Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: UK exam body to allow schools to redact exams in line with religious beliefs

(Read 4251 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • UK exam body to allow schools to redact exams in line with religious beliefs
     OP - March 05, 2014, 07:06 PM

Jewish school redacts exam to remove evolution questions

A Jewish girls school in Hackney has been redacting questions on evolution on science exam papers because they do not fit in with their beliefs.

Fifty-two papers were altered by Yesodey Hatorah Senior Girls' School to remove questions on evolution.

The examinations body, OCR, says it was satisfied that the girls did not have an unfair advantage. It now plans to allow the practice, saying it has come to an agreement with the school to protect the future integrity of the exams.

But Stephen Evans from the National Secular Society said children were being penalised by being denied access to marks on those papers.

The Department of Education meanwhile has asked for assurances that the children will be taught the full curriculum.

Video in the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26437882

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #1 - March 05, 2014, 07:22 PM

Why even bother studying science?
     Reply #2 - March 05, 2014, 07:28 PM

What this is essentially doing is wilfully putting these children at a disadvantage. If parents want to teach their children their particular fairy tales I can't stop them but the idea this would be allowed in a school is disgusting. When exactly did it become the role of educators to limit the futures of their pupils?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #3 - March 05, 2014, 07:59 PM

The examinations body, OCR, says it was satisfied that the girls did not have an unfair advantage. It now plans to allow the practice, saying it has come to an agreement with the school to protect the future integrity of the exams.

Translation: we're so busy sucking the dicks of anyone who claims any religious belief that we are willing to whore ourselves to the extent of saying patently untrue things in order to mollify those who refuse to accept evidence, namely that removing evolution from science preserves the integrity of science.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - March 05, 2014, 09:55 PM

Pure and Applied mathematics goes against my religious beliefs, can I miss those questions out?

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #5 - March 05, 2014, 10:05 PM

Of course you can. It wont compromise the integrity of mathematics. Afro

Reply #6 - March 05, 2014, 11:54 PM

I bet they didn't ask the students if they want to learn real science or not. This was a political decision made by adults.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #7 - March 06, 2014, 01:14 AM

Minus the stuff about America in the beginning, this issue always reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU
     Reply #8 - March 06, 2014, 01:58 AM

Our prime minister doesn't believe in evolution or climate change (he called it *bullshit* and later retracted the comment).

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #9 - March 06, 2014, 02:00 AM

He's a Catholic, and the Catholic Church accepts evolution. I know he's a bit retarded when it comes to climate change and several other issues, but I'd be surprised if he denies evolution.

Reply #10 - March 06, 2014, 01:39 PM

This is horrendous, having gone to a school with a large religious community, I can say that science is not taught properly in such schools. I cannot believe UK examination bodies are allowing this (being a secular country with a long history in academia). It is detrimental to the education system.

Although my school is legally required to teach evolution, my biology would often say "evolution is just an unproven theory" and "why don't monkeys evolve now" and stupid shit like that. Obviously, some naive students are going to believe what teacher says and their education is thus hampered. Furthermore, the science teachers continuously reiterate that science is incomplete (unlike religion).
     Reply #11 - March 06, 2014, 03:55 PM

It's a betrayal of those children. Now that the story is out there I'm waiting to see the reaction.

Anyone watch the vid in the link?

Reply #12 - March 08, 2014, 12:02 AM

Of course you can. It wont compromise the integrity of mathematics. Afro

Oh yeah, and loooong division, always went against everything I stand for.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #13 - March 08, 2014, 04:50 AM

Our prime minister doesn't believe in evolution or climate change (he called it *bullshit* and later retracted the comment).

I've always wondered how anyone so delusional as to reject facts can be elected as leader, especially in a secular country.
     Reply #14 - March 08, 2014, 05:06 AM

Simple. All you need is an electorate that is happy to reject facts.

Reply #15 - March 08, 2014, 09:04 AM

The jewish always get their voice heard, whatever they say goes, if they want to open up a new school they get thousands of pounds of funding at the drop of a hat, if they wanna change the education system to fit their beliefs, what the heck, its a done deal  Smiley 

shalom
     Reply #16 - March 08, 2014, 10:35 AM

Yes, blame the Jews. They run the world. Its not like Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Hindu and Sikh schools don't get funding, or that religious exemptions happen on a number of issues across the board, or that creationism issues are prevalent in Christian and Islamic schools.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #17 - March 08, 2014, 12:24 PM

The jewish always get their voice heard, whatever they say goes, if they want to open up a new school they get thousands of pounds of funding at the drop of a hat, if they wanna change the education system to fit their beliefs, what the heck, its a done deal  Smiley 

shalom

You've clearly never seen the syllabus at a Christian or Muslim school.
     Reply #18 - March 08, 2014, 12:32 PM

suki, did you see this?

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=25968.0

Reply #19 - March 08, 2014, 10:51 PM

Thanks Quod..    okay, i did a bit of unecessary jewish bashing, its just i remember looking at stats online years ago, for every muslim school closed down lol, 20 of the others opened..

Peace 
     Reply #20 - March 08, 2014, 11:29 PM

Jew-bashing, Muslim-bashing, Christian-bashing etc etc are never necessary.
     Reply #21 - March 09, 2014, 12:40 AM

Thanks Quod..    okay, i did a bit of unecessary jewish bashing, its just i remember looking at stats online years ago, for every muslim school closed down lol, 20 of the others opened..

Peace  

'Jew bashing', what a vile phrase. Resonant of 'Paki bashing', and it is not allowed here. Don't do it again.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #22 - March 09, 2014, 04:15 AM

no problem, i used the "       "  bashing phrase because i sounded like i was doing so in my initial post, but wasnt really, i was actually refering to money and power not a racial or faith group, i'm part Jewish heritage myself

peace
     Reply #23 - March 12, 2014, 08:36 PM

What about "Bishop Bashing"? Is that allowed, or only in private between consenting adults?

Reply #24 - March 27, 2014, 02:45 AM

In related news the BBC has clip of Prof Alice Roberts saying to ban creationism in school science.

Reply #25 - March 27, 2014, 03:02 AM

So I have a genuine question. How did we get schools allowed to redact exams in line with religious beliefs when we so recently had this?

Reply #26 - March 27, 2014, 03:17 AM

Good for Da Prof. She's a bonzer sheila. Afro

Re the other: why don't you write and ask?

Reply #27 - March 27, 2014, 03:20 AM

I think I will.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »