Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islamic Philosophers....Allama Muhammad Iqbal

(Read 25213 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islamic Philosophers....Allama Muhammad Iqbal
     OP - November 09, 2013, 11:52 PM

So this folder deals with  "Philosophy" And we all know Islamic Philosophy is very unique in the sense many educated Muslims and Muslim Intellectuals think that Islam/Islamic Philosophy that we read in Islamic scriptures Quran+ hadith(some)  is the beginning of the age of   Human enlightenment and everything before the birth of Islam was nothing  but bull shit or bull shit was added in to whatever Prophets said/wrote before Islam. Any ways, So this Islamic Philosophy folder is not complete if we don't discuss one of the greatest Muslims(at least for Indian sub continent) of recent times and that is This man..

Allama Iqbal (1877-1938) : No doubt he was one of great Persons of his times from Indian subcontinent ..

So today  NOVEMBER 9(November 9, 1877) is the birth anniversary of that  poet, philosopher and visionary, Allama Muhammad Iqbal. He is Indeed  an asset to Pakistan..

Hu! Pakistan?? where was Pakistan??  He died on  April 21, 1938  Huh? Indeed I am a fool to make him as Pakistani.. Any ways Let us read bit him and his works on his birth anniversary ..

well that is the collection of  his famous works Off course there must be plenty  in Persian and Urdu Langues.. Let us learn a bit his  Personal life..

Mother of Allama Muhammad Iqbal who died on November 9, 1914. Iqbal expressed his feeling of pathos in a poetic form on death

Iqbal with Muslim politicians. (L to R): M. Iqbal (third), Syed Zafarul Hasan (sixth) at Aligarh Muslim University.

Iqbal was born in Sialkot on 9 November 1877 within the Punjab Province of British India (now in Pakistan). His grandparents were Kashmiri Pandits, the Brahmins of the Sapru clan from Kashmir who converted to Islam. In the 19th century, when Sikhs were taking over rule of Kashmir, his grandfather's family migrated to Punjab. Iqbal often mentioned and commemorated about his Kashmiri Pandit Brahmin lineage in his writings.  Iqbal's father, Sheikh Noor Muhammad, was a tailor, not formally educated but a religious man. Iqbal's mother Imam Bibi was a polite and humble woman who helped the poor and solved the problems of neighbours. She died on 9 November 1914 in Sialkot. Iqbal loved his mother, and on her death he expressed his feelings of pathos in a poetic form elegy.

Iqbal had married three times, in 1895 while studying Bachelor of Arts he had his first marriage with Karim Bibi, the daughter of a Gujarati physician Khan Bahadur Ata Muhammad Khan, through an arranged marriage. They had daughter Miraj Begum and son Aftab Iqbal. Later Iqbal's second marriage was with Sardar Begum mother of Javid Iqbal and third marriage with Mukhtar Begum in December 1914.

Iqbal was influenced by the teachings of Sir Thomas Arnold, his philosophy teacher at Government college Lahore, Arnold's teachings determined Iqbal to pursue higher education in the West.  In 1905, he traveled to England for his higher education. Iqbal qualified for a scholarship from Trinity College in Cambridge and obtained Bachelor of Arts in 1906, and in the same year he was called to the bar as a barrister from Lincoln's Inn. In 1907, Iqbal moved to Germany to study doctorate and earned PhD degree from the Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich in 1908. Working under the guidance of Friedrich Hommel, Iqbal published his doctoral thesis in 1908 entitled: The Development of Metaphysics in Persia.

During Iqbal's stay in Heidelberg, Germany in 1907 his German teacher Emma Wegenast taught him about Goethe's Faust, Heine and Nietzsche. During his study in Europe, Iqbal began to write poetry in Persian. He prioritized it because he believed he had found an easy way to express his thoughts. He would write continuously in Persian throughout his life.

Hu! .. Zebra product  ....  well I will add more later...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - November 10, 2013, 12:04 AM

Some Videos on Allama Muhammad Iqbal

Dr. Annemarie Schimmel on Allama Muhammad Iqbal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gx7bgC5dks

Annemarie Schimmel, SI, HI, (April 7, 1922 – January 26, 2003) was a well known and very influential German Orientalist and scholar, who wrote extensively on Islam and Sufism. She was a professor at Harvard University from 1967 to 1992.

After working voluntarily for half a year in the Reich Labour Service she began studying at the University of Berlin in 1939 at the age of 17, during the period of Nazi Germany. In November 1941 she received a doctorate with the thesis "The position of the Caliph and the Qadi in Late Medieval Egypt" (Die Stellung des Kalifen und der Qadis im spätmittelalterlichen Ägypten). Following this, she was drafted by the German Foreign Office while continuing with her scholarly work in her free time. From May to September 1945 she was detained by US authorities. At the age of 23, she became a professor of Arabic and Islamic studies at the University of Marburg, Germany in 1946, where she earned a second doctorate in the history of religions in 1954.

A turning point in her life came in 1954 when she was appointed Professor of the History of Religion at the University of Ankara (Turkey). There she spent five years teaching in Turkish and immersing herself in the culture and mystical tradition of the country.

She was a faculty member at Harvard University from 1967 to 1992 and became Professor Emerita of Indo-Muslim Culture upon her retirement.  In 1954, Schimmel began to work as a Professor of the History of Religions at Ankara University, Turkey. She was also an honorary professor at the University of Bonn. She published more than 50 books on Islamic literature, mysticism and culture, and translated Persian, Urdu, Arabic, Sindhi and Turkish poetry and literature into English and German

she had defended the outrage of the Islamic world against Salman Rushdie in a television interview

Reply #2 - November 10, 2013, 04:17 AM

this is very informative. i never knew iqbal had studied Nietzsche
     Reply #3 - July 25, 2016, 04:27 PM

History: The Hindu Origins of Allama Sir Mohammad Iqbal

I am beholden to P.V. Rawal of Jammu for sending me a photograph of Allama Iqbal’s Kashmiri Brahmin family taken in Sialkot in 1931. At this time Iqbal was in his mid-fifties. He had already risen to the top as the greatest Urdu poet, at par with Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib. Although he was proud of his Brahmin descent, he had nothing to say about his Hindu relations. In this picture, the elderly lady seated in the middle is his grandmother, Indirani Sapru, nicknamed Poshi, wife of Pandit Kanhaya Lal Sapru. The man standing on the left in a shawl is Iqbal’s cousin, Amarnath Sapru; note the close resemblance to the poet.

The family traces its origin to one Birbal. They lived in the village of Saprain (hence, the surname Sapru) on Shopian-Kulgam road. Then the family moved to Srinagar where Iqbal and most of his cousins were born. Birbal had five sons and a daughter. The third one, Kanhaya Lal, and his wife, Indirani, had three sons and five daughters. Kanhaya Lal was Iqbal’s grandfather. His son, Rattan Lal, converted to Islam and was given the name Nur Mohammad. He married a Muslim woman — Imam Bibi. The Saprus disowned Rattan Lal and severed all connections with him. There are different versions of Rattan Lal’s conversion. The one given to me by Syeda Hameed, who has translated some of Iqbal’s poetry into English, maintains that Rattan Lal was the revenue collector of the Afghan governor of Kashmir. He was caught embezzling money. The governor offered him a choice: he should either convert to Islam or be hanged. Rattan Lal chose to stay alive. When the Afghan governor fled from Kashmir to escape its takeover by the Sikhs, Rattan Lal migrated to Sialkot. Imam Bibi was evidently a Sialkoti Punjabi. Iqbal was born in Sialkot on November 9, 1877. As often happens, the first generation of converts are more kattar than others. Iqbal thus grew up to be a devout Muslim. It is believed that once he called on his Hindu grandmother, then living in Amritsar. But there is no hard evidence of their meeting and of what passed between them; Iqbal did not write about it. Though he had many Hindu and Sikh friends and admirers, he felt that the future of Indian Muslims lay in having a separate state of their own. Iqbal was the principal ideologue of what later become Pakistan. Iqbal’s mother-tongue was Punjabi but he never wrote in it. He used only Persian and Urdu, as did many Urdu poets before him.

and that is written in themuslimtimes.com by   BY DR. ABDUL ALIM ON JULY 27, 2013

but BABBOONS FROM LAND OF PURE tell  different story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOke32xtKzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSRktINZ52E

Reply #4 - November 09, 2017, 05:42 PM

How Jinnah and Iqbal's vision for Pakistan differed by  Dr Syed Jaffar Ahmed.    November 09, 2017

Mohammad Iqbal: Appraisal of His Writings  on Islam and Partition of India  by  Amit Ranjan, PhD

Reply #5 - October 25, 2019, 07:56 PM

UP headmaster In India  suspended  over Iqbal poem says news ...

On Tuesday, the headmaster of a government-run primary school in Uttar Pradesh’s Pilibhit district was suspended because the students in his school had sung the song Lab Pe Aati Hai Dua as part of their morning prayers. The suspension was ordered by the District Magistrate, acting on a complaint filed by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad. The head of the local unit of the Hindutva organisation said that the complaint had been filed because the song is a “ “madrasa prayer” and the headmaster’s decision to allow it to be sung was “anti-national”......

and that is today's news from India read it all at the link

well let me read that poem..

Urdu lyrics   Roman Urdu Transliteration   English Translation

لب پہ آتی ہے دعا بن کے تمنا ميری
    زندگی شمع کی صورت ہو خدايا ميری
    Lab pe aati hai dua ban ke tamanna meri
    Zindagi shamma ki surat ho Khudaya meri
    My longing comes to my lips as supplication of mine
    Oh God! May like the beauty of the candle be the life of mine

دُور دنيا کا مرے دم سے اندھيرا ہو جائے
    ہر جگہ ميرے چمکنے سے اُجالا ہو جائے
    Door dunya ka mere dam se andhera ho jaye
    Har jagha mere chamakne se ujala ho jaye
    May the world's darkness disappear through the life of mine
    May every place light up with the sparkling light of mine

ہو مرے دم سے يونہی ميرے وطن کی زينت
    جس طرح پھول سے ہوتی ہے چمن کی زينت
    Ho mere dam se yunhi mere watan ki zeenat
    Jis tarha phool se hoti hai chaman ki zeenat
    May my homeland through me attain elegance
    As the garden through flowers attains elegance

زندگی ہو مری پروانے کی صورت يا رب
    علم کی شمع سے ہو مجھ کو محبت يا رب
    Zindagi ho meri parwane ki surat ya Rabb
    Ilm ki shamma se ho mujh ko mohabbat ya Rabb
    May my life like that of the moth be oh Lord
    May I love the lamp of knowledge oh Lord

ہو مرا کام غريبوں کی حمايت کرنا
    دردمندوں سے ضعيفوں سے محبت کرنا
    Ho mera kaam gharibon ki himayat karna
    Dardmando se za'eefon se mohabbat karna
    May supportive of the poor my life's way be
    May loving the old, the suffering my way be

مرے اللہ! برائی سے بچانا مُجھ کو
    نيک جو راہ ہو اسی رہ پہ چلانا مجھ کو
    Mere allah burai se bachana mujhko
    Naik jo rah ho, ussi reh pe chalana mujhko
    My God! Protect me from the evil ways
    Show me the path leading to the good ways

... By   Sir Muhammad Iqbal..........1902

So what is the big deal about that poem?? what is that has to do with religion Islam??

Only BRAINLESS BRAN WASHED IDIOTS WILL CONSIDER Urdu means Pakistan Muslim Language., Arabic means Arabian muslim Language., English means western Christian language   or their Hindi means Indian  hindu language

Reply #6 - October 25, 2019, 11:08 PM

a honest case can be made against kids reciting such poetry but not by hindu nationalists.

Quote from:
    The poem in question was written by the ‘Poet of the East’ Mohammed Iqbal in 1902. It has been part of the Urdu syllabus in UP and many other states in the country. The poem essentially teaches young students humanity and patriotism

Quote from:
    Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MANUU) says, “It is not a religious song. It is a prayer for all children.” ... “Today the communalists are calling Iqbal’s poem as communal, tomorrow it could be Ghalib or Faiz,” he said.

https://www.siasat.com/lab-pe-aati-hai-dua-religious-poem-1705250/
     Reply #7 - October 26, 2019, 11:11 AM

a  honest case can be made against kids reciting such poetry but not by hindu nationalists.

honest case???  honest case.... No    nop....
    Hello crumble I guess you missed few letters in that word "honest"  I think  it should be "Dishonest"

On that note let me add a pdf link of that book

Shikwa and Jawab-i- Shikwa (Iqbanslal’s Dialogue with Allah.PDF)

that pdf file is booklet of Muhammad Iqbal poems which was translated by  India's Mr. Khushwant Singh (Translator)

About the Book

Extrolling the legacy of Islam, its civilizing role in history, and confronting the dilemmas of Islam in modern times, Shikwa (1909) and Jawab-i-Shikwa (1913) are two of Iqbal’s most controversial and remarkable poems in Urdu. While Shikwa is in the form of a complaint to Allah for having let his followers down, Jawab-i-Shikwa is Allah’s reply to the poet’s complaint. Using traditional Sufi imagery, the poems represent a poignant effort to reconcile Islam and the West, and transcend religious and ethnic barriers to achieve a pan-Indian voice. This translation, with an introduction and explanatory notes, by Khushwant Singh makes Iqbal come alive. The book also includes a foreword by Rafiq Zakaria.

About the Author

Sir Muhammad Iqbal (1877-1938) was a Muslim poet, philosopher and politician born in Sialkot, British India (now in Pakistan), whose poetry in Urdu and Persian is considered to be among the greatest of the modern era. While his primary reputation is that of a poet, Iqbal is also regarded as a pre-eminent Muslim philosophical thinker.

That is what the link says and let me write a word or so on that Sir Muhammad Iqbal (1877-1938) was a Muslim poet,.. with this picture

Standing (second from left): Late Amarnath Sapru, first cousin of Iqbal.
    Sitting (from left): Raj Kishori Rawal, d/o Amarnath Sapru; grandmother of Iqbal; and Pt. J.N. Rawal, h/o Raj Kishori.   That picture has the family members of  Muhammad Iqbal...

.........I AM beholden to P.V. Rawal of Jammu for sending me a photograph of Allama Iqbal’s Kashmiri Brahmin family taken in Sialkot (now Pakistan) in 1931. By then Iqbal, in his mid-fifties, had risen to the top as the greatest poet of Urdu on level with Mirza Asadullah Khan Ghalib as well as a prominent Muslim politician. Though he was proud of his Brahmin descent, he had nothing to say about his Hindu relations. In this picture the elderely lady seated in the middle is his grandmother Indirani Sapru, nicknamed Poshi, wife of Pandit Kanhaya Lal Sapru. The man standing left in a shawl is his cousin Amarnath Sapru; note the close resemblance to the poet.

The family trace their origin to one Birbal. They lived in village Saprain (hence the surname Sapru) on Shopian-Kulgan road. They moved to Srinagar where most of them were born. Birbal had five sons and a daughter. The third one Kanhaya Lal and his wife Indirani had three sons and five daughters. He was Iqbal’s grandfather. His son Rattan Lal converted to Islam and was given the name Nur Mohammad. He married a Muslim woman Imam Bibi. The Saprus disowned him and severed all connections with him.

There are different versions of Rattan Lal’s conversion. The one given to me by Syeda Hameed, who has translated some of Iqbal’s poetry into English, maintains that Rattan Lal was Revenue Collector of the Afghan Governor of Kashmir. He was caught embezzling money. The Governor made him an offer: either he converted to Islam or be hanged. Rattan Lal chose to stay alive. When the Afghan Governor fled from Kashmir to escape its takeover by the Sikhs, Rattan Lal migrated to Sialkot. Imam Bibi was evidently a Sialkoti Punjabi. Iqbal was born in Sialkot on November 9, 1877.

As often happens, the first generation of converts are more kattar than others, Iqbal grew up to be a devout Muslim. It is believed that once he called on his Hindu grandmother, then living in Amritsar. But there is no hard evidence of their meeting and what passed between them. Iqbal did not write about it. Though he had many Hindu and Sikh friends and admirers, he felt the future of Indian Muslims lay in having a separate state of their own. He was the principal ideologue of what later became Pakistan.

Iqbal’s mother tongue was Punjabi but he never wrote in it— only in Persian and Urdu as did many Urdu poets before him.....................

those who are interested in Muhammad Iqbal story read more  of it from Here

Reply #8 - October 26, 2019, 03:34 PM

"beware of poets and philosophers"- it sounds vaguely islamic but don't let that put you off the advice.
     Reply #9 - October 26, 2019, 06:29 PM

"beware of poets and philosophers"- it sounds vaguely islamic but don't let that put you off the advice.

Well Poem is a poem .. Philosophy is Philosophy..  as long as people have freedom  to Question those poets and philosophers .. it makes no difference what people write

but I didn't get that., What sounds vaguely Islamic dear crumble?  you mean that poem...?

anyway let me add some links here

A rare image of Imam Bibi, the mother of Allama Muhammad Iqbal, 

Reply #10 - October 27, 2019, 10:53 AM

but I didn't get that., What sounds vaguely Islamic dear crumble?  you mean that poem...?

pretty sure there are verses/sayings that critical of poets but by my own uneducated opinion, religious poetry is filled with the worst kind of nonsense.

are you a fan of iqbal? the same chap who set the example of glorifying blasphemy killers?
     Reply #11 - October 27, 2019, 01:38 PM

pretty sure there are verses/sayings that critical of poets but by my own uneducated opinion, religious poetry is filled with the worst kind of nonsense.

well I do like languages and I like poetic languages  irrespective of faith .. Poetry is poetry .. it is for self., it is for hearing NOT IMPOSING ON OTHERS ., As long as people have full freedom to question the poem and to write a poem against it .. I have no problems with any poems and any poetic language from any one dear crumble

are you a fan of iqbal? the same chap who set the example of glorifying blasphemy killers?

I am not fan of any one but I am fan of golden rule and fan of the actions people who use that  golden rule in their lives

I  guess you are talking  about that guy, the 21 year old  Ilm Deen.,    In Pakistan he is always called as  Ghazi Ilm Deen Shaheed   Punjabi Muslim a son of carpenter who assassinated a book publisher named Mahashe Rajpal  a member of Hindu organization Arya Samaj  for publishing the book Rangila Rasul, which was perceived as derogatory towards the Islamic prophet, Muhammad,

I know that story  but I wonder whether you have any link that says Alma Muhammad Iqbal wrote poem  in supporting the action of that 21 year old brain washed young man?

Reply #12 - October 27, 2019, 08:21 PM

if you know the story then you know his involvement as well as jinnah's. the unwise strategy of playing both sides of the coin, ie advocating modernity whilst channeling the mob.

I know that story  but I wonder whether you have any link that says Alma Muhammad Iqbal wrote poem  in supporting the action of that 21 year old brain washed young man?

Reply #13 - October 28, 2019, 01:57 PM

if you know the story then you know his involvement as well as jinnah's. the unwise strategy of playing both sides of the coin, ie advocating modernity whilst channeling the mob.

yes I know the story dear crumble., but I am not sure how to respond to your post.. let me put that story ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXYEJJOWXo

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/12/salmaan-taseer-case-harks-back-to-1929-killing-of-hindu-publisher

It relates to events that happened before Pakistan came into existence but still resonate with many people who see parallels with the contemporary case of Mumtaz Qadri, the former police bodyguard who murdered one of Pakistan’s best-known politicians in the name of blasphemy in 2011.

The charge sheet details how on 6 April 1929, Ilm-Deen “brutally attacked” with a knife the Lahore-based publisher of Rangeela Rasool, a book that had enraged many Muslims with its scurrilous commentary on the life of the prophet Muhammad.

The “first investigation report” on the wall of the shrine says Mahashay Rajpal, the Hindu victim, had tried to defend himself by throwing piles of books at Ilm-Deen, who was soon arrested, still holding the murder weapon.

The killing turned the young man into a hero, earning him the honorifics Ghazi and Shaheed and ensuring he remained famous almost a century later, in part thanks to a popular film celebrating the incident.

Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the lawyer who would found the new state of Pakistan 18 years later, travelled from Mumbai, then known as Bombay, to Lahore to defend Ilm-Deen in his appeal hearing but was unable to save him from being hanged by the colonial government.

His funeral was attended by tens of thousands, including Muhammad Iqbal, Pakistan’s national poet, who gave a graveside eulogy...................

and that is published in  theguardian.com on 2015 w.r.t Salmaan Taseer-murder by another brain washed fool...

So your point " then you know his involvement as well as jinnah's." need to be detailed., the case was much much before Jinnah became Prime Minister  of Pakistan  ., He was Lawyer  that too some 1000 miles of away from Lahore .. So he worked as defense lawyer to a murderer .. who was just 21 year old ..

what is that has to do with Pakistan?? it was not there at that time .. As a defense lawyer Jinnah was trying to save the life of that young murderer ..  We need to think bit more on such events and their timings and the actions of people during that time .. By the way I AM NOT DEFENDING SUCH MURDERS ., I am trying argue in defense of that defense lawyer of such murderers .  well that is what BRAIN WASHED FOOLS STUPID FAITHS SAYING/STORIES DO ...  and ISLAM IS WORST TO DO SUCH THINGS in modern times ..KILL PEOPLE WITH SOME STUPID RELIGIOUS STORIES IN THEIR BRAIN .,  please read the story of my friend .. with whom I used to interact .. life goes on ...

https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=28316.0

and please continue to  write

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #14 - October 29, 2019, 05:28 AM

...................A few months into BJP’s rule in the state, the Babri Masjid was destroyed in Ayodhya and the rest is history. If there is still a ray of hope for the country’s quest for an inclusive culture it comes from the Sikh gurdwaras that have remained scrupulously musical, each culturally resplendent shabad tied distinctly to a particular raga, and every human soul welcomed to the precincts for food and worship.

vMohammad Furqan Ali, the headmaster of a school in Uttar Pradesh, is paying a toll for the sociopolitical restructuring of India currently under way. Ali was suspended last week for teaching the children to sing a ‘Muslim’ prayer penned by Allama Iqbal. “Lab pe aati hai dua ban ke tamanna meri/Zindagi shama ki surat ho khudaya meri”[/size]

My mother’s generation sang it in school or at least her younger sisters did, and they all grew up as uniformly eclectic people, embracing friends and relatives of different faiths, with a singular pursuit of humanism. Iqbal’s poem speaks of the humanist desire of a young petitioner kneeling before God, who wants to live life in the image of a candle, which spreads light in the world and drives away darkness.

Uttar Pradesh, venue of the abuse of this lovely poem and other forms of daily petty-mindedness against Muslims, Christians and Dalits, is ruled by Prime Minister Modi’s handpicked chief minister not known for his love of anyone who differs from his garbled sense of Hinduism. On the contrary, he has inherited the mantle as the head priest of what used to be a formidably inclusive house of meditation in Gorakhpur where Kabir, Guru Nanak and Shah Abdul Latif Bhitai of Sindh, among other saints and mystics, held sway as India’s spiritual lodestar.

Yogi Adityanath and his 20th-century forebears crushed the spiritual pantheon into rubble and aligned the Gorakhpur institution with the hateful politics of Hindutva.

Reference to Allah and Khuda have been cited in Iqbal’s poem to target it as Islamic, not unaware that Gandhiji’s favourite bhajan also referred to Allah and Ishwar as the names of a single entity worshipped in different ways by Muslims and Hindus. But who is Gandhi today and what is his memory worth to stop the orchestrated wickedness stalking India under the right-wing state’s watch?

In the prime minister’s home state of Gujarat, not surprisingly, a question in a school exam for the IX standard recently wanted the students to explain how Gandhiji had harmed himself, euphemism for committing suicide. The question has reportedly shocked the state’s education authorities, and they have apparently initiated an inquiry.

But the erring question is not a stand-alone issue in Modi’s cabinet and parliament. His colleagues are known to deify Nathuram Godse, the Brahmin who killed Gandhi. One of Godse’s devotees is Sadhvi Pragya, who was plucked from prison and fielded as the winning candidate from Bhopal in the recent parliamentary polls. She belongs to a cult within the Hindutva fold that openly worships Godse and loathes Gandhi as an appeaser of Muslims.

Hindutva is not the only challenge to a liberal culture flourishing in India. I recently heard actor Nasiruddin Shah lip-syncing a poem by Asrarul Haq Majaaz adopted by Aligarh Muslim University as its ‘qaumi tarana’. A little-known truth is that the progressive poem with secular and anti-colonial sentiments has been pared down to less than half of the original to comply with the university’s current regressive Muslim makeup.

A reference to the predominantly Muslim campus playing host to people of different faiths has been deleted, as are the lines that refer to the poet’s rage against the British crown and the mullah’s robe equally, which he saw as symbols of a stagnant polity. That complete poem is worth reading too even if Gandhiji would frown on its implicit violence against an exploitative order.............

that is published today in Dawn under the heading As Gandhi commits suicide by Jawed Naqvi from India

well those highlighted words of Jawed Naqvi attracted me to read his works  It appears in India and in Pakistan even   Muslim guys do not  seem to  understand  that Muhammad Iqbal poem is nothing to do  with Islam.,

It is about Complaint & Dialogue with Allah/God..  It is very unfortunate .. Allah is simply Arabic word for God .. it was there much before the birth of Islam in middle east .. unfortunately words like  Allah/Khudha   became synonymous with Islam ... It appears neither Muslims know nor non-Muslim know about such words  .. GOD IN DIFFERENT LANGUES..

https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/god

well that link should help readers  and let me read that Iqbal booklet in English  again to figure out whether it has any Islamic tone to it..

Shikwa and Jawab-i-Shikwa.PDF

Reply #15 - October 29, 2019, 01:23 PM

crumble said this to me
    a honest case can be made against kids reciting such poetry but not by hindu nationalists.

after reading Shikwa and Jawab-i-Shikwa from different people  such as this one.,   http://www.mit.edu/~wqm/Notes/Shikwa_JawabeShikwa.pdf
    from   Shikwa and Jawab-i-Shikwa  and the one from that wonderful   Indian author,   journalist  Khushwant Singh(RIP) I do realize there is a problem and crumble does have a point here

in those highlighted words  and I could see that in “ShikwaJawaab-e-Shikwa”by AllamaMuhammad IqbalTranslation: by SabiehAnwar, FasiZaka& Ali Abbas

Thank you crumble.. I was selectively reading those poetic words LIKE I USED TO READ QURAN HERE & THERE SELECTIVELY but now  I will read  read through much of his work along with this book.. I agree.,  though he was great as person .. he still was NOT an open minded but a  bit brain washed guy .,   That is what faiths do to people ., Unquestionable faiths are the worst .,  Off-course I am looking through my 2019 glasses and he was living in  1920 and 30s and 40s., very very dramatic period for subcontinent folks of that time .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIhKHv6t65g

with best regards
    yeezevee

Reply #16 - October 29, 2019, 09:42 PM

though he was great as person .. he still was NOT an open minded but a  bit brain washed guy .,   That is what faiths do to people ., Unquestionable faiths are the worst .,  Off-course I am looking through my 2019 glasses and he was living in  1920 and 30s and 40s., very very dramatic period for subcontinent folks of that time .

I suspect he wasn't naive enough to be brainwashed. I guess he set a goal to revive a backward religion and unfortunately chose sufi sentiment as his vehicle to acheive that.

Quote from:
    Nations are defined by their religions;
    in religion lies their sanctuary,
    Take your cue from what binds the stars,
    No gravity, no galaxy!

I see only cynical manipulation in those words.
     Reply #17 - October 30, 2019, 05:36 PM

I suspect he wasn't naive enough to be brainwashed. 
    I guess he set a goal to revive a backward religion and unfortunately chose sufi sentiment as his vehicle to acheive that
    No gravity, no galaxy!

Well when  we look at the light through prism  we can split light  in to 7 colors., Some people like some colors and others like other colors.,   He certainly was NOT a guy of science  so.,   that  gravity, galaxy .. origins of universe all that will not come in to his thinking.. He was certainly a poet and political  thinker . He tried his best for his people ( THE MUSLIMS OF INDIAN SUBCONTINENT) ., You also have a point in the sense that he did not  understand Islam to the level that we are understanding and analyzing in 21st century ., as far as this is concerned
    No gravity, no galaxy

You have selected only the response, "Jawaab-e-Shikwa-5"., that should be read along with Shikwa-5  which is
    Shikwa5

We are not alone in error, other peoples have sinned as well.
    Some amongst them modest and shy, some self obsessed.
    Others lazy, callous, cunning
    And scores disdain your name.
    Why must always your good grace seek out these other nations?
    And why must lightning always strike upon our feeble stations?

I see only cynical manipulation in those words.

That is what poets who write religious/social/political poems  do .. Manipulation of words .. they(Poets)  are usually experts in it.. and it was his field of interest., As far as cynical is concerned .. you are looking through your 21st century analytical tools

we will continue to discuss that subject but you must realize., you have selected a stanza from SELECTED STANZAS  OF HIS WRITINGS.. that too those selectors "SabiehAnwar, FasiZaka& Ali Abbas' had wrong Islam laced mindset.

and please continue to debate

with best regards
    yeezevee ..

Reply #18 - January 09, 2020, 12:35 PM

Tarek Fatah - true Muslim Person_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3b-y2TD8iU

This is interesting video that Mr. Tarek Fatah  talks  about... and he talks a bit about Allama Muhammad Iqbal.,   which makes me to think twice...

By the way that is Q & A-4th video in India.. let me put all those tubes of that session here..

Tarek Fatah - true Muslim Person , Tell true story of his journey - 1  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2TIN3-Cfw

Tarek Fatah - true Muslim Person , Tell true story of his journey - 2  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLBWSfagA9M

Tarek Fatah - true Muslim Person , Tell true story of his journey - 3  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMbOkHqANRU

Tarek Fatah - true Muslim Person_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3b-y2TD8iU

but for me that 4th session is interesting as he talks about Allama Muhammad Iqbal

Reply #19 - January 21, 2020, 04:33 PM

Science to Anti-Science | A Journey from Sir Syed Ahmad Khan To Allama Iqbal with Pervez Hoodbhoy...  Jan 7, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hCAPhbves

Reply #20 - October 01, 2020, 01:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJs0MFrPfoI

Harf e Raaz with Orya Maqbool Jan .. India.. Allama Muhammad Iqbal.. Gandhi...Jinnah and babri masjid

Reply #21 - October 01, 2020, 01:49 PM

Science to Anti-Science | A Journey from Sir Syed Ahmad Khan To Allama Iqbal with Pervez Hoodbhoy.

I wonder why he hasn't read the writing on the wall and given up on pakistan? That's the rational thing to do for the remainder of his lifetime.
     Reply #22 - February 03, 2021, 01:51 PM

Well News is raging about this statue  at Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park in Lahore 

And twitter comments lights up internet on it.. That stare of that statue  looks like  some 10 year old kid mad it..  anyways news says..

The story behind Allama Iqbal's statue in Lahore

A statue of the late national poet, Allama Iqbal, at Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park in Lahore has Twitter riled up. People have taken offence to the questionable state of the statue, calling it a disgrace to the man it aims to honour.

"We started constructing it during the first wave of the coronavirus. It took us three months to bring some shape to it," the former director of the park, Ghulam Sibtain, who lead the construction initiative, told Dawn.

“We did not hire any architect to make the statue but two gardeners worked on it.”

what..... two gardeners  worked for three months to to make that statue to put it in public park??  .. TAKE IT TO YUR HOME YU IDIOT.. don't [put that cartoon in publics parks you fool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSQvzDCrp98

Reply #23 - February 04, 2021, 10:17 AM

Hmm,,   let me waste some time to watch imbecile high school drop outs  on Iqbal    and his religious/intellectual ideologies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjz_paUdwe0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJNP7rimIP4

well  clearly they know the names of number of intellectual giants of their time

Reply #24 - September 20, 2022, 10:26 AM

Iqbal Academy: Special Lecture: Iqbal and Poets of Arab before Islam : Dr. Waheed Uz Zaman Tariq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG5_cHfaMRM

Iqbal Academy: Iqbal and Poets of Arab before Islam : Dr. Waheed Uz Zaman Tariq - Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGX0EBy9WI

allamaiqbalstamps.blogspot.com/2019/11/prize-distribution-ceremony-life-time.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF1x3N-ugiI

A Lecture on Allama Dr. Muhammad Iqbal's Multidimensional Wisdom: His Vision for Social, Scientific & Technological Revival of the Ummah at the 2nd International Conference on Allama Dr. Muhammad Iqbal, in Commemoration of & to Highlight the Literary Efforts & Works of the National Poet, in Bahria University, Lahore, Pakistan, by Professor Brig (R) Dr. Waheed uz Zaman Tariq.

Dabistan-e-Iqbal
    Plot # 2 Block S Gulberg II Lahore Pakistan
    +92 42 357 786 88
    info@dabistaneiqbal.org
    www.dabistaneiqbal.org
    https://twitter.com/tariqtariqwz?lang=en

And that fellow is Waheed uz Zaman Tariq
    Professor and Head Department of Infectious Diseases at Chughtai Lab Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan., It is very unfortunate .. Such intelligent folks fall for  ............  oh well   there is a serious problem with human brains., He  was one of the author and authority of this MANUAL OF LABORATORY MEDICINE - WordPress.com  Mannual

and let me scan through this

https://www.youtube.com/c/DabistaneIqbal

Reply #25 - July 10, 2023, 09:06 PM

Top 25 Facts about Allama Iqbal's family, Is Allama Iqbal's family Qadiani?| Allama Iqbal Life story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvVQzh8eqs

Do you know who is Qadiani in Allama Iqbal's family? Why did Allama Iqbal deprive his eldest son of his property? How about the incident that when Allama Iqbal asked for vote, a Lahori got naked in front of him? Why can't Nawaz Sharif, son of Allama Iqbal, Javed Iqbal be made the Prime Minister of Pakistan? Why is the grave of Allama Muhammad Iqbal built in Turkey? How many grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Allama Iqbal are there and who does what? In today's video, 25 interesting facts will be shared with you regarding the family and all descendants of Allama Muhammad Iqbal.

that is what that young lady  kinzafarman  writes under that you tube on   .Allama Muhammad Iqbal

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »