Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islamic Medicine

(Read 1698 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islamic Medicine
     OP - October 08, 2013, 03:20 AM

In light of the Black seeds hadith, *although I must admit that there are, indeed, many benefits to the oil extracted from them*, I have decided to make a thread about hadiths that seem, from a medical standpoint, very superstitious and strange. Feel free to add more.

Sahih Muslim, Book 026, Number 5544:
    Salim, on the authority of his father. reported Allah's Apostle as saying: Kill the snakes having stripes over them and short-tailed snakes, for these two types cause miscarriage (of a pregnant woman) and they affect the eyesight adversely. So Ibn 'Umar used to kill every snake that he found. Abu Lubaba b. 'Abd al-Mundhir and Zaid b. Khattab saw him pursuing a snake, whereupon he said: They were forbidden (to kill) those snakes who live in houses.

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: that he paid Al-Muqanna a visit during his illness and said, "I will not leave till he gets cupped, for I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "There is healing in cupping." 

Narrated Um Qais: I went to Allah's Apostle along with a a son of mine whose palate and tonsils I had pressed with my finger as a treatment for a (throat and tonsil) disease. The Prophet said, "Why do you pain your children by pressing their throats! Use Ud Al-Hindi (certain Indian incense) for it cures seven diseases, one of which is pleurisy. It is used as a snuff for treating throat and tonsil disease and it is inserted into one side of the mouth of one suffering from pleurisy (lung inflammation)." 

Narrated Al-Aswad: I asked 'Aisha about treating poisonous stings (a snake-bite or a scorpion sting) with a Ruqya. She said, "The Prophet allowed the treatment of poisonous sting with Ruqya." 
  • Islamic Medicine
     Reply #1 - October 08, 2013, 03:51 AM

-
  • Islamic Medicine
     Reply #2 - October 20, 2013, 11:49 AM

These are all from Sahih Bukhari's 'Book of Medicine'.

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 673:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    Allah's Apostle said, "If a fly falls in the vessel of any of you, let him dip all of it (into the vessel) and then throw it away, for in one of its wings there is a disease and in the other there is healing (antidote for it) i e. the treatment for that disease."

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 672:
    Narrated Abu Tha'laba Al-Khushani:
    The Prophet forbade the eating of wild animals having fangs. (Az-Zuhri said: I did not hear this narration except when I went to Sham.) Al-Laith said: Narrated Yunus: I asked Ibn Shihab, "May we perform the ablution with the milk of she-asses or drink it, or drink the bile of wild animals or urine of camels?" He replied, "The Muslims used to treat themselves with that and did not see any harm in it. As for the milk of she-asses, we have learnt that Allah's Apostle forbade the eating of their meat, but we have not received any information whether drinking of their milk is allowed or forbidden." As for the bile of wild animals, Ibn Shihab said, "Abu Idris Al-Khaulani told me that Allah's Apostle forbade the eating of the flesh of every wild beast having fangs . "

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 671:
    Narrated Sad:
    I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "Whoever takes seven 'Ajwa dates in the morning will not be affected by magic or poison on that day."

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 646:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    The Prophet used to treat some of his wives by passing his right hand over the place of ailment and used to say, "O Lord of the people! Remove the difficulty and bring about healing as You are the Healer. There is no healing but Your Healing, a healing that will leave no ailment."

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 621:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    The Prophet said, "Fever is from the heat of Hell, so abate fever with water."

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 618:
    Narrated Sahl bin Saud As-Sa'idi:
    When the helmet broke on the head of the Prophet and his face became covered with blood and his incisor tooth broke (i.e. during the battle of Uhud), 'Ali used to bring water in his shield while Fatima was washing the blood off his face. When Fatima saw that the bleeding increased because of the water, she took a mat (of palm leaves), burnt it, and stuck it (the burnt ashes) on the wound of Allah's Apostle, whereupon the bleeding stopped.

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 609:
    Narrated Said bin Zaid:
    I heard the Prophet saying, "Truffles are like Manna (i.e. they grow naturally without man's care) and their water heals eye diseases."

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 604:
    Narrated Ka'b bin Ujrah:
    The Prophet came to me during the period of Al-Hudaibiya, while I was lighting fire underneath a cooking pot and lice were falling down my head. He said, "Do your lice hurt you?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Shave your head and fast for three days or feed six poor persons or slaughter a sheep as a sacrifice:"

Volume 7, Book 71, Number 596:
    Narrated Um Qais bint Mihsan:
    I heard the Prophet saying, "Treat with the Indian incense, for it has healing for seven diseases; it is to be sniffed by one having throat trouble, and to be put into one side of the mouth of one suffering from pleurisy." Once I went to Allah's Apostle with a son of mine who would not eat any food, and the boy passed urine on him whereupon he asked for some water and sprinkled it over the place of urine.

Funny, aren't they?  Cheesy

'My principal sin is doubt. I doubt everything, and am in doubt most of the time,' Levin said.
    ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
  • Islamic Medicine
     Reply #3 - October 20, 2013, 06:35 PM

It kinda amusing to see some of the developments of medicine from the middle-east despite some of the nonsense found in religious texts
  • Islamic Medicine
     Reply #4 - October 20, 2013, 06:42 PM

Once I went to Allah's Apostle with a son of mine who would not eat any food, and the boy passed urine on him.

That kid deserves a standing ovation.  Cheesy
  • Islamic Medicine
     Reply #5 - October 20, 2013, 07:23 PM

Playing word association with the OP.

Bitter. (No sweet)

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
  • Islamic Medicine
     Reply #6 - October 20, 2013, 09:19 PM

I heard the Prophet saying, "Treat with the Indian incense, for it has healing for seven diseases; it is to be sniffed by one having throat trouble, and to be put into one side of the mouth of one suffering from pleurisy." Once I went to Allah's Apostle with a son of mine who would not eat any food, and the boy passed urine on him whereupon he asked for some water and sprinkled it over the place of urine.

Funny, aren't they?  Cheesy

أَخْبَرَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، عَنْ مَالِكٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عُتْبَةَ، عَنْ أُمِّ قَيْسٍ بِنْتِ مِحْصَنٍ، أَنَّهَا أَتَتْ بِابْنٍ لَهَا صَغِيرٍ لَمْ يَأْكُلِ الطَّعَامَ إِلَى رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَأَجْلَسَهُ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فِي حَجْرِهِ فَبَالَ عَلَى ثَوْبِهِ فَدَعَا بِمَاءٍ فَنَضَحَهُ وَلَمْ يَغْسِلْهُ ‏.‏

It was narrated from Umm Qais bin Mihsan that she brought a small son of hers who has not started eating food to the Messenger of Allah (). The Messenger of Allah () took him in his lap and he urinated on his garment, so he called for some water and sprinkled it on it, but he did not wash it.

that is the right one and let me add another nonsense to it from sunnah.com/
    Abu Musa said:

The Prophet asked for a tumbler containing water and washed both his hands and face in it and then threw a mouthful of water in the tumbler and said to both of us (Abu Musa and Bilal), "Drink from the tumbler and pour some of its water on your faces and chests.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Islamic Medicine
     Reply #7 - October 20, 2013, 09:29 PM

Narrated Um Qais: I went to Allah's Apostle along with a a son of mine whose palate and tonsils I had pressed with my finger as a treatment for a (throat and tonsil) disease. The Prophet said, "Why do you pain your children by pressing their throats! Use Ud Al-Hindi (certain Indian incense) for it cures seven diseases, one of which is pleurisy. It is used as a snuff for treating throat and tonsil disease and it is inserted into one side of the mouth of one suffering from pleurisy (lung inflammation)."

I heard the Prophet saying, "Treat with the Indian incense, for it has healing for seven diseases; it is to be sniffed by one having throat trouble, and to be put into one side of the mouth of one suffering from pleurisy."

This one may not be as silly as it sounds. Bear in mind that this was the 7th century, so modern medicines were not available. It would depend on what plants were used to make the incense, but quite a lot of plants do contain compounds that have anti-bacterial and/or anti-fungal properties. Funnily enough, these plants also often smell good to us (or at least some of us). Cinnamon is one good example, off the top of my head.

It's possible that in this case Mohammed was just referring to a known herbal/folk medicine recommendation, which if nothing else might help alleviate symptoms.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »