Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: I disapprove of what you say

(Read 11520 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • I disapprove of what you say
     OP - November 06, 2013, 02:09 PM

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    -Voltaire-

Do you agree with it?
    Now that I have left Islam, for me it's even impossible to defend someone who is saying " women are inferior". How can I defend someone whom I totally disagree with? Is it intolerant?
    Freedom of expression means everything, so would you defend someone saying that " wife beating is not a big deal"?
    Or in general, defending someone promoting violence ?
     Reply #1 - November 06, 2013, 02:34 PM

You're not defending the message, you're defending the right for someone to express what they think, even if it's batshit crazy. This way, opposing and counter arguments can freely be expressed too and hopefully, right minded people will know which message to take on board and accept. But people are batshit crazy anyway so fuck 'em.
     Reply #2 - November 06, 2013, 08:08 PM

^ That. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - November 06, 2013, 08:34 PM

Hitch on free speech
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyoOfRog1EM

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #4 - November 06, 2013, 09:24 PM

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
    -Voltaire-

Do you agree with it?
    Now that I have left Islam, for me it's even impossible to defend someone who is saying " women are inferior". How can I defend someone whom I totally disagree with? Is it intolerant?
    Freedom of expression means everything, so would you defend someone saying that " wife beating is not a big deal"?
    Or in general, defending someone promoting violence ?

Yes. Our non-religious views were perceived as Bat-shit crazy in the past, and the right to freely speak quite certainly helped us gain credibility. I think that there are many grey areas though.
     Reply #5 - November 06, 2013, 10:00 PM

You're not defending the message, you're defending the right for someone to express what they think, even if it's batshit crazy.

Yeah, i confused the two ideas. Ok now i start defending their right to say bullshit. What if i go on street screaming "islam is bullshit" (which currently i cant) and they consider me an islamophobe? Will they listen to my bullshit?
    Expression of freedom means everything and it shouldnt be even one-sided

Thanks for the video!  Afro

Reply #6 - November 07, 2013, 07:04 AM

Ok now i start defending their right to say bullshit. What if i go on street screaming "islam is bullshit" (which currently i cant) and they consider me an islamophobe? Will they listen to my bullshit?
    Expression of freedom means everything and it shouldnt be even one-sided

This Afro

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #7 - July 07, 2018, 10:33 PM

Since international audiences tend to not understand my natural twang, I was using my "none Brits listening" voice. I start at 1:01:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNeZnr-Sfo

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #8 - August 08, 2018, 05:52 PM

Thread split.
     Reply #9 - August 09, 2018, 02:43 PM

Since international audiences tend to not understand my natural twang, I was using my "none Brits listening" voice. I start at 1:01:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNeZnr-Sfo

QSE   I am listening .. I am listening you ..Though you are in right path but you could not convince that guy on wrong paths of blasphemy and could not  question him on his example a lady praying story to defend "State/Rulers" using Blasphemy laws...

I don't think that fellow understands Blasphemy laws of faiths  and how they were/they are used

you see if it was written exchange of ideas on that debate I believe you could have done much better in defending your views,   Anyways I am glad to hear your voice on that "Freedom of Speech"  but you could not  defend that freedom of speech when he tried to corner you with that lady story..  let me hear that again  1:01:20.  to 1:11:00 of that tube

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #10 - August 12, 2018, 01:32 AM

I don;t think he understands either, but on the point about the old woman in the chapal, why would I try to argue against her belief? In that context, it just seems cruel.

Reply #11 - August 25, 2018, 06:35 PM

yeez, I actually want an answer., You said I couldn't question him. I very easily could. But on this particular subject, why would I? As I said, in that context, it just seems cruel. Assuming by question you mean I should of argued for slagging off a grieving woman's comfort.

Reply #12 - August 25, 2018, 08:44 PM

yeez, I actually want an answer.,

QSE... RAVEN....lol... I will give you answer .. but I need to transcribe that discussion in to words..
    You said I couldn't question him. I very easily could. But on this particular subject, why would I? As I said, in that context, it just seems cruel. Assuming by question you mean I should of argued for slagging off a grieving woman's comfort.

Nope.. noooo.. I didn't say that..  here what I said was

Though you are in right path but you could not convince that guy on wrong paths of blasphemy and could not  question him on his example a lady praying story to defend "State/Rulers" using Blasphemy laws..

and.. add that to the text below dear QSE
    you see if it was written exchange of ideas on that debate I believe you could have done much better in defending your views,   Anyways I am glad to hear your voice on that "Freedom of Speech" but you could not  defend that freedom of speech when he tried to corner you with that lady story..  let me hear that again  1:01:20.  to 1:11:00 of that tube ..

But I will get back on that Ha! it took a month for you to come back on that Cheesy

Reply #13 - September 15, 2018, 10:43 AM

QSE... RAVEN....lol... I will give you answer .. but I need to transcribe that discussion in to words..

So, are you going to? As apparently you need to.

Reply #14 - September 17, 2018, 05:24 AM

So, are you going to? As apparently you need to.

yes  i need do that .. dear QSE...time problem..  sleeping problem ..  but let me watch this...and think about this a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfuXseuHyko

Reply #15 - October 08, 2021, 02:09 AM

Thread split.

https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=31589.0

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »