Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Defending Lejla Kuric

(Read 45479 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     OP - December 15, 2013, 12:23 PM

Lejla Kuric is a Bosnian Muslim who lives in Manchester, England.

She believes in secularism, feminism and the principles enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. As such, she disagrees with those who seek to restrict Women’s Rights in the name of religion, and is very active in opposing cultural relativists and Islamists.

We disagree with Lejla Kuric on many issues. She is a believing Muslim. We are apostates. Despite this, Lejla has openly supported our right to leave and be critical of Islam, and has done that despite facing criticism and abuse from some Muslims for doing so. We consider her to be a brave and principled person.

Lejla is also a survivor of the anti-Muslim genocide in Bosnia. Which makes it all the more remarkable and perverse that following the publication of an article by a Hizb ut Tahrir representative by the website Writers of Colour, she was described by the twitter account of that site in the following terms:

“I have blocked that woman as she is an Islamophobe who abuses Muslims on the internet”

Lejla earned the wrath of this website by pointing out that Hizb ut Tahrir are a group who say that gays and apostates deserve to be killed, who are classified as a fascist Hate Group by the anti-Nazi activists Hope Not Hate, and for saying that they should be confronted about their extremist, racist, misogynistic and murderous hate.

We take for granted that liberal Muslims and Exmuslims who oppose Islamist extremism are betrayed by some cultural relativist liberals. This is pretty par for the course. But describing a Muslim survivor of the anti-Muslim genocide in Bosnia in these terms simply because she points out how Hizb ut Tahrir are a fascist, murderous, extremist group is striking for being a low point in a large field of low points.

We stand with Lejla Kuric, a brave, principled and brilliant defender of Universal Human Rights and secularism against all forms of extremism, and we lament the ethical failure of some liberal, left wing cultural relativists.

• Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #1 - December 15, 2013, 12:38 PM

@WritersofColour have been AWOL from Twitter since yesterday. No apology, no retraction.

What charming people.
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #2 - December 15, 2013, 01:00 PM

...and there was I thinking them lot were starting to wake up.

A bit.
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #3 - December 19, 2013, 10:36 PM

I'm pretty sure this is the writers of Colour website. here http://mediadiversified.org/2013/12/12/gender-segregated-seating-why-the-uproar/

It's pretty ironic how a website claiming to be in support of diversity has a writer supporting gender segregation.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #4 - December 19, 2013, 11:13 PM

Yup.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #5 - August 11, 2015, 08:47 AM

Just stumbled across this...

I didn't know that WOC had said that about Lejla Kuric, how disappointing. But I often struggle with them. I love their website and find much of what they say essential reading but they seem to be blindly supportive of Islam and all Muslims, regardless of context.

I've tweeted objections to some of their pieces, like when they refused (it seemed to me, anyway) to be critical of Islam after the Charlie Hebdo attacks, and mostly recently after they published an article lambasting the 'Western' response to 'honor' abuse, which was scathing of the film The Honor Diaries. It claimed 'honor' based violence is no different to the violence white men inflict on white women.

While I agree that the root cause of all 'honour' abuse is the same (misogyny), we need to be willing to discuss the specific cultural and religious issues that lead to abuse in different communities. For many perpetrators I'm musl communities it will be misogynistic interpretations of Islamic doctrine that enable the dehumanization and abuse of women.

It's really frustrating that an organization with such an important message is effectively whitewashing (!) the problems and complexities of Islamic culture.
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #6 - August 11, 2015, 08:48 AM

Gah, typos galore
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #7 - August 11, 2015, 09:23 AM

Same as hope not hate joining Andy Choudary's ilk in protest against ex-muslims and One Law For All. They see someone who isn't white and christian, or white and atheist, and automatically offer support. If someone who isn't white objects, they see if they think it sounds like something a white person or a non white person would say, and act accordingly.

These are the types to stick up for FGM as it's only happening to the darkies and that's what they like to do but would scream blue murder if if happened to a white girl and the police and social services weren't kicking the door down. Rights of the (white) child and all that.

Possibly unfair of me, but that's how it comes across.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #8 - August 11, 2015, 10:25 AM

Same as hope not hate joining Andy Choudary's ilk in protest against ex-muslims and One Law For All.

Link?

I only ask because HnH have rather clearly positioned themselves against Choudhary's lot, so this sounds.. odd.
  • Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #9 - August 13, 2015, 03:17 AM

Just looked it up. My mistake, it was unite against fascism.

http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/faq/

http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/uaf-letter/

http://maryamnamazie.blogspot.com/2011/10/unite-against-facism-is-anti-fascist-in.html

• Defending Lejla Kuric
     Reply #10 - May 11, 2017, 11:29 PM

I saw her in our Bosnian group of Atheists in facebook. I guess she is still muslim because she doesn't know much about Islam. Most muslims in Bosnia are not religious but they are still believe that Islam is the religion of peace or something like that. For example this girl on the women's march claims she is a feminist and muslim at the same time. But the truth is that she doesn't know much about Islam.

http://www.sarajevotimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ayla-Heder.png
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »