Dr. Auja's Islamic publications..

Difference between Traditional and Quranic Halala by Dr. Muhammad Shakil Auj..

]Problems of Marriage of widows by Dr. Muhammad Shakil Auj.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »