Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How do we choose what is appropriate for women to wear?

(Read 43508 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How do we choose what is appropriate for women to wear?
     Reply #30 - March 30, 2014, 11:09 PM

What makes you think cheap hookers walk around in tailor-made leather catsuits?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - March 30, 2014, 11:11 PM

I don't know if it really means that but to me if you're dressing like a cheap hooker/gigolo you look like you don't respect yourself, just if you're using those hiphop clothes like that:

I'm thinking that if you voluntarily use clothes that make you look really bad and weird there's a chance you don't respect yourself. I'm not saying I have pricy clothes or Hugo Boss suit when I go to buy milk but I think looking good is respectful towards yourself and to others.

Yeah, you definitely have a problem. And since I find the sentiment you're expressing here to be utterly repugnant and I can already feel myself getting pissed off with you, I'll leave it to someone more diplomatic to disabuse you of it.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #32 - March 30, 2014, 11:13 PM

I want to mention that in Finnish we have two words that mean different but are translated to self-respect in English.
    Other is itsetunto and other is itsekunnioitus. Itsetunto means how confident you are, how do you view yourself and so-on. Itsekunnioitus on the other hand is how you carry yourself. If you go around screaming: "I like poop, I like pee", you probably lack self-respect/itsekunnioitus. You might be confident and all which is included in the definition of self-respect in English but if you make yourself look like a tool, you don't respect your imago enough.

I'm willing to change my views ofc. I try to answer tomorrow. Now it's too late.

I ask many stupid questions frequently.
    I am curious, that's why I ask many questions.
    I am overly curious, that's why I ask stupid questions.
    I lack patience, that's why I ask frequently.
    So forgive me and answer me Smiley
     Reply #33 - March 30, 2014, 11:19 PM

What makes you think cheap hookers walk around in tailor-made leather catsuits?

Did I say that or imply that?
    (Nope) I said that if you walk around like that in the streets, you're probably not respecting your image and yourself enough.
    I try not to judge people by their clothes (even though I would be negatively shocked if everyone would dress like Nicki Minaj with green hair, pink suit etc.) but as I know that many people are very fast at making fun of others and to really deeply judge others the way they look, I wish some people would have little bit more respect for themselves. I know from experience that many people bully you if you dress like a weirdo as I was bullied because I had old and small, unfitting clothes. I cannot imagine how much crap really weird dressing people get. I don't wish that for anyone.

Reply #34 - March 30, 2014, 11:21 PM

So your objection to that woman wearing her tailor-made leather catsuit is based solely on a selfless concern for her emotional welfare.

Ok.

Reply #35 - March 30, 2014, 11:24 PM

Yeah, you definitely have a problem. And since I find the sentiment you're expressing here to be utterly repugnant and I can already feel myself getting pissed off with you, I'll leave it to someone more diplomatic to disabuse you of it.

I'm sorry for offending. Though I just don't know how you find that repugnant. I said that if you look like cheap hooker/gigolo, you're probably not respecting yourself as you voluntarily make yourself look quite bad. If I was going around in Superman suit I wouldn't respect myself. I might be confident but I would also voluntarily make myself look bad.
    I got caught in here, now I have to sleep. Sorry for offending!

Reply #36 - March 30, 2014, 11:26 PM

Says a person looks like a cheap hooker with no self respect.

Has the nerve to complain about judging people based on appearance.

Fucking lol.

Reply #37 - March 30, 2014, 11:30 PM

many people are very fast at making fun of others and to really deeply judge others the way they look

Yeah, you're one of them.

Reply #38 - March 30, 2014, 11:32 PM

I know from experience that many people bully you if you dress like a weirdo as I was bullied because I had old and small, unfitting clothes. I cannot imagine how much crap really weird dressing people get. I don't wish that for anyone.

So if you want to have your own style, you are a weirdo?

Anyway, your post reminds me of a story. I know it doesn't have to do anything with clothing, but it's worth a read.

The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey

Aesop
    A man and his son were once going with their donkey to market. As they were walking along by his side a countryman passed them and said, "You fools, what is a donkey for but to ride upon?" So the man put the boy on the donkey, and they went on their way.
    But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said, "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."
    So the man ordered his boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other, "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."
    Well, the man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his boy up before him on the donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passersby began to jeer and point at them. The man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at.
    The men said, "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours -- you and your hulking son?"
    The man and boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, until at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them until they came to a bridge, when the donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the donkey fell over the bridge, and his forefeet being tied together, he was drowned.
    Try to please everyone, and you will please no one.

Reply #39 - March 30, 2014, 11:45 PM

Was too hard to go away yet after seeing that comment.

So, I judge people based on appearance (like majority). I try not to, like I said.
    I also want people to look good. For both the pleasure of my eye and eyes of others and for [them] not getting bullied.
    What's problematic with me saying "cheap hooker"? It's not really that offensive if you actually look like cheap hooker besides the fact that I clearly made mistake using word hooker instead of prostitute. Happily it wasn't directed at any specific person because then I would have erred even worse. Now, someone looking like cheap prostitute is not anything special kind of diss. I've seen cheap prostitutes (actual prostitutes, for example in Estonia) and sometimes I see women dressing similarly to them. What's special about saying them looking like prostitutes when I don't direct it at any specific person? I have not seen gigolos in my real life but I've seen them in pictures and I see some men dressing like gigolos. Is it that bad to say that they dress like gigolos if I don't refer to specific person?
    Also I think outward appearance shows much of our being. If I see guy smiling, with great posture and just moving like butterfly, I think he's happy. If I see person going to some gym to workout with 2000€ Rolex, five real gold chains, earrings with real diamonds and 700€ customized sneakers, it looks like he's trying to bring his riches little bit too much at our view. Similarly, if you try to look like prostitute or really weird with Superman suit or something of similar kind, you probably don't really respect yourself enough.

Reply #40 - March 30, 2014, 11:46 PM

The important point is that if you're going to carry a bound donkey around, you shoud not do it while wearing a tailor-made leather catsuit. People might think you're kinky.

Reply #41 - March 30, 2014, 11:49 PM

I think you have this all completely backwards.
    The women I have known who are ashamed of themselves, lack confidence, have zero self respect, are those who are dressed to disappear. They wear sacks, and rarely get their voices to an audible level. Christian, Muslim, whatever. No skin, no form showing, at all, if they can help it.
    The confident women, who have standards of how they want to be treated, who take care of themselves, often wear less "modest" clothing. They do not hide.
    This is personal observation.
    What a woman wants to wear has nothing to do with your judgements. They decide appropriate clothing, and there are some functions where you should not wear some things, like torn jeans to the opera. Well, that depends on the opera and the country, I suppose.
    But claiming a woman who reveals her form or her skin does so out of a lack of self respect is a mistake. Some women, no matter what they wear, cannot hide their "attributes". The lack of respect occurs, usually, in those doing the judging, not the one wearing the clothing that you criticize.
    This is one thing I am grateful to have left behind with Islam, this prejudice in Islamic culture about something so unimportant, as clothing. Profoundly grateful.
    Search the Modesty Doctrine for details on religion and modesty rules, and how it makes women responsible for men, and men not responsible at all.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #42 - March 30, 2014, 11:50 PM

So, I judge people based on appearance (like majority). I try not to, like I said.
    I also want people to look good. For both the pleasure of my eye and eyes of others and for [them] not getting bullied.
    What's problematic with me saying "cheap hooker"? It's not really that offensive if you actually look like cheap hooker besides the fact that I clearly made mistake using word hooker instead of prostitute. Happily it wasn't directed at any specific person because then I would have erred even worse.

It was directed at a specific person, namely this woman:

Also, if the term "cheap hooker" is not intended to be offensive, why did you use it to indicate disapproval?

Similarly, if you try to look like prostitute or really weird with Superman suit or something of similar kind, you probably don't really respect yourself enough.

Ok, so let me get this straight. If a woman flaunts her sexuality, she must be trying to look like a prostitute?

Reply #43 - March 30, 2014, 11:51 PM

What's problematic with me saying "cheap hooker"? It's not really that offensive if you actually look like cheap hooker besides the fact that I clearly made mistake using word hooker instead of prostitute. Happily it wasn't directed at any specific person because then I would have erred even worse. Now, someone looking like cheap prostitute is not anything special kind of diss. I've seen cheap prostitutes (actual prostitutes, for example in Estonia) and sometimes I see women dressing similarly to them. What's special about saying them looking like prostitutes when I don't direct it at any specific person? I have not seen gigolos in my real life but I've seen them in pictures and I see some men dressing like gigolos. Is it that bad to say that they dress like gigolos if I don't refer to specific person?
    Also I think outward appearance shows much of our being. If I see guy smiling, with great posture and just moving like butterfly, I think he's happy. If I see person going to some gym to workout with 2000€ Rolex, five real gold chains, earrings with real diamonds and 700€ customized sneakers, it looks like he's trying to bring his riches little bit too much at our view. Similarly, if you try to look like prostitute or really weird with Superman suit or something of similar kind, you probably don't really respect yourself enough.

Just..stop.
     Reply #44 - March 30, 2014, 11:52 PM

Similarly, if you try to look like prostitute or really weird with Superman suit or something of similar kind, you probably don't really respect yourself enough.

I have to say, that I have ultimate respect for those wearing Superman suits. Respect. The uncommon is best.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #45 - March 30, 2014, 11:54 PM

What is self-respect for you Siunaa? Looking good in the eyes of the others?

For me is being myself.
     Reply #46 - March 30, 2014, 11:54 PM

What's problematic with me saying "cheap hooker"?

You're using it as a negative. In a derogatory sense. An exemplar of what you believe it looks like to have no self respect.

Don't pretend that you meant it as a neutral visual reference. We know you're naive, but you're not gonna be able to exploit that and play innocent.

Reply #47 - March 30, 2014, 11:55 PM

Yeah, you're one of them.

I specified "deeply" because I know that I judge. I just don't really let it effect how I treat people. I'm not a saint, nowhere near; but I know that when I only in my mind think that that prostitute looking man looks like prostitute or that I talk about these things in CEMB without actually referring to any person, hurts much less than some people actually treating others differently based on their style, possibly mocking or even bullying. That's why I emphasized and put the word deeply.
    I don't make fun though, or have I made fun? If I have, I've made mistake. But I cannot think when I've made fun of them.

Reply #48 - March 30, 2014, 11:57 PM

Siunaa Maailmaa: your position is basically that if a woman displays overt signs of being sexual, she is doing something wrong.

This may not be how you want to phrase it, but it's obviously still accurate.

Reply #49 - March 30, 2014, 11:58 PM

Or, to put it another way, you appear to have a major dose of the good old virgin/whore dichotomy complex.

Reply #50 - March 30, 2014, 11:59 PM

I specified "deeply" because I know that I judge.

Concluding that someone has no self respect is a deep judgement about their character and worth.

Reply #51 - March 31, 2014, 12:00 AM

I think I need to change my views and grow as a person. I've been too judgmental, got schooled and learned valuable lesson.
    But back to the original topic, can we really say that muslims shouldn't wear their hijabs?

Reply #52 - March 31, 2014, 12:03 AM

Who said that?

Reply #53 - March 31, 2014, 12:03 AM

Not even my own mother tells me what I should and shouldn't wear.

Reply #54 - March 31, 2014, 12:11 AM

Who said that?

Many people are saying that hijabs look hideous, saying how it makes muslimahs look like idiots and some even try to ban it legally. I know many people like that from Finland and I don't think it's much different from other countries either.

Reply #55 - March 31, 2014, 12:13 AM

Oh. Ok. Well I'd say that's their problem.

Reply #56 - March 31, 2014, 12:24 AM

The burkhas are banned in several countries too. Shouldn't they be allowed to wear burkhas if they put register license in their burkha? What do you think?

ps. Now I need to sleep for goodness' sake.

Reply #57 - March 31, 2014, 12:27 AM

Shouldn't be allowed to wear burkhas in any situation where other people are banned from wearing motorcycle helmets or ski masks.

Reply #58 - March 31, 2014, 12:32 AM

And a bit off topic…
     Grin
    Holy crap! Just found this about the Time Square weed head box dude:

Oh wow, that's crazy.

You do see some characters in that city, that's for sure. Also some of the craftiest people I've ever seen, so the box guy's box doesn't surprise me. I was there on a date to see the tree lighting when a woman came up and shoved a few flowers in my date's hand and said, "These are for charity and for your pretty girlfriend, $10.00," and we were just standing there, stunned. Like we knew what she was doing: don't you think your girlfriend deserves flowers and don't you think a charity deserves your donation and they're already in your hand, so....

I finally took the flowers out of his hand and gave them back to her and fished a few dollars out of my pocket and told her to keep it as a donation, and then she left and we wandered away a few dollars poorer. It was an excellent technique, though. I bet that got a lot of poor fellows with something to prove.
     Reply #59 - March 31, 2014, 12:32 AM

But shouldn't you be allowed to wear ski mask or motorcycle helmet if you have register template on your clothes?
    Do you think burkha with license plate should be legal?

• Previous page 1 23 4 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »