Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: By Mona Eltahawy

(Read 3288 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • By Mona Eltahawy
     OP - December 21, 2013, 01:45 PM

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/04/23/why_do_they_hate_us#sthash.Vyuz42b6.joQIbhnO.dpbs

I don't know if this was already mentioned on here, it is from the spring of 2012, but I believe the first featured photo is from the Green Revolution, years before.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #1 - December 21, 2013, 02:10 PM

That was so incredibly moving. Throughout I couldn't help but think of the muslim men and women in the west who defend such practises. I've always wondered if they'd feel the same way if they were born in that part of the world. Well, the men probably would.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #2 - December 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

The progressives insist that Islamic literature and sources are not being interpreted correctly, and then, if not that, they say that such attitudes towards women are a pollution from culture and not from Islam.

They know they are privileged to live in the West. But few acknowledge it.

• By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #3 - December 21, 2013, 05:44 PM

It baffles me that people actually think that "culture" and "religion" are two separate entities, as if one had nothing to do with the other. Contrary to this naive belief, religion is part of culture and culture is always affected by religious beliefs. They are constantly changing, mutually and interdependently, and the idea that there is a "pure" and "original" version of a religion is plain stupid. Islam is very much affected (duuuuuhhh!) by the arab culture Muhammad live in, which is evident by the fact that a lot of rulings in the religious rexts are only relevant to specific arab customs of that time (for example al dhihaar or relatives by "suckling"). So from the very start, Islam was never "free" from culture Roll Eyes

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #4 - December 21, 2013, 06:19 PM

It baffles me that people actually think that "culture" and "religion" are two separate entities, as if one had nothing to do with the other. Contrary to this naive belief, religion is part of culture and culture is always affected by religious beliefs. They are constantly changing, mutually and interdependently, and the idea that there is a "pure" and "original" version of a religion is plain stupid. Islam is very much affected (duuuuuhhh!) by the arab culture Muhammad live in, which is evident by the fact that a lot of rulings in the religious rexts are only relevant to specific arab customs of that time (for example al dhihaar or relatives by "suckling"). So from the very start, Islam was never "free" from culture Roll Eyes

I use this argument with cherry picking progressives, that Sahih Islam is the Arabi version from centuries ago, and the Taliban have it right, while cherry picking, themselves. Usually they are the most guilty of innovation, though they seem to have blinders on when you bring it up.

• By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #5 - December 21, 2013, 10:13 PM

I fell out of love with Mona a few years ago for the exact reasons you guys listed above.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
  • By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #6 - December 22, 2013, 12:49 AM

She is supportive of ex muslims on twitter unlike lots of liberal Muslims

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• By Mona Eltahawy
     Reply #7 - December 22, 2013, 01:13 AM

Don't have twitter and at the time I knew of her, that wasn't something she publicized often. That's good though.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »