Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My story of leaving Islam

(Read 4518 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My story of leaving Islam
     OP - December 31, 2013, 10:26 PM

Hello everyone, I have been lurking around this site for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and join in the discussion here. I'm a 30 year old closeted Ex Muslim. I was born and raised in Saudi Arabia to a very religious family. My father studied Shariah there and I was also brought up with a very heavy Islamic education, which continued even after moving to the United States. During my teenage years I was very active in Qur'an and Hadith memorization and gaining Islamic knowledge out of my own initiative and even planned on following my father's footsteps and studying in Saudi Arabia.

However at age 18, I had a change of heart. I was also very much interested in politics and in a post 9/11 world I was motivated to study Political Science with the goal of going to law school, with the goal of working for Muslim civil rights. I entered college still a devout and practicing Muslim. It was my time in College that gradually changed me, being exposed to different ideas in philosophy and political thought I had a hard time reconciling my religious beliefs with my changing political and philosophical ideas. 
    Towards the end of my time in undergrad I was already questioning my faith but no where close to being an atheist. In fact in law school I become even more devout and active in the MSA on campus.

Being an avid reader and always curious I picked up Richard Dawkins' book the God Delusion, which later led me to read Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens as well. At this point I was probably 80 percent there. Surprisingly though it was when I met another student from Saudi Arabia that things changed. When I first met this fellow I thought he was religious, he had the big beard of a religious Muslim. He also very well read when it came to Islam. We became friends and enjoyed talking philosophy. he enjoyed discussing some fairly controversial issues in Islam and liked to ruffle the feathers of our other Muslim friends. However I never suspected that he had any doubts in the religion.

Over the summer of my first and second year in law school something changed though. I dont know what happened but my friend came back from Saudi a different man. He was more open with me about wanting to try new things like drinking. I was already drinking by then but he didn't know it and it was a bold move on his part. He just started order drinks around me and some of our more trusted Muslim friends.  So eventually I came out as well and we started going out drinking together. Picture two guys sitting at a bar speaking Arabic, one with a big beard, I'm sure it was a sight to be seen. One day out at a bar over drinks we started talking about the problems with Islam today, as the drinks kept coming we became more and more bold until eventually I just blurted out that I don't think Allah exists. To my surprise he agreed with me which led us to a long discussion of why we lost our faith.

After that day he began sharing the books he had read in Arabic by authors like Abdulrahman Al-Qassimi and Arabic atheist and freethinker sites like ladeenyon.com and el7ad.com. It was those sites that really changed everything for me. Here were people who knew more about Islam then 90 percent of the people I knew and they had left Islam. By the time I graduated from law school my faith in Islam and belief in the existence of God was completely gone. That was 4 years ago. Today I'm still a closeted atheist but I am finding it hard to continue living this way.
     Reply #1 - December 31, 2013, 10:31 PM

Welcome!  parrot bunny

Great intro. What part of Saudi Arabia are you from?
     Reply #2 - December 31, 2013, 10:47 PM

Thank you. I'm from Makkah.
     Reply #3 - December 31, 2013, 11:07 PM

Nice intro! Can you explain some of the reasons why you left Islam?
     Reply #4 - January 01, 2014, 12:10 AM

parrot

Welcome!

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #5 - January 01, 2014, 12:57 AM

Türkçe konuşuyor musun?
     Reply #6 - January 01, 2014, 01:24 AM

Ah, finally you have arrived. We've been expecting you.

Welcome home.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #7 - January 01, 2014, 01:36 AM

Welcome. Have a parrot. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - January 01, 2014, 01:38 AM

Thank you for sharing and welcome.

parrot
     Reply #9 - January 01, 2014, 02:34 AM

avukat, thank you for joining the forum, and thank you for sharing your story with us, it is fascinating and very rich in experience.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #10 - January 01, 2014, 02:34 AM

Makkawi? Hala. Ana amreeki bas 3isht fatrah fil madinah.
     Reply #11 - January 01, 2014, 03:21 AM

Congrats on getting out of Makkah and coming to the U.S.

Have a welcome parrot ! parrot

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #12 - January 01, 2014, 03:23 AM

Makkawi? Hala. Ana amreeki bas 3isht fatrah fil madinah.

Cheesy totes talking arabic!

welcome avukat! grin12

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #13 - January 01, 2014, 03:51 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. As for why I chose to leave Islam, the answer to that question will require a longer post then I have time for tonight, but I promise to take the time to answer it as soon as I can.

happymurtad- ya hala feek, na3am ana makkawi. kam jalast fe al-madinah?

schizo- evet, biraz turkçe konuşuyorum Smiley

Reply #14 - January 01, 2014, 04:14 AM

Jalast akthar min tis3a sanawaat fil khaleej wa takharjt fi jaami3at al Islamiyya bil madeenah.... But your English is perfect too! It's really great to have you here!
     Reply #15 - January 01, 2014, 04:56 AM

Indeed.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #16 - January 01, 2014, 05:40 AM

Welcome and enjoy a happy kuffar 2014  parrot
     Reply #17 - January 02, 2014, 04:26 PM

Hi avukat Smiley

Welcome - have a piggy as well: piggy

That is some interesting story you have there! Thanks for sharing it Smiley Looking forward to see more from you.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »