Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yayha Hassan

(Read 18463 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #30 - December 05, 2013, 07:05 AM

Y'know stats like those rape stats from Sweden make cries of Islamophobia a bit of a joke, at least in Sweden. From the point of view of most non-Muslim Swedes, probably about all they'll know about the Muslim immigrants is that they're responsible for rape stats going through the roof.

Obviously not all Muslim immigrants are going to be rapists, but it's a fair assumption that the ones that are rapists are coming from a culture that overtly or covertly supports their actions. So, in that sense, people wouldn't be entirely out of line to hold the immigrant communities and their attitudes to women responsible for the appalling increase in rapes.

In a situation like that, some people are going  to be complaining about "Muslims". It may not be the most nuanced complaint ever, but OTOH it's not exactly blind racism or "Islamophobia" either.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #31 - December 05, 2013, 07:50 AM

It's not just Sweden. Far as I know it's better here in the UK. I think more muslims feel this is their home than in other parts of Europe.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #32 - December 06, 2013, 12:42 AM

Y'know stats like those rape stats from Sweden make cries of Islamophobia a bit of a joke, at least in Sweden. From the point of view of most non-Muslim Swedes, probably about all they'll know about the Muslim immigrants is that they're responsible for rape stats going through the roof.

Obviously not all Muslim immigrants are going to be rapists, but it's a fair assumption that the ones that are rapists are coming from a culture that overtly or covertly supports their actions. So, in that sense, people wouldn't be entirely out of line to hold the immigrant communities and their attitudes to women responsible for the appalling increase in rapes.

In a situation like that, some people are going  to be complaining about "Muslims". It may not be the most nuanced complaint ever, but OTOH it's not exactly blind racism or "Islamophobia" either.

I found a site that claims it was all a sensationalism by Pamela Gellar.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/debunked-zionist-and-islamophobic-libel-rape-epidemic-muslims-norway

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #33 - December 06, 2013, 01:28 AM

According to recent official statistic, 100% of all assault rapes in Oslo were commited by individuals with non-european background. In Sweden, people from non-european background are over whelmingly overrepresesented in crime statistic, especially sexual crimes such as rape. Gang rapes are predominately a "foreign problem". Of course, this might sound "racist" or whatever. Sweden and Swedish (Scandinavia as a whole) culture holds very liberal views on sex, gender equality etc, so when a completely opposite set of norms and values that cannot/with difficulty adapt to its new setting, it's no wonder it leads to a "clash of cultures"...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #34 - December 06, 2013, 02:35 AM

So it is true? I found that site claiming it was all a hype by Pamela Gellar. This is awful.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #35 - December 06, 2013, 06:42 AM

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/11/06/death-threats-against-teen-poet-reignite-denmarks-muslim-debate/

Interesting article on him.

COPENHAGEN – Yahya Hassan was about 10 years old when cartoonist Kurt Westergaard attracted passionate criticism from Muslims world-wide with his cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb as his turban. It ran in a Danish newspaper.

Hassan – the 18-year-old son of Palestinian immigrants who are Muslims – is now creating his own brand of controversy in Islamic circles and elsewhere with a new book of poetry that was published in Denmark last month. The writing student’s self-titled book contains around 150 poems, many of which are severely critical of the religious environment he grew up in.

His book has been a surprise strong seller since it hit the relatively small Danish market Oct. 17, with 32,000 copies being sold in about two weeks. The publisher, Gyldendal, says books of poetry in Denmark are lucky to hit 500 copies. In televised interviews, Hassan has been anything but tempered in his comments about what he views as a culture of hypocrisy underpinning Denmark’s Muslim population. His words have prompted arguably the largest debate on religion in the small Scandinavian nation since the Westergaard cartoon.

Like Westergaard, Hassan’s safety is on the line.

After reciting one of his poems, titled “LANGDIGT,” or “LONG POEM,” (he writes in capital letters only) on a Danish television station a few weeks ago, he received 27 death threats and police are investigating what they perceive as the most serious ones.

Speakeasy caught up with Hassan about a week after his book was published. His black hair tied back in a ponytail, the young poet discussed his work as he worked through a pack of cigarettes.

At first glance, Hassan looks like a typical Danish teenager of Middle East origin. His white T-shirt is covered by an elegant dark coat; his stylish blue pants are paired with brown leather shoes.

“There’s something wrong with Islam,” Hassan, a self-proclaimed atheist, says. “The religion refuses to renew itself.” It needs a “reformation.”

His poems carry titles like “CHILDHOOD” and “DISGUSTED,” dealing with issues like the Holocaust, anti-Semitism, child abuse, and the interplay between violence and religion. Profanity and vivid analogies help carry his work.

A translated excerpt from “LONG POEM:”

“You don’t want pork meat,
    may Allah praise you for your eating habits,
    you want Friday prayer till the next Friday prayer,
    you want Ramadan till the next Ramadan,
    and between the Friday prayers and the Ramadans,
    you want to carry a knife in your pocket,
    you want to go and ask people if they have a problem,
    although the only problem is you.”

Hassan’s biggest complaint seems to be with his own peer group. “There is a massive group of Arabs – Muslims — – that commit crime on a big scale. They steal things, they sell stolen things, or they deal hash. But how can you call yourself a Muslim if all this is forbidden?”

He is careful to clarify the target of his criticism. “I speak about the lower class, the ghetto areas.”

Hassan is a product of this culture, born in what he refers to a “lower class place, a ghetto” in Western Denmark. He says his parents, who came to Denmark from a refugee camp in Lebanon but consider themselves Palestinian, would talk about the horrors they left behind in the Middle East.

He dropped out of school at 13 and soon ended up “living out of a duffel bag” travelling from institution to institution because of behavior problems, including theft. During long periods of isolation – imposed by authorities and his father – he took time to read and grew to love literature, he said.

Danish media have already lauded him as a role model for his generation. Critics such as Tue Nexo Andersen, a literature professor at the University of Copenhagen, said Hassan’s longer works are “almost Walt Whitman-like.”

Hassan, however, knew that publishing his unfiltered thoughts on the Muslims would create problems. “I knew when I would tell my story would break many taboos and many people would get offended and my parents would get angry. But my premise was that I would have to tell it as it is.”

Hassan’s book was published in mid-October, but his name became popular earlier in the month after one of his first big interviews became an online sensation in Denmark. Politiken published a piece titled “I F***ing Hate My Parents’ Generation,” which became the most shared story to ever run on the Danish daily newspaper’s website.

The writer is quick to blame his parents and their contemporaries as the reason he got involved in robberies and quit school. He says his father was physically abusive in his ways of “reprimanding” the family, and the experience shows up in his writing.

Hassan’s parents could not be reached for comment, and have stayed out of the media spotlight.

But Hassan says his poetry is only a generalization, and he wants to move past debates about whether he is a racist or role model. “People can say what they want to about my poems,” he says. “They can call them Islam-criticism, they can call them poetry, but that has nothing to do with the author; it has nothing to do with me.”

In addition to targeting hypocrisy, his poetry, he says, speaks to the problem of Muslims “exploiting the society they live in.” On free speech, Hassan says “Muslims love to take advantage of (it), and as soon as there is someone else saying something critical against them, they want to restrict it.”

Kassem Rachid, an Imam from the Danish city of Aabenraa, said he respects the poet’s right to air his views, but prefers Hassan take a different route.

“I can understand that he grew up in a problematic surrounding, but that does not have to do with religion…of course I know families like the one he describes in his book, but those you find among immigrants as well as native Danes.”

Hassan welcomes dialogue, saying he didn’t become a poet to “build a career” and has “no political agenda.”

As for his harsher critics who have threatened to hurt him, Hassan says “I know these people.” After stubbing out another cigarette, he leans forward putting his elbows on his knees, shivering slightly in response to the cold Scandinavian evening setting in. “They can’t handle criticism…they’re not interested in dialogue.”

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #36 - December 06, 2013, 07:51 AM

So it is true? I found that site claiming it was all a hype by Pamela Gellar. This is awful.

That article you found is referring to Norway anyway, not Sweden.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #37 - December 06, 2013, 08:23 AM

Well keep in mind the article I quoted/linked about the imam ranting about how women shouldn't be respected and then chased a woman with his cock out. If that's the view being taught who the fuck is possibly surprised by this?

Have a look at this. She's tripping over herself to not be offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6k9P7L3tYk

Here's an idea. If they don't have citizenship, kick them the fuck out. And stop pussy footing with "cultural sensitivity" when it comes to things like this. If something is harmful fucking challenge it. And people wonder why resentment against muslims is building, everyone sees problems but no one sees anyone trying to do something about it. On one side, preachers screaming about how everyone else is evil and encouraging rape and dehumanising the "other", on the other politicians with no spine saying "Well they come from a different place, we have to be understanding", blah blah blah.

I'm very happy Europe has welcomed muslims. I'm even more happy that most muslims in the UK identify with the land of their birth and consider it home. But at some point you have to say certain things are NOT acceptable here and challenge these poisonous cunts.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #38 - December 06, 2013, 08:47 AM

Just to add to the above, I think this has a lot to do with the appeal of Yayha Hassan. If he wasn't from that background and his poems weren't of that nature, I doubt anyone would have ever heard of him. It's ridiculous to discard and sweep under the rug the rising tensions. People want them to be addressed. The more this keeps being hushed up, the more the far right will grow.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #39 - December 06, 2013, 10:01 AM

Well keep in mind the article I quoted/linked about the imam ranting about how women shouldn't be respected and then chased a woman with his cock out. If that's the view being taught who the fuck is possibly surprised by this?

Have a look at this. She's tripping over herself to not be offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6k9P7L3tYk

Here's an idea. If they don't have citizenship, kick them the fuck out. And stop pussy footing with "cultural sensitivity" when it comes to things like this. If something is harmful fucking challenge it. And people wonder why resentment against muslims is building, everyone sees problems but no one sees anyone trying to do something about it. On one side, preachers screaming about how everyone else is evil and encouraging rape and dehumanising the "other", on the other politicians with no spine saying "Well they come from a different place, we have to be understanding", blah blah blah.

I'm very happy Europe has welcomed muslims. I'm even more happy that most muslims in the UK identify with the land of their birth and consider it home. But at some point you have to say certain things are NOT acceptable here and challenge these poisonous cunts.

The problem is, when you do exactly that the "racist" or "islamophobe" terms keep popping up. Sweden is the worst, but the rest of Scandinavia has the same problem to a degree. So as long as people are unwilling to talk about this in an honest and constructive way, the real far right and muslim-hating groups, and their blackband white hatefull explenations and solutions, will start appealing to the masses more and more.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #40 - December 06, 2013, 10:10 AM

"You are intolerant because you won't tolerate my intolerance!"

This islamophobia/racism thing really is out of hand. Obviously it exists but people need to stand firm that there is a difference between being against all muslims and saying "I have concerns about certain aspects". Someone (I think it was Edwardo) posted a vid in Sweden/Denmark of about 500 muslims all agreeing that gays should be killed and other delights. "Are they going to call all of us extremist?" was the speakers challenge. Well, here's my answer to that. YES! And you should be challenged.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #41 - December 06, 2013, 04:05 PM

Hmm noticed this a lot when I was at school in Sweden for the year - it was a social science line. We had a Christian guy in our class that supported gay marriage but only when it wasn't conducted in the church, needless to say everyone was on his back about it. He was sort of an outcast in the class because he went to church. We had a Muslim guy that moved from Lebanon that didn't like gay people or Jews, no one once questioned it. I'm mixed race myself, but I found it frustrating that the one time someone bought up homophobia within immigrant communities, he was called racist straight away.
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #42 - December 06, 2013, 04:17 PM

And therein lies the problem. People don't seem to know what racism actually is.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #43 - December 06, 2013, 04:37 PM

Bolded by me.

Couldn´t agree more.

The Swedes, however, (at least the ruling class) beg to disagree as the article below will show, but then the ruling class in Sweden is beyond pedagogical reach.

That prosecutor makes my blood boil. Isn´t his obligation first and foremost to his own countrymen/women ?

By the way the men aren´t too safe either, in 2012 there were 376 reported rapes against males (243 of them were boys under the age of 15). One case is being tried at the moment. The accused needs an Arabic interpreter.

http://snaphanen.dk/2013/11/29/why-is-islam-associated-with-violence/

Raped a dying woman - is allowed to stay in Sweden
    Posted November 29, 2013 at 18:46

The Somali accused of raping a dying woman and then proceeded to have intercourse with her dead body will remain in Sweden. That has become clear since the prosecutor, Daniel Jonsson, has decided not to demand deportation.

- He would probably commit crimes down there as well if he were to be deported, explains the prosecutor to the Free Times.

The Free Times wrote the day before yesterday about the 34-year-old man from Somalia who is accused, among other things, of two rapes and desecration of a dead body..
    According to a lawsuit that prosecutor Daniel Jonsson filed with the Stockholm District Court last week, he raped a sleeping, drunk woman anally on August 13 this year.

Subsequently, the man, already the following month, comitted another rape. According to the indictment, on  September 27 he raped a woman in a parking garage below the Sheraton Hotel in Stockholm.

According to the prosecutor the woman lay dying on the floor of the garage, under the influence of alcohol, medicines and drugs, when the man raped her. According to the indictment she died during the rape - but the man chose nevertheless to continue having intercourse anally with the dead body.

The 34-year-old has been charged not only with two rapes, but also with desecration of a dead body.

The accused is a citizen of Somalia and came to Sweden in 2007. He has already managed to accumulate a long criminal record while in his new homeland.

The first time the man was prosecuted for a crime was in February 2008 when he was sentenced to probation and fined for drug offenses. Then he continued to commit crimes more or less continuously. His criminal records show that he has been tried for over 40 crimes, including sexual assault, theft, assault, and an impressive number of shoplifting and drug offenses.

During the trials at the district court, the man was assisted by a Somali interpreter.
    But although the 34-year-old Somali national has a long criminal record, he will most likely not be expelled, even if he is convicted of the two rapes of helpless women he now stands accused of.

Prosecutor Daniel Jonsson has namely chosen not to demand expulsion.

- There is a rule that says if you have had permanent residence for more than four years, it takes something exceptional in order to expel anyone. I am of the opinion that he has lived here for so long and have had a residence permit so long that you cannot expel him, says Daniel Jonsson when Free Times called him.

According to Jonsson ,in the light of the law and practice in this area it is futile to insist on expulsion. He tells us that the district court legally speaking, is at liberty to have the matter of expulsion tried in court, even if there is no claim for it by the prosecution. In practice, it is unlikely that courts will do it.

When the Free Times asks if he Jonsson, in view of the risk that the 34-year-old will commit more rapes in Sweden, he still does not feel he has a responsibility to try and get the man expelled, he answers no.

- I do not understand why a Somali woman would then be worth less than a Swedish woman in this context. He may well commit crimes down there if he were to be deported, so where that is concerned, I do not differentiate between people, says Jonsson.

Saying no - on Facebook
    Right now Sweden says no to criminal immigrants being allowed to stay in the country after serving their sentences. You can join the petition requiring automatic expulsion for serious offenses by clicking "Like" below.

http://www.friatider.se/valdtog-doende-kvinna-far-stanna-i-sverige

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #44 - December 06, 2013, 05:07 PM

It says at the start he was accused, not convicted and then goes on to say that he committed another rape. So, was he convicted or accused?

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #45 - December 06, 2013, 06:53 PM

If you're not a citizen then being in that country is a privilege, not a right. If you're born and raised there and have no other citizenship then you should be treated like any other criminal who calls the place home.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #46 - December 06, 2013, 06:59 PM

If you're not a citizen then being in that country is a privilege, not a right. If you're born and raised there and have no other citizenship then you should be treated like any other criminal who calls the place home.

Exactly

Citizenships should not be based on religion or ethnicity, if we make exceptions on that kind of basis we are ona slippery slope. We don't need another Nazi episode in our European history. However, I do think that there could be some kind of trial period (perhaps 5 or so years) for newly aquired where they loose it if the commit certain types of (heavy) crimes (like organized crime and narcotics etc, not talking about shop lifting or speeding tickets). But I am not sure yet about that.

We want a tolerant and open society, but that requires that every individual has the same opportunities and rights as well as obligations and responsibilities. We can't shy away from taboo subjects because that feeds the REAL racists and fascists.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #47 - December 06, 2013, 07:25 PM

We want a tolerant and open society, but that requires that every individual has the same opportunities and rights as well as obligations and responsibilities.

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with that. However, as you agreed, if you're not a citizen then being in that country is a privilege not a right. If I got asylum in the US and went about shoplifting, stealing cars, peddling drugs, assaulting people, I would expect to be deported if I wasn't a citizen. I should be deported, because I'm against the public good.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #48 - December 06, 2013, 09:43 PM

That article you found is referring to Norway anyway, not Sweden.

Doh! My bad.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #49 - December 06, 2013, 09:49 PM

I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with that. However, as you agreed, if you're not a citizen then being in that country is a privilege not a right. If I got asylum in the US and went about shoplifting, stealing cars, peddling drugs, assaulting people, I would expect to be deported if I wasn't a citizen. I should be deported, because I'm against the public good.

You would be deported. Stealing a car I think would do it.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #50 - December 07, 2013, 09:15 PM

Doh! My bad.

Well, my bad initially. I saw "Oslo" in Quod's post and for some reason thought Sweden, even though I know perfectly well that Oslo is the capital of Norway and Stockholm is the capital of Sweden. Brain fart.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #51 - December 11, 2013, 07:36 AM

Yahya Hassan's attacker found guilty

The poet was attacked from behind in Copenhagen Central Station in November by a convicted terrorist

The convicted terrorist Isaac Meyer was today found guilty of assaulting the poet Yahya Hassan in Copenhagen Central Station in November.

Hassan is known for his poetry that condemns the behaviour of some immigrants and Muslims who live in ghettos. He has re-ignited a national debate on immigration, and his poems resulted in racism charges being filed against him earlier this month.

Hassan originally claimed that Meyer called him a “non-believer” as he attacked Hassan from behind, but the poet told the court today that he couldn’t remember very much of the assault.

Attack on free speech
    Hassan blamed his memory problems on smoking cannabis, and even claimed to not remember a poem about the assault that he had written and performed in a video for Politiken newspaper.

While Hassan could not remember what his attacker looked like, Meyer admitted to recognising the poet, leading the prosecutor to argue that the assault represented an attack on free speech.

Meyer argued that he was not provoked by Hassan’s poetry, but that he acted impulsively after the poet stared him down on the train platform.

Convicted terrorist
    Meyer changed his name from Abdul Basit Abu-Lifa after completing a jail sentence handed to him as a 17-year-old in 2007 for his involvement in planning terrorist acts in Europe.

Politiken newspaper reports that Meyer plans to appeal the decision to the Eastern High Court.

http://cphpost.dk/news/yahya-hassans-attacker-found-guilty.8052.html

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #52 - December 12, 2013, 01:40 AM

And the plot thickens...

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #53 - December 12, 2013, 01:48 AM

Indeed it does.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #54 - December 12, 2013, 01:51 AM

Yahya Hassan not worried about racism charge

If the young poet ends up avoiding a racism conviction, it will expose the law's flaws according to liberal think-tank Cepos

A Muslim has filed racism charges against 18-year-old poet Yahya Hassan for his comments about the Muslim community and for using degrading terms like 'perker' (a racial slur) in his poems.

Jacob Mchangama, the director of legal affairs at the liberal think-tank Cepos, said Hassan's statements could very well be viewed as violating the racism law.

"The generalising and degrading aspects speak for a possible racism charge, since there has been a range of similar preceding cases," Mchangama told Politiken newspaper.

A local politician in Aarhus, Mohamed Suleban reported Hassan for racism last Wednesday and police in eastern Jutland are currently determining whether or not to press charges.

"He says that everybody in the ghettos like Vollsmose and Gellerup steal, don't pay taxes and cheat themselves to pensions," Suleban told Politiken newspaper. "Those are highly generalising statements and they offend me and many other people."

Yahya Hassan blew off the potential racism charges during the DR2 news program 'Deadline' yesterday.

“I don’t care about getting convicted of racism,” he said, adding that police should target social fraud and the crimes being committed in the ghettos.

Popularity may stand in way of conviction
     If Hassan is charged, it will be for violating section 266b of the criminal code - the so-called racism law. But the public's backing of the poet and all the media attention brought upon him may affect the case and make it harder for the judges to convict him.

"There is a strong case against him, but it is less certain that he would get convicted," Mchangama said. "You can't look away from the fact that his poems are important social commentary."

Earlier this year, Danish-Iranian artist Firoozeh Bazrafkan was convicted of racism after she claimed on her blog that she was “convinced that Muslim men around the world rape, abuse and kill their daughters”. This led to Mchangama and other free speech advocates questioning whether anti-racism laws are fair – or even effective.

"If Hassan isn't convicted for making statements similar to what other people have been convicted for, it will expose a random legislation where no-one can be sure of what is legal to say," Mchangama said.

http://cphpost.dk/news/yahya-hassan-not-worried-about-racism-charge.7967.html

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #55 - December 12, 2013, 07:14 PM

Earlier this year, Danish-Iranian artist Firoozeh Bazrafkan was convicted of racism after she claimed on her blog that she was “convinced that Muslim men around the world rape, abuse and kill their daughters”.

That's not racism. It may be some other ism, but it's not racism.

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #56 - December 12, 2013, 07:17 PM

stereotypism?
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #57 - December 12, 2013, 07:21 PM

Loudmouthasshatism?

• Yayha Hassan
     Reply #58 - December 12, 2013, 07:23 PM

Loudmouthasshatism?

Cheesy
  • Yayha Hassan
     Reply #59 - April 08, 2014, 03:35 PM

Lashing Out in Verse

LEIPZIG, Germany — Like many teenagers, Yahya Hassan does not lack for bravado. But his way of expressing it stands in stark contrast to that of most of his peers: At just 18, the Danish-Palestinian Mr. Hassan has emblazoned himself on Denmark’s consciousness with a poetry collection that appeared with a first print run of 800 last fall and has since sold more than 100,000 copies.

The collection, which criticizes the Danish welfare state, his family and Danish Muslims at large for hypocrisy, cheating and failure to adapt, has won him death threats as well as a dubious embrace by right-wing politicians. But his commercial success is reaching far beyond Denmark’s population of 5.5 million.

Many eyes were turned to Mr. Hassan last month when Ullstein, the German publishing house, rushed out a German translation of his Danish-language verse collection, “Yahya Hassan,” in time for the Leipzig Book Fair. The translation sold 9,000 copies in the first week, an exceptional run for poetry, and the newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine published a German version of the fierce poem Mr. Hassan wrote during his visit to the Kiev revolt against President Victor F. Yanukovych of Ukraine days before his fall in late February.

With his dark ponytail and mesmerizing way of chanting his verse, Mr. Hassan proved a forceful presence at the book fair, an annual event that drew 175,000 visitors in March.

Sporting giant sunglasses, and stylish in a tan jacket and checked trousers, he took the stage and rattled off in Danish six or seven of his poems seemingly almost in a trance, removing the sunglasses to reveal his eyes closed. Even to non-Danish speakers, this proved far more riveting than listening to the same poems repeated blandly in German translation.

Mr. Hassan left his hourlong reading abruptly, declining to sign any books. A few hours later, at a hotel opposite Leipzig’s railway station, he was asked why. “I was done,” he said in his cocksure way during a half-hour interview.

That kind of abrupt clarity marks both the verse — written and printed only in capital letters — and encounters with Mr. Hassan as well. By contrast, all but the basic outlines of his life are shrouded in some mystery.

Mr. Hassan, according to clues in his verse and published reports in Danish media, arrived in Denmark from a Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon as a child. By the time he was 13, he was so much trouble to both his family and society that Denmark’s welfare state essentially made him its ward, shuttling him through a series of institutions. All the while, his contempt for the state and its actions toward him grew.

Or at least that is what he seems to want to have his readers believe. His anger at a violent father who, in Mr. Hassan’s account, displays tenderness only when visiting the mosque to pray, and his dismissal of welfare workers and what he portrays as their pathetic attempts to make him happy, burn with the veracity of firsthand experience. But other aspects of his journey are less clear. For instance, few clues emerge about how he came to love literature, how he induced the police to bring him a copy of ‘’Crime and Punishment” or came to the attention of the literary intelligentsia.

Mr. Hassan gave few answers in the interview, but his texts suggest a few.

In one poem, “Contact Person,” he describes a teacher who returns an essay he has written with the remark that he must have copied it from the Internet. “I INSTANTLY WROTE HER A NEW ONE/ON THE LAST SCHOOL DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS/SHE GAVE ME STRUNGE’S POETRY TO READ,” he writes, referring to Michael Strunge, a young Danish poet who committed suicide in 1986. At the end of the poem, a romance develops between student and teacher, the teacher divorces her husband, and Mr. Hassan moves away “on a frosty clear day in February.”

Who was this person, and what was the story? “I met a lot of people who gave me books and told me about writers and poets,” is all he would say.

A rapper before he became a poet, Mr. Hassan caught the attention of Johannes Riis, the literary director of the Gyldendal publishing house, who met him through other Danish literary figures. Mr. Hassan then wrote some 170 pages of poetry over the course of several months before publishing the first 800 copies of “Yahya Hassan” on Oct. 19. Sales took off after an interview in the Danish daily Politiken whose headline, containing an expletive, quoting him on his hate for his parents’ generation. He describes a disciplinarian father who hits him and his siblings and eventually leaves to marry a second Muslim wife, and he criticizes his mother and other relatives.

He finds particular fault with the ways their lives in Denmark are circumscribed — as are those of so many modern immigrants — by clinging to the remote control that brings satellite TV, in this case Al Arabiya and Al Jazeera, to their living rooms. The images of life in the poorer parts of Aarhus, the port city where Mr. Hassan lived with his family, are bare and dirty. The language used to describe his various brushes with state institutions is rife with expletives.

His observations have appealed not just to the literary establishment, but also — despite the wildness and criminality in his poems — to the kinds of arguments advanced by the anti-immigrant Danish People’s Party. Of that connection, he said in the interview: “It’s all the same to me. I have the responsibility for my poems. I don’t have any responsibility for what others do with them.”

His perceived criticism of the Muslim world in Denmark earned him at least one assault, in a Copenhagen railway station, and dozens of death threats. In the country where the newspaper Jyllands-Posten stirred Muslim anger worldwide after it published cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in 2005, and where the anti-immigrant right-wing won seats in Parliament relatively late — in the 1990s — existing emotions have helped keep the spotlight on Mr. Hassan.

“His talent is so explosive and elementary that I have no doubt it will prevail beyond the frenzied media blitz,” Lars Bukdahl, a Danish poet and poetry editor, said in an email. “He’s great at raging against everything and everyone, including himself, but at the same time, he has this strong eye for detail.” He also has an ability to mix ancient and modern, Rumi and Eminem, Mr. Bukdahl added.

The question now is whether he is just another teenage flash in the pan.

“He is only 18,” Mr. Riis said in a telephone interview from Copenhagen, “but the sheer force of his talent will drive him on.” Already, he said, Mr. Hassan has forced many liberals in Denmark to confront his critical observations of the welfare system and of how Danes cope with immigrants. “Nobody had really paid attention,” Mr. Riis said. “Now he came up with it, and everybody is forced to listen.”

Asked asked how he might see himself at 30, Mr. Hassan said he had no idea.

“I have no favorite poems,” he said. “I hate them all.” Are they a cry from the heart? “I do not cry. I depict with words.”

He added, “I don’t ask as many questions as journalists.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/books/young-immigrant-in-denmark-lashes-out-in-verse.html?_r=0

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »