Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yayha Hassan

(Read 18408 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yayha Hassan
     OP - November 22, 2013, 10:35 PM

Meet Yayha Hassan

Yayha Hassan is 19 years old, born in Denmark but his parents are refugees from Palestine. As manny other kids wiht the same background, he grew up in the ghetto. Yayha was a victim of a violent and religious childhood. He became a troubled kid, one of those who get kicked out of school, end up in crime and thrown around from one youth institution to another. One day a teacher found out that Yayha was good with words.

Around one and a half month ago his book "Yayha Hassan" was published. It contains poems decribing his life.
    Just before his book was published there was an articel where he said something like I'm fuking angry with my parents generation. He is no longer a muslim and in one of his poems his call islam "Bedouin doctrine". He has won a prize for his book. Poems in Denmark normaly sell around 6000 if you are lucky, "Yayha Hassan" has sold over 40.000. He is one of the biggest storys at the moment and his book is now being translatet in to english.

Sadly this young man has since the beging resived death threats and last week he was physical  assulted by an islamist who called him kafir and hit him from behind. Now Yayha can't give a public talk without massive police protection and he need lifeguards 24 hours.

I wanted to post a picture of him but could not figur out how to do it. I know most of you don't understand danish but this this is a video of Yayha. (hope my english is understandable  Wink  )

So here you go meet Yayha Hassan  <3

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87SHkbA6wKI][/url]
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #1 - November 22, 2013, 10:58 PM

I heard about him a month or two ago, very powerful stuff. Thank you for sharing,. Smiley

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #2 - November 22, 2013, 11:08 PM

Poet's Vollsmose event going forward despite police concerns

Odense Council reverses course and decides to move ahead with Yahya Hassan's poetry reading and discussion despite threats of violence and chaos

Poet Yahya Hassan will be speaking Tuesday in the troubled Odense suburb of Vollsmose after all.

The 18-year-old, whose collection of poems has set off a nationwide debate about immigration and Islam, had expressed his disappointment that the sold-out event was cancelled after police said they could not guarantee public order.

“Who is it that protects this freedom of speech we talk so much about? The library, the police, Politiken, the authorities, the council, ministers and politicians keep talking about freedom of speech and say that it matters above all else," Hassan told Politiken newspaper. "And yet they don’t have the balls to go out to Vollsmose. It’s a damned admission of failure. It’s bullshit.”

But now Odense Council's cultural spokesperson Steen Møller has told Politiken that the event will take place.

"It hasn't been cancelled. We plan on holding the arrangement on Tuesday," he said. "We are currently looking for other locations in Vollsmose. Right now we are meeting with police to discuss the security aspects."

Police had strongly cautioned against the event. The chief superintendent of Fyens Politi, John Jacobsen, told Politiken that police recommended the event be moved from Vollsmose's library because police could not guarantee order and safety. Jacobsen denied that they were unable to protect Hassan but instead said that police feared that general chaos could break out.

"We can handle Yahya Hassan's personal safety at any location," Jacobsen said. "This is about the concern for public calm and order."

Quick rise to fame
     Hassan rose to national prominence after an initial column in Politiken newspaper critical of his parents' generation of immigrants That was followed up by a widely-seen appearance on the TV programme 'DR Deadline'. The attention he received led to an explosion in book sales and several speaking engagements. He has also been profiled by the Wall Street Journal and was honoured as the debut author of the year at a recent book forum. A translation of his poems into English is also underway.

The 18-year-old, who was born in Aarhus to Palestinian parents, was assaulted on Monday at Copenhagen Central Station by 24-year-old Isaac Meyer, who was convicted on terror charges in 2007 under the name Abdul Basit Abu-Lifa. Meyer admitted to attacking Hassan and witnesses say he called the young poet an "infidel" and that he "deserved to die". Meyer faces a potential three years for the assault.

When Hassan spoke at an event at Politiken's lecture hall, he was wearing a bulletproof vest due to the threats of violence that have followed him ever since his emergence on the national scene.

Asked by Politiken if we was concerned that he could be killed, he admitted he was.

"Yeah, it could happen. But so be it," he said. "You cannot protect against everything. It's important to get out into those areas [like Vollsmose]. It is important to talk about freedom of speech."

The decision to cancel the Vollsmose library event was met with severe criticism from many quarters and from Hassan himself.

“I’ve spoken with Politiken’s cafe latte segment, now I want to go out and talk to people with my background and from my generation,” he told Politiken. “What do I get out of 300 white people standing and clapping for me? I already know we agree. What about the others? It is them who I need to reach.”

http://cphpost.dk/national/poets-vollsmose-event-going-forward-despite-police-concerns

READ MORE: Young poet threatened after TV appearance http://www.cphpost.dk/national/young-poet-threatened-after-tv-appearance

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #3 - November 22, 2013, 11:13 PM

You are wellcome  Afro

Nice you found something in english  thnkyu
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #4 - November 22, 2013, 11:26 PM

And this Smiley

Five children lined up and a father with a club

Weeping and a pool of piss

In turn we stretch out our hands

For the sake of predictability

The sound when blows rain down

Sister jumping so quickly

From one foot to the other

The piss is a waterfall down her legs

First one hand forward then another

Are we not quick enough the blows will be indiscriminate

A blow a scream a number 30 or 40 sometimes 50

And finally a kick in the ass as we exit the door

He grabs brother at the shoulders stands him up

Goes on beating and counting

I lower my gaze and wait for my turn

Mother smashing plates in the staircase

While al-Jazeera transmits

Hyperactive bulldozers and resentful body parts

Gaza Strip in sunshine

Flags burned

If a Zionist will not recognize our existence

If we exist at all

When we hiccup our fear and pain

When we gasp for breath or meaning

In school we must not speak Arabic

At home we must not speak Danish

A blow a scream a number

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #5 - November 22, 2013, 11:31 PM

So here's a few lines from his TV appearance.

I piss on Allah and his messenger and on all his useless disciples

And this one about his father.

He made five children with bitter hearts/And found a new head scarf and made three more

Which was followed with this.

Young poet threatened after TV appearance

18-year-old Yahya Hassan has received death threats after he criticised the Muslim community in the media this week

After his appearance in the DR2 news programme Deadline this week in which he criticised Muslim parents, Yahya Hassan, an 18-year old poet of Palestinian descent, has received more death threats than any other guest in the show's history.

"He is going to fucking die! That's all there's to it," one commenter immediately wrote on Deadline's Facebook page, while another wants Hassan to "shoot himself before someone else does it". A third wrote: "I wish I had a bazooka, then he would have been gone a long time ago."

Deadline has deleted all the threatening comments and Hassan has reported the persons behind the comments to the police.

"Muslims say they are going to find me. That they are coming after me. But they can all come and get me if they want. I don't give a shit about these morons," Hassan told Jyllands-Posten newspaper.

Never so aggressive
     Deadline producer Heidi Robdrup said she couldn't think of any time in the show's history when the reactions were so aggressive.

"I don't recall that we have ever experienced such an angry debate after an episode," Robdrup told DR Nyheder. "Even though there are also many positive comments, most of the comments are highly critical. They especially accuse Hassan of lacking respect for his parents and his religion."

Betrayal by immigrant parents
     Hassan, who is studying at the writer's school Forfatterskolen, is publishing his eponymous collection of poems this month. He grew up in Aarhus and was removed from his home at the age of 13, after several years as a juvenile criminal.

Last weekend, he gained national attention after he, in an interview with Politiken newspaper, blamed Muslim parents, and not the state, for the fact that so many immigrants of his generation have become criminals. The article has already become Politiken's most shared article on social media this year, having been shared more than 85,000 times.

"As soon as our parents landed in the airport, it was as if they gave up their role as parents," he told Politiken. "Then we could watch our fathers passively rot on the couch with the remote in their hands, living off state benefits, accompanied by a disillusioned mother who never put her foot down. Those of us who dropped out of school, who became criminals and bums, we weren't let down by the system, but by our parents. We are the orphaned generation."

While Hassan's first book was originally meant to be printed in 400 copies, his publisher Gyldendal announced that given the recent attention the young poet has gained, they are going to publish 1,600 copies of the first edition.

http://www.cphpost.dk/national/young-poet-threatened-after-tv-appearance

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #6 - November 22, 2013, 11:35 PM

Halfway Thoughts | Roses are red, violets are blue, sorry Yahya, I don’t agree with you

Every summer, when schools shut down, parliament closes and all Danes really have to complain about is the lack of sun (or burning sun/wind/rain/heat – really any kind of weather is the type to complain about here), one topic is certain to come up: immigrants! Whether it’s their refusal to eat pork or insistence on circumcising their sons, the one place Danish media can find stories that will provoke and ignite all sides of the political spectrum is among immigrants. This summer was no different, except that the debate continued long into the autumn largely thanks to a young man named Yahya Hassan.

Hassan is an 18-year-old Dane of Palestinian origin who recently published a book of poems based on his upbringing in a Danish ghetto. He writes of the abuse he and his siblings suffered at the hands of their father: beatings, forced marriages, and a life lived in fear with parents who were more concerned about cheating the system or buying the best special offers than their children’s happiness.

Personally, I haven’t been moved by his poetic skills. I find his poems only slightly better than your average ‘Roses are red, violets are blue’ rhymes. But as with any other person who has lived through that kind of hardship and risen above it, I salute his courage to tell his story. It’s an important one that needs to be told. Just like Lisbeth Zornig’s story of molestation and negligence growing up in a small Danish village.

That is how I see Hassan. Just like Zornig, he tells a tale of hardship that no child anywhere should live through. Just like Zornig, he has been a victim of not only his parents, but of an entire community willing to overlook abuse. Just like Zornig, he has an important story that needs to be told. But also just like Zornig, he represents a minority that must not be mistaken for the majority. Unfortunately, that’s where I begin to feel nervous. Because while all Danes know that Zornig’s childhood isn’t the norm in Denmark, many think that Hassan’s is the norm among children of immigrants.

Hassan is in part to blame for the generalisations. He points his finger at an entire generation of Palestinian refugees who came to Denmark in the 1980s. And even though he has said that his accusations are only aimed at those who raised their children as he was raised, many people following the debate don’t make that differentiation. Hassan has said he sees himself as a poet and not as a voice in the greater integration debate. He may have thought that was possible before publishing his poems, but that possibility disappeared with his first interview. And now that his story has gone international thanks to the Wall Street Journal and he won big at last week’s book forum, he has become a prominent voice, like it or not.

But even if we pretend that he can actually be removed from the debate, plenty of others have grabbed the opportunity to once again criticise Muslim and Arab immigrants without making the distinction that Hassan has at least attempted to make. And that is what worries me.

I have to make it clear that I am in no way saying Hassan shouldn’t have published his poems. The threats made against him for voicing his critique only underline the point he has tried to make about a way of thinking based on violence. And I’m not saying that there aren’t any problems or that violence against children doesn’t take place in immigrant communities. It does. And it is a problem that too many people have been too afraid to address for too long. But as long as many, many families feel that they are under attack only because of their ethnicity, the debate will be a pseudo one, because none of the people who can actually do something will want to get involved. And if we want to change the lives of the Hassans of the future, they have to be.

http://cphpost.dk/cph-post-voices/halfway-thoughts-roses-are-red-violets-are-blue-sorry-yahya-i-don%E2%80%99t-agree-you

Left wing denial/apologist or valid point? Both?

Fav comment:

The article above is dismissive of the problem Yahya identifies.

It is right to ask Catholic officials, if the structure of the church allowed child abuse to take place.

It is right to ask fundamentalist Mormons about child marriages.

It is right to ask Danes about village culture that ignored child abuse.

These may be subcultures, but it is right to raise questions. Though, this should be done in a sensitive way.

Some cultures allow for children to be hit or beaten. How this is interpreted will differ. Some people will bring this with them to Denmark. One is not racist for asking these questions, particularly when one was a victim of it.

You can find modern Islamic sites that talk about modern liberal child care methods. You can also find more traditional sites that discuss discipline methods advocated by Mohammed.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WO...

http://shariaunveiled.wordpres...

With the justification for beating kids.

http://islam.stackexchange.com...

More positive

http://www.faqs.org/childhood/...

https://www.pinterest.com/amus...

So, we have various approaches to child care. However, the problem Yahya identifies is real and should not be dismissed.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #7 - November 23, 2013, 12:05 AM

I piss on Allah and his messenger and on all his useless disciples 

He made five children with bitter hearts/And found a new head scarf and made three more

some of my favorit lines  Afro

I think that many people just like him because they love the fackt that he criticize islam and muslims. And yes that is nice thing and I love that. But his poems are really great aswell  dance
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #8 - November 23, 2013, 12:12 AM

Would you be able to translate some of them?

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #9 - November 23, 2013, 12:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rx9adAgoWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZGi7riGnk

well that is Yayha Hassan

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #10 - November 23, 2013, 12:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_N1AES6fI

hmm   that is interesting...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #11 - November 23, 2013, 01:03 AM

I don't think I would be able to make it very well.

He just wrote a new one after assault on monday.

I have translated some of the lines

TWO mohammedans PASSING by

one dragging a head scarf

one with a beard

that grows with the speed of irreconcilability

They stare me down to iblis with iris (I love line  dance )

I turn my eys without paranoia  Roll Eyes

A gamian junkie do not take note of me

Looking for his next fix

I hug my girlfriend

A stone age knock in the back of the head

The girlfriendneck screems

Pulling in the infidel curls

I stricke back

But I'm thin and weak

And on rehab

A bit turmoil

DSB and the danes wraps us apart... (DSB is the starff at the train station)

Then the police shows up

Hold him down with handcuffs

He's licking the footprints and the cigarette butts

Then I come like a fagot

strikes the khalif on the jaw

we end up at the police station

Smiley

I did my best  Wink

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #12 - November 23, 2013, 02:31 AM

A translated excerpt from “LONG POEM:”

“You don’t want pork meat,
    may Allah praise you for your eating habits,
    you want Friday prayer till the next Friday prayer,
    you want Ramadan till the next Ramadan,
    and between the Friday prayers and the Ramadans,
    you want to carry a knife in your pocket,
    you want to go and ask people if they have a problem,
    although the only problem is you.”

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2013/11/ex-muslim-poet-in-denmark-barraged-with-death-threats-after-saying-islam-needs-reformation.html
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #13 - November 23, 2013, 02:44 AM

Nice. Any chance of more?

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #14 - November 23, 2013, 02:53 AM

I'll try

But now it's time for me to sleep (it's 3:52 am   lipsrsealed )

I used all night reading ex-muslim stuff to make my non faith stronger  Cheesy
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #15 - November 23, 2013, 02:54 AM

Mwuhahahaha, the dark side is strong in this one.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #16 - November 23, 2013, 03:24 AM

I'll try

But now it's time for me to sleep (it's 3:52 am   lipsrsealed )

I used all night reading ex-muslim stuff to make my non faith stronger  Cheesy

Good night Asiya, and thank you so much for the translations. I really appreciate it.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #17 - December 05, 2013, 12:56 AM

I think he is a kid without a proper world view. His experiences, surely, mostly are confined to the home and his education, given his age.
    But also I am sure he is getting more attention because his message is negative. No one likes "feel good" news. Negative, panicky news is what sells and is repeated, so some of how he comes across I am sure has to do with that.
    I remember being his age, I was very pessimistic and bitter, now, oddly enough, I am much less so.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #18 - December 05, 2013, 03:17 AM

They have had "insiders" before. This one is getting more attention. It would be nice if he drew a line, and claimed his art was separate. But for him, I don't think it is. He seems, or the media makes him out to be, consumed from the inside, and I cannot tell that there is a difference between him and his art.
    This is probably why he is being drug around like this. Some sort of boundary issue that I can't quite explain, between expression and the self.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #19 - December 05, 2013, 03:26 AM

He's using his poetry to express himself. It's not divorced from him because this really is how he feels. Doesn't mean this will always be the case.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #20 - December 05, 2013, 03:44 AM

Well, I get that. But I can't quite explain it. It's like there is not even that much distance, between expression of the self and the self.
    As if this is his entire identity.
    I am not the best at trying to explain my impressions.
    Perhaps it will get stale to him, rather than limiting him, and he will break free from the media frenzy.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #21 - December 05, 2013, 03:47 AM

From what little I know there seems to be huge social issues with muslims in that country. Maybe it'll serve to bring about some change.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #22 - December 05, 2013, 03:56 AM

There is a good history going back decades on it, and I can't tell where it will end up. Ayaan Hirsi Ali has even started something up over here, but it is in first stages, and does not seem to be of practical use yet.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #23 - December 05, 2013, 04:00 AM

I actually saw a copper on a documentary say a few years back all or nearly all sexual assaults/rape in Oslo that year (90%+) were committed by muslims. I mean, if that's true, what the fuck?

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #24 - December 05, 2013, 04:04 AM

That cannot be. That is a crazy percentage.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #25 - December 05, 2013, 04:06 AM

I thought that. It was a policewoman who said it.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #26 - December 05, 2013, 04:08 AM

Here one media fact that is always wrong on percentages is pit bulls. Every single dog attack is blamed on a pit bull or mix. Usually it is not. There is a sensationalism in claiming pit bull.
    It's weird, and always being debunked by dog adoption advocates.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #27 - December 05, 2013, 05:36 AM

Hmm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Sweden

Rape is one of the increasing crimes in Sweden. In 2003, rape prevalence was estimated at 24.9 per 100,000, in 2005 it was 36.8 and by 2008 estimation was 53.2.

Because of such rise, rapes in Sweden are widely regarded as the 2nd largest rapes in the world, by the prevalence, after South Africa.

Analysis

Different researches have been made, for knowing the reason behind such rise among rapes in the country. Lawyer Ann Christine Hjelm, investigator of sexual violence has found that an estimated of 85% of the alleged rapists were either foreigner or their parents born outside Sweden.

According to study of Crime Prevention Council, Brå, it is four times more likely that a known rapist is a foreigner, the foreigner or immigrants are usually from Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia.

So yes, it does seem to be true (at least for a figure of 85%).

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #28 - December 05, 2013, 05:55 AM

Here one media fact that is always wrong on percentages is pit bulls. Every single dog attack is blamed on a pit bull or mix. Usually it is not. There is a sensationalism in claiming pit bull.
    It's weird, and always being debunked by dog adoption advocates.

Most pit bill attacks are due to the owners ignorance or negligence. For that matter most dog attacks are due to these same kind of owners. I have had a pet dog every year of my life. None has never attacked anyone without my or my family's direct command. We have only needed to to do this once in a situation which completely warranted such an action.  Three adult males come on to our farm with only my mother and I present. They refused to leave the property. They made aggressive movement towards my mother. This was enough for me to order my dog to attack. The people my dog attacked fled the family's property ended up robbing and assaulting a senior citizen. No charges were pressed on the family or was my dog put down.
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #29 - December 05, 2013, 05:56 AM

Afro

• 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »