Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: the lies of 'Islamic Feminism'

(Read 57671 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • the lies of 'Islamic Feminism'
     Reply #180 - March 25, 2014, 05:13 PM

Your English is fine. You speak clearly and are perfectly understandable.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #181 - March 25, 2014, 05:25 PM

I can accept the fact that there are a lot of different groups of feminists, they don't all share the same view on sex and gender or what or how equality should be attained. But as Jane Freedman said, the most basic definition of feminism is that you first and foremost acknowledge the fact that women hold a subordinate position in society. All feminists and all feminist ideologies also acknowledge the discrimination women suffer solely because of their sex, and all feminists demand social, economical, political and cultural change to abolish this discrimination.

Now, my question is, and this is why I am of the firm opinion that "Islamic feminism" is an oxymoron and natural impossibility, how can you fit into this one of the most basic and "open" definition of feminism, while the religious texts in and of themselves are inherently misogynist? How can you fit into this definition while trying to defend and rationalize discriminatory rules and laws. How can you fit into this definition when the religious texts clearly propagates a hierarchical society where women are subordinate to men in all parts of life and society. How can you fit into this definition while maintaining one of the most sexist symbols in Islam, the Muslim veil, which the religious texts themselves explicitly state serve to subjugate and both over-sexualise and deprive women from their sexual autonomy! How can you fit into this definition while having to acknowledge that men and women are inherently "different".

You can't say that Islam is feminist. You can be a Muslim feminist, either being a really bad feminist or a really bad Muslim. But you can never be an "Islamic feminist", and the one claiming that Islam can be feminist is either a liar or an ignoramus. Both equally dangerous.

Rant over.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #182 - March 25, 2014, 05:44 PM

I know that I would completely destroy her in a discussion (if my English language skills were just a little better, or preferably if she spoke Swedish Smiley ).

I'm with Quod on this one. If you never said anything about it, I would never have guessed that English wasn't your native language.

Reply #183 - March 25, 2014, 06:01 PM

She also has a very pleasant voice.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #184 - March 25, 2014, 06:03 PM

Grin She did not sing on here too, did she?
     Reply #185 - March 25, 2014, 06:04 PM

No, chatted with her on skype. Cornflower, sing!

Reply #186 - March 29, 2014, 11:17 PM

This is a powerful article and very well written. Here is my favourite line: "And even if rights were unconditionally allowed to us, were gifts from God, He passed the gifts onto the men and lets them decide whether to deliver them to us or to hold them over our heads." That's .. profound. Thank you for sharing lua.
     Reply #187 - March 29, 2014, 11:22 PM

You are too kind. Thank you so much, Entheos!
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7« Previous thread | Next thread »