Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How my Palestinian activisim led to my Atheism

(Read 3350 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How my Palestinian activisim led to my Atheism
     OP - March 04, 2014, 02:36 AM

My name is of course not Adam, but I will gladly tell you my real name when I do eventually get to know all you lovely people.
    I was born in Bradford, and I am originally Palestinian. Both my parents are extremely religious and it is literally impossible to ask questions without me finding them reading the Quran for the rest of the night. We moved to Leicester, a beautiful flat city FULL of Muslims. I was seven but I was already very skeptical about everything, and my parents could see that so they sent me to an Islamic school as most parents do. I'm not gonna go on about everything they did there, from hitting when you need correcting to standing on one foot in a corner for half and hour etc.. It was seeing all that that made very skeptical, the kind of Learn it 3'asben 3anak attitude. But my parents believed and if they believed it, it must be right.
    My parents got the genius idea to move to Palestine when I was about 14. My Arabic was very basic back then, I still couldn't read or write. At the time we moved Hamas was prepping it self to win the elections in a year, so you would quickly get accustomed to the religion everything way of life. I went to one of the many newly opened Hamas-led schools near Nablus. I hated every single second of it. It was religion after religion after Arabic.. Which is religion after PE which is pretty much marching around and chanting "la illaha illaah...". Thinking back it's quite a comical scene, but the constant hitting didn't help improve my Arabic so I found a different way.
    I first met atheists when I was 15, and it was with activists I met in Bil'in whilst protesting the wall. At the time I didn't know much about the politics but Tamer (the only person in school that I found hated Islam too) helped me meet them. It was a very heart warming scene, all kinds of people were protesting. Israeli's, Palestinian atheists, Muslims, Christians and a lot of foreigners. People didn't care that you're not a Muslim anymore, they seemed to understand how the Israeli oppression has impacted their lives because of their religion. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this too, but there's a lot of young people nowadays who would reject religion if they can. Tamer told me how soon there would be a third intifada, but this time its not just against Israeli occupation but also against the indoctrinates of Islam. Islam has however taken strong hold in the west bank, with mosques usually being built near poor areas and refugee camps. The amount of exploitation is very apparent and it seemed like they were opening chains to McDonald's.
    When I came back to the UK I became very active on the Palestinian issue on campus. It quickly became apparent though that I was fighting more with the Salafis of Isoc than with Israelis. The Palestinian issue in the UK is to them officially an Islamic issue, and that usually means they never back down or hear other views and ideas.
    Just a quick question, how do you deal with Isoc these days when most of their members are outright Salafis?
    Edit: sorry for the long winded intro, I tried to cut it down halfway through
     Reply #1 - March 04, 2014, 02:44 AM

There's no magic way to deal with them. If they feel they don't want people who share their political goals who aren't exactly like them there isn't much you can do. If it's important to you try and make them see you're fighting for the same thing. If they don't care, fuck them. Life's to short,

Welcome to the forum. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - March 04, 2014, 03:13 AM

What a life you've led so far!

I'm glad it brought you here. Look forward to hearing more from you. parrot
     Reply #3 - March 04, 2014, 03:40 AM

Hello Adam, thank you for sharing your story and welcome to the forum  parrot

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Re: How my Palestinian activisim led to my Atheism
     Reply #4 - March 04, 2014, 03:50 AM

My name is of course not Adam, but I will gladly tell you my real name when I do eventually get to know all you lovely people.
    I was born in Bradford, and I am originally Palestinian. Both my parents are extremely religious and it is literally impossible to ask questions without me finding them reading the Quran for the rest of the night. We moved to Leicester, a beautiful flat city FULL of Muslims. I was seven but I was already very skeptical about everything, and my parents could see that so they sent me to an Islamic school as most parents do. I'm not gonna go on about everything they did there, from hitting when you need correcting to standing on one foot in a corner for half and hour etc.. It was seeing all that that made very skeptical, the kind of Learn it 3'asben 3anak attitude. But my parents believed and if they believed it, it must be right.
    My parents got the genius idea to move to Palestine when I was about 14. My Arabic was very basic back then, I still couldn't read or write. At the time we moved Hamas was prepping it self to win the elections in a year, so you would quickly get accustomed to the religion everything way of life. I went to one of the many newly opened Hamas-led schools near Nablus. I hated every single second of it. It was religion after religion after Arabic.. Which is religion after PE which is pretty much marching around and chanting "la illaha illaah...". Thinking back it's quite a comical scene, but the constant hitting didn't help improve my Arabic so I found a different way.
    I first met atheists when I was 15, and it was with activists I met in Bil'in whilst protesting the wall. At the time I didn't know much about the politics but Tamer (the only person in school that I found hated Islam too) helped me meet them. It was a very heart warming scene, all kinds of people were protesting. Israeli's, Palestinian atheists, Muslims, Christians and a lot of foreigners. People didn't care that you're not a Muslim anymore, they seemed to understand how the Israeli oppression has impacted their lives because of their religion. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this too, but there's a lot of young people nowadays who would reject religion if they can. Tamer told me how soon there would be a third intifada, but this time its not just against Israeli occupation but also against the indoctrinates of Islam. Islam has however taken strong hold in the west bank, with mosques usually being built near poor areas and refugee camps. The amount of exploitation is very apparent and it seemed like they were opening chains to McDonald's.
    When I came back to the UK I became very active on the Palestinian issue on campus. It quickly became apparent though that I was fighting more with the Salafis of Isoc than with Israelis. The Palestinian issue in the UK is to them officially an Islamic issue, and that usually means they never back down or hear other views and ideas.
    Just a quick question, how do you deal with Isoc these days when most of their members are outright Salafis?
    Edit: sorry for the long winded intro, I tried to cut it down halfway through

Do you have a left forum or something equivalent at your university? Could help. Personally I will have nothing to do with the ISOC here —even though I am on cordial terms with a couple of members. They are either obsessed with A) is islam a religion of peace, B) Muhammad worship, or C) rumiite sufism. Feel free to PM me with the university that you go to.

Also, just as an a-side, is your comrade Tamer Turkish? The only reason I ask is because the spelling of his name is the turkified (latinised) version.
     Reply #5 - March 04, 2014, 04:16 AM

Thank you guys I guess I give you a parrot back?  parrot
    whoa you have to admit its kinda trippy
    and no I don't think so, Tamer was American, but put in the same situation as me.
     Reply #6 - March 04, 2014, 09:51 AM

Hi Adam, great to have you here  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #7 - March 04, 2014, 09:59 AM

Welcome Adam! Your intro hits close to home. Hope you like it here

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #8 - March 04, 2014, 07:11 PM

parrot

Your comments about your school in Leicester are worrying.  Would you mind talking to the NSPCC about it?  I know it is a few years ago but have things changed at that school?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #9 - March 08, 2014, 01:48 AM

Strawberry flavoured cider  parrot
     Reply #10 - March 22, 2014, 10:58 AM

Welcome

I fully understand your problem with Palestinian activism in the UK, especially around universities and Mosques. Unfortunately it seems the secular, pro-Palestinian movement has been overshadowed by the salafi 'jump on anything we can spite the kuffar and shia with' band. This is more about hating Israelis, Jews and the West then supporting the poor and oppressed in Israel and PT and these movements do nothing but tarnish and hurt the Palestinians. Quite honestly I wish salafis and other Islamists were banned from pro-Palestinian, Pro-Syrian, anti-war and other popular movements.
     Reply #11 - March 22, 2014, 11:14 AM

given that lots of Palestinians are Christians, and probably some who (secretly) are not religious, and that lots of the greatest advocates for Palestinian rights are and were secularists, it seems particular perverse that Salafis and Wahaabis are overloading on this. But then its just an act of narcissism for them. They only care about their own agenda, and UK Salafis are full of bigots with an identity crisis who think that they are the ones being oppressed.

Its like the jihadis that go to Syria from England. They don't give a damn about the Syrians, who dislike them, and fear them. Read an article with European jihadis describing the Syrians as ungrateful because they don't want a Taliban style state to replace Assad.

Its narcissism and selfishness.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #12 - March 22, 2014, 12:52 PM

parrot

Hello!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »