Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Religion Being Preached In Schools

(Read 14671 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Religion Being Preached In Schools
     OP - September 28, 2013, 05:30 PM

I am do not believe religion should be endorsed in the U.S. school system. Am currently arguing with another Christian who believes Christianity should be preached in the the public school system. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Anyway there a battle going on the U.S. school system to preach religion to children. It is not the job of teachers to be promoting religion in the classroom. The U.S. is a Christian majority country but we are very diverse. The reason why we have a separation of state and religion is to keep one Christian denomination from forcing their views on others. Besides one can still practice their religion without support from the teachers.
     Reply #1 - September 28, 2013, 05:35 PM

I agree with you. No religion shuld be endorsed/preached as part of the school's policy or curriculum.

However, religion should be taught alongside ethics/philosophy as is done in the UK under 'Religious Studies'.

What arguments has your friend put forward?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

Women must write modestly and all men must lower their case.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #2 - September 28, 2013, 05:44 PM

He keeps on saying children need to here Jesus, that is why he believes Christian should be in the schools.

The U.S. is a Christian majority country. It is the job of their parents to raise them as Christians.
     Reply #3 - September 28, 2013, 05:52 PM

What's so special about Jesus?

There is Church for that. Why don't you tell him that the parents should send the children to church.

Why do youa rgue with people like that?

No free mixing of the sexes is permitted on these forums or via PM or the various chat groups that are operating.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?425649-Have-some-Hayaa-%28modesty-shame%29-people!
     Reply #4 - September 28, 2013, 05:53 PM

The U.S. is a Christian majority country. It is the job of their parents to raise them as Christians.

Non sequitur. Tongue

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - September 28, 2013, 05:54 PM

There is Church for that. Why don't you tell him that the parents should send the children to church.

Why do you argue with people like that?

Reply #6 - September 28, 2013, 06:18 PM

If he's a true believer he probably looks at it from a moral standpoint. You don't get them to believe Jesus is the living god and accept him as Lord and Saviour, you're knowingly condemning children to hell for all eternity. Fucking sick teaching. Same as islam really, unbelievers go to hell.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #7 - September 28, 2013, 06:21 PM

I just wanted to know why that particular guy thinks Jesus is so special.

If it's the whole Jesus is our Saviour nonsense then I'd like to know why a Christian who is committed to the faith object to that.

Reply #8 - September 28, 2013, 06:24 PM

I just wanted to know why that particular guy thinks Jesus is so special.

Because he's Christian. Christians think Jesus is special. They're like that. Roll Eyes

Reply #9 - September 28, 2013, 06:28 PM

Well duh Batman!

Obviously! But why is he so special that he needs to be in school preaching to the kids. What has he got to say to them that they won't hear in Sunday school.

It's like people read one post and not the others that preceeded it in order to put everything in its appropriate context.

Reply #10 - September 28, 2013, 06:34 PM

Well duh Batman!

Obviously!

Then why did you ask? Cheesy

He's probably one of those "The US is a Christian country!" type of Christians.

Reply #11 - September 28, 2013, 06:40 PM

Read the rest of the post silly. I want to know why HE thinks Jesus is so special not YOU. Unless you can Charles Xavier it.

What is it with you? Don't you know not to fuck with a Jedi Master?

Reply #12 - September 28, 2013, 06:47 PM

I don't think Jesus is special. Tongue

Reply #13 - September 28, 2013, 06:55 PM

Why do youa rgue with people like that?

We believe Jesus is the son of God who died on the cross to bring salvation to the world.

Telling him that is like talking to a wall of bricks.

Reply #14 - September 28, 2013, 06:56 PM

Jesus was cool. Had some major faults, but he was overall pretty cool. He was like a 1st century Zinoviev or Trotsky with some David Koresh and Gandhi thrown in there.  grin12

fuck you
     Reply #15 - September 28, 2013, 06:59 PM

"si Jesús viviera, sería guerrillero."-- Camilo Torres Restrepo, Catholic priest and communist guerrilla fighter.

fuck you
     Reply #16 - September 28, 2013, 07:25 PM

Yes Jesus lives but he is not a warrior my friend.
     Reply #17 - September 28, 2013, 07:35 PM

C1981. What is Jesus Christ to you.

I have borrowed Reza Aslan's 'Zealot' from the library and would like to know your views on the ol' JC.

Reply #18 - September 28, 2013, 08:16 PM

Jedi I already summed up who Jesus Christ is to me.

Jesus is the Son Of God who died on the cross to bring Salvation to the world.

I heard of Reza Aslan. He's a Muslim who writes on Jesus.
     Reply #19 - September 28, 2013, 08:18 PM

He's a religious scholar, shouldn't that be more important unless he's writing from a dawah/muslim propaganda point?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #20 - September 28, 2013, 08:19 PM

Is that it? That is all Jesus means to you. Some guy who died on across to forgive you of your sins and lead you to Wonderland?

Reza Aslan is a SCHOLAR who writes about Jesus. His religious faith is irrelevant. Why did you say 'Muslim who writes about Jesus?'

Have you fallen into the right wing Christian nut job trap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL6E4eMX-4k

Reply #21 - September 28, 2013, 08:21 PM

Yes Jesus lives but he is not a warrior my friend.

Conditional tense (I think that's the term for it). The translation would be if Jesus were alive today, he would be a guerrilla. Otherwise it would be "Jesus vive" not "Jesus viviera." Also "si" in this context means "if"

EDIT: Also Jesus said "I come not to bring peace to the world, but a sword" Jesus was a revolutionary, at least in one commonly-held interpretation of his life, which was enough to inspire the Levellers and Diggers of the English Civil War and the Liberation Theology movement in Latin America and the Christian anarchist movement in Russia, and the Catholic Worker movement in the US.

fuck you
     Reply #22 - September 28, 2013, 08:27 PM

As QI you once posted about Muslims and Communists allying as an example of two different "evils" being able to support each other. Well the historical and contemporary links between Christians and Communists is much, much stronger. Just sayin.

fuck you
     Reply #23 - September 28, 2013, 08:29 PM

Liberation theology? I think it was Maduro (or Gramsci) that mentioned it once or twice.

Reply #24 - September 28, 2013, 08:51 PM

He's a religious scholar, shouldn't that be more important unless he's writing from a dawah/muslim propaganda point?

There are other scholars that have different viewpoints then he does. Bart Ehrman is an Atheist and is a religious scholar. Then there are scholars like Karen Armstrong.
     Reply #25 - September 28, 2013, 08:57 PM

Jedi
    Is that it? That is all Jesus means to you. Some guy who died on across to forgive you of your sins and lead you to Wonderland?

Jedi my opinion just about sums what Jesus is. The four Gospels are about his divinity, his humanity, Jesus being the Jewish Messiah, and his death on the cross. His teachings are in all four of the Gospels.

Reza Aslan is a SCHOLAR who writes about Jesus. His religious faith is irrelevant. Why did you say 'Muslim who writes about Jesus?'

Have you fallen into the right wing Christian nut job trap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL6E4eMX-4k

Hmmmm maybe.

Reply #26 - September 28, 2013, 08:58 PM

Conditional tense (I think that's the term for it). The translation would be if Jesus were alive today, he would be a guerrilla. Otherwise it would be "Jesus vive" not "Jesus viviera." Also "si" in this context means "if"

EDIT: Also Jesus said "I come not to bring peace to the world, but a sword" Jesus was a revolutionary, at least in one commonly-held interpretation of his life, which was enough to inspire the Levellers and Diggers of the English Civil War and the Liberation Theology movement in Latin America and the Christian anarchist movement in Russia, and the Catholic Worker movement in the US.

Jesus was neither Conservative nor a Liberal. He is not what people try to make him to be.
     Reply #27 - September 28, 2013, 08:59 PM

Jesus isn't the jewish messiah.

Reply #28 - September 28, 2013, 09:00 PM

As QI you once posted about Muslims and Communists allying as an example of two different "evils" being able to support each other. Well the historical and contemporary links between Christians and Communists is much, much stronger. Just sayin.

Damn your memory is better then mine.

Of course there are Christians who are Communist.
     Reply #29 - September 28, 2013, 09:00 PM

Jesus isn't the jewish messiah.

I know most Jews don't see him as the Messiah. This is what I believe.
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »