Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: polygamy in "jannah" led me to leaving islam

(Read 37766 times)
  • 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • polygamy in "jannah" led me to leaving islam
     OP - February 06, 2014, 10:51 AM

I became a muslim over 5 years ago. I was very enthusiastic about islam, it meant everything to me. Couple of years ago i got married. My husband became the most important for me. Shortly after, I found out about the hooris - virgin wives in jannah. I was jealous but my husband promised to reject them. I believed. Just over a week ago I read some fatwas converning hooris and found out that i would not be jealous in paradise and my husband would not desire monogamous relationship with me, so he WILL get at least 2 hooris as wives plus a lot of concubines just for sex. Hearing that we would be brainwashed and have no free will i am shattered. I don't know if i still believe in islam but i am sure i don't want to be a muslim and go to "jannah". If islam is true, i prefer to spend eternity in the hellfire than to see my husband cheating on me every single day. Is this really PARADISE?! The worst thing is that my husband still wants to go to "jannah" after finding out about this pervert behaviour he will show there. I told himto chose between me and islam and last night,after 3 days of thinking, he chose islam. I cut myself a lot and during this short period of time i tried to kill myself twice. I'm not good in it though. I don't know what to do. I have two very small kids, i don't know if i get the job and nursery for them, if i leave my husband... I feel as if mylife has already ended. And i have nobody to talk to, no friends... My family would surely be happy if i told them i left islam, but i know talking to them would hurt even more. Please help me.
     Reply #1 - February 06, 2014, 11:00 AM

First of all far away hug. You know yours is the main reason why I left that male chauvinistic religion whose God thinks that if men had it all, all is well. I used to love a guy a lot and did EVERYTHING for him. When I had told him about the houris he also said that he will only pick me. But God won't allow that will He? But later he had became hostile towards me because I didn't follow purdah, and he read out the hadith that says that woman who doesn't follow the purdah will drag her son, father and husband to hell! I mean didn't the Quran say that one is ONLY RESPONSIBLE for one's own deeds? He even beat me twice for not being womanly! I loved him more than my life and my parents, when the latter people are the only ones who loves me the most and unconditionally! I am a shame for my family Cry!
     Reply #2 - February 06, 2014, 12:06 PM

Hi exmuslimah

First of all, you are not alone feeling like you do when confronted by these facts. But what you shouldn't do is hurting yourself, cutting yourself or try suicide because your husband chooses his beliefs over you. It hurts, it hurts a lot. But remember that Islam teaches its followers from the start that martyrdom and loss of wealth, life and loved ones for the sake of allah is the highest pinnacle of faith. This is typically for all new cults and sects (look at the early history of Christianity), but once the religion has established itself it doesn't stress this as much. Islam, however, has never let the martyrdom doctrine go because else it would never survive in my mind. In your husband's mind, he is probably going through a major trial and he thinks that this is just a sign that allah really loves him. Now it is up to him to choose "right" in order to deserve allah's love. It's sick, but indoctrination has a very strong hold on you.

Don't tie your happiness and well-being to another person, your husband. You can still find happiness elsewhere. You have two small children who need their mother, especially now in this situation. Where do you live? If you cannot live with your husband anymore, then I advice you to seek legal help asap and make sure that you don't loose your children to your ex.

You are not the only convert who was basically tricked into the religion. The relationship that Islam offers between the all-mighty, all-forgiving and "merciful" (not so merciful when you start reading about it) is very simple but beautiful. But once you start reading about the history of Islam, its many rules especially concerning anyone that is not a free (non-slave) adult male and finally its misogyny, one can start seeing Islam for what it really is. False and man-made. Hell is such a brutish and UN-merciful place that not even the most sadist evil person could have imagined all the intrinsic torture methods for seemingly mundane and harmless actions (oh, I didn't believe in allah who doesn't need my worship anyway and now I will spend eternity in hell despite the fact that I didn't have an eternity to figure this shit out). Paradise is VERY androcentric with only men in mind. It's also very simplistic. Women have no place in paradise except being the spouse of their husband and giving birth to children Roll Eyes

Please seek legal advice, and if you are feeling so depressed that you have contemplated suicide, get in touch with a therapist or a doctor so that you can talk about your feelings. It is not healthy for you to keep all this inside. I hope you can use this forum to vent all your thoughts and emotions just like I have done. You are not alone in this!

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #3 - February 06, 2014, 12:18 PM

I talked to a doctor who happens to be a male muslim. When i told him why i'm suicidal ("because of the hooris, because i don't want to be cheated on), he said he doesn't agree with me. I said this is the islamic belief. He said "if you don't want my help then don't waste my time.".
     Reply #4 - February 06, 2014, 12:33 PM

That is utterly unprofessional and shows how utterly incompetent he is as a doctor. You didn't go to him in order to teach you Islamic beliefs. You need to go back and ask for another doctor. Make or female, but someone you can honestly talk to. You are feeling like you do because you have been indoctrinated with beliefs that you no longer support and this causes cognitive dissonance that your mind cannot handle. The sooner you realize that paradise is just some desert Arab's dream, the better.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #5 - February 06, 2014, 12:58 PM

And My husband's telling me to get rukya (exorcism) ehm. Because that's me who is crazy... Once he even told me i'm talking like a devil. And now i stopped wearing jilbab and niqab, he doesn't want to go out with me, he even told me that when his brother comes to see the kids, i will have to stay in our bedroom because i'm not covered. He's sooo ashamed.
     Reply #6 - February 06, 2014, 01:08 PM

Be happy that he at least allows you to go outside without  Cheesy Joke aside, I know what you are saying. My ex forced me to wear the hijab and niqab, and he accused me of being posessed by jinn and afflicted by magic (my mother was the saahirah) when I left him and just took everything off.

In his world, no person can just "leave" Islam like that, no person can just have such an existential crisis because of something that "allah has allowed". In his mind, you are a bad Muslim. But do not let that bother you. There are worse things than houris in paradise. Worse things in this life we are living right now, that Islam allows and tries to brainwash its followers that this is something moral and "good". You are just like most converts, very uninformed before making such a decision as converting and accepting Islam. Be happy you didn't waste more years, like me. I spent 2 years as a "half-Muslim" and then 7 years as an extremely devout Muslim.  mysmilie_977

Reply #7 - February 06, 2014, 01:35 PM

Welcome to the forum. A parrot for you. parrot

CEMB is a safe place for ex-muslims. You can talk to us about whatever. Smiley

First of all you need to take a breath. Try and cool down. Collect yourself. First and foremost you need to be in your right mind. If you're worried about what you'll do, how you'll react, I would strongly advice you to contact your GP about counselling, if you feel you need it. If your GP is the one you mentioned above, get another GP. You need someone who isn't biased. A doctor's job is to be not only a healer but also non judgemental. You're well within your rights to report him.

From what you're said you sound very cut off. Having a support system, whatever that may be, is something that isn't to be underestimated. If there's any old friends you haven't seen in a while, maybe you could contact them? And of course, you can talk here as well. This is a safe place for ex-muslims before anything else.

You're not alone. Welcome to CEMB. far away hug

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - February 06, 2014, 05:11 PM

Cornflower, when his brother comes, i will walk in front of him in shorts. I'm in such state that i want to show them how little i care about their stupid rules.
    Now my wali called me asking about my life. I said everything's fine but he didn't believe me so i told him i'm not a muslim anymore (and why). He made a big speach about how islam favours women over men and how wrong I am etc. I'm so angry!
     Reply #9 - February 06, 2014, 05:12 PM

Quod Sum Eris, thanks for your welcoming words
     Reply #10 - February 06, 2014, 05:55 PM

As a grown woman you don't need a "wali". As a mother of two, I think it is only condescending to say the least that you need a "guardian". I am glad that you are so aware of this. They can keep their speeches to themselves. The more you analyze "women's rights" in Islam, the more obvious it is that only a fool could defend it saying it is an "honor".

Be careful, as long as you are safe without risking coming to harm you do exactly what you want to do. They have no right to prohibit you from wearing shorts. But remember that the most important thing is your and your children's safety. Make sure that you can leave your husband, if it comes to that, with your children. My biggest fear was, and still is, that my ex will kidnap my child from her "fasiqah" mother.

Reply #11 - February 06, 2014, 06:23 PM

Islam gave women rights, that one never gets old. Cheesy

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #12 - February 07, 2014, 02:13 AM

parrot

Welcome. I am happy to see you.
    It is normal to have difficult and intense reactions to losing religion.
    Don't forget about the children. A healthy mommy is the best mommy for them. Take care of your physical health and your mental health, so that you can take care of your children. Please seek help from a doctor that is not Muslim, if it is possible to do so, and try for a therapist
    You must understand that Islam grants every right to men, and they are loathe to compromise on that. They have it very good, there is no reason to leave and every reason to stay in Islam, for them.
    Concentrate on the fact that you are now free, and be careful of your safety, please. Many Muslims become enraged when family members leave the faith.
    Try to make your choices after the shock has worn off, or only if you are certain you are in a safe and supportive environment. 
    I have found it very helpful, being here, in this forum. I hope you do, too.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #13 - February 07, 2014, 08:44 AM

I love my husband and I want to stay with him but he thinks I will raise children as muslims. I don't know if he'll still want to be with me when he'll finally realise i'm not gonna do it...
     Reply #14 - February 07, 2014, 09:05 AM

What exactly makes you not want to raise them as muslims? Is the hoori thing the straw that broke the camels back and once that happened you just saw the bullshit in all of it?

I hope you don't mind me asking, I'm just curious. You seen to have gone from a true believer to the complete reverse. Which actually is more common than you'd think, we have a member who's breaking point was the hadith about the first human being a 90 foot giant made of clay (he was training to be a doctor), once he admitted to himself there was no way that was real it was like the rose tinted glasses were just torn off and he actually saw what was being taught. Is it similar for you?

If it's an uncomfortable question please don't feel pressured to answer just for the sake of my curiosity, I'll mind my business if you'd prefer. Smiley

Reply #15 - February 07, 2014, 09:22 AM

It started with the hooris and it opened my eyes to other things. The more i'm thinking about islam the more i see how wrong it is. Slavery, hatred towards people of other religions, treating them as worse kind of humans, Muhammad's marriage to A'isha, women's rights... I knew all those things but was afraid to criticise them even im my thoughts, Because muslims are not supposed to criticise allah's laws, right? Now i'm not afraid anymore to see the truth about this religion. And finally i understand my parents. They always told me i'm brainwashed, that it's impossible to talk with me about islam because i reject all reasonable arguments.
     Reply #16 - February 07, 2014, 09:29 AM

It's kind of a mindfuck. It's repeated over and over "Do you not see the signs of allh", "non believers are unthinking", "blindness", "seals over hearts" and other delights that make you feel you can't trust your own judgement, and then adds a good helping of nightmarish threats of agonising tortures that last for eternity if you dare to question an imaginary dark age desert god.

Reply #17 - February 07, 2014, 10:30 AM

Yes Yes Yes! Exactly that. I basically knew Islam was misogynist and that things lake slavery and Muslim supremacy prevailed withing the Islamic texts... but somehow, due to various reasons, I convinced and brainwashed myself into accepting all this while at the same time ignoring it. You have to ignore it, and as western converts we have this privilige because we are not confronted by the "Islamic reality" on a daily basis as women are in other parts of the world. Ignoring the uncomfortable just takes you that long. The mindfuck that is the quran really messes with your head. Be happy that you woke up from it.

Just a cautious advice, your husband will never accept that you raise the children as non-Muslims. And even though he currently does not force you or protest anymore than saying he's ashamed by you uncovering, it is only a matter of time before the whole thing bursts. There is a death penalty within Islamic shariah for apostates, and perhaps your husband does not know about this but eventually he will learn it. Marriage is automatically annulled in shariah in the case of apostasy, so he won't even view you as a wife anymore. You will have no rights to your children in his eyes if he chooses Islam over you and the love you share. This is what Islam does to people. It was the same with my ex, he said he would accept a lot of things (this was while he thought I was still a Muslim even!) but the more time went by, he couldn't accept our new agreement. Sorry if I paint a black picture, but I want to make sure that you are aware of this in case thing continue on a bad path.

For Muslims, especially if they are very devout or belong to the more conservative version of Islam (which I believe both you and your husband belonged to, as you wore the niqab), there is either Islam or nothing. So be cautious, even though you want to stay with him and make things work it is ALWAYS better for you to have a plan B in store and prepare for the worse. You never know. My ex had a fit one day, despite our previous agreement surrounding certain matters, and it ended with him threatening to kidnap our daughter and do a lot of horrible stuff to me. Hadn't my mother been there,I don't know what would have happened and what would have become of me and my daughter. Perhaps I would be writing today that I lost my daughter or not writing at all...

Reply #18 - February 07, 2014, 12:16 PM

If things start to go wrong i can always go back to my country and seek help from my parents. My mum promised me earlier that if i leave islam and my husband, she'll help me find the job and she'll take care of my kids during my shifts. So i have plan B but hope for better...
     Reply #19 - February 07, 2014, 12:27 PM

If you are in a Muslim country, remember that a lot of countries do not let the woman leave the country with the children without the husband's permission. I am not talking about Saudi, but even other Arab countries with Baath-regimes (for example Syria have/had these laws). Just take in as much information as possible and make sure you prepare, contact your mother and explain your situation to her. If I had kept everything to myself, I don't know how I'd managed. Look up the address and number to your embassy. Do whatever you can, and even if you hope things can work out, prepare for the very worst. Keep an amount of money that you can use if you have to buy a one way ticket asap. In my own experience, things turn sour very quickly, and if you haven't planned thing ahead, you find yourself in a situation you can't handle.

Reply #20 - February 07, 2014, 01:02 PM

I live in Europe.
    I'm so afraid to tell my parents even though they'll be happy,,, I feel ashamed.
     Reply #21 - February 07, 2014, 02:16 PM

There is nothing to be ashamed of, in the future you can have an honest conversation with yourself and with your parents why you converted. They will understand.

Reply #22 - February 08, 2014, 03:57 AM

Why do you feel ashamed?

Reply #23 - February 08, 2014, 09:03 PM

I'm ashamed because i know how stupid i was to be in this religion... But i also worry i'll meet muslim ladies that i know and they'll ask questions and criticise me...
     Reply #24 - February 08, 2014, 09:11 PM

Don't be ashamed, be glad that you have a head to come to your senses and leave this sect! We are not the first, nor the last, to be duped into believing in fairy tales. It's easy in a world where we don't know where to belong.

The word is already out that I have left Islam, though I was quite the "figure" in da'wah for Muslim ladies in my community. I even had a blog where I expressed my Muslim feminist views Roll Eyes I don't feel ashamed, I am proud that I left not wasting my entire life on this. You have two little kids, make sure you teach them the best way you can so that they won't make the same mistakes as you did.

Reply #25 - February 08, 2014, 09:13 PM

You need to be proud of yourself. People who willfuly choose ignorance because of their fears, are the ones who should be ashamed.
     Reply #26 - February 08, 2014, 09:13 PM

You are not stupid. You are not in Islam. If being Muslim makes you stupid, then that is a very large club, and most of us in this forum have belonged to it.

It is embarrassing, I was a convert to Islam for seventeen years, and I understand how you feel.
    But your children have such a better future, now that their mother has a clear vision.
    Rejoice in it, and straighten your back. You saw through Islam. Someone I know claims that it takes genius and guts to do that. You know how bad the pressure is. Be proud of who you have the bravery to become, and be free. You are free, this is huge!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #27 - February 08, 2014, 09:14 PM

What three said!  Afro

Reply #28 - February 08, 2014, 10:02 PM

I even had a blog where I expressed my Muslim feminist views Roll Eyes

Link?

Reply #29 - February 08, 2014, 10:16 PM

LOL it's in Swedish, you still want it Roll Eyes

• 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »