Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: N. Ireland - 'Blasphemous' Play Cancelled

(Read 3360 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • N. Ireland - 'Blasphemous' Play Cancelled
     OP - January 23, 2014, 07:59 PM

"A play in Northern Ireland has been cancelled after Christians claimed it was blasphemous.

The Bible: The Complete Word of God (Abridged) was due to be staged in the Theatre at the Mill in Newtownabbey on the northern outskirts of Belfast later this month.

In a move dismaying freedom-of-expression campaigners, a Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) led council decided to call it off amid strong opposition from religious conservatives.

Ulster Unionist mayor of Newtownabbey Borough Council Fraser Agnew said: “As the guardians of all that is right in society, we have got to take a stand somewhere - and that is what happened in this instance.”

The California-based Reduced Shakespeare Company’s production asked “Did Adam and Eve have navels? Did Moses really look like Charlton Heston (the Hollywood actor)?”

In its promotion for the play, the company added: “Whether you are Catholic or Protestant, Muslim or Jew, atheist or Jedi, you will be tickled by the RSC’s romp through old-time religion.”

A total of 800 seats were available over two nights and 150 tickets were sold, a 19 per cent take up.

The DUP has strong religious ties dating back to its association with the Rev Ian Paisley’s Free Presbyterian Church.

Its social mores include not working on a Sunday and strong opposition to abortion, while many members hold to a Creationist view of the universe.

A DUP-controlled council banned Monty Python’s Life of Brian several decades ago.

The DUP’s fundamentalist streak is not shared by all members, and Northern Ireland’s largest party has attempted to reach out to pro-Union Catholics in recent times.

The Arts Council is the umbrella funding body for Northern Ireland.

“It is disappointing to hear that Theatre at the Mill has been forced to cancel The Reduced Shakespeare Company’s production of The Bible: The Complete Word of God (Abridged),” a spokeswoman said.

“This is a production by an acclaimed international company.

“The Arts Council firmly believes in the artist’s right to freedom of expression and would always defend an audience’s right to attend a show and make up their own mind on its value and merit.

“Often art is challenging to society’s values, but it also allows space for discussion, debate and disagreement; this is its invaluable role and one which should be defended.”

Mr Agnew, a former Stormont Assembly member, recognised concerns about infringement on freedom of speech.

He said the artistic board overseeing the theatre had accepted the play was anti-Christian, but had considered whether it would apply a veto if the material concerned the Koran or other religious texts.

“Their concern is censorship - but we have got to draw a line somewhere, and drew it there,” he added.

Mr Agnew acknowledged that some people argued that the best form of censorship was not to attend, but said pressure on the council was applied by local Christians.

Sinn Féin councillor Gerry O’Reilly said the decision was the worst type of censorship.

“This is clearly an example of certain councillors forcing their religious views onto everyone else in the constituency,” he said.

“What the councillors are basically saying is that they can dictate what type of dramas people can view.

“This is censorship at its worst and I have not heard the like since The Life Of Brian was banned in Belfast 35 years ago in 1979.”

A statement from the council said its members received complaints from the public about the content and nature of the show.

“In taking this decision, the board wishes to confirm its commitment to deliver on the agreed council’s artistic policy to deliver the highest quality performing arts programme, offering a diverse, socially relevant and enriching experience to as many citizens as possible,” it said."

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/stage/2.636/unionist-led-council-cancels-play-parodying-the-bible-1.1665830

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #1 - January 23, 2014, 10:00 PM

The younger Irish are getting more and more sick of stifling religion. Watch that country, change is coming.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #2 - January 23, 2014, 10:29 PM

Its just the DUP up to their usual antics. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - January 28, 2014, 06:16 PM

The ban has been struck down, (surprise surprise).  Before the DUP branded it blasphemous, offensive and an abomination in the eyes of God there  were 150 tickets sold out of 800.  Now its practically sold out and their website crashed due to the demand for tickets from people in Northern Ireland.  

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

http://www.u.tv/news/Playwright-thrilled-as-sales-surge/917592a8-5fd0-410b-b5c5-2511bc49ca7f

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #4 - January 29, 2014, 01:37 AM

dance

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #5 - January 29, 2014, 01:40 PM

what a backward little place the north of ireland can be ( I call it the north of Ireland as opposed to what I consider the illegitimacy of Brit imposed state of   Northern Ireland ).

Only last week there was an Industrial Tribunal for a case brought by a protesant fellow who said he had been religiously offended by the fact that an article appeared in the company newsletter with pictures of some employees who had won a  Gaelic Football game. (Gaelic Football is considered to be an Irish sport thus synonymous  with Catholicism - I know,I know ). What had really upset the man was that they had refered to the stadium as  'hallowed ground' and so were attacking his religion- which is er...Christianity.

Thankfully sanity prevailed he lost his case and was described as  'oversensitive' by the tribunal.
    A bigot by any other name.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #6 - January 29, 2014, 03:50 PM

This Sunday's Irish edition of the The Sun, (I think), had a front page story about two male Gaelic footballers who have just come out of the closet and declared their love for each other.  They should put that story in their company news letter. 

Reply #7 - January 30, 2014, 08:13 PM

Can just see the pun headline "Gay-Lick footballers make perfect Match"

Sorry, was that too obvious? Apologies. Roll Eyes

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #8 - February 02, 2014, 11:55 PM

wee update:   The play was put back on by a rather embarrassed council. Pesky press publicity,bah !

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #9 - February 03, 2014, 12:36 AM

dance

Reply #10 - February 09, 2014, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the updates and your comments. Perhaps N Ireland is finally coming of age.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »