Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Andrew Solomon: Depression, the secret we share

(Read 5847 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Andrew Solomon: Depression, the secret we share
     OP - December 18, 2013, 06:55 PM

Andrew Solomon: Depression, the secret we share
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eBUcBfkVCo
    "The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality, and it was vitality that seemed to seep away from me in that moment." In a talk equal parts eloquent and devastating, writer Andrew Solomon takes you to the darkest corners of his mind during the years he battled depression. That led him to an eye-opening journey across the world to interview others with depression -- only to discover that, to his surprise, the more he talked, the more people wanted to tell their own stories.

One of the foremost problems I had when I was depressed was an inability to describe what I was feeling. I was so lethargic and withdrawn from the world for so long that I'd forgotten how to describe things with words. Even my internal dialogue was groggy, blurry, disjointed, unprocessed, a string of false starts. When my therapist asked the simplest of questions I'd struggle with an answer. There was no clarity of thought to draw from. All of the symptoms conspired to make a fool of me, to make me numb and dumb.

I was watching this lecture and I was astonished by how much clarity depression is described with. I'm still processing it. I feel exposed and paralysed by the truth of it, but at the same time elated and in awe. And thankful. Thankful that people care enough and are brave enough to describe it. Because I know how much it takes out of you to try.

Anyway, I thought I'd share it. Perhaps someone else will find a thing or two in it to take away. I feel like it's important and meaningful.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #1 - December 18, 2013, 08:41 PM

Even my internal dialogue was groggy, blurry, disjointed, unprocessed, a string of false starts.

This is startling as a description of the paralysis of depression.

Thanks for sharing this.

far away hug

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - December 18, 2013, 08:52 PM

I like TED.

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #3 - December 18, 2013, 11:43 PM

"The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality, and it was vitality that seemed to seep away from me in that moment."

I choose not to consider myself depressive, but there are moments (as now) when life sucks the vitality from my very bone marrow.

Getting moving restores vitality. Getting moving is hard without vitality.

In my case it's more of a long trench than a deep pit, so I can always see brightness and beauty, even if I can't quite snare it. It must be hell finding oneself in a deep pit.
     Reply #4 - December 19, 2013, 12:06 AM

This is startling as a description of the paralysis of depression.

I don't envy therapists, trying to communicate with a depressed person.

Reply #5 - December 19, 2013, 01:18 AM

Getting moving restores vitality. Getting moving is hard without vitality.

That's it in a nutshell.

It's like, when you're alive you have that natural momentum. You're eating regularly, consuming fuel, you're plugged into the world, part of something, immersed in that causal, sensory, experiential, interpersonal soup. You're active, you get tired, you sleep and recharge and heal, you wake up and carry on the next day. Life is the aggregate of all the moving parts, vigour that arises from the biological machine being active, perpetually-refining itself. Life is a dynamo. You keep pedalling and the light stays on.

Depression for me was the momentum of life grinding to halt and the vital essence of living becoming stagnant. The momentum stopped. Routine activity stopped. I was unplugged from the world for too long. Suddenly you look around and the world has moved on without you. Everything is further away, everything is harder to do. It's like being paralysed and having to learn to walk again. Things that came naturally and unconsciously take on a daunting and impossible shape, or slip away entirely. Things that you didn't previously need to think about, now must be thought about and concentrated on to even begin. It's exhausting when even the smallest of tasks become gruelling, and where there is no joy or meaning to any of it. Just cold logic and narcosis.

It is possible to start the momentum up again though. It took a long time for me. I needed lots of help. As trite as it is to say, it was nevertheless so very true: the first step was the hardest, and it did get easier.

Depression is in me now. Maybe it has been there all along. But my momentum is going strong again, affording me all those options and avenues I enjoyed carefree once upon a time - energy and ambition, joy and pain instead of apathy and numbness, appetites, interests, optimism, meaning, honour, dignity, self-esteem, expression, confidence, destiny. I sometimes wonder if it'll all come crashing down again, if it's all just a sham, a precarious conceit, just piecemeal self-help mantra and contrived coping mechanisms, a finite exercise or experiment, not the real me, not my real mind. I don't allow myself to indulge those thoughts, though. That way lies insanity. Whatever this is, I'll take it. This is good enough for me, more than I could have hoped for. When those demons come for me, I'll make sure I'm ready.

Reply #6 - December 19, 2013, 02:43 AM

It's exhausting when even the smallest of tasks become gruelling, and where there is no joy or meaning to any of it. Just cold logic and narcosis.

my biggest problem sometimes

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #7 - December 22, 2013, 06:31 PM

deleted

Reply #8 - February 23, 2014, 04:55 AM

Ohh, I missed this. Good post.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »