Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Anti-Alcohol Protest - London

(Read 10458 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Anti-Alcohol Protest - London
     OP - December 12, 2013, 01:36 PM

Muslim Sharia Believers to March Against Sale of Alcohol on Fashionable Brick Lane in London's East End

The Shariah Project, a London-based Muslim group, is to march through Brick Lane on Friday against the drinking and sale of alcohol along the nightlife spot.

Members of the group believe the consumption or selling of alcohol to be "sinful" under Islamic law and should be "strictly prohibited".

They hope that the rally, scheduled for the afternoon following Friday prayers, will illuminate the ills of alcohol.

Spokesman for the group Abu Rumaysah told the East London Avertiser: "There's a lot of problems in the area like anti-social behaviour caused by drinking and a lot of the Muslims are involved in selling alcohol in their shops."

He added: "The one who is not a Muslim is already going to hellfire. The one who drinks or sells alcohol God can forgive if he mends his ways."

Rumaysah added that hate preacher Anjem Choudary is one of its "mentors".

Abdul Muhid, a shopowner, said he contacted the Islamic group after the local council raised alcohol abuse as a problem in the borough.

"One of the problems in the recession is that people are depressed and some have hit the bottle," he said.

"My duty as a Muslim is to convince people of the ills of alcohol.

"In the Islamic teaching drinking and selling alcohol is a sin."

Dr Usama Hasan of the anti-extremist group Quilliam said: "In Islamic teaching you shouldn't drink alcohol but you can't impose Islamic law on other people. This is a democracy.

"To try to impose sharia by force, which is their stated aim, is completely stupid and against Islamic teaching."

Brick Lane in the heart of London's Bangaldeshi community is famous for its many curry houses.

Since the late 1990s, Brick Lane has become one of London's trendiest quarters and been the site of several of the city's best known night clubs, notably 93 Feet East and The Vibe Bar, both built on the site of The Old Truman Brewery, once the industrial centre of the area, and now an office and entertainment complex.

Last week, a judge at the Old Bailey heard that Jordan Horner, 19, Ricardo MacFarlane, 26, and a 23-year-old man who cannot be named for legal reasons had told one couple they could not hold hands while walking down the street because it was a Muslim area. They attacked a group of men drinking on the street and said that a woman would face "hellfire" for the way she was dressed.

The three were sentenced to 68 weeks, 12 months and 24 weeks in prison respectively.

The rally is scheduled to begin in Osborn Street before moving up Brick Lane to Bethnal Green Road.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/529044/20131210/sharia-muslim-group-march-brick-lane-sale.htm

And another story on this without the hellfire talk:

Muslim Anti-Alcohol Protest in Brick Lane: Hundreds to Target London Revellers

A planned march by Muslims against the sale and consumption of alcohol in the hip heart of east London has drawn "overwhelming support" from around the country, organisers have claimed.

Protesters intend to protest on Friday in Brick Lane, Tower Hamlets, by targeting shops selling alcohol in a street famous for its trendy bars and curry restaurants.

The demonstrators said that selling booze was un-Islamic and caused social problems.

But critics fear that the event by the Shariah Project will be yet another source of division in the borough.

In September, Tower Hamlets witnessed the anti-Muslim English Defence League trying to march against Islam. Last week, three men who were part of a bogus "Muslim patrol" were jailed for threatening and beating up people they claimed had breached strict Islamic rules on alcohol and dress.

Abu Rumaysah, spokesman for the Waltham Forest-based Shariah Project, claimed that groups of Muslims would come from as far away as the Midlands to take part in the demonstration.

He forecast a turnout of "hundreds" instead of fewer than the 50 first expected. Police would be surprised at the scale of the turnout, he predicted.

Rumaysah, 30, told IBTimes UK: "We've had an overwhelming response from people supporting us from all over the country. Lots of them say they are coming and we will have groups from Luton, Birmingham, Derby and Leicester. There's also a big Muslim community in Tower Hamlets, so there should be a good turnout."

He insisted it would be a peaceful protest and rejected accusations that it could create disharmony.

Shariah the solution

"It's not fair to say this will cause division," said Rumaysah. "The most damaging thing is the alcohol. If you go in to the hospitals you can see the damage it does. This is a rally which is happening because we see the shariah in the UK as the solution for many of the fundamental problems the community faces.

"We are not going to be fighting anybody. But it would not stop us from protesting peacefully if some people did oppose us." 

Politicians in the borough have condemned the event as "provocative". The leader of the Labour group on Tower Hamlets Council said that the march threatened to divide communities in the borough, which is one of the most diverse in the country.

"Everyone has a right to peaceful protest but I urge the Shariah Project to think carefully about the impact their actions will have," said Cllr Sirajul Islam.

"While Muslims may choose to abstain from alcohol, it is not right to forcefully push one view upon others. Provocative attempts to push a radical shariah agenda will serve only to widen the divide between our communities," he said.

Tower Hamlets council is working with police on a response to the march. A spokesman told IBTimes UK: "We are in conversation with the police to preserve community cohesion. We support community cohesion and would not want the actions of a small group to impact on this."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "An appropriate policing plan will be in place. We are not applying to the Home Office for it to be banned."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/529396/20131211/shariah-project-brick-lane-muslims-protest-friday.htm?

I'm genuinely concerned about the events in the media lately. From the sharia patrol to the Woolwich incident, the attempts of segregation and now this. I just see it recreating hostility towards muslims in general, and a building fear/belief that "they" want to force non muslims to comply with their religious views rather than live and let live. Fucking depressing.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #1 - December 12, 2013, 01:37 PM

While Muslims may choose to abstain from alcohol, it is not right to forcefully push one view upon others. Provocative attempts to push a radical shariah agenda will serve only to widen the divide between our communities

Sums up my feelings these past few days.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #2 - December 12, 2013, 05:20 PM

What about something like this:
    Anti-Islam protest 
    Oh is that offensive?

. "The most damaging thing is Islam. If you go in to the hospitals you can see the damage it does. This is a rally which is happening because we see the shariah in the UK as a result of many fundamental problems the community faces."
     Reply #3 - December 12, 2013, 06:44 PM

We do not have these kind of patrols in Sweden, yet. But there has been a couple of incidents where Muslim youth, by force and threaths, impose veiling and sabotage parties that are organized for teenegers and young adults (they keep themselves within the gettos)

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - December 13, 2013, 12:27 PM

And now this. Roll Eyes Took the link from toor in the shoutbox.

Department of Business Regulation Tower Hamlets

RE: YOUR LICENCE TO SELL ALCOHOL HAS BEEN REVOKED – DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER

Dear Business Owner This letter is legal notice that you have no legal permission to sell, serve or stock alcohol at your premises. If you are still stocking, serving or selling any alcoholic products beverages, you must cease immediately. Failure to comply with this notice to cease trading in alcoholic products is illegal and you will be liable to severe penalties as will be explained in this letter. Please note that you have no right to appeal this decision and you cannot apply for any further licences to serve alcohol on these premises or any other businesses you are associated with. You have been formally warned that you are breaking the

Prohibition of the sale of alcohol law

chapter 4, sect. 90The penalty for failing to cease drinking, serving or selling alcohol includes the curse of  Allah, punishment by hellfire in the afterlife and if found guilty in a shariah court following the establishment of the upcoming Islamic state you could be liable to forty lashes publically. of the Quran, which states: “Alcohol, gambling, divination of arrows are only abominations of satan, so leave it so that you can be successful.” And in the tradition of Muhammad recorded in Abu Dawood v.4 p.207, “Whenever Allah has prohibited a thing, it is prohibited to benefit from it or its outcome.” And in Musnad Ahmed, “Verily if  Allah has prohibited for people the consumption of a thing, He also has prohibited its sale.”  And in Tirmidhi No.2776, Anas ibn Malik narrated that “Allah's Messenger cursed ten people in connection with alcohol: the presser, the one who has it pressed, the one who drinks it, the one who conveys it, the one to whom it is conveyed, the one who serves it, the one who sells it, the one who benefits from the price paid for it, the one who buys it, and the one for whom it is bought.”

DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER

If you have any questions regarding this notice or if you would like more information about what to do next, please visit http://www.iqaamah.co.uk/legalnotice/ or you can contact us by  phone on 07956041034. For further information in Bengali contact 07939349760. Department of Business Regulation Tower Hamlets

http://www.theshariahproject.com/1/post/2013/12/shariah-compliant-legal-notices-to-be-given-to-muslims-selling-alcohol.html

Note the part about the upcoming islamic state? Who the fuck are these people anyway? They seem to just pop into existence at random.

Reply #5 - December 13, 2013, 12:31 PM

So who are the letters sent to? Who are these idiots? Why aren't the police doing something?!  mysmilie_977

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #6 - December 13, 2013, 12:38 PM

I don't fucking know. They stopped the EDL but decide not to stop this. Reminds me of when it was all over the papers the police didn't investigate crimes of raping underage white girls by Pakistani muslim men because there was a fear of being labelled racist.

Reply #7 - December 13, 2013, 01:08 PM

Bring on the idiocy. It'll drive secular-minded Muslims towards the middle, common ground.

Perhaps.
     Reply #8 - December 13, 2013, 01:20 PM

Hopefully.

Reply #9 - December 13, 2013, 01:35 PM

I don't think that Islam and  state are two separate things here in the UK.
     Reply #10 - December 13, 2013, 01:41 PM

It is, some of them just don't want it to be.

Reply #11 - December 13, 2013, 08:22 PM

So who are the letters sent to? Who are these idiots? Why aren't the police doing something?!  mysmilie_977

Sending stupid letters to business owners is not a criminal offence.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - December 13, 2013, 08:28 PM

"In the Islamic teaching drinking and selling alcohol is a sin."

I'll drink to that. Cheers!

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #13 - December 13, 2013, 08:29 PM

Intimidation is. I'd be curious to see where it would fall.

Reply #14 - December 13, 2013, 08:57 PM

These idiots have nothing better to do, do they? Jeez, England sounds scary.

"so now, if you leave (Allahu A?lam is you already have) what will u do??? go out and show ur body to all the men??? sleep with countless men?? maashaAllah if you think think this is freedom or womens right then may Allah guide you to that which is correct."
     Reply #15 - December 13, 2013, 09:03 PM

Nah, all we do is watch cricket, apologise endlessly and masturbate to online videos of tea. Harmless really.

Reply #16 - December 13, 2013, 09:46 PM

That may not be, but the heavy initial implication that they're acting on behalf of the Council (or, later, overriding its legal powers) strikes me as inviting scrutiny. That said, Tower Hamlets Council probably won't bother thinking that it's in its own interest to slap this down; their mayor (and various others) have invited scrutiny both here and elsewhere before.
     Reply #17 - December 13, 2013, 10:03 PM

No but I remember reading them referring to LAWS and clauses that are not part of our actual code of laws. Are they accepting a parallel societies.

Reply #18 - December 13, 2013, 10:07 PM

Well, it was a flop. Just seen these two articles. Everyone's mate Andy showed up with a megaphone and gave some of the usual choice words, but the whole thing was nothing to write home about.

Protesters demanding a ban on alcohol being sold in the curry capital of London have marched in Brick Lane.

A group of 30 Muslims marched along the street renowned for its bars, clubs and curry houses. They were led by radical preacher Anjem Choudary who used a megaphone to accuse restaurants and shops of breaking strict Islamic law.

The event organised by the little known Shariah Project, based in Waltham Forest, drew a small counter-demonstration by English nationalists.

A brief stand-off took place between the groups at Brick Lane's junction with Whitechapel Road, with the sides kept apart by police officers - who outnumbered both groups combined.

Choudary said Brick Lane was "a den of iniquity."

"The vast majority of Muslims are very secular. The shops are run by Muslims and they know they are selling alcohol and they know the sale and consumption of alcohol is completely prohibited," he said.

"The non-Muslims should be grateful alcohol is the cause of many crimes," he said. "We cannot live among the non-Muslims and see this evil take place."

But Choudary was shouted down by a passing Muslim who insisted that the self-appointed spokesman of Islam did not represent his faith.

Ahead of the march there had been fears that it would divide the Tower Hamlets community. But such fears appered unfounded as many local people distanced themselves from the protest.

The Metropolitan Police said no arrests were made. A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "The event passed off without incident."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/530056/20131213/muslim-islam-brick-lane-protest-alcohol-choudary.htm

Demands for alcohol to be banned from sale in Brick Lane have been firmly rejected by residents and businesses.

A march by an Islamic group is set to go ahead in the popular east London street which is famous for its curry restaurants and fashionable bars.

The Shariah Project claims selling alcohol in the area with a large Asian population is un-Islamic and a cause of social problems, spokesman Abu Rumaysah told IBTimes.co.uk.

Critics have condemned the event on  Friday and "provocative," with the potential to divide communities. Local businesses and residents were united in rejecting the march.

George, a student, said: "You're living in a dreamland if you say alcohol shouldn't be sold, as there's a market for it. It's silly to think to it's not going to be on offer.

"The nightlife around here influences all the fashion and things that go on around here and it's an important factor in it's status.

Julia, a local resident, said: "Why pick on Brick Lane? It is so historic and everyone comes here to party."

The Shariah project claim boozing in Brick Lane is responsible for a range of problems from anti-social behaviour to hospital admissions. But that was contradicted by local businesses, who claimed behaviour if anything has improved in recent years.

Shop owner Ahmed said: "I've lived in Brick Lane in my life and I've just seen people having fun and that's it. I reckon people are more civilised now and know not to do that. There's less anti-social behaviour."

Restaurant manager Gazi said a booze ban like Shariah Project want would hit businesses hard.

He said: "Our customers come down to Brick Lane can have a drink and enjoy themselves. We do not have any trouble with alcohol at all."

If the customers had to go somewhere else to drink it would have a big impact on sales.

No bid has been made by police to ban the march by the Shariah Project. A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "An appropiate policing plan will be in place.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/muslim-anti-alcohol-protest-brick-lane-39-living-184144673.html#n1ATBXt

I feel better. Smiley

Reply #19 - December 13, 2013, 10:21 PM

That may not be, but the heavy initial implication that they're acting on behalf of the Council (or, later, overriding its legal powers) strikes me as inviting scrutiny. That said, Tower Hamlets Council probably won't bother thinking that it's in its own interest to slap this down; their mayor (and various others) have invited scrutiny both here and elsewhere before.

Well, I've learned something new. Happy to see no one was fooled.

Reply #20 - December 14, 2013, 01:37 AM

"The non-Muslims should be grateful alcohol is the cause of many crimes," he said. "We cannot live among the non-Muslims and see this evil take place."

Generalization much? Switch a few words around I would bet there would be an uproar about it from these Muslims.
     Reply #21 - December 14, 2013, 01:41 AM

I'm also clueless as to what point he was trying to make.

Reply #22 - December 15, 2013, 02:07 PM

I'm also clueless as to what point he was trying to make.

I understood his point clearly. Alcohol leads to crime so is evil. Non-Muslims should acknowledge this evil and understand by allowing alcohol they also allow this "evil" to propagate these "crimes". Fight said evil will cure society of an illness. Ignore liberal/moderate application of "topic subject" in order to conform to views held beforehand. Removing alcohol will cure society of these "crimes". As I said if I switch a few words around I can make anything which is capable of inspiring or causing an evil act evil in form.

"Islam is used by terrorists as inspiration, they quote scripture in support of their action. God commanded X, Y and Z. Removing Islam will prevent terrorism"
    "Socialism creates lazy people. Remove socialism, there will be no lazy people"

It a simplistic argument made by a simplistic mind for simplistic listeners with simplistic minds. Aka Derp   idiot2
     Reply #23 - December 15, 2013, 02:16 PM

The bit that puzzled me was non muslims should be grateful alcohol is the cause of many crimes. Why? To prove the wickedness of it so they'll convert? Doesn't seem like what he's saying.

Why should we be grateful for something which causes rampant evil?

Then again, it's Andy Choudary. Roll Eyes

Reply #24 - December 15, 2013, 02:26 PM

The line is an attempt to remove part of responsibility of the individual in regards to the crimes committed. As if violent people wouldn't be violent if they didn't drink. It's not X person's fault it was that last beer they had. Be "grateful" these crimes bare no personal responsibility and the source is easily removed if you just follow X practice.

"I swear it wasn't my fault, his face ran into my fist!"
     Reply #25 - December 15, 2013, 02:35 PM

Ohh, okay. Came across to me in a different way.

Reply #26 - December 15, 2013, 03:06 PM

Alcohol is certainly a culprit in many crimes here. Just last week I saw a six pack of malt liquor and a huge bottle of Jack Daniels holding up a bowling alley, I think they are still at large.
    Sometimes, when you are just running errands from point A to point B, a large barrel of whiskey will stop your car and insist you open your mouth while it shoots a jet of hard liquor down your throat. You cannot resist, it will just follow you, bumping and rolling, and when it catches you, might hold you down and force you to imbibe all contents.

Hello? I thought people were the ones committing crimes? Thanks to the NRA for the inspiration.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #27 - December 15, 2013, 03:09 PM

Afro

Reply #28 - December 15, 2013, 10:52 PM

Alcohol is certainly a culprit in many crimes here. Just last week I saw a six pack of malt liquor and a huge bottle of Jack Daniels holding up a bowling alley, I think they are still at large.
    Sometimes, when you are just running errands from point A to point B, a large barrel of whiskey will stop your car and insist you open your mouth while it shoots a jet of hard liquor down your throat. You cannot resist, it will just follow you, bumping and rolling, and when it catches you, might hold you down and force you to imbibe all contents.

YOU ARE AWESOME!

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

YOU ARE AWESOME!

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #29 - December 16, 2013, 12:21 AM

YOU ARE AWESOME!

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

YOU ARE AWESOME!

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

Thank you, thank you. Please meet me here next week, for the second show. Bring your own beer, as there is no open bar. Check your keys at the door.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »