Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Analytically approaching depression

(Read 3295 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Analytically approaching depression
     OP - March 08, 2014, 08:54 PM

I've got to the point where it is quite plausible that I will be destroying my education. The protestations of the psychiatrist notwithstanding, I literally cannot afford to waste any more of my time in this debilitating state. In an ideal world I'd spend years trying out different meds and finally settling on the best of them, but this is not an option when I spend approx. 16-18 hours of my day lying in bed.

Currently the points worth phenomenologically considering are:
    1) I do not believe that I have any self worth. Even when people tell me I am talented at things, I generally dismiss their compliments with a nonchalant shrug. As such, I have felt no motivation to pursue anything of interest for quite a while.
    2) I cannot understand people. Due to a certain physical disability, I am reliant upon aid when I decide to show my face in public. I believe that people cannot fully express their emotions next to me, and this makes me paranoid, anxious, and unable to dispense with overwhelming feelings of worthlessness. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to a social gathering sober, which is worrying.
    3) due to having very few friends prior to starting university, I suppose I had to construct an epistemological bedrock post-apostasy. Philosophy, sociology, history, science, music, literature, non-conformism and (at times) excessive self-criticism were the cornerstones of this existence. Resultantly, I have been unable to establish healthy rapport with muslims for a long time. This is problematic because I'm going to require family support but they're simply not willing to have the conversations that I want to partake in, and nor will they be able to constructively help me with my depression. i would wager that the unspoken sentiment they harbour is that I've strayed from the deen and merely need to reconnect with my fitra. Of course, this is implausible.

due to 1) 2) and (recently) 3) i have turned to the internet, music, books, drugs and sleeping, as i feel safe and don't have to grapple with overwhelming emotional breakdowns. I can understand these escapes, whilst i cannot cognise much of the outside world. i hasten to add, however, that i do not enjoy these activities, i merely feel comfortable when i partake in them.

I (believe) that I can pinpoint a few things that need to be done so that things can get back on track.
    1) come out to family re: apostasy. I've tried this before, but it's always 'Allah knows best, don't ask too many questions'. Due to my apostasy largely being predicated on abstruse islamic theology and Wittgensteinian paradigms esp. re: private language, metaphysics etc, i'm not sure how I'll manage to achieve this task with aplomb. i feel, nevertheless, that if i keep up the pretence of being a muslim, we'll a) make no headway with regards to my mental state and B) unnecessary arguments will ensue (aggravating the situation further) if it so happens that I have transgressed an islamic ruling.
    2) seek out a therapist. every NHS therapist I've been to in the past has always emphasised cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT.) My problem with this approach is that it is not nearly  materialist enough and focuses way too much on the individual as opposed to the social milieu of said individual. Granted, i am not claiming that one can completely alter their social circumstances, but maybe i need to face some uncomfortable truths about my environment.
    3) try and cut back on alcohol, cigarettes and other pharmaceuticals. i am willing to do this, but i fear that there will always be the temptation to down a bottle and escape suicidal despair.
    4) exercise. At the moment i dread the prospect of signing up for the gym, as they will need to carry out a health and safety risk assessment, as well as request that i bring a volunteer along with me. i am in no fit state to deal with this bureaucracy, and the idea of going to the gym with assistance is not a confidence and morale booster, so i just give up whenever i have an opportunity to sort this shit out.
    5) fix sleeping pattern.
    6) eat healthily. i am a terrible cook who makes food that could hardly be called edible, and i don't want to rely on the family household for food. thus, i occasionally eat fast food and rely on mezes, fruits, crisps and dark chocolate for the rest of my dietary needs. This is assuming that i actually remember to eat. i generally eat once a day, and only enough for me to take my antidepressant.
    7) make an effort to develop more meaningful social interactions. i am not shy, and i can hold my own in a conversation, but i find most of my interactions to be boring and/or uninteresting — either that, or i find that i am a burden on everyone else and would rather not be there.

Thoughts?
     Reply #1 - March 09, 2014, 03:42 AM

Its a good idea to right out your plan like this. Just don't be hard on yourself if the progress isn't as quick as you'd like. As long as you're taking steps to reach the goals you've set out for yourself I think you'll do well on this journey. Good luck.  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - March 09, 2014, 02:26 PM

While I'm in no position to give much advise on the subject, I share quite a few of your difficulties, and I remember once thinking this exact same thought: "In an ideal world I'd spend years trying out different meds and finally settling on the best of them". I was sick of experimenting with medication, so I managed to convince my doctor to go for the magic bullet treatment for depression, a class of drugs known as MAOI. They're rarely used due to its numerous interactions with other drugs and foods, but it's known to work miracles on depression and anxiety. It demolished my social anxiety like nothing else, long enough for me to get my first job and kickstart my life. I'm not suggesting you try to get yourself on one of these medications, but it's good to know of them in moments of complete desperation.
     Reply #3 - March 10, 2014, 08:06 PM

I have not had much success with CBT. It sounds good on paper, though. Maybe I've been unlucky with the practitioners I've seen. I always felt like I could do a better job than them, that they had nothing to teach me or nothing I couldn't think up better and quicker in my own time. I'd either be impatient and snappy with them or, if I liked them, end up pretending they were helping so as not to hurt their feelings.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #4 - March 10, 2014, 08:11 PM

...if I liked them, end up pretending they were helping so as not to hurt their feelings.

That's good. You wouldn't want them to get depressed. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - May 01, 2014, 05:34 PM

I've got to the point where it is quite plausible that I will be destroying my education. The protestations of the psychiatrist notwithstanding, I literally cannot afford to waste any more of my time in this debilitating state. In an ideal world I'd spend years trying out different meds and finally settling on the best of them, but this is not an option when I spend approx. 16-18 hours of my day lying in bed.

Currently the points worth phenomenologically considering are:
    1) I do not believe that I have any self worth. Even when people tell me I am talented at things, I generally dismiss their compliments with a nonchalant shrug. As such, I have felt no motivation to pursue anything of interest for quite a while.
    2) I cannot understand people. Due to a certain physical disability, I am reliant upon aid when I decide to show my face in public. I believe that people cannot fully express their emotions next to me, and this makes me paranoid, anxious, and unable to dispense with overwhelming feelings of worthlessness. In fact, I can't remember the last time I went to a social gathering sober, which is worrying.
    3) due to having very few friends prior to starting university, I suppose I had to construct an epistemological bedrock post-apostasy. Philosophy, sociology, history, science, music, literature, non-conformism and (at times) excessive self-criticism were the cornerstones of this existence. Resultantly, I have been unable to establish healthy rapport with muslims for a long time. This is problematic because I'm going to require family support but they're simply not willing to have the conversations that I want to partake in, and nor will they be able to constructively help me with my depression. i would wager that the unspoken sentiment they harbour is that I've strayed from the deen and merely need to reconnect with my fitra. Of course, this is implausible.

due to 1) 2) and (recently) 3) i have turned to the internet, music, books, drugs and sleeping, as i feel safe and don't have to grapple with overwhelming emotional breakdowns. I can understand these escapes, whilst i cannot cognise much of the outside world. i hasten to add, however, that i do not enjoy these activities, i merely feel comfortable when i partake in them.

I (believe) that I can pinpoint a few things that need to be done so that things can get back on track.
    1) come out to family re: apostasy. I've tried this before, but it's always 'Allah knows best, don't ask too many questions'. Due to my apostasy largely being predicated on abstruse islamic theology and Wittgensteinian paradigms esp. re: private language, metaphysics etc, i'm not sure how I'll manage to achieve this task with aplomb. i feel, nevertheless, that if i keep up the pretence of being a muslim, we'll a) make no headway with regards to my mental state and B) unnecessary arguments will ensue (aggravating the situation further) if it so happens that I have transgressed an islamic ruling.
    2) seek out a therapist. every NHS therapist I've been to in the past has always emphasised cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT.) My problem with this approach is that it is not nearly  materialist enough and focuses way too much on the individual as opposed to the social milieu of said individual. Granted, i am not claiming that one can completely alter their social circumstances, but maybe i need to face some uncomfortable truths about my environment.
    3) try and cut back on alcohol, cigarettes and other pharmaceuticals. i am willing to do this, but i fear that there will always be the temptation to down a bottle and escape suicidal despair.
    4) exercise. At the moment i dread the prospect of signing up for the gym, as they will need to carry out a health and safety risk assessment, as well as request that i bring a volunteer along with me. i am in no fit state to deal with this bureaucracy, and the idea of going to the gym with assistance is not a confidence and morale booster, so i just give up whenever i have an opportunity to sort this shit out.
    5) fix sleeping pattern.
    6) eat healthily. i am a terrible cook who makes food that could hardly be called edible, and i don't want to rely on the family household for food. thus, i occasionally eat fast food and rely on mezes, fruits, crisps and dark chocolate for the rest of my dietary needs. This is assuming that i actually remember to eat. i generally eat once a day, and only enough for me to take my antidepressant.
    7) make an effort to develop more meaningful social interactions. i am not shy, and i can hold my own in a conversation, but i find most of my interactions to be boring and/or uninteresting — either that, or i find that i am a burden on everyone else and would rather not be there.

Thoughts?

schizo  you are a wonderful guy and  a gifted writer.,  Your posts are very useful to folks that are in similar situation... Please come back and educate me a bit more ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - May 01, 2014, 05:57 PM

I never noticed the disability Schizo, what type of disability is it ?   if you dont mind me asking..   

X
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »