Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Religious clothing in schools

(Read 23797 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Religious clothing in schools
     OP - January 15, 2014, 03:47 AM

Well, I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep (Happens all the time) so I thought I'd pop on here.  Hello again! grin12

Wondering what everyone thinks about the tricky issue of religious (Especially Muslim) clothes in schools.  This is an issue I deal with.  I go to a non-Muslim school, but it's one that's very tolerant with Islamic dress.  My school even allows jilbab, which nobody other than me (Not even the Muslim girls who wear hijab) wears.  It has to be navy blue and worn under the school blazer.  In a way I kind of wish the school didn't allow it, I've been wearing jilbab all the time for over 2 years now (My dad's especially insistent) and them not letting me wear it would be a good excuse for me not to bother, as shallow as that sounds! Cheesy  I remember hearing something a while back about a girl who took it to court to wear jilbab to school.

But at the same time I wouldn't want to go the way of France banning even hijab in schools because that would be real tough on the Muslim girls who genuinely feel they need to wear it.  So, in short I'm pretty clueless on the whole thing Cheesy

What say you all on this?
  • Religious clothing in schoolsrE up
     Reply #1 - January 15, 2014, 04:23 AM

Could you post a picture?
    Idk.
    It's kind of hard when you still love your parents. Have ypu talked to them?

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #2 - January 15, 2014, 07:45 AM

A picture? Rather inappropriate to request a picture of a poster who appears to be of school age. Unless of course it was a tongue in cheek request.

As to the OP I would have an issue only with the 'niqab' if it obscured the face. Facial expressions are essential in determining learning, behaviour and identifying students. The jilbab I have Jo issue with. Clearly you do. Speak to your schools Child Protection Officer, your year manager or form tutor. We teachers have a duty of care to ensure your safety. It may not change your situation but it may encourage the school to review its uniform policy.

All the best.

Mods please look out for this one.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #3 - January 15, 2014, 10:13 AM

Cheesy

What say you all on this?

Safi., I am glad you are one heck of a happy girl., but I wish some one could hit on the head of your father and teach some basics of Islam to him.  He must be very insecure guy in his religion to force his daughter to wear the dress he likes not what his daughter likes..  It is Ok to suggest such dress code if some relative are visiting to a party.. but every day to school?  If I was his neighbor I would have put Two-piece Jilbab on him in  a hot summer day..

Well girl.,  you should be happy as long as he love you and pays for your school and college..  and buy EXPENSIVE Jilbab

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - January 15, 2014, 01:43 PM

A picture? Rather inappropriate to request a picture of a poster who appears to be of school age. Unless of course it was a tongue in cheek request.

I supppse it is inappropriate if you want to jump to conclusions.
    Of course I mean a picture of the jilbab. What else?  You don't even encourage an adult to post their pic unless it's totally something they're comfortable with.  But...
    Safi says
    Quote from: Safi
       It has to be navy blue and worn under the school blazer.

So when I look jilbab up on bing it looks like hijab with cap under it and it is all colours. So I'm thinking what is she talking about. Some people tall about different things if they are from different places using the same word. When I lived in Indonesia they the little white head covering the girls / women wear hijab. But also some would wear brown or black or batik same thing but different word. Anyhow it was very different from middle eastern women or girls. Yeezevee put up picture just like I saw when I looked on bing. Still not sure about under blazer. Perhaps the ends of the scarf mustn't flow.
    I've never seen such a thing. I wonder how comfortable it is for different weather. Especially warm and hot. Also does the structure of it interfer with hearing

Is it true that the unicorns extreme beauty causes it to become arrogant?

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #5 - January 15, 2014, 03:47 PM

I think the niqab should be banned in schools, universities can be expempted since they are grown women (higher education can actually help them de-radicalise), and hijab should not be allowed for girls under the age of 15.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - January 15, 2014, 05:49 PM

Don't worry everyone, I'm much too bashful to go posting pics of myself grin12

Well, having been doing some serious googling it seems that there are differing definitions of jilbab.  What the Indonesians call jilbab seems just like hijab to me.  What's always been jilbab to me has always been more of a long dress that you wear with hijab.  Having googled it, I saw about the girl who took it to court to wear jilbab to school, and what she was wearing is very much like I wear:

For school it's like that, just in navy blue, with a navy blue hijab and with the school uniform blazer worn on top of it.  Similar to what I wear outside school too, hijab and jilbab with a jacket over it.  Very fetching, eh?
     Reply #7 - January 15, 2014, 06:12 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

Very fetching, eh?

what is wrong with that dress Safi ? unless you are playing that basket ball or soccer.,   that is a good looking dress.,  I say all school kids in America should adopt that dress code., in winter it is perfect..

Reply #8 - January 15, 2014, 06:21 PM

I think the niqab should be banned in schools, universities can be expempted since they are grown women (higher education can actually help them de-radicalise), and hijab should not be allowed for girls under the age of 15.

No..nah..nah Cornflower ..

niqab should be banned from all public places  finmad   That is one heck of a scary picture on the street..

Reply #9 - January 15, 2014, 07:04 PM

I've only attended public schools in Canada which doesn't require a uniform or much rules in terms of what not to wear. Since grade 1, I've been wearing a hijab and a skirt (occasionally an abaya). I hate it. However, when my father is not in town, my mother would allow me to wear pants :p
    My mother and I started to wear a hijab during the same time. She doesn't like her hijab and she especially apposes the idea that a kid should wear one but my father believes it's necessary for all ages. I'm sure if hijabs were banned in Canada, I would have to go to another country Roll Eyes I don't believe wearing a hijab is an issue; I only disagree with niqabs/burqas. It's absolutely ridiculous.

turnipovich
     Reply #10 - January 15, 2014, 07:33 PM

Don't worry everyone, I'm much too bashful to go posting pics of myself grin12

Well, having been doing some serious googling it seems that there are differing definitions of jilbab.  What the Indonesians call jilbab seems just like hijab to me.  What's always been jilbab to me has always been more of a long dress that you wear with hijab.  Having googled it, I saw about the girl who took it to court to wear jilbab to school, and what she was wearing is very much like I wear:

(Clicky for piccy!)

For school it's like that, just in navy blue, with a navy blue hijab and with the school uniform blazer worn on top of it.  Similar to what I wear outside school too, hijab and jilbab with a jacket over it.  Very fetching, eh?

That's still nice! I know a lot of hijabis that rock a similar outfit and still looking fab. Even though I wear a hijab and a skirt/dress everyday, I always feel and look miserable. I especially feel odd because I'm usually the only hijabi girl in my school. I'm currently attending a university which contains a lot of hijabis and even niqab-wearing females which somewhat makes me feel a bit comfortable. I look less of a freak when they're around :p
    OP, this is all temporary. I promise one day, you can wear whatever you want Smiley

turnipovich
     Reply #11 - January 15, 2014, 08:14 PM

No..nah..nah Cornflower ..

(Clicky for piccy!)

niqab should be banned from all public places  finmad   That is one heck of a scary picture on the street..

Oh look , real life dementors !! Need to contact hogwarts , anybody got their number ?
     Reply #12 - January 15, 2014, 08:44 PM

You know what the most disgusting part is... Where I live, there was a kurdish couple who commanded their 7 year old to wear the niqab...which she did. My mom once saw her and almost started crying, but I couldn't believe it was true until I aksed a friend which she confirmed the truth of the story. They later moved from Sweden to god knows where. I feel so sorry for that little girl who will never be able to play and feel like a complete human being because of her parents disgusting religious beliefs. When my ex told me our daughter should permanently start wearing the hijab  when she starts school, I knew I had to leave asap.

I feel so liberated now that I don't need to cover myself anymore. Even when I was still a Muslim, the niqab had become an extreme burden the last 1-2 years and when I finally apostated I felt such an immense hate towards it. I personally would like to ban it because there is no positive thing about it whatsoever, irregardless what niqabi lovers say. However, I find it problematic to dictate for grown women what and what not to wear, so I am a bit ambivalent in the matter. On one hand, I support the niqab-ban, on the other I don't.

Imagine that you can't even go outside like a normal person and eat or drink without it being a project to complete. Imagine that you never feel the sun or the wind on your face, and even if it is scorching hot outside you move around in your personal portable sauna. You are not an individual, unique. You are a black blob without an identity.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #13 - January 15, 2014, 08:48 PM

Oh look , real life dementors !! Need to contact hogwarts , anybody got their number ?

Hmm.. hawk is dangerous bird.. lol..  

what number?  you want the telephone number of a person who walks all the time in Niqab  codehawk?  becareful you don't know what is there under Niqab.

read it

You are a black blob without an identity. ...Cornflower

Yap...........  idiots take silly statements from some fools who wrote some nonsense in 9th  century and force that on women folks in 21st century..

Imagine that you can't even go outside like a normal person and eat or drink without it being a project to complete. Imagine that you never feel the sun or the wind on your face,  ...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZgzQjIDTic

fools...

Reply #14 - January 15, 2014, 09:03 PM

That actually looks really nice!

Reply #15 - January 15, 2014, 09:06 PM

Yap   Safi looks nice in that picture..lol..  kidding  Safi ....

but look at this Sir Wankalot..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B36yZUbd8ZM

Crazy....

Reply #16 - January 15, 2014, 09:15 PM

I feel so liberated now that I don't need to cover myself anymore. Even when I was still a Muslim, the niqab had become an extreme burden the last 1-2 years and when I finally apostated I felt such an immense hate towards it.

This is a bit irrelevant but I have a question. Was it a struggle taking off your niqab? I'm leaving my family this week so I will finally be liberated from my father's control. In spite of that, I somewhat have a strong fear of removing my hijab or no longer covering up :/ Even though I hate wearing a hijab, I can't picture myself removing it.

turnipovich
     Reply #17 - January 15, 2014, 09:16 PM

I supppse it is inappropriate if you want to jump to conclusions.
    Of course I mean a picture of the jilbab. What else?  You don't even encourage an adult to post their pic unless it's totally something they're comfortable with.  But...

Why so defensive? Didn't jump to conclusions since you didn't specify 'picture of a jilbab' which you can google in seconds.

Looking out for other members and reinforcing sensible rules takes precedence over hurt feelings I'm afraid.

(Clicky for piccy!)

niqab should be banned from all public places  finmad   That is one heck of a scary picture on the street..

Which one are you Yeezy?  Tongue

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #18 - January 15, 2014, 09:18 PM

what she was wearing is very much like I wear:

(Clicky for piccy!)
    Very fetching, eh?

Looks rather elegant...should you choose to wear it. Would you choose to wear it sometimes or are you desperate to burn your jilbab(s)?

Reply #19 - January 15, 2014, 09:19 PM

Yeez is the one with the red cloth just below the veil. That Yeez is a rebel after all.
     Reply #20 - January 15, 2014, 09:35 PM

This is a bit irrelevant but I have a question. Was it a struggle taking off your niqab? I'm leaving my family this week so I will finally be liberated from my father's control. In spite of that, I somewhat have a strong fear of removing my hijab or no longer covering up :/ Even though I hate wearing a hijab, I can't picture myself removing it.

It feels wonderful, but I've been outside 3 times since I took it off and I've had anxiety attacks every time even though they only lasted a couple of minutes. It's the indoctrination, it's the shame and guilt we were brain washed with. I know I'll eventually get over it, and the "rewarding" feel I have outweighs the short lived guilt attacks.

I felt the same way sbout picturing yourself. But you know what, it doesn't matter. Once you take it off, it will feel FAR more naturalthan any cloth you've covered your hair and face with.

Reply #21 - January 15, 2014, 09:42 PM

Looks like a penis.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #22 - January 15, 2014, 09:59 PM

It feels wonderful, but I've been outside 3 times since I took it off and I've had anxiety attacks every time even though they only lasted a couple of minutes. It's the indoctrination, it's the shame and guilt we were brain washed with. I know I'll eventually get over it, and the "rewarding" feel I have outweighs the short lived guilt attacks.

I felt the same way sbout picturing yourself. But you know what, it doesn't matter. Once you take it off, it will feel FAR more naturalthan any cloth you've covered your hair and face with.

I'm excited but scared shitless lol. I know it will definitely be worth it! Smiley

turnipovich
     Reply #23 - January 15, 2014, 10:02 PM

Looks like a penis.

Hater Cheesy

turnipovich
     Reply #24 - January 15, 2014, 10:08 PM

It feels wonderful, but I've been outside 3 times since I took it off and I've had anxiety attacks every time even though they only lasted a couple of minutes. It's the indoctrination, it's the shame and guilt we were brain washed with.

I know the feeling.  I've had an anxiety attack when I thought I had some hairs showing!

Looks rather elegant...should you choose to wear it. Would you choose to wear it sometimes or are you desperate to burn your jilbab(s)?

I suppose that jilbab is quite nice, I like the colour.  I'll have to look for one like that.  I have such mixed feelings with jilbab (And hijab in general).  Sometimes I feel a yearning for burning but I know that I'd feel naked if I went out without it.

Looks like a penis.

Cheesy
     Reply #25 - January 15, 2014, 10:09 PM

You should see how I wear the hijab
    Messed up  Cheesy
    I'm excited but scared shitless lol. I know it will definitely be worth it! Smiley

Lol good luck Miaaa and take the hijab off as soon as you leave  Wink
    Burn it!
     Reply #26 - January 15, 2014, 10:18 PM

^ I want to make a bonfire and burn all of my Islamic belongings Cheesy
    Or maybe just sell them lol

turnipovich
     Reply #27 - January 15, 2014, 11:16 PM

^ I want to make a bonfire and burn all of my Islamic belongings Cheesy
    Or maybe just sell them lol

Nooooooooo.

don't do that  wash them press them and  Donate..... ship it away ., There are plenty of unfortunate Muslim folks in this world.. specially women  who are poor and whose husbands threw them out for one or other reasons..

Reply #28 - January 15, 2014, 11:59 PM

Grin
    Donation is a better idea. Saves time and money (I would be fined if I started a bonfire anyway...)

turnipovich
     Reply #29 - January 16, 2014, 12:19 AM

Which one are you Yeezy?  Tongue

Yeez is the one with the red cloth just below the veil. That Yeez is a rebel after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLJw9oCy5VA

• 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »